Good News Thread

• Site Moderator
4 hours ago, sandrewn said:

I posted this on my page, but for the millions who never go there I had to post it here also:

Thai cave rescue mission: third operation under way to free last four boys and coach – live

(It started over 2 hours ago)

(1) Thai cave rescue mission resumes with eight boys and coach still trapped – live | World news | The Guardian

I don't want jinx anything, but, YAY!! Now it is the waiting game. I've crossed everything I am physically able to, have positive waves and vibes going out on auto send. With all our hopes streaming out to them and a little prayer to boot, good news is all but assured.

One way or another the end is drawing near.

With faith

sandrewn

The entire team and coach are now out. Many prayers have been answered with this remarkable rescue.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

The entire team and coach are now out. Many prayers have been answered with this remarkable rescue. 

Their odyssey is over. The team and coach are out. Now only the support staff to safely get back up and the rejoicing can begin. Remembering the sad loss of former Thai navy seal Saman Kunan, who gave his all to make this a happy ending, he will not be forgotten and his memory honored.

Almost over now,

sandrewn

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I can only find this in Danish, perhaps because a Danish doctor and institute headed the study:

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/viden/studie-af-74567-samlejer-slaar-fast-hiv-positive-i-behandling-kan-ikke-smitte

Basically the story says that after checking gay couples in Europe who had unprotected sex (almost 75,000 anal intercourses) and where one partner was HIV positive but medically regulated so as to have no active virus in their blood, they did not find a single instance where the HIV negative partner was infected.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

I can only find this in Danish, perhaps because a Danish doctor and institute headed the study:

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/viden/studie-af-74567-samlejer-slaar-fast-hiv-positive-i-behandling-kan-ikke-smitte

Basically the story says that after checking gay couples in Europe who had unprotected sex (almost 75,000 anal intercourses) and where one partner was HIV positive but medically regulated so as to have no active virus in their blood, they did not find a single instance where the HIV negative partner was infected.

The Google Chrome browser can translate this page - that option popped up when I clicked on the article - but it doesn’t save the translation, so you can only view it in real time. 

• Like 4

Fascinating, but in the interest of continued safety my policy would be for the non-infected partner to stay on PrEP e.g. Truvada and the previously diagnosed partner to stay on their current regimen.   We've lost too many to this dread disease to ever get complacent until a reliable vaccine is perfected.  

• Like 3
On 7/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, Timothy M. said:

That's good, but I'm still one to be cautious about being rawdogged. I mean, I may be on Truvada, but it's still not the best idea to just have at it with strangers without condoms. I don't judge those who do. It's just not my thing, at least not with known HIV+ partners or even multiple partners who are HIV-. Bacterial STDs are becoming more dangerous to have, and a shot of penicillin no longer cures them. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That's good, but I'm still one to be cautious about being rawdogged. I mean, I may be on Truvada, but it's still not the best idea to just have at it with strangers without condoms. I don't judge those who do. It's just not my thing, at least not with known HIV+ partners or even multiple partners who are HIV-. Bacterial STDs are becoming more dangerous to have, and a shot of penicillin no longer cures them. 

You're right, and one person does say you should always use protection if you don't know the HIV status of yourself or your partner. But for those who are in a committed relationship (with one being HIV+) and would like to avoid condoms for both oral and anal sex, I think it's wonderful news. It applies to both het and gay sex btw.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Dog schools kids

A therapy dog helps out at a New South Wales country school during the current severe drought.

In case you're wondering how one dog can make much impact, you need to know that the school in question, which caters for classes from Kindergarten to Year 12 (high school seniors, in American terms) has, according to their 2017 annual report, a total of just under 130 students. With 13 year levels from K-12, that's an average of 10 students per year level. Ajax, the therapy dog still has a lot of hard work to do, but the numbers are small enough for him to be able to help the kids out by keeping up their spirits during one of the worst droughts Australia has experienced.

• Like 2

As reported today in The New Yorker online, there is good news for gays in India. Finally, their Supreme Court struck down Section 377 of India's Penal Code which was originally written by British Victorians who occupied their country. An example of their view on sex, the Section 377 begins: "Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature . . .". This is one more step in India's progress to decolonialize itself from the Brits.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/indias-historic-gay-rights-ruling-and-the-slow-march-of-progress

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

As a tongue-tied baby, I can feel for this little boy. I can only thank my pediatrician for recognizing why my tongue could not move from the floor of my mouth. Just a little snip and I went on to be a normal child. That was over 69 years ago and it's surprising doctors are still ignorant of this affliction.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

As a tongue-tied baby, I can feel for this little boy. I can only thank my pediatrician for recognizing why my tongue could not move from the floor of my mouth. Just a little snip and I went on to be a normal child. That was over 69 years ago and it's surprising doctors are still ignorant of this affliction.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • 1 month later...

https://navva.org/norway/nation/swedish-president-changed-from-gender/

This was heartwarming to me. Swedish top exec (And I mean top) transitions and doesn't experience backlash. Sure, it must be easier from a position of power, but such a position also comes with a rough environment many times. Now, it wasn't such a big deal.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Puppilull said:

https://navva.org/norway/nation/swedish-president-changed-from-gender/

This was heartwarming to me. Swedish top exec (And I mean top) transitions and doesn't experience backlash. Sure, it must be easier from a position of power, but such a position also comes with a rough environment many times. Now, it wasn't such a big deal.  

Oh hey, the source article's from my neck of the woods! We're getting pretty far with transgender rights over here (and FRI is mentioned! I'm a member!), though as Ingvild says, we still haven't had a case that high profile in Norway yet. Hopefully getting there, though. There's been a lot of focus on trans rights in the media here lately. 

That website really needs to have actual real people translate the articles to English, though, because that machine translation was terrible. :P

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

That website really needs to have actual real people translate the articles to English, though, because that machine translation was terrible. :P

I know. I opted for a somewhat English article over posting one in Swedish. If people are interested, hopefully they can Google and perhaps find a better version somewhere. 

• Like 1
On 9/28/2018 at 6:41 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

Wow, it was really fortunate his parents put him in speech therapy so young. He developed the neuropathways necessary for speech when needed, so when he could, he was able to actually speak. The early stage of brain development is critical for learning how to talk, and people who do not get this stimulation at the right time can never learn to speak. That was discovered when nearly 200 years ago when a French doctor tried to teach the first modern "raised by wolves" boy to speak. It did not work, and has never worked with similar children/adults.

So! Hurry! The parents did the right thing here, even though the stupid doctors never even bothered to look at the kid's tongue. Silly

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1