Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

@Hlasota

My artificial limit on chapters, each covering a month, combined with my reliance on real life events has left me in a tight spot at times. Some months I need to cram a lot of events into a single chapter and others I get to flesh out scenes a bit more. Just wait until we get to December! That one got so long I had to split it in two!

• Like 5

@avidreadr

You're correct, Ritchie was born in 2002. And yes, there's a lot of politics in this chapter but that's to be expected considering they're in Washington and the presidential campaign was starting to heat up during the time this chapter takes place.

Cesar has complained before about Brett being a child at times. That's the personality I want for him. A retired marine who's all business when he has to be but has a streak of mischief.

• Like 4

@JeffreyL

One thing I liked about writing this chapter was it gave me the opportunity to show the main characters in a serious setting followed by more relaxed ones. I kept thinking of the old saying about all work and no play and tried to show CJ and the other main characters dealing with important issues and then letting their hair down.

• Like 5

@pvtguy

Hey Tony. I'm glad you like the political stuff, it's not for everyone but it will continue to be part of CJ's life. There'll be a few scenes here and there in the remaining Walls' chapters and then a bit more in the first few chapters of the next book. As CJ's government philosophy becomes clearer, I think a few readers will be surprised! :D

• Like 3

Hi Carlos, Wow, really liked this chapter, and how rubic was put in his place but do worry a bit that CJ maybe in for a fall by rubbing someone like him the wrong way.

I do love a bit of politics and looking forward to how CJ;s stance takes him as to what party he follows.

I have noticed that politics in the USA compared to the UK is vastly different, I have life long friends who will only vote for one party regardless of the candidates attitude where as over here 90% of people often put party aside and vote for the best of a bad bunch.

I have to admit being such an outsider the "sight seeing" details can be a bit over whelming but politics I find fascinating.

I always liked the Clinton administration so did hope that Hillary Clinton would get in to office as I felt she was the best but the other guy got in.........yeah, what can I say???

did you know what the English slang word for his surname is?? I think it fits him well.

Thanks Carlos..

• Like 2

@Bucket1

You got it, mate! Walls is a romance free zone! :D

I did enjoy writing the conversation between CJ and Senator Rubio and I may have channeled some of my own thoughts in there. The rest of the political stuff was okay but it's in there mostly because it advances the story and serves as the basis for future events.I read the chapter again yesterday and surprised myself by tearing up and laughing. The tears came while reading the scene with Rubio. Tears of pride that my 'son' had such convictions and the balls to express himself. The conversations during the rafting trip and Ty's proposal had me chuckling

No more politics for a few chapters even though one politician does make an appearance in the next two.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Jeff1 said:

Hi Carlos, Wow, really liked this chapter, and how rubic was put in his place but do worry a bit that CJ maybe in for a fall by rubbing someone like him the wrong way.

I do love a bit of politics and looking forward to how CJ;s stance takes him as to what party he follows.

I have noticed that politics in the USA compared to the UK is vastly different, I have life long friends who will only vote for one party regardless of the candidates attitude where as over here 90% of people often put party aside and vote for the best of a bad bunch.

I have to admit being such an outsider the "sight seeing" details can be a bit over whelming but politics I find fascinating.

I always liked the Clinton administration so did hope that Hillary Clinton would get in to office as I felt she was the best but the other guy got in.........yeah, what can I say???

did you know what the English slang word for his surname is?? I think it fits him well.

Thanks Carlos..

For most people, politics seems to be a polarizing subject even if we're affected by them every day of our lives. At a family gathering over Christmas, I listened to my 18 yo niece despair at Trump's election while talking to my 50 something cousin. He kept insisting it was silly to get worked up over such 'inconsequential' maters while she railed against him because of his apathy. Her spirit has inspired CJ's actions and words more than once.

CJ has some strong convictions and isn't shy about expressing them. The dads encourage him even if they do it in different ways: the marine's feisty and confrontational while the accountant's more sedate and diplomatic. They balance each other out well. I think a lot of readers will be surprised by where all this takes CJ. But that's something which won't be seen clearly until the next two books.

Thanks for the continued support, Jeff.

• Like 4

In case anyone wants to give it a shot; here's the recipe for the meal Ritchie liked:

Chicken Breast With Shaved Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients

2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 broccoli stems
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups thinly sliced brussel sprouts (from 12 medium)
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated

Preparation

1. Place chicken and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat, cover, and let stand 15 minutes. Drain chicken and run under cold water. Cool completely; set aside. Using 2 forks, shred into bite-size pieces; reserve.

2. Meanwhile, use a vegetable peeler to remove outer layer of broccoli stems; discard. Continue peeling stems into long strips. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add broccoli strips, brussel sprouts, celery, hazelnuts, parsley, and reserved chicken to bowl with dressing; toss. Divide among 4 shallow bowls. Top with cheese.

• Like 3

@IBEX

Thank you, brother. Glad you enjoyed that one. I keep trying to mix serious scenes with levity and hopefully the balance is good. This chapter was definitely on the lighter side even if there was some serious political stuff in it.

Thought of you this morning while writing a little scene where Harley and CJ go riding on their own. A prelude to a lot more of that going on in the future.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Woke up early to post the new chapter of Walls and, unlike the past two weeks, I was unable to go back to sleep. So I'm sipping coffee and taking a trip down memory lane. I started looking over readers' comments on the early chapters of Summer and liking them. So far it's been interesting to see who was reading from day one, who's still following CJ, and who's fallen by the wayside.

At the beginning, I said this would be fiction rooted in real life and I've tried to stick to that approach. I tried to populate the story with characters inspired by the gay men I've been surrounded by since I came out and most of them aren't perfect. Some readers found certain conversations disturbing and may have put the tale aside. But those chats, with or without CJ, are an integral part of the story.

Are there things I'd do different today? Yes! Hopefully I'ver grown and improved as a writer. But the basic premise of the story hasn't changed: Gay men are the same as anyone else. We have good and not-so-good characteristics and I've tried to show both sides. We can create our own families and be as close to those people as we are to blood relatives. And most importantly, if we treat children with respect and give them the truth, they'll be better prepared to deal with life as they grow up.

Thanks to all of you who've stuck with me. And to those who haven't been around for a while, I hope one day you come back and see how it all ends.

You liked my first comment on your story, and I still remember it.  0:)

You're a great guy Carlos, and you've definitely grown as a writer.  I'm sorry to hear that people have been turned off along the journey.  Personally, I've enjoyed almost all of it for the most part.  Though, and you know this already, we are headed into territory that's going to test my resolve to stick to it.  There might even be some sections I have to skip over, but I definitely want to be around for the end.

That all being said, I still think I was right with my original comment... ;)

• Like 4

As in life Carlos, you can't please everyone. While their are political moments in your stories, not overly saturated with it. 
 Not just with CJ, politics is playing a bigger part in daily life. 
 Just keep doing what you do best. Follow your heart with YOUR story and words. 
 Your words are beautiful... so, You Do You @Carlos Hazday XX

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
7 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Woke up early to post the new chapter of Walls and, unlike the past two weeks, I was unable to go back to sleep. So I'm sipping coffee and taking a trip down memory lane. I started looking over readers' comments on the early chapters of Summer and liking them. So far it's been interesting to see who was reading from day one, who's still following CJ, and who's fallen by the wayside.

At the beginning, I said this would be fiction rooted in real life and I've tried to stick to that approach. I tried to populate the story with characters inspired by the gay men I've been surrounded by since I came out and most of them aren't perfect. Some readers found certain conversations disturbing and may have put the tale aside. But those chats, with or without CJ, are an integral part of the story.

Are there things I'd do different today? Yes! Hopefully I'ver grown and improved as a writer. But the basic premise of the story hasn't changed: Gay men are the same as anyone else. We have good and not-so-good characteristics and I've tried to show both sides. We can create our own families and be as close to those people as we are to blood relatives. And most importantly, if we treat children with respect and give them the truth, they'll be better prepared to deal with life as they grow up.

Thanks to all of you who've stuck with me. And to those who haven't been around for a while, I hope one day you come back and see how it all ends.

Dang, how'd I miss this? Oh right so many Notifications to slag through - very chatty bunch on GA today. :)

Can't say much right now so I'll leave you with...  

:thankyou: and :worship:  and  :thumbup:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

@spikey582

Not everyone can like every story so I'm not too concerned with people who've stopped reading. I've stopped reading some myself! In a perfect world, I would know what it was that turned them off but them the breaks. With you, I know if I don't hear anything it's most likely due to a high political content. I'll warn you there's a few scenes here and there through the end of Walls and that the first 3 chapters of the next book will have lots of it.

Mann's already warned me not to go overboard but the politics is an integral part of the story and CJ's involvement in the presidential campaign will influence the rest of his life. Listening to my esteemed editor, so far I've been alternating political and non political scenes in what I've written of the next one. You'll be able to pick and choose what you read :)

Thanks for the continued support, buddy. It's truly appreciated.

I have to say I'm one who stopped reading because of the content. Politics and the people in it bore the crap out of me especially if i dont live in that country. Bad enough I have some attention to the BS in my own country. I could go on about why but even that's too dull to think about.  But there's an audience for it and if that's where an author wants to go, they certainly can.  At some point I may binge read it... we'll see. Defo my choice is not due to C's writing, i enjoy most stuff he writes.  

hugs xo

• Like 5
41 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I have to say I'm one who stopped reading because of the content. Politics and the people in it bore the crap out of me especially if i dont live in that country. Bad enough I have some attention to the BS in my own country. I could go on about why but even that's too dull to think about.  But there's an audience for it and if that's where an author wants to go, they certainly can.  At some point I may binge read it... we'll see. Defo my choice is not due to C's writing, i enjoy most stuff he writes.  

hugs xo

I pretty much have the same issue tim.  It stresses me out and gives me a headache and I generally try to avoid too much of that kind of stuff.  Oddly enough the further back it goes, I find myself less stressed.  I guess because after a certain point I'm looking at it less as politics and more as history.  I'm weird like that.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

I pretty much have the same issue tim.  It stresses me out and gives me a headache and I generally try to avoid too much of that kind of stuff.  Oddly enough the further back it goes, I find myself less stressed.  I guess because after a certain point I'm looking at it less as politics and more as history.  I'm weird like that.

Lol, well spikey.. you're all right for a weird guy !

• Like 5