Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

Please forgive me being pedantic. Personal peeve: This is not a forum, this is a discussion thread for CJ, with the Stories Discussion Forum. Only a few Signature Authors have individual forums for themselves. It drive's me nuts when I see authors ask readers to post in the story discussion forum. I figure if they're that careless and don't pay attention... I'll bite my tongue here.

ooops for Defiance vs Defiant and oooops for hour's

At most you'd get 25% of the blame since there were 4 sets of eyes on the chapter (all more than once) before it was released to the public. Of course, 100% of it rests on my shoulders, I was the idiot who wrote it!

I'll consider myself properly scolded.. I shall remember in the future when posting to this thread.. :P 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Please forgive me being pedantic. Personal peeve: This is not a forum, this is a discussion thread for CJ, with the Stories Discussion Forum. Only a few Signature Authors have individual forums for themselves. It drive's me nuts when I see authors ask readers to post in the story discussion forum. I figure if they're that careless and don't pay attention... I'll bite my tongue here.

ooops for Defiance vs Defiant and oooops for hour's

At most you'd get 25% of the blame since there were 4 sets of eyes on the chapter (all more than once) before it was released to the public. Of course, 100% of it rests on my shoulders, I was the idiot who wrote it!

Interesting, now it's my turn to say "huh" today" I'm a bit confused about your pet peeve. What brought that on or do I even want to know?

As for you being an idiot? Bite you tongue mister. Your stories may have an error once in a blue moon, but I liken that to the old saying "Can't see the forest for the trees" and that damnable cheeky auto correct. I don't know how many times I have typed "good morning" and autocorrect has seen fit to insert the word "ode" into the mix. Must be possessed or something...

• Like 1

Interesting, now it's my turn to say "huh" today" I'm a bit confused about your pet peeve. What brought that on or do I even want to know?

As for you being an idiot? Bite you tongue mister. Your stories may have an error once in a blue moon, but I liken that to the old saying "Can't see the forest for the trees" and that damnable cheeky auto correct. I don't know how many times I have typed "good morning" and autocorrect has seen fit to insert the word "ode" into the mix. Must be possessed or something...

Def posted a comment about running out of the forum after she made a smart aleck comment.

Normally, such transgressions I ignore, but I've given up on a few stories lately 'cause the authors make silly mistakes by not paying attention (ie: Defiant vs Defiance) you and I discussed caring enough about the story and the readers recently so you know how hard I try.

This week I tried to get back into a story here on GA. I had stopped reading and was hoping certain things had improved with time. However, after the third exhortation by the author for readers to comment on the "STORY NAME" Forum, I realized the individual still wasn't paying attention, and if they didn't care enough to do so, then I ddin't need to spend the limited amount of reading time I have on their stuff.

Patience is not something I have a lot of (can't you tell by how my characters act? LOL) and sometimes it takes very little for me to snap. In the instance I refer to, I was already predisposed against the story so it didn't take much for me to ditch it. I don't follow a lot of weekly serials here and I'm way behind reading anyway. Oh well... sorry about the rant. Have I mentioned I'm anal? I keep shooting for perfection. I know it's not achievable, but it's the only way I know how to improve.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

Def posted a comment about running out of the forum after she made a smart aleck comment.

Normally, such transgressions I ignore, but I've given up on a few stories lately 'cause the authors make silly mistakes by not paying attention (ie: Defiant vs Defiance) you and I discussed caring enough about the story and the readers recently so you know how hard I try.

This week I tried to get back into a story here on GA. I had stopped reading and was hoping certain things had improved with time. However, after the third exhortation by the author for readers to comment on the "STORY NAME" Forum, I realized the individual still wasn't paying attention, and if they didn't care enough to do so, then I ddin't need to spend the limited amount of reading time I have on their stuff.

Patience is not something I have a lot of (can't you tell by how my characters act? LOL) and sometimes it takes very little for me to snap. In the instance I refer to, I was already predisposed against the story so it didn't take much for me to ditch it. I don't follow a lot of weekly serials here and I'm way behind reading anyway. Oh well... sorry about the rant. Have I mentioned I'm anal? I keep shooting for perfection. I know it's not achievable, but it's the only way I know how to improve.

Okay, now I get it. You make a very valid point. It is much easier to follow a story if reader and author reviews are all in one place rather than scattered between discussions in a forum. The reviews can be invaluable additions to our interpretation of what is going on. Sometimes we need the author responses to get us back on track. Other times, it is nice to know that we "got" what the author was trying to tell us. 

Hours worth. Hour was not a contraction and did not own the practice.

Briefly de-lurking to note that "hour's worth of practice" is correct with the apostrophe. This is an inanimate possessive, which is used most often with units of time. It's not that the hour owns the practice—rather that it owns the worth.

I'm really enjoying the CJ saga, Carlos...each new chapter is a nice way to end the week.

• Like 1

Briefly de-lurking to note that "hour's worth of practice" is correct with the apostrophe. This is an inanimate possessive, which is used most often with units of time. It's not that the hour owns the practice—rather that it owns the worth.

I'm really enjoying the CJ saga, Carlos...each new chapter is a nice way to end the week.

Well I feel better about not having removed that apostrophe in the first place!  It was only when I was looking back for the mentioned mistakes that I thought I should have removed it.

• Like 2

Feel free to de-lurk at any time, sir.

You've made me happy on two fronts: My team didn't mess up the grammar and more people I was aware of pay attention to this thread.

• Like 2

Chapter 9 of Winter, "It's Hard to be a Saint in the City", is posted and will be published in less than twenty-four hours. It's significant that it's also the fiftieth chapter in the series. Not bad for an atypical tale of a teen growing up. No excesive angst, no supernatural influences, and minimal sappy/mushy stuff.

When I concieved the story, there was an opening scene, a final act, and an outline of what was to happen in between. Deviations have been minimal, my initial concept still stands. I wasn't certain how far I'd go in sharing on GA, but the help Mann, Kitt, and Bucket have provided has been invaluable to getting here.

But most of all, the support of a small, loyal, group of readers is what has kept me going. To all of you who, read, like, review--and occasionally de-lurk to post on this thread--my sincere thanks. I hope I can continue to meet your expectations in the future.

:worship:

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 5
  • Site Moderator

Chapter 9 of Winter, "It's Hard to be a Saint in the City", is posted and will be published in less than twenty-four hours. It's significant that it's also the fiftieth chapter in the series. Not bad for an atypical tale of a teen growing up. No excesive angst, no supernatural influences, and minimal sappy/mushy stuff.

When I concieved the story, there was an opening scene, a final act, and an outline of what was to happen in between. Deviations have been minimal, my initial concept still stands. I wasn't certain how far I'd go in sharing on GA, but the help Mann, Kitt, and Bucket have provided has been invaluable to getting here.

But most of all, the support of a small, loyal, group of readers is what has kept me going. To all of you who, read, like, review--and occasionally de-lurk to post on this thread--my sincere thanks. I hope I can continue to meet your expectations in the future.

Hey Carlos

First off, thanks for showing your appreciation to your readers but how could we not when you have given so much to us?  

It's amazing to think that CJ is now 50 chapters strong. I can still remember finding out about this story because I read about it in a Prompt. Of course, being the curious and inquisitive critter that I am, I just had to investigate to see if CJ...or Summer as it was at that point...was real or just a part of the plot of the Prompt. 

I'm happy to say that I was delighted to find out it was real. 

You have given us above and beyond the price of admission so, to you, I say thank you! 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2

I'm late to the celebration. I second what Reader said..

I raise my glass to you Carlos.. Thank you, You Rock.. And 50 chapters to boot! Here's to 50 more? 

• Like 1

A bit early to raise a glass but if I were to, I'd finish off the bottle of 2014 CIRO Res Dei Bianco I almost finished yesterday. Nice fruity notes mellowed out by a sharp mineral flourish which give it a lot of character.

We can celebrate something else, though. I noticed after I'd replied to it, the review Rex left on the latest chapter was number 100 for Winter. For someone who doesn't place that much value on the metrics I seem to be noticing numbers a lot!

My thanks to all!

• Site Moderator

A bit early to raise a glass but if I were to, I'd finish off the bottle of 2014 CIRO Res Dei Bianco I almost finished yesterday. Nice fruity notes mellowed out by a sharp mineral flourish which give it a lot of character.

We can celebrate something else, though. I noticed after I'd replied to it, the review Rex left on the latest chapter was number 100 for Winter. For someone who doesn't place that much value on the metrics I seem to be noticing numbers a lot!

My thanks to all!

100 Reviews is definetly something to celebrate

:wizard:  :wizard:  :wizard:  :wizard:  :wizard::wizard:  :wizard:  :wizard:  :wizard:  :wizard::wizard:  :wizard:  :wizard:  :wizard: =100 !!!!!

Seeing as how I'm having breakfast as I read this, you'll have to settle for a milk toast so apologies in advance that I'm not breaking out the bubbly stuff

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1

Thanks!

Just finished breakfast myself. I feel a lazy day coming on so may I not get much if any writing done.

I'm still trying to figure out who gets killed next and who CJ has sex with this weekend anyway.

LOL

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Site Moderator

Thanks!

Just finished breakfast myself. I feel a lazy day coming on so may I not get much if any writing done.

I'm still trying to figure out who gets killed next and who CJ has sex with this weekend anyway.

LOL

Well than good morning to you Carlos as for who gets killed next, my vote is for Tom's dad because the only thing he is doing is polluting the air and aren't we supposed to be reducing pollution?  -_-

As for CJ's sex life, I'm leaving that to him...it's private dontcha know... :P

Side note, my response to your 100 was my 2600th post, pretty cool, huh?  I just thought I'd throw that out there considering you have a thing for numbers now. :)

• Like 1

Well than good morning to you Carlos as for who gets killed next, my vote is for Tom's dad because the only thing he is doing is polluting the air and aren't we supposed to be reducing pollution?  -_-

As for CJ's sex life, I'm leaving that to him...it's private dontcha know... :P

Side note, my response to your 100 was my 2600th post, pretty cool, huh?  I just thought I'd throw that out there considering you have a thing for numbers now. :)

That would be Denmark Tim who's fixated on funky numbers :) Congrats on the posts, you have twice as many as I do!

CJ's sex life's only private while I'm writing, as soon as the editor gets hold of the chapter all bets are off. Hell I had a couple of complaints 'cause I wasn't explicit enough. Pigs!

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

That would be Denmark Tim who's fixated on funky numbers :) Congrats on the posts, you have twice as many as I do!

CJ's sex life's only private while I'm writing, as soon as the editor gets hold of the chapter all bets are off. Hell I had a couple of complaints 'cause I wasn't explicit enough. Pigs!

:o Complaints?!? :thumbdown:   :thumbdown:   Not members of the "less is more" club that's for sure.  :rolleyes:

Moi?

Im so proud right now. I'm on the couch, feet up on the armrest, watching Meet the Press while on my iPad with y'all. My brain is really multitasking, I'm also plotting two separate scenes which would end up being almost 50 chapters apart! I may need a cocktail soon.

• Site Moderator

Moi?

Im so proud right now. I'm on the couch, feet up on the armrest, watching Meet the Press while on my iPad with y'all. My brain is really multitasking, I'm also plotting two separate scenes which would end up being almost 50 chapters apart! I may need a cocktail soon.

So that mean there will be at least 50 more chapters, right? Awesome!!!   :D  :D  :thankyou: 

So that mean there will be at least 50 more chapters, right? Awesome!!!   :D  :D  :thankyou:

Have you looked at the calendar? Winter's almost over. :D

Ill make sure I leave my outline and notes behind as soon as I enter the witness protection program. Y'all can find a replacement author.