24 Reasons It's Great To Be 24

After all the bitching I did about turning 24 last year, I actually thought this little video made me smile. I'm only 24 until December, but eh- I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Side note: This guy is only ten days younger than Will from the CAP saga. (I'm obsessed with Mark's story. What of it? :D

24 Reasons It's Great To Be 24

The strange thing about having a December birthday is that, while technically being born in 1985, I'm the same age as people born in 1986 for the majority of the year. So I relate more to '86ers than I do to '85ers.

There are some things I miss about being 21, but...I'm finding that being older really is better. And it helps that I still look 21, so I can hang with the young crowd. And it's nice that when I do hang out with the young 18, 19-year olds, I don't feel that same sense of pressure to fit in with them that I did when I actually was 18- it's more like I'm the older guy who's still "hip" to the youngsters.

So for the older posters here, is there anything you loved about being 24? (Or 25, since that's where my next birthday is. LOL.) I do remember a poster in his late 40's telling me his favorite thing about being 24 was that he could get away with dating 18-year olds while being about to date 32-year olds- basically what this guy said as well. That's an interesting theory to test out.

Edited by methodwriter85

24 seems so long ago! also then I was married, had a child and a mortgage. At my great age now, I still have the child, though there are now two and the youngest turns 24 in November! I also still have a mortage (different house, different continent), the wife went a good while ago,

so while 24 is great, it does actually better, albeit in a different way, as time moves on.....

congrats on 24, look forward to the next 24, and the 24 after that!

Edited by Canuk

I turn 23 in a month and frankly it freaks me out a bit because I still remember starting uni, being a teenager and having no real responsibilities.

That said, I heartily agree with the vid, a great age to be... if only we could freeze it :P

• Site Administrator

Oh lords... I was pregnant for most of my 24th year, no way I'd want to freeze that way :P I'm 29 now and have many of the same reponsibilities that Canuk mentioned, though my kids are younger ;) I can't ever remember really being the 'irresponsible youth' type. That's alright though, I still have fun, and 11 more months before I turn the big 3-0 while most of my friends are already there :P

There are some things I miss about being 21, but...I'm finding that being older really is better. And it helps that I still look 21, so I can hang with the young crowd. And it's nice that when I do hang out with the young 18, 19-year olds, I don't feel that same sense of pressure to fit in with them that I did when I actually was 18- it's more like I'm the older guy who's still "hip" to the youngsters.

It goes even further... dating them. Like my case for the last three of four guys this year. Don't judge me... they found me first (well, except one since I knew him for a few years now).

At 24 I had a house, a husband and a 2 year old daughter. I had just started university to do my law degree and making some friends that I still have now. It was one of the best times of my life when I could get away with going to dinner parties and also the Goth night at the student union when I scared old ladies on the train.... oh wait I STILL do that :)

For me the very best thing about age 24, at least from this side.... is that 24 is still (just) on the dating scope for 45 year olds ;)

When I was 24, my life was about to start a completely new direction, a big change... I spent half of it in Paris, France, the city I fell in love with. After being at the university for five years I tried for the first time to be on my own solely. Parents (already divorced luckily...) were too far and I was in a totally new world taking care of myself on my own (frequent visits at home weren't possible). I still was in a deep denial :( though I've already been a lot in the exploring the gay stuff :D I started reading the CAP stories :D a saga that lead me to GA in 2009...

Though among all the kids from 19-21 that were in Paris with me I felt a bit old... so as for the age "being too old" and "too young" I felt mainly the "too old" part... :-/ The age shows quickly... and for me the big changing point was 26 actually... the age when for most people here you're too old to be a student... Now I'm at work on full-time and I'm the youngest around here and I feel young again :D

25 is good as well though lower insurance rates ;)

Yup, and no more under-age fees if you're renting a car. (If the companies let those under 25 rent.)

I think there's more financial aid now too from universities. At least that's what I heard. Dunno. *shrug* ph34r.gif

This is kind of off topic.. and.. inappropriate for someone soon to be married.. lol.. but that guy is kind of cute... he did name two males that were 24 though so that's a bit odd.. hmm.

Anyway, I will be married when I'm 24. Already have my college degree... been working, boo. I don't know, 24 does seem to be a bit too old to date someone 18 years old.. I've been through too many growing pains after turning 18 - I may not have enough in common to date someone that young.. But heh, not judging though. To me, 24 is a bit less scary than turning 25.. lol. I don't like thinking that I'm half way to 30. ;)

I'm only 24 until December, but eh- I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Woo, me too! I definitely get that not-too-young, not-too-old feeling! All my close friends are older than me so it helps to keep me from feeling that "Oh my God I've been out of Uni for how long and still haven't done blah blah blah..."

lol.. 25 is between 20 and 30.. but yes.. now you've made me realize it's half-way to my mid-life crisis at 50.. :P

Forget that, 24 was my pivotal quarter-life crisis time. Well, it started when I was 23 and branched into 24 but you get the idea. I'm still kinda in a quarter-life crisis but have kinda accepted the feeling...

• 3 weeks later...