Intriguing start ... 

Good!  :D  :thankyou:

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out who those people were.

Care to share your thoughts? Your reaction is exactly what I wanted to accomplish.  :D  I just hope it isn't too annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL, I think Spikey is slightly pissed at the way the King and his staff are behaving. :lmao:

Only slightly? I can understand him, though. But in the end the king decides what to do, at least about his relationship. He is a very powerful man, who can prevent others from scanning/ reading him.

• Like 2

LOL, I think Spikey is slightly pissed at the way the King and his staff are behaving. :lmao:

Well, I damn near cried. Doesn't happen very often when reading. I guess we all like Noel very much.

And I don't buy the whole 'I made a mistake' routine. I mean really? He waits all those years and goes through all that to mate and turn an unsuspecting human. And now he says it's mistake? No. Just no. What pisses me off is he feels he can't confide in Noel. Which leads me to think there's a threat against Noel making D wanting to save him. He has a douche bag way of going about it though.

• Like 2

Noel's age and lack of experience would be a potential problem in a normal relationship where one guy is so much older. And the argument about their connection being mostly built on sex isn't far from the truth. But this should have been dealt with by the king including his mate in his daily life. Taking Noel with him everywhere, explaining the agenda beforehand and discussing events afterwards. Maybe he did so in the beginning and Noel spoke his mind? Did D resent having someone with the right to gainsay him? His first mate was his servant and his second mate was his bodyguard, but Noel is his lover and equal - or at least this was the deal he was promised. Why is he being excluded from gaining the experienced needed to understand this new society he has married into? What happened between their mating and now to reach this point? This is what you owe us an explanation about - and I'm hoping we'll get some flashbacks to give us a hint.

• Like 1

Lol, I owe you an explanation, yes? Reading the next chapters should do the trick. There might be a change in POV soon. Seeing everything through Diarmad's eyes.

Anyway, I thought I post here part of what I wrote in answering spikey's comment:

Let’s address the formal aspects first: Knocking on someone’s office door before coming in is only polite. You don’t simply barge into a room when you know the person inside could be working, being on the phone, concentrating on stuff. I do it when my mate [ ;) ] is in his office, at least when the door is closed.

The seating. Diarmad is certainly distancing himself from Noël by being this official. Why? There could be several reasons I could think of, but I am sure you can come up with some more, as avidreadr  put it, he could just be a cold ass, or as you said wanting to treat Noël as a subordinate. And pointing at a chair isn’t giving permission to sit, merely showing where.

Now to everyone’s behavior. We got to know Diarmad in The Holly and the Ivy when he was dying. And even after he met Noël, he was still recovering. He was dependent on his advisors, his friends, listened to them because he had to and he trusted them.  Simon mentioned he was more self-reliant or should I say kingly? – in the past, before he became ill.

And that’s exactly it. Diarmad is king. Let’s imagine the President of the USA wanted a divorce. His advisors would be strongly against it, but in the end, it’s his decision to make. If Diarmad isn’t as friendly as he was before, doesn’t seek advice from Landyn, Simon, or his other former confidants?- it’s his call, because he is king. If they started to spy on him, as powerful as he is, that wouldn’t be healthy for them.  And, as far as we know, no one can read the King’s mind.

This isn’t a democracy, the council can advise, observe the law but they can’t do anything against the king,  if the law hasn’t been broken. No one questions the king if he doesn’t want to be questioned.

Do his friends worry? Of course. Will they try to solve this conundrum? Certainly. But they have to do this following their law.

This isn’t the Diarmad we know and like. The story will answer why.

Edited by aditus
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have one observation that I would like to point out to y'all.  Diarmad went into Noel's room almost wishing beyond hope for at least a goodbye.  He realizes that isn't going to happen anytime soon, so he starts look around the room.  He doesn't really get upset until he realizes that Noel left everything that Diarmad ever bought him.  This meant that Noel's scent was EVERYWHERE in that room.  He yells and orders to get rid of everything...especially if it has Noel's scent.  Later, (or maybe earlier) we learned that Diarmad was going to have Landyn's brother, who happened to be D's former lover, move into the penthouse with him.  There is something more here than we know, because basically Simon tells Noel that Landyn and his brother do not get along.  They would rather stay away from the penthouse than spend time with his own brother.  What went on before to allow Landyn to arrive at this place??? Landyn would do ANYTHING for Diarmad, he idolizes the man soooooooooooooooooooo much. So obviously, Landyn's brother has something on Diarmad that is allowing him to force Diarmad's hand get what he wants.  Diarmad specifically asked for everything with Noel's scent to be taken away.  What if Landyn's brother doesn't know what Noel looks like, and made a threat against Noel's life to Diarmad, forcing D to kick Noel out and allow Landyn's brother in.  In my mind, he doesn't want to be separated from Noel, but in order to keep Noel alive, D has to send him away.  Or, like I said the other day somewhere else on this site...D needs an assemectamy to remove his head from his ass..

• Like 4

I have one observation that I would like to point out to y'all.  Diarmad went into Noel's room almost wishing beyond hope for at least a goodbye.  He realizes that isn't going to happen anytime soon, so he starts look around the room.  He doesn't really get upset until he realizes that Noel left everything that Diarmad ever bought him.  This meant that Noel's scent was EVERYWHERE in that room.  He yells and orders to get rid of everything...especially if it has Noel's scent.  Later, (or maybe earlier) we learned that Diarmad was going to have Landyn's brother, who happened to be D's former lover, move into the penthouse with him.  There is something more here than we know, because basically Simon tells Noel that Landyn and his brother do not get along.  They would rather stay away from the penthouse than spend time with his own brother.  What went on before to allow Landyn to arrive at this place??? Landyn would do ANYTHING for Diarmad, he idolizes the man soooooooooooooooooooo much. So obviously, Landyn's brother has something on Diarmad that is allowing him to force Diarmad's hand get what he wants.  Diarmad specifically asked for everything with Noel's scent to be taken away.  What if Landyn's brother doesn't know what Noel looks like, and made a threat against Noel's life to Diarmad, forcing D to kick Noel out and allow Landyn's brother in.  In my mind, he doesn't want to be separated from Noel, but in order to keep Noel alive, D has to send him away.  Or, like I said the other day somewhere else on this site...D needs an assemectamy to remove his head from his ass..

Naturally I can't really comment, but I have to say I love that the story makes you think of evil plots and reasons why. :D

I have one observation that I would like to point out to y'all. Diarmad went into Noel's room almost wishing beyond hope for at least a goodbye. He realizes that isn't going to happen anytime soon, so he starts look around the room. He doesn't really get upset until he realizes that Noel left everything that Diarmad ever bought him. This meant that Noel's scent was EVERYWHERE in that room. He yells and orders to get rid of everything...especially if it has Noel's scent. Later, (or maybe earlier) we learned that Diarmad was going to have Landyn's brother, who happened to be D's former lover, move into the penthouse with him. There is something more here than we know, because basically Simon tells Noel that Landyn and his brother do not get along. They would rather stay away from the penthouse than spend time with his own brother. What went on before to allow Landyn to arrive at this place??? Landyn would do ANYTHING for Diarmad, he idolizes the man soooooooooooooooooooo much. So obviously, Landyn's brother has something on Diarmad that is allowing him to force Diarmad's hand get what he wants. Diarmad specifically asked for everything with Noel's scent to be taken away. What if Landyn's brother doesn't know what Noel looks like, and made a threat against Noel's life to Diarmad, forcing D to kick Noel out and allow Landyn's brother in. In my mind, he doesn't want to be separated from Noel, but in order to keep Noel alive, D has to send him away. Or, like I said the other day somewhere else on this site...D needs an assemectamy to remove his head from his ass..

I did find it fishy that he went into the room after he kicked him out. But in still so upset that I can't nor want to think of reasons why this is so. They are supposed to be a team and the things he said basically ensured he broke Noel's heart. Sometimes there's no coming back from things like that. So I'll stick to he's an ass.
  • Like 3

I did find it fishy that he went into the room after he kicked him out. But in still so upset that I can't nor want to think of reasons why this is so. They are supposed to be a team and the things he said basically ensured he broke Noel's heart. Sometimes there's no coming back from things like that. So I'll stick to he's an ass.

That's essentially my biggest issue with the whole thing. You don't burn a bridge while keeping something like that a secret from the person you're supposed to be in love with. That's not a relationship of equals and frankly Noel can do better than some prideful jackass who treats the most important person in his life like garbage under the justification of "protection."

• Like 3

Reply from aditus (author)

Well the first blue triangle magically disappeared. It should have never existed. :blushing:

Ahh, I did wonder if you'd forgotten about the first triangle. But you said it was between his brows and the new one was going to be on his forehead, so I thought it was a double warning.

But you still haven't told us if humans can see it?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

That's essentially my biggest issue with the whole thing. You don't burn a bridge while keeping something like that a secret from the person you're supposed to be in love with. That's not a relationship of equals and frankly Noel can do better than some prideful jackass who treats the most important person in his life like garbage under the justification of "protection."

It was never a relationship of equals...D made sure Noel always knew his place

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I've only just read this series and up to the current chapter, but I'm surprised that no one has suggested what to me is the logical explanation for Diarmad's actions: that he's doing it for love.

Don't forget that Landyn had that sense of danger just before opening the door to Noel and Kristof. Could it be that Diarmad, after seeing being happy with Noel with Kristof, that he believes that Noel needs to love someone his own age, and is pushing Noel in that direction? That Landyn's sense of danger wasn't from an enemy, per se, but from a situation where his king may see something that's not really there?

Now, if that's the case, Diarmad is being stupid because he's not asking Noel what he wants, but he hasn't always shown himself to be the most sensible of people. He's been King for so long, he's not used to sharing decisions...

• Like 3

I've only just read this series and up to the current chapter, but I'm surprised that no one has suggested what to me is the logical explanation for Diarmad's actions: that he's doing it for love.

I think we're all assuming D is acting out of a sense of love and protectiveness. He's trying to do what's best for Noel, based on some secret information or knowledge, which he can't or won't tell anyone. What we're trying to work out is what the reason is and why he's not discussing it with Noel first.

• Like 1