Would you use a chat room?

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a GA chat room?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends (you must explain if you pick this one!)

This is in a totally unofficial capacity that I'm asking, so don't get any ideas.

We used to have a chat room here on GA that members would frequent quite often. A while back we had some issues arrise that caused a lot of members to leave. Since then, most of them have come back.

My question is, if there was a GA chat room, would you use it? How often? Is there any reason you wouldn't use it?

Joe

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use it, probably on a nightly basis.

I would use it as we'll, the only problem is with a chat room people tend to use it instead of posting on the forums ><

But don't get me wrong chatrooms are great!!!.

I would use it as we'll, the only problem is with a chat room people tend to use it instead of posting on the forums ><

But don't get me wrong chatrooms are great!!!.

Well from the previous chat that we had, I can say that the topics almost never replaced forum use. The topics in the chat room were usually off the wall and had nothing to do with GA unless we focused them on purpose.

Yes I would, but if I remember well, the oldest chat room was canceled by the site owner, because of some legal abuse (??) and the last chat room was canceled for economic reasons because nobody used it.

BTW, because of the time gap between US and Europa, I stand up at 3 am local time so I could participate. It was fun :lol:

Well it seems I'm the only person who voted "No" so far :*) Really I suppose my answer is more of a "rarely" anyway.

WAY back in the day in the first 5 or 6 months after I joined I used to frequent the chat room quite regularly, then I didn't go at all for several months, then only sporadically later on when we were having the problems/infrequent use.

Anyway, in all honesty it's just not something I personally am particularly interested in right now. That said I do actually favour bringing it back if that would be a feasible, resource effective move. Lots of other people did enjoy it :) Besides at some point down the road I may use it regularly myself.

Take care all and have a great day!

Kevin

• Site Administrator

I voted NO, though my answer is probably more like Kevin's (I have to stop copying him) because it would be "rarely". A lot of the time I'm online, I'm actually at work. I can do my job while browsing forums and answer posts/PM's, but I can't if I'm in a chat room -- from past experience it required too much attention and interaction.

The times I'm not working, I still probably wouldn't use the chat room because I have other things I want to do that require some level of concentration.

I'd drop in from time to time, when my situation allows, but I wouldn't be a regular visitor.

I voted yes as I've used the GA chat rooms in the past. I kind of stopped before it was closed the first time though, but that was because I didn't know a lot of people at the time as I was kind of still new to GA.

Anyway, now that I know more people I would want to use it more.

Krista

I voted no because like Kevin and Graeme, I would use it rarely if at all. I don't have a lot of time for relaxation when I'm out on the road, so I wouldn't use it then. I'm not home that much and may not use it there, either.

About the time I wanted to use the last one, it was taken away.

Of course, I've never been in any chatroom ever, so might not participate for that reason alone. :(

I voted no because like Kevin and Graeme, I would use it rarely if at all. I don't have a lot of time for relaxation when I'm out on the road, so I wouldn't use it then. I'm not home that much and may not use it there, either.

About the time I wanted to use the last one, it was taken away.

Of course, I've never been in any chatroom ever, so might not participate for that reason alone. :(

There's always a first time for everything. (And a last, but that's too unispirational to be said)

I might use it, it's hard to say. I'd try to, though.

I used it before, and would probably use it again. Chat has an immediacy that forums don't possess, and for shy people like me it's perfect. I'm reticent to post unless I have something useful to say, but a chat room loosens me up and lets me participate with phatic conversation until real ideas kick in.

--Rigel

True but as Joe stated already, most liket the chat room would be totally differen't from what we chat about on the forums, so it wouldn't hurt the forums at all, hopefully.... I know i'll still post lots even with a chat feature.

No... And my reasons aree---->>>

It would defeat the purpose of the Forum. Here too we can chat, and I'd encourage the use of the forum rather than a chat room.

:)

Just my one and a half cents... :P

BeaStKid

True but as Joe stated already, most liket the chat room would be totally differen't from what we chat about on the forums, so it wouldn't hurt the forums at all, hopefully.... I know i'll still post lots even with a chat feature.

but that would divert the traffic towards the chat area! :P

Not quite. When we had the chat room before, the regulars in there seemed to be the most frequent posters on the forums. Most of the time the chat room revolved around peoples personal life and what was going on there. Other times we would play games to pass the time if no one had anything interesting to talk about.

For the most part, all of the people that went on the SF trip were regulars in the chat at one point or another. I know I formed most of my GA friendships through the chat room. But that may be because I don't read the forums regularly enough to get to know a lot of people.

There's always a first time for everything. (And a last, but that's too unispirational to be said)

LOL :lol:

I guess it depends on how it's done. I mean perhaps your friend just went through some painful experience, it might be nice to throw an arm around them and say, "Don't worry, there's always a last time for everything!".