motivating reviewers

There's a great atmosphere at GA that motivates people to participate in the forum and make posts. I think it would be cool if we could get that same sort of feeling with reviews, i.e. somehow encourage people to provide more feedback to eFiction authors. Obviously it makes the writers happy. :D Also, I think most budding authors start off in eFiction, where it's hard to get noticed and attract readers. The best way to discourage a new writer is the lack of response (or, I guess, a negative response... but sometimes I would prefer being flamed to being ignored). And this is also a good way to get readers to branch out and try reading some pieces that they normally wouldn't.

What does everyone think?

PS This might not be the most appropriate spot for this post, but writers care more about reviews than readers do, presumably.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a great idea.

I agree that feedback is very important to authors. It let's us know that the work isn't total crap and encourages us by letting us know our talents/efforts are appreciated or at least enjoyed! Over time, even if authors do get feedback, for most authors, it usually dwindles.

The question is how to encourage people to give more feedback- either with reviews or emails? That's always the tough part. With so much reading to be done all over the internet, well not everyone remembers to go back and give review/feedback, or after they finish reading, they just go off and do something else. I used to do that, but now if I really enjoy a story on efiction, I leave something. Just a little note because since I write, I know how feedback feels. Positive ones, anyway.

Anyway, under efiction, that review box should be encouragement enough, unless authors want to put a personal note requesting feedback, but I know that can turn off some readers, so it's a catch 22.

I personally have a hard time writing reviews in e-fiction for many authors. This is for many reasons but mainly because most of what is in e-fiction here lately is crap that only nifty would publish.

Three times out of five I can not get "past the fold" -- the first part of the text before I have to scroll -- due to grammar/spelling/usage issues or really cliche openings. If I do get past the fold, the story HAS GOT to keep my interest. Half the time it does not. Of the one time that I can finish the first chapter and get to the review page, well, I try my damnedest not to sound mean, half the time I do. I delete the review. Sometimes I try again. Most the time I do not and I hate to leave a "good job" review when it really wasn't a "good job". Maybe I'm just too critical. Maybe other people aren't critical enough...

who knows.

The question is how to encourage people to give more feedback- either with reviews or emails? That's always the tough part. With so much reading to be done all over the internet, well not everyone remembers to go back and give review/feedback, or after they finish reading, they just go off and do something else. I used to do that, but now if I really enjoy a story on efiction, I leave something. Just a little note because since I write, I know how feedback feels. Positive ones, anyway.

Anyway, under efiction, that review box should be encouragement enough, unless authors want to put a personal note requesting feedback, but I know that can turn off some readers, so it's a catch 22.

Yeah, that review box under each and every chapter is pretty suggestive. *leer* Just kidding. Anyway, I don't know how to get people to write more reviews. What I do is review a lot of other peoples' story. Put your action where your words are; hope for reciprocation; etc. It's rather Confucian, and it doesn't really work. But authors, at least, can try to do pay it forward -- if someone's taken two minutes to write you a review, you might try to return the favor or do it to someone else.

I expect that people would review more if the number of reviews they've written shows up the way post count does. Human nature and all. :lol: Is that even possible, though, tying this sort of information into the profile?

Three times out of five I can not get "past the fold" -- the first part of the text before I have to scroll -- due to grammar/spelling/usage issues or really cliche openings. If I do get past the fold, the story HAS GOT to keep my interest. Half the time it does not. Of the one time that I can finish the first chapter and get to the review page, well, I try my damnedest not to sound mean, half the time I do. I delete the review. Sometimes I try again. Most the time I do not and I hate to leave a "good job" review when it really wasn't a "good job". Maybe I'm just too critical. Maybe other people aren't critical enough...

who knows.

True, a lot of stuff at eFiction isn't exactly the best of quality. But I've found a lot of great things on eFiction just by browsing -- stuff by Dan Kincaid, Duncan Ryder, Krista, Libby Drew, Hylas, and more; some really excellent poetry that I was very pleased to find; writing of a caliber definitely equaling that of hosted authors. If I didn't go hunting, I'd never have found this stuff. *shrug*

I think that the basic problem right now is that there are far too many stories that are being published in E-fic. The huge influx of stories has resulted in at least me from not being able to review. But those stories that I am able to read, I definitely write a review as well as post something in the Discussion thread.

Now, as far as good stories in E-fic are concerned, the problem can be solved by informing the reviewers/readers about the rating system. I, for one, always rate a story. E-fic provides for a rating scale of 1-10. It also provides for specified searches. So, I can definitely find quality stories in E-fic

I think, if it is possible, there should be a method to provide a link to the discussion thread in E-fic.

Right now, I cannot think of any way to motivate reviewers. But what I do know that this is one aspect that GA does need to work upon.

:)

BeaStKid :devil:

One way to boost feedback levels is to offer recognition for those that do it often. The problem, of course, if creating and monitoring such a system. I've participated in a fic fest where, at the end, rewards were given for "best reviewers." There were downsides. Some readers slapped a "Great Job!" on every single thing they read, just to be considered for the award. It wasn't a perfect system, but I think it did motivate a lot of people to review who normally wouldn't.

So one thing to consider might be levels of recognition for readers that review regularly. But I have no idea how to make that work best here.

I expect that people would review more if the number of reviews they've written shows up the way post count does. Human nature and all. Is that even possible, though, tying this sort of information into the profile?

IT DOES!!!!! Go to a person's profile in efiction. And it says how many reviews he has given and I think, it shows the reviews when you click on it. And also in the Tens, you have the top ten reviewers as well as the number of reviews they have given. I figure in it. ;)

I used to do the 'reciprocate' thing. It's in fact what CJ recommended during his advices to get more feedback. Look i the efic forum. Pinned topics. But now, I'm rather busy and all... But you can always form an inter-business between the interested ones here as in "I read yours, you read mine."

If there are budding authors here, I STRONGLY advise them to write for the anthologies. That's how I started here. The response is better and of course, there's a kinda atmosphere which I love. :) Since I started, I wrote for every quarterly anthology. :) And if you're good, you'll be instantly recognised. :) And if you want better reponse in your anotho's, you can read and leave feedback for other antho writers. It shows your enthusiasm.

And you need to 'publicise' you stories. Write about your story, latest chapters in your sig. And use some big (but not huge) fonts. You can also add your graphic banner. :)

Recognition is good. Perhaps, some admin might give some thoughts about it. As in, reviews free for your next three stories. :whistle: Or a virtual kiss from some hawties. :D Or a free ticket to te coronation of the King. :king:

:lol:

Take care,

Ieshwar

Might it not help somewhat to encourage reader involvement to give them an easier and quicker way to respond?

It might not be what writers want, but how about offering readers a quick and simple star rating system rather like video-sharing sites do?

For those readers that can't be bothered to write a review, this might just be enough to get them interacting.

A little bit of AJAX-powered javascript and, say, five categories of rating might work:

1. Satisfaction quota
  2. Couldn't stop reading
  3. Believable plotline
  4. Would like more of this
  5. Disturbed me

When the reader votes drop a cookie into their browser so the same person doesn't accidentally vote multiple times, and tie that to the back-end database with a time and IP-address rationing script so the system can't be abused by robotic scripts.

• Site Administrator

Getting more feedback is always a perennial issue with authors :)

There are a number of pinned threads at the top of this forum with suggestions on what you can do to encourage more readers, and more feedback comes with more readers. I have no idea on what percentage of readers leave feedback, but I suspect it is less than 10% on average -- probably a lot less.....

This is an interesting and very important thread!

I for one used to review nearly everything I read, and I used to read quite a bit of what was posted here. Eventually I sorta got overwhelmed and fell behind. Right now I'm only up-to-date on two stories (and one of them is Dom's In the Fish Bowl which has been on hiatus for quite awhile...so really only one).

I always intend to post feedback, and really I always do. I'm almost never read something and not post either a review in eFiction, or a comment in the story's discussion thread, or both. However, I for one simply don't have enough time to read everything, and I confess I've kind of gotten to a "well I can't do everything so I won't do anything" point.

Even with the other serial I'm up to date with - CJ's LTMP - I'm not always up to date with it. I often fall several chapters behind and catch up all at once, as a result I may only post one piece of feedback for 3 or 4 chapters (of course CJ's story isn't the main one we need to focus on increasing feedback for :P )

Anyway, point is I don't think there's anything that would entice me to post more feedback unless I just had a lot more time in which to do it.

I really think the best suggestion I could offer would be to start some sort of campaign to try to get our members to "pledge" to provide at least minimal feedback for everything they read. I suspect it would be hard to get people behind that idea though. On the other hand I bet we could round up quite a few people (like maybe the majority of people who have commented in this thread?) to take this voluntary "pledge" and if they then advertised that they had done so (maybe by putting 'pledged reviewer' in their signature or something) it might stimulate more interest in the program and more volunteers.

I really think the best suggestion I could offer would be to start some sort of campaign to try to get our members to "pledge" to provide at least minimal feedback for everything they read. I suspect it would be hard to get people behind that idea though. On the other hand I bet we could round up quite a few people (like maybe the majority of people who have commented in this thread?) to take this voluntary "pledge" and if they then advertised that they had done so (maybe by putting 'pledged reviewer' in their signature or something) it might stimulate more interest in the program and more volunteers.

I like the idea... Hmm...

I had already decided to write a review for every story I read, which I shall publish on my blog. I'm currently working back through about 15 stories I've read this year to refresh my memory so I can get up to date. Luckily I had commented on several of them to a friend in email so I've got something to work from.

It's not so much for the author's benefit but for my own so I can look back over time and see what I've read, what I preferred, and why I enjoyed or disliked a particular story.

What I might do is drop a post with a link to my blog reviews into the forums so the authors can find them easily if they want to.

I read so much I find it really hard to remember all the stories I've read. I just don't have the capacity in my brain to retain 'useless' information like that and I trained myself a long time ago to dump the clutter and leave space free for more important things. About 40% of my working time involves continuously learning new bleeding-edge techniques and technologies for my R&D (research & development) so my brain is stuffed with lots of obscure tech stuff as it.

What I might do is drop a post with a link to my blog reviews into the forums so the authors can find them easily if they want to.

I think that's a really great idea. I always like reviews or at least a head's up of what's the story about, what style is utilized, and opinions. That way I can read and see if I agree/disagree.

There are a number of pinned threads at the top of this forum with suggestions on what you can do to encourage more readers, and more feedback comes with more readers. I have no idea on what percentage of readers leave feedback, but I suspect it is less than 10% on average -- probably a lot less.....

The eFiction poll basically says that 60% leave feedback at least most of the time. That's pretty good. But maybe those who don't review didn't respond to the poll. Wouldn't be surprised.

I saw those threads too, but I intended this thread to be different -- not so much how writers can attract more readers and get more feedback, but what we -- individuals in a community of readers and writers -- should do to better encourage each other. Maybe, with that purpose in mind, this thread should be moved to the Lounge so non-writers will see it too.

I always intend to post feedback, and really I always do. I'm almost never read something and not post either a review in eFiction, or a comment in the story's discussion thread, or both. However, I for one simply don't have enough time to read everything, and I confess I've kind of gotten to a "well I can't do everything so I won't do anything" point.

Even with the other serial I'm up to date with - CJ's LTMP - I'm not always up to date with it. I often fall several chapters behind and catch up all at once, as a result I may only post one piece of feedback for 3 or 4 chapters (of course CJ's story isn't the main one we need to focus on increasing feedback for :P )

Stay away from that all or nothing mindset! "Something is better than nothing," that's the deal. :D I actually usually submit only two reviews to serialized stories -- one after having found it, and one after having waited for the story to get finished. Yeah, that's me -- WIP-phobic after crashing into the cliffhanger.

It's not so much for the author's benefit but for my own so I can look back over time and see what I've read, what I preferred, and why I enjoyed or disliked a particular story.

I read so much I find it really hard to remember all the stories I've read. I just don't have the capacity in my brain to retain 'useless' information like that and I trained myself a long time ago to dump the clutter and leave space free for more important things. About 40% of my working time involves continuously learning new bleeding-edge techniques and technologies for my R&D (research & development) so my brain is stuffed with lots of obscure tech stuff as it.

Wow, bleeding-edge techniques. That sounds pretty lethal. I'm supposed to be retaining fluid dynamics and differential equations, but suspect my brain doesn't cooperate. :mellow:

Another reason to write reviews is to get the notch-in-the-belt feeling, if you're the notch-in-the-belt sort of fellow. Especially with eFiction, you can always peek at the reviews you've written, and think, Yup, I've done these stories. Stamped it with a review, too! *cave man grunt* But yeah, reading log... that's fine too.

Yes -- a campaign. :great: Good idea, let's do that. Who wants to start? I would, only I want someone else to be doing it as well -- I don't want to be the only person in the forum with 'pledged reviewer' in my sig. 0:)

Wow, bleeding-edge techniques. That sounds pretty lethal.

It's very very frustrating because the fields I'm working in are so new there's no existing body of research or code to use as a basis, so I end up making every damn mistake it's possible to make in discovering the *right* way to do things :wacko:

When you're doing that day-in-day-out every month of every year it gets to be a PITA!

Another reason to write reviews is to get the notch-in-the-belt feeling, if you're the notch-in-the-belt sort of fellow. Especially with eFiction, you can always peek at the reviews you've written, and think, Yup, I've done these stories. Stamped it with a review, too! *cave man grunt* But yeah, reading log... that's fine too.

Nah, I can't be doing with that notch stuff, I've never been one to be interested in scores or counting. For me it's the taking part that is important.

My blog is just like a journal really, in that I can look back at stuff in the future, easily search it, and so on, but it's not highly personal like a journal, and it's stuff that is nice to share.

While I think about it, can someone explains precisely what "eFiction" is supposed to be? I tried to work it out over the weekend. I want to understand why it is treated separately from, say, the stories on Gay Authors and nifty.

While I think about it, can someone explains precisely what "eFiction" is supposed to be? I tried to work it out over the weekend. I want to understand why it is treated separately from, say, the stories on Gay Authors and nifty.

E-fiction not treated seperatly from the stories on Gay Authors. It is a part of Gay Authors' stories, but the authors there are not (yet) hosted. It is often thought of as a field left fallow: sometimes weeds grow and sometimes flowers. The flowers are cultivated, and often transplanted into hosting status. The weeds are left alone and hopefully they will wither and die off, leaving fertile soil behind.

E-fiction is the place people can post the poetry and / or prose they write. It is a sort of virtual library (and there are many stories you will find in e-fiction that you will not find on Nifty) unlike Nifty, which is an archive.

Nifty (IMHO) is geared toward gay porn with forrays into the field of homo-erotic and/or fetish fiction.

E-fiction is geared more toward quality writing (or at least that is the goal). There is some porn. There is some homo-erotic fiction. But there are many other types of writings there as well.

I'm sure others will say other things.. but that will at least start you off.

E-fiction is the place people can post the poetry and / or prose they write. It is a sort of virtual library (and there are many stories you will find in e-fiction that you will not find on Nifty) unlike Nifty, which is an archive.

Thank-you! It all makes sense now... I somehow got the idea it was about fan-fiction and such, not quite sure where I got that impression, but it was over the weekend going through the eFiction area... but then again I have rather been on autopilot recently with lack of sleep. It's 6.30am and I still haven't gone to bed, and I shall be going out running in about an hour, grrr!

Are comments on chapters also considered 'reviews'?

Some writers on AFF make special notes to the readers who leave comments. They put them at the beginning or end of each chapter, so it's sort of tacky, but as a reader it's nice to be acknowledged by name. On AFF, I now have two writers for whom I always leave a message for every chapter. Otherwise, I'm usually a lurker (bad steph!).

Do authors really want to hear, 'I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed your story'? It just feels empty to me, like I need to explain why I liked it.

Haha, I love this!

Yes -- a campaign. :great: Good idea, let's do that. Who wants to start? I would, only I want someone else to be doing it as well -- I don't want to be the only person in the forum with 'pledged reviewer' in my sig. 0:)

I shall go and bring it up to the Writer Support Team right now and see what their feedback is. Even if they don't want to get involved as a team I would be surprised if they had any objections to a sort of "grass roots" movement. (and I'd certainly be in ;) )

When you're doing that day-in-day-out every month of every year it gets to be a PITA!

Ohh I love their bread! *dumb blond emote*

E-fiction not treated seperatly from the stories on Gay Authors. It is a part of Gay Authors' stories, but the authors there are not (yet) hosted. It is often thought of as a field left fallow: sometimes weeds grow and sometimes flowers. The flowers are cultivated, and often transplanted into hosting status. The weeds are left alone and hopefully they will wither and die off, leaving fertile soil behind.

Nifty (IMHO) is geared toward gay porn with forrays into the field of homo-erotic and/or fetish fiction.

E-fiction is geared more toward quality writing (or at least that is the goal). There is some porn. There is some homo-erotic fiction. But there are many other types of writings there as well.

I'm sure others will say other things.. but that will at least start you off.

Well, really that's a pretty accurate description although for the record we don't leave the "weeds" out there to die. We hope that they too can be cultivated into flowers! Plus the WST as a team is supposed to help prevent the death of potential flowers lol.

Thank-you! It all makes sense now... I somehow got the idea it was about fan-fiction and such, not quite sure where I got that impression, but it was over the weekend going through the eFiction area... but then again I have rather been on autopilot recently with lack of sleep. It's 6.30am and I still haven't gone to bed, and I shall be going out running in about an hour, grrr!

Keep treating yourself life that and you shall be "going out" horizontally before it's your time ;)

Do authors really want to hear, 'I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed your story'? It just feels empty to me, like I need to explain why I liked it.

I (briefly) wrote, and as an author I can say that, yes, I did appreciate a simple "I'm reading your story and enjoying it" or even a "I'm reading your story". Of course it's much better and more useful to get actual, concrete thoughts and feedback, but as Corvus said something is better than nothing, and sometimes it's nice just to know you're not putting your work out there in a sort of "black hole", but that someone is actually looking at it.

Take care all and have an awesome day!

Kevin

Kevin said what I wanted to say... Of Course, I wouldlove to hear anything about my story, good or bad. That way, I'll know people actually read it. :)

Think about how in the rest of life just one little comment can give give you a real 'high' or make you feel totally worthless. Responses from readers do that too - just one word can make all the difference! I had a comment the other day that had me smiling for hours.

Well, really that's a pretty accurate description although for the record we don't leave the "weeds" out there to die. We hope that they too can be cultivated into flowers!

Being the farmboy here, I have to point out in the interests of accuracy that the definition of a "weed" is simply a plant that is out of place... a poppy flower in your garden is a weed in a field of barley.

Keep treating yourself life that and you shall be "going out" horizontally before it's your time ;)

LOL I wish... I'd love to go out horizontally, but unless there's a club for limbo-dancing skateboarders I suspect I'll continue to be vertically challenged :)

I've always had this thing where I end up working through the night. My brain is hyper most of the time so unless it is tired I have little chance of sleeping. So instead of tossing and turning I've learnt to go with the flow and snatch the zzz's when the Duracell bunny runs out of puff :) Of course, when there's someone around to tire me out, things are different :P

I still think my idea about a simple star rating system would address this. Anyone want me to implement it as an AJAX module and PHP back-end class that can be attached by the PHP scripts to each chapter?

Kevin said what I wanted to say... Of Course, I wouldlove to hear anything about my story, good or bad. That way, I'll know people actually read it. :)

I agree- anything is better than nothing. It's a little something that will uplift your mood and sometimes encourage you to keep writing. Sure, I prefer somewhat of an explanation or why they liked it, but it's not a big deal. Some people don't like to go on and on and that's that. I tend to go on and on and sometimes I feel bad, rambling forever. But since I write, I knowwwhat it feels like to get a lengthy and thoughtful review.

I agree- anything is better than nothing. It's a little something that will uplift your mood and sometimes encourage you to keep writing. Sure, I prefer somewhat of an explanation or why they liked it, but it's not a big deal. Some people don't like to go on and on and that's that. I tend to go on and on and sometimes I feel bad, rambling forever. But since I write, I know wwhat it feels like to get a lengthy and thoughtful review.

B) ......I know I posted this somewhere before, but here goes, I believe any story that I read good/bad deserves my comments back to the author. Somehow I think it rather "rude" not to do so, the author has put in a lot of time writting for my enjoyment and deserves recognition from the readers. Having said that, there are some stories I won't bother to read, no offense, but I don't like, say "fan-fic" and then there are some stories with themes I'd rather not read. All in all, every reader should respond to a story, with either a critique or a short "Thanks, I enjoyed your story".

B) ......I know I posted this somewhere before, but here goes, I believe any story that I read good/bad deserves my comments back to the author. Somehow I think it rather "rude" not to do so, the author has put in a lot of time writting for my enjoyment and deserves recognition from the readers. Having said that, there are some stories I won't bother to read, no offense, but I don't like, say "fan-fic" and then there are some stories with themes I'd rather not read. All in all, every reader should respond to a story, with either a critique or a short "Thanks, I enjoyed your story".

I admit, I don't write to enough authors, even the ones that I think are good. Sometimes I want to do it, but never get around to it and before I know it, I've forgotten. :(

But if a story I read was bad, with not much plot or written badly (grammar/hard to read style), or even if the story just pissed me off, I don't email them with something negative. It would be considered a review, and perhaps could help them improve, but I'm just not good at giving criticism. I just feel mean and I'm never sure how they'll interpret it, like I'm giving them an opinion or I'm some kind of expert. Plus, if they enjoy writing, whether it's more or less porn, then who am I to take that joy away or give criticism? Btw, most of this is in reference to Nifty work. Here on GA, the quality is better and usually, I just don't get around to writing a review. :wacko:

Like Benji, there are some things I won't read, because I already know I have no interest in in, such as "fan-fic" or authoritarian themes/lots of violence, etc.

I shall go and bring it up to the Writer Support Team right now and see what their feedback is. Even if they don't want to get involved as a team I would be surprised if they had any objections to a sort of "grass roots" movement. (and I'd certainly be in ;) )

I (briefly) wrote, and as an author I can say that, yes, I did appreciate a simple "I'm reading your story and enjoying it" or even a "I'm reading your story". Of course it's much better and more useful to get actual, concrete thoughts and feedback, but as Corvus said something is better than nothing, and sometimes it's nice just to know you're not putting your work out there in a sort of "black hole", but that someone is actually looking at it.

Ah, so we have a Writer Support Team! (100 posts already, and I haven't noticed.) What is it, exactly? And do tell me when I can start to sexify my sig with a reviewer pledge :funny:

Yes, even simple one liners can do wonders. Think about it -- writers can see how many people have "read" their story. If that number is low, they can at least think, Okay, my story hasn't gotten any reviews because it's not noticed, not because it sucks. But, if they have a high "read" number and no reviews, they're bound to think, Crap, people are taking one glance and dismissing it! So those simple one-liners can be crucial.

But if a story I read was bad, with not much plot or written badly (grammar/hard to read style), or even if the story just pissed me off, I don't email them with something negative. It would be considered a review, and perhaps could help them improve, but I'm just not good at giving criticism. I just feel mean and I'm never sure how they'll interpret it, like I'm giving them an opinion or I'm some kind of expert.

If a story is awful, then I stop halfway instead of forcing myself through. I'm therefore also relieved of the obligation to review, because it's not right to review something you've only half read. :D