Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Would You Follow A Straight Narrator?

Would you follow a straight protagonist?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you follow a straight narrator?

• No, I would completely skip any story that had a straight narrator.
    • Yes, I would follow a straight protagonist as long as there were no sex scenes because straight sex is icky.
    • Yes, I would follow a straight, sexually active narrator. I'll just skim through the sex scenes.
    • Yes, I would follow a straight narrator, and might even enjoy reading about his female conquests.
    • This is GA. I don't agree with any of these answers, and I'll explain my view in the thread.

So I thought someone brought up something interesting...they were suggesting that Darius become the next narrator for the story. Being that CAP is thought of as gay erotica, the thought of having Darius, who has no desire to experiment with gay sex, seems like an interesting proposition.

Do you think it would be cool to follow a straight narrator, or would it turn you away from reading the story?

Yes, I would follow a straight, sexually active narrator. I'll just skim through the sex scenes. That one sums it up for me. In all honesty, I think the next one should go back to Matt. I find him much more interesting.

Edited by Tiger

There's absolutely nothing wrong with straight sex. :2thumbs: Mind you, it's second on my list.

Here's an experiment Mark could try in Millenium, you know, to test the waters of straight sex in his stories....Brad inadvertently stumbles on Jack plowing Claire. :devil:

That would be so hot. :music:

So I thought someone brought up something interesting...they were suggesting that Darius become the next narrator for the story. Being that CAP is thought of as gay erotica, the thought of having Darius, who has no desire to experiment with gay sex, seems like an interesting proposition.

Do you think it would be cool to follow a straight narrator, or would it turn you away from reading the story?

This is one of Jeremy's fantasies. He's trying to find the straight boy buried inside.Posted Image

Yes, I would follow a straight, sexually active narrator. I'll just skim through the sex scenes. That one sums it up for me. In all honesty, I think the next one should go back to Matt. I find him much more interesting.

Back to Matt? Are you kidding me? Posted Image

I'm kind of thinking along those lines myself.Posted Image

There's absolutely nothing wrong with straight sex. :2thumbs: Mind you, it's second on my list.

Here's an experiment Mark could try in Millenium, you know, to test the waters of straight sex in his stories....Brad inadvertently stumbles on Jack plowing Claire. :devil:

That would be so hot. :music:

So you not only want straight sex, you want straight incestuous sex?

No wonder you read my stories.Posted Image

So you not only want straight sex, you want straight incestuous sex?

No wonder you read my stories.Posted Image

Last time I looked, Jack and Claire were married. :blink:

I wasn't suggesting that Brad participate. That would not work on so many levels. :thumbdown:

Last time I looked, Jack and Claire were married. :blink:

I wasn't suggesting that Brad participate. That would not work on so many levels. :thumbdown:

Oh, I get it. Now all of a sudden it's me that has the dirty mind? Posted Image

I guess that's true.Posted Image

Posted Image

I chose option 3. Darius has developed into an interesting character. He's obviously learned how to take advantage of the playing field so it would be fun to read about it. His racial background adds a new perspective to the CAP series, even though a Darius narrated story would be pre-9/11. Despite his status as a Schulter, he's probably had to deal with questions about his ethnic idenity, questions his family is likely ill-equipped to answer. He would also have to deal with stereotypes and some racism as well, so that's more drama for this story.

Jack and brad works for me....if clair was suddenly killed. Like now that would be a drama....last major character killed was tonto....who was loved anyway. then before that...probably billy........not gona lie i'm surprised none of these guys in this story has gotten majorly hurt. Like wade matt max brandon stef JP brad robbie clair jack ace cass darius Will JJ Cody Nick, Jim Crampton, lark, dan, doug Childers(where is he neway? i'm like chpter 30 in be-rad again so i dont remember how that ended).

Like thats alot of people to not have someone suddenly be ripped away. knowing whats ahead i forshadow carson dies mysterously. Or dan and lark. So who knows!

I think Darius as a narator would be cool, but how can he honeslty say he'd NEVER try anything with a guy? like we might be past his stage of trying, but who knows maybe he introduces a new college friend to the family who's gay and he finds out about darius family and then really puts pressure on him being gay friendly and "finding out for sure." :P

So in that instance i'd like him has a narator. but only if it's something like "summer love" where it just covers a summer or something. Personaly i'd love to be in JP's Brads or Matts perspective or Stef even for 9/11 :)

I am totally biased in this debate. Sex is sex and I really don't care whether it m/m, m/f or f/f So hell yeah I'd read. Especially if it was Mark writing.

Thanks Neph! I threw in some heterosex later in Millennium.

I have no problem with Mark :worship: , having a str8 narrator, and the str8 sex is neither here nor there for me (been there done that prefer the alternative), I still would like it to be about the relationships betwen the gay characters.

Now no matter how great Mark :worship: is, I am not sure a str8 narrator could be belivable or interesting about the gay characters. that is to say the narrators interest in the others would be as relations etc and not in a "gay" sense...... I have a feeling I am not being clear or getting my point across here. Also, all I maybe demonstrating is why I am not an author and Mark :worship: , is! :wacko: so I think I'll just leave this discussion tomothers and ahould a str8 narrator turn up be prepared to be impressed, as ever!

• 3 months later...

Most book that I have read were by straight narrators, (or writers). Their sexuality is rarely relevant, assuming they are not projecting their opinions into the story. If they are, then that will definitely affect the story and my reaction to it.

• 9 months later...

I really thought I'd bump this thread up again. While Gathan isn't straight, he isn't gay either. And he's the first protagonist in CAP I can think of who has a legitimate female love interest; where it's not a given he will end up with a man.

This seems to have bothered readers of the story, who regard CAP as the story of gay men. (Not even really bi men, just gay men.) Gathan so far is the closest we've had to an actually straight narrator. Has that turned you off as a reader?

I've actually enjoyed that, and don't mind the scenes of heterosexual sex. But I'm curious to see who's been bothered by it, and who wants Gathan to get back to screwing guys as soon as he starts Stanford.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..