Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

@JayT

I drew a temporary blank and had to google Philips. For some reason I remember his dad coaching career in more detail than his own. Guess it's a generational thing. Bum Philips headed the Oilers and Saints when I used to follow sports more closely. :P

• Like 5
On May 18, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Bucket1 said:

Its OK Carlos, I think we all know who will be the bad influence in his life :P

On May 18, 2017 at 8:05 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

The kid probably gets home from school and rushes to the refrigerator to see if Aunt Def left an half-full, open bottle of wine in it!

On May 18, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Bucket1 said:

Half-full, open bottle of wine - Never

On May 18, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Are you suggesting @Defiance19 never met a bottle of wine she wasn't willing to finish in one sitting?

On May 18, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Bucket1 said:

I am suggesting that Def never leaves the job half-done, she is a woman of determination :) 

On May 18, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

A woman of unquenchable thirst would also be an apt description! I feel bad for the next redheaded bartender she runs into!

I would declare slander if at least 80% of this wasn't true... :rolleyes:

On May 18, 2017 at 3:38 PM, dughlas said:

It would be even funnier if his name was Sean and Def introduced him to the story.

Yeah, but no... He might be tempted to find an Ethan.. Wait...on second thought..... 

On May 18, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Carlos Hazday said:

My neighbor's a furry redhead and so is my tattoo artist. Def may start snow-birding!

Hmmm... If I stay healthy enough during race season I might finally complete a 26.2.. I'd want a tattoo then. *note to self...*

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
10 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

On 5/18/2017 at 8:01 AM, Bucket1 said:

Its OK Carlos, I think we all know who will be the bad influence in his life :P

On 5/18/2017 at 8:05 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

The kid probably gets home from school and rushes to the refrigerator to see if Aunt Def left an half-full, open bottle of wine in it!

On 5/18/2017 at 8:11 AM, Bucket1 said:

Half-full, open bottle of wine - Never

On 5/18/2017 at 8:14 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Are you suggesting @Defiance19 never met a bottle of wine she wasn't willing to finish in one sitting?

On 5/18/2017 at 8:15 AM, Bucket1 said:

I am suggesting that Def never leaves the job half-done, she is a woman of determination :) 

On 5/18/2017 at 8:18 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

A woman of unquenchable thirst would also be an apt description! I feel bad for the next redheaded bartender she runs into!

I would declare slander if at least 80% of this wasn't true... :rolleyes:

See Def, this is what happens when the kids get left at home without a sitter. :P

• Like 4
Just now, dughlas said:

Dammit! My weekend's already kinda full ... hmmm, who/what can I bail on?

Did you read the article? I'm hoping one of these days I get to attend a game and surprise a couple of the real guys. I've traded e-mails with the club's president and he was thrilled I was giving theit team publicity. He compared the CJ series to Maupin's Tales of the City in it's scope if not the actual writing. I want just a fraction of the success Armistead had!

Anyway, the May 2016 chapter will feature the Scandals prominently. And the Gotham Knights are in the outline for a future chapter.

• Like 4

@sweetlion86

When you walk out of The Tombs, if you look to the right, the Exorcist Stairs are at the end of the block. The Abello house is meant to be there. I took some liberties with the location and decided you could see the entrance to the restaurant from the house's front windows. The real house served as the inspiration for mine but I heavily modified the structure.

The Tombs I tried to be faithful to in my descriptions. Some of it was based on memories. But when I visited DC last, a year after I'd started the series, I went there for lunch as part of my research. At least that's the excuse I gave myself. LOL

• Like 3

I love it when weather cooperates.

I'm outlining a little scene for Halloween night 2016 where a couple of cast members do something outdoors. I got worried there had been gale winds, rain, or snow that night and a sharp-eyed reader would call me out on it. Research to the rescue! Clear skies and low 50s in Washington, D.C. on October 31, 2016.

:D

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
22 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I love it when weather cooperates.

I'm outlining a little scene for Halloween night 2016 where a couple of cast members do something outdoors. I got worried there had been gale winds, rain, or snow that night and a sharp-eyed reader would call me out on it. Research to the rescue! Clear skies and low 50s in Washington, D.C. on October 31, 2016.

:D

I love how conscientious you are about the details in CJ. Dramatic license would probably allow it, but it's good to know you keep things 'real' for those of us who ponder the details. :) 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I love how conscientious you are about the details in CJ. Dramatic license would probably allow it, but it's good to know you keep things 'real' for those of us who ponder the details. :) 

Having the story take place in the real world has its drawbacks. Weather played a key role the first winter CJ spent in Washington since he wasn't used to cold or snow. Once I had him acclimated it wasn't as crucial to get it right. I did check it again when Ritchie moved but it wasn't as bigt a deal since he's a secondary character. I think last time I used the weather website was when writing the trip to Colorado and the wedding in Chicago.

This time it crossed my mind maybe what I was planning could be impacted, so before moving the scene indoors I looked and got lucky. It would have worked indoors but not for the atmosphere I wanted. That damn basement sees enough action already!

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

If you have a man cave in the basement with all the features you described, is it any wonder the Squad makes good use of it?  Come on, the john even has a urinal!

My best friend through high school and college had one of those at this house. His dad built a racketball court behind the house and the building had a small weight room and a large open space with a giant projection TV (before the modern stuff), a pool table, and a bunch of games. We spent more time in that room than anywhere else. The bathroom didn't have a urinal though. :P

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

I want a man cave with a urinal and all the rest. Do you think the Dads would adopt me?

Maybe after CJ and Ritchie move out. I'm thinking empty nesters may want a boy toy by then. You may have to put out...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Maybe after CJ and Ritchie move out. I'm thinking empty nesters may want a boy toy by then. You may have to put out...

Like that would be a problem

:o you mean sexual favours???

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bucket1 said:

Like that would be a problem

:o you mean sexual favours???

It might be... but if you have a problem, I can tell Brett to find himself another plaything...

• Like 1