Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

• Site Moderator

Writing this story is really messing up my head. Last night I dreamt CJ was getting married and JLo had agreed to perform at his wedding. HA! not happening anytime soon.

*musing out loud* Perhaps it is your subconscious telling you to continue the story....ever think of that? :yes:

• Site Moderator

Off topic

I'm reading Book 1 of a series...already read some of the others, so obviously not doing this in order...and have come across an error that has me confounded. There was a scene between the two MCs that took place just before 7 pm in July. That is important to note because on the next page it is stated that the "sun had set not long ago". That is certainly not a character error, but it makes me wonder about this author's thought processes. It's either a case of artistic licence run amok or the author is well just plain daft.... :blink:

Luckily, the later books didn't have issues of this nature or I might not have read them....the plots and execution of said plots is quite good. 

*musing out loud* Perhaps it is your subconscious telling you to continue the story....ever think of that? :yes:

LOL

I'm happy to let you know that Mann and Kitt have signed contracts to work with me on Spring. I had to double their salaries!

• Like 1

Off topic

I'm reading Book 1 of a series...already read some of the others, so obviously not doing this in order...and have come across an error that has me confounded. There was a scene between the two MCs that took place just before 7 pm in July. That is important to note because on the next page it is stated that the "sun had set not long ago". That is certainly not a character error, but it makes me wonder about this author's thought processes. It's either a case of artistic licence run amok or the author is well just plain daft.... :blink:

Luckily, the later books didn't have issues of this nature or I might not have read them....the plots and execution of said plots is quite good. 

I have no idea how others do it, but I've yet to sit down and write a chapter in its entirety in one shot. I usually write a scene, go do something or other, and then return to work on the next one. Sometimes I need to read what I wrote before to make sure my continuity is on spot. That's not even taking into account the having fo make sure what I'm writting doesn't conflict with something I wrote 20 chapters before.

There's one series I went crazy with when the author claimed some visitors were in town for a week but then went on to describe what they did while over 3 different weekends. I think a lot has to do with how much pride one takes in what we write. It's the same with all the damn stories authors abandon halfway through claiming writer's block. To me that's bull most of the time. If I start posting a story, you better believe I know what's going to happen all the way to the end. I may not have all the details (kitt will vouch for the fact I bounce things of her all the time) but I have an outline which will guide me. Hell, I know who CJ's going to marry and an approximate time (you may as well know CJ's not one of the characters who die). But I have no idea of what those events will be like. That's why I thought the JLo thing was weird.

Aside from pride in my work, it's respect for the readers. I made a promise to tell a story when I started posting and hell if I'm going to go back on my word.

And we are still a bargain!

LMAO!

I'm splitting what GA pays me for providing content with you guys!

• Like 2

Some authors can sit and write a story start to finish without an outline, but having one can help keep things on track when the characters start trying to push things in new directions.  Many times I have worked with Sasha on a story, and then we went back while talking over skype and created a timeline for the existing chapters so we could steer the story where he wanted it in spite of the tangent the main character tried to run off on.  It was nothing as formal as Carlos lays out, but it was enough to keep the characters all headed towards the climax of the story.  

I am not an author, and probably never will write anything beyond my little prompt responses, but I have learned that sometimes keeping characters in line is like herding cats!

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 1

So I guess the issue was that it set too early?

I'm not sure why some people post what they do. If it's on Nifty and it's just a wank story, I forgive a lot. Otherwise, I expect people to read what they wrote before they post it. I've been reading something on another site which is a pretty good story, but it's riddled with silly typos and excess words left behing after the author made changes. He has the books for sale on Amazon, I would have bought them but figure why spend money on something which has so many errors. And if he confusesl capital and capitol one more time, or principal and principle, I'm gonna go postal.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why some people post what they do. If it's on Nifty and it's just a wank story, I forgive a lot. Otherwise, I expect people to read what they wrote before they post it. I've been reading something on another site which is a pretty good story, but it's riddled with silly typos and excess words left behing after the author made changes. He has the books for sale on Amazon, I would have bought them but figure why spend money on something which has so many errors. And if he confusesl capital and capitol one more time, or principal and principle, I'm gonna go postal.

LOL Those two homonym sets are on my list of check in every single chapter!

Some authors can sit and write a story start to finish without an outline, but having one can help keep things on track when the characters start trying to push things in new directions.  Many times I have worked with Sasha on a story, and then we went back while talking over skype and created a timeline for the existing chapters so we could steer the story where he wanted it in spite of the tangent the main character tried to run off on.  It was nothing as formal as Carlos lays out, but it was enough to keep the characters all headed towards the climax of the story.  

I am not an author, and probably never will write anything beyond my little prompt responses, but I have learned that sometimes keeping characters in line is like herding cats!

Not sure what I outline is that formal. You know I've mentioned things to you that won't happen until CJ's out of school, but all I may have is a little line for it.

Because my story is date specific, and I'm 2 years behind current times, I do add dated lines to my spreadsheet when something happens which I might like to use. I mentione Marco Rubio to you recently in that respect. When I wrote him into the story it was because he's a Senator from Florida and writing a Republican character gave me a little balance with the liberal views of other characters. Then the fucker went and announced he was running for president and now I have to keep an eye on what he says and does.

• Like 2

LOL Those two homonym sets are on my list of check in every single chapter!

It drove me nuts I used where instead of were twice in recent chapters. It gave you something to do, but it killed me!

Kitt obviously caught them before the chapters were posted. And I have to assume those two made it into the story in lines I added after Mann had finished with his work.

• Like 1

LOL if you ever saw the notes Sasha and I ended up with for one of his stories, you would swear it was either a grapevine or an attempt at doing a family tree for Mark Arbors CAP series! 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I know what you mean about the errors. I've read some stories from Amazon that have a ridiculous number of errors to the point that figuring out what is really being said, thought or described is too much of a bother...disappointing when the storyline peaks my interest. 

By the way, I do appreciate the lengths that you go to to ensure story and character continuity.  ;)

• Like 1

LOL if you ever saw the notes Sasha and I ended up with for one of his stories, you would swear it was either a grapevine or an attempt at doing a family tree for Mark Arbors CAP series! 

That's what bothered me about the JLo performing at CJ's wedding, it smacked of Robbie's funeral, and I don't want to steal that type of idea! (I think that was his name.) I'm still pissed Mark killed him off, the guy was flawed but I liked him.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

My observation of Owen and CJ's relationship as stated in my chapter comment:

Poor Owen, I think he may have seen there being more to his relationship with CJ because of his bad experience with his self absorbed thoughtles ex.

I will say right now, that I did not read any of the other comments or author replies before composing and posting my own comment. To that end Carlos, I was delighted to read your response to Spikey's comment: 

Owen may be reacting to his bad experience by trying to force something with CJ, when neither is really ready for it.

Nice to know we were on the same wavelength on that front. :)
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

You were the first one to see that angle. I thinks it's great how different readers focus on different aspects of the story. I'll have to try harder to keep y'all guessing what comes next.

Well, you already have me guessing about Danno and Dragon...is that an Easter egg plant or isn't it? :unsure:

• Site Moderator

• Sometimes ideas have to age properly before they can be truly enjoyed. The first reference to Owen was way back in Summer when his brother visited DC. It took over twenty chapters!

The look of this post makes me think you've had it prepared for a while just waiting for the opportune time to use it. 

I wonder what else you've got on that list...that's right, I said list because I know this is not a one off. :P

• Like 1

The look of this post makes me think you've had it prepared for a while just waiting for the opportune time to use it. 

I wonder what else you've got on that list...that's right, I said list because I know this is not a one off. :P

I replied to your message on my iPad while on the couch watching TV. The damn thi's great for reading, but when it dies I'm getting one I can attach a real keyboard to! That little marker was the tablet's idea, not mine.

The list (s) are my crutch. My memory's not the best. But now I have the additional issue of having to track certain real-life characters. I alredy mentioned using Marco Rubio and then his deciding to run for President. Brian Sims did the same thing. I wrote him into the story 'cause I liked him and then he decides to run for Congress. I've contributed to his campaign and will do so again. If he wins, he'll be in Washington most of the time and work his way back into the lives of CJ and his dads!

I think she has your number Carlos!

Please, like I'm not an open book already? Someone sent me a PM recently asking a question about something not story related. They claimed they thought of me because I'm one of the most open and hones (or something like that) people on GA. I'm easy! And get your minds out of the gutter, I don't mean it that way. LOL

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I replied to your message on my iPad while on the couch watching TV. The damn thi's great for reading, but when it dies I'm getting one I can attach a real keyboard to! That little marker was the tablet's idea, not mine.

The list (s) are my crutch. My memory's not the best. But now I have the additional issue of having to track certain real-life characters. I alredy mentioned using Marco Rubio and then his deciding to run for President. Brian Sims did the same thing. I wrote him into the story 'cause I liked him and then he decides to run for Congress. I've contributed to his campaign and will do so again. If he wins, he'll be in Washington most of the time and work his way back into the lives of CJ and his dads!

Please, like I'm not an open book already? Someone sent me a PM recently asking a question about something not story related. They claimed they thought of me because I'm one of the most open and hones (or something like that) people on GA. I'm easy! And get your minds out of the gutter, I don't mean it that way. LOL

Minds in the gutter?!? Who us? 0:)  0:)  It's not in our nature.  0:)  0:)

As for the iPad. I didn't know you could do it, but my eldest brother got an external keyboard for his iPad. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably the one Apple made especially for iPads. I wonder how good it is? :unsure: 

Oh drat, I forgot about my tea that I left steeping...bye!