Good News Thread

1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

I'm always happy to see confirmation of LGBTQ+ equal rights. :) 

Same-sex spouses have EU residence rights, top court rules

(I asked before posting this link, and Graeme says to remind you that any discussion of politics related to this story has to take place in the Pit.)

I saw this too today and thought of posting it. You beat me to it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Site Administrator

TV and FaceBook combined to help save a woman's life

Okay, that's a little melodramatic, but it's the thought that counts. ;) A doctor spotted what he thought was a cancerous growth during a TV show and used FaceBook to track the person down and recommend she gets some tests done to confirm his potential diagnosis.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Graeme said:

TV and FaceBook combined to help save a woman's life

Okay, that's a little melodramatic, but it's the thought that counts. ;) A doctor spotted what he thought was a cancerous growth during a TV show and used FaceBook to track the person down and recommend she gets some tests done to confirm his potential diagnosis.

We had a similar case in Denmark last year where a doctor saw an interview with a man and recognized symptoms of a benign brain tumor causing acromegaly. He also contacted him on Facebook to ask questions and propose a possible diagnosis. Three other doctors also contacted him with the same idea.

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
42 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

I have been following this story from the start. To be honest I had about given up for a happy ending. Thankfully many others never did. Having found them alive and well, is the best news possible. Now the challenge will be to get them out of there. The world will now be watching.

I saw the headline of the rescue - already having read about them missing - but it was cut off by an ad. I was afraid to look, because I "knew" what it was going to say. Boy, was I ever thrilled to have been wrong! Amazing and wonderful news it is. :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, sandrewn said:

I have been following this story from the start. To be honest I had about given up for a happy ending. Thankfully many others never did. Having found them alive and well, is the best news possible. Now the challenge will be to get them out of there. The world will now be watching.

Thailand cave rescue: divers work to rescue missing football team – live

Thai navy Seals have found the group in the six-mile Tham Luang Nang Non cave ‘all with signs of life’ but the rescue team now face a number of challenges

Thailand cave rescue: divers work to rescue missing football team – live | World news | The Guardian

I must admit to crying last night when I read this news. I can't even imagine how their families and friends must feel. 

• Like 3

I posted this on my page, but for the millions who never go there I had to post it here also:

Thai cave rescue mission: third operation under way to free last four boys and coach – live

(It started over 2 hours ago)

(1) Thai cave rescue mission resumes with eight boys and coach still trapped – live | World news | The Guardian

I don't want jinx anything, but, YAY!! Now it is the waiting game. I've crossed everything I am physically able to, have positive waves and vibes going out on auto send. With all our hopes streaming out to them and a little prayer to boot, good news is all but assured.

One way or another the end is drawing near.

With faith

sandrewn

• Like 1
  • Love 4