Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

@kbois

Sounds like you're staying put. I hope you're away from the bay.

Last night, while I was watching Monday Night Football, it started raining. Pretty sure it rained all night and it's still pouring. We might get a little wind, but it's gonna be wet no matter what.

People don't realize the center of the hurricane may be headed to the Tampa area, but the rain and wind cover a huge area.

• Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
14 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Retirement age in the UK is 67. I have another 15 years at work till I reach that.

I’m “lucky” in that I get minimum pension from next birthday 66 - but thanks to brexit I just get minimum from us and the same from Spain.  I will be drinking cooking wine not Rioja:::::  

• Haha 5
7 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

My best thoughts go to them, Dughlas.  The latest reports are that the storm will make landfall a bit south of Tampa, but there is still the water to contend with.

Thanks. I have an uncle and cousins in Naples. With the earlier track they felt relatively okay, now ... time will tell.

• Fingers Crossed 5
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

Thanks. I have an uncle and cousins in Naples. With the earlier track they felt relatively okay, now ... time will tell.

I lived in Naples for a year, in a gated community by Marco Island. Canals crisscrossed the development to provide drainage, but they're probably flooding.

We have rain and wind on the east coast, but it's mild. Although wind now and then kicks up. It woke me up around 3:30. Here's hoping your people ride it out safely.

SC may get hit once Ian leaves Florida.

• Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2

I spoke with my brother this morning.  They purchased a condo just north of Tampa getting ready to retire, but then bought a different one about 15 minutes more inland.  They just put the first one up for sale this week!  Talk about bad timing!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
12 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I lived in Naples for a year, in a gated community by Marco Island. Canals crisscrossed the development to provide drainage, but they're probably flooding.

We have rain and wind on the east coast, but it's mild. Although wind now and then kicks up. It woke me up around 3:30. Here's hoping your people ride it out safely.

SC may get hit once Ian leaves Florida.

It was too late for my uncle and cousins to evacuate. They were told to shelter in place. As of 5:45pm they were okay. My uncle was without power but had gone to stay with my cousin who has a generator. To thatoint they had some minor wind damage to trees but no flooding in their immediate area.

Mum is expecting several inches of rain that is likely cause some flooding in the area. There is also the potential for a 2-4 foot storm surge immediately along the coast. She is 5 miles from the ocean and 14 ft above sea level. She is scheduled to fly up to me in PA on Monday evening. Plans we made in July.

Edited by dughlas
  • Fingers Crossed 5
On 9/28/2022 at 6:46 PM, dughlas said:

It was too late for my uncle and cousins to evacuate. They were told to shelter in place. As of 5:45pm they were okay. My uncle was without power but had gone to stay with my cousin who has a generator. To thatoint they had some minor wind damage to trees but no flooding in their immediate area.

Mum is expecting several inches of rain that is likely cause some flooding in the area. There is also the potential for a 2-4 foot storm surge immediately along the coast. She is 5 miles from the ocean and 14 ft above sea level. She is scheduled to fly up to me in PA on Monday evening. Plans we made in July.

How did your mom fare?

Watching it make landfall in SC, reminded me of Hugo. I was in the city five years after that storm and you coud still see damage in the historic district.

• Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 2
1 hour ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Five more sleeps and the Abellos go on a European vacation!

Take a look at the banner atop my profile page for a hint.

lovely, can't wait to see where in Europe they end up :)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Carlos Hazday said:

5 minutes ago, tabaqui said:

lovely, can't wait to see where in Europe they end up :)

Can’t wait! ☺️

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Mare nostrum?

• Like 4
10 hours ago, dughlas said:

She was fortunate. Ian made landfall about 35mi to the south. She suffered no damage or power outage. The damage was worse to the north and south. It seemed there was a a space between the core and the outer walls and that is what passed over her.

Excellent news! As much fun as being out in windy weather can be, and as good as all that rain does to keep drought at bay, I'd rather deal with little tropical storms than monsters like Ian.

• Like 1
  • Love 3