Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

On 2/2/2022 at 7:33 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

I wonder if McDonald's in Mexico sell Jarritos?

I checked their menu online and no they don't. Not surprising, as Jarritos has a business connection with Pepsi rather than Coca-Cola, and McD's drinks come from C-C Company.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

With a story set in Mexico and an upcoming one in Spain, I've been revisiting my heritage while researching the stories' soundtrack. Came across this one and it's on repeat right now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I'll be posting chapter 2 of Chemist, Thiago's Story later this month. Thought you might like a sneak peek at the opening scene.

Hide contents

“Daddy, I went pee-pee.” Fabricio, strapped into his car seat, sounded pitiful. The accidents were becoming rarer but still occurred from time to time.

I was certain the car’s rocking had precipitated the latest incident. “It’s okay, kiddo. I’ll get off the highway at the next exit, and we’ll get you changed.”

Along with my son and my fresh-from-the-printers Doctor of Pharmacology diploma from Howard University, I had left Washington, D.C. before sunrise, headed to Atlanta, Georgia. Because of the two-year-old in the backseat and the frequent stops necessary to care for him, I planned to break the ten-hour trip by stopping overnight in Charlotte.

“You know what else we can do? We can take a break and get a snack when we stop. What are you hungry for?”

“McDonald’s!”

I cracked up. It would be our fourth time at the fast-food restaurant so far, and I suspected it might not be the last one. Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, and now something to help the afternoon move along. It wasn’t the way we normally ate, but in an effort to keep Fab’s spirits up during the long drive, I humored him. Maybe he had figured out what I was doing, but he would probably be shocked when we returned to healthier eating once we settled in. Conveniently, the place had changing tables in their restroom, and those came in handy.

In the meantime, an order of fries would keep Fabricio entertained for a while. For me, the umpteenth cup of coffee would help me remain alert for the day’s final segment. Not that I had eaten much during our previous stops. After my porcine behavior the day before, the thought of food made me slightly nauseous. But who in their right mind would have passed up the opportunity to gorge on the DCity Smokehouse spread CJ and Owen had provided the previous day? The black-owned business was well-known for its meats.

During the stop, I confirmed our room in a roadside hotel off I-85, south of Charlotte on the chain’s app. We would hopefully avoid the rush hour vehicle inflow to the city. Instead of McDonald’s, after checking in and showering, we ate at the Denny’s attached to the hotel. Once Fabricio had fallen asleep, I sat on the postage-stamp-sized balcony and lit up a joint. The previous day, Harley had given me a half-dozen as a going-away present.

Harley Wilkinson and CJ Abelló had been my homies since high school. CJ and his husband, Owen Liston, had held a Memorial Day barbecue as cover for the farewell party I had insisted I did not want. Not the first time—or the last, I was certain—my wishes were ignored. What were good friends for anyway?

Looking forward to chapter 2.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I'll be posting chapter 2 of Chemist, Thiago's Story later this month. Thought you might like a sneak peek at the opening scene.

Reveal hidden contents

“Daddy, I went pee-pee.” Fabricio, strapped into his car seat, sounded pitiful. The accidents were becoming rarer but still occurred from time to time.

I was certain the car’s rocking had precipitated the latest incident. “It’s okay, kiddo. I’ll get off the highway at the next exit, and we’ll get you changed.”

Along with my son and my fresh-from-the-printers Doctor of Pharmacology diploma from Howard University, I had left Washington, D.C. before sunrise, headed to Atlanta, Georgia. Because of the two-year-old in the backseat and the frequent stops necessary to care for him, I planned to break the ten-hour trip by stopping overnight in Charlotte.

“You know what else we can do? We can take a break and get a snack when we stop. What are you hungry for?”

“McDonald’s!”

I cracked up. It would be our fourth time at the fast-food restaurant so far, and I suspected it might not be the last one. Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, and now something to help the afternoon move along. It wasn’t the way we normally ate, but in an effort to keep Fab’s spirits up during the long drive, I humored him. Maybe he had figured out what I was doing, but he would probably be shocked when we returned to healthier eating once we settled in. Conveniently, the place had changing tables in their restroom, and those came in handy.

In the meantime, an order of fries would keep Fabricio entertained for a while. For me, the umpteenth cup of coffee would help me remain alert for the day’s final segment. Not that I had eaten much during our previous stops. After my porcine behavior the day before, the thought of food made me slightly nauseous. But who in their right mind would have passed up the opportunity to gorge on the DCity Smokehouse spread CJ and Owen had provided the previous day? The black-owned business was well-known for its meats.

During the stop, I confirmed our room in a roadside hotel off I-85, south of Charlotte on the chain’s app. We would hopefully avoid the rush hour vehicle inflow to the city. Instead of McDonald’s, after checking in and showering, we ate at the Denny’s attached to the hotel. Once Fabricio had fallen asleep, I sat on the postage-stamp-sized balcony and lit up a joint. The previous day, Harley had given me a half-dozen as a going-away present.

Harley Wilkinson and CJ Abelló had been my homies since high school. CJ and his husband, Owen Liston, had held a Memorial Day barbecue as cover for the farewell party I had insisted I did not want. Not the first time—or the last, I was certain—my wishes were ignored. What were good friends for anyway?

It's about time, almost two years since chapter 1. I hope you won't keep us waiting that long for chapter 3. 😳

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1
20 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Reveal hidden contents

“McDonald’s!”

When you published chapter 1, you said you'd be changing the title. I think it's still the same, yes?

• Like 2
On 6/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, chris191070 said:

Looking forward to chapter 2.

Not a lot of drama in this one. It's all about Thiago moving to and settling in Atlanta.

@Wesley8890

Since Thiago's in your neck of the woods, you think he should drive down to Macon at some point? He could have lunch with the football player's parents. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, frosenblum said:

It's about time, almost two years since chapter 1. I hope you won't keep us waiting that long for chapter 3. 😳

I'm sending you back to school for a math refresher. Aug 2020 - Jun 2022 isn't quite 2 years. LOL

Expect chapter 3 in June 2023.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
21 hours ago, frosenblum said:

When you published chapter 1, you said you'd be changing the title. I think it's still the same, yes?

You expect me to remember that? At my age? LOL

I'm pretty sure the story was called Thiago when I first posted it. Even if I used Chemist, I'm liking the title these days.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Not a lot of drama in this one. It's all about Thiago moving to and settling in Atlanta.

@Wesley8890

Since Thiago's in your neck of the woods, you think he should drive down to Macon at some point? He could have lunch with the football player's parents. :)

Totally. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Totally. 

You'll notice him trying to figure out Atlanta in this month's chapter, but I'll have him explore Georgia a bit more. Too bad he's not the political animal CJ is. I could have fun with a black man in Georgia and the election controversies.

• Love 3

Most of your stories are written third person pov. Chemist is first person. It's quite striking that Thiago doesn't write at all like you do. He's more serious and professional. Bravo, Carlos, for accomplishing a fully distinct writing voice from your usual.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, frosenblum said:

Most of your stories are written third person pov. Chemist is first person. It's quite striking that Thiago doesn't write at all like you do. He's more serious and professional. Bravo, Carlos, for accomplishing a fully distinct writing voice from your usual.

Thank you!

Thiago's always been a more serious individual even though he can be part of the banter when together with his homies. I figured someone who graduated from HS at the same time he got his AA degree, completed his doctorate in the shortest possible time, and stepped in to become a single father when Fabricio's mother did not want the kid has to be driven.

I wrote chapter 1 in first person because I felt it was a better vehicle for the events I described, so the rest of his story will follow the same format. I'm playing a bit with scheduling though. I'm thinking a chapter a year, set in June, covering the previous year's events. Some through flashbacks or narration. The upcoming chapter takes place in June 2021 and the subsequent one in June 2022. I'll have another chance to mention the Mexican incident. LOL

• Love 2
16 hours ago, frosenblum said:

I've been waiting and checking for the Friday CJ chapter. It's noon and I finally realized there ain't gonna be one this week. I wonder how long withdrawal will take this time.

CJ and Owen have a cameo in Thiago's upcoming chapter. Hope that tides you over for a bit. :P

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Tide us over, really Carlos??? Your adoring fans, like me your number one fan in Spain, are pretty demanding… but very grateful and appreciative of your storytelling genius. 
OK. Enough flattery, get writing. It’s summer. No excuse!!!

un abrazote 

Gary

• Like 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Gary L said:

Tide us over, really Carlos??? Your adoring fans, like me your number one fan in Spain, are pretty demanding… but very grateful and appreciative of your storytelling genius. 
OK. Enough flattery, get writing. It’s summer. No excuse!!!

un abrazote 

Gary

It's summer, time to hit the beach and ride my bike... Oh, no wait, that's what people do in milder climates. Around here, we hide in air conditioned rooms this time of year. I stopped under the bank's awning to use the ATM yesterday, and started sweating immediately. IN THE SHADE!!!

Anyway, I have been writing. Chemist chapter 2 was my initial summer offering. Coming in a couple of weeks, I return to CJ, Owen, and Liebe. I'm expanding what I wrote in Cadet about the week after leaving Mexico. Cesar, Brett, Ritch, and some ancient biker from Fort Lauderdale make appearances. LOL

As for Spain, @JACC lives there too. I think the two of you and any other Iberians around will enjoy something I've been working on. Did you know they distill gin in Port Mahon?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Gary L said:

Nope, I didn’t. Sadly, spirits are not on the list of approved tipples. Wine only.  So, another Iberian……. Ummmm 

Maybe the three of us can enjoy a bottle of Vega Sicilia one of these days. :P

• Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1