2 wtch hs wds fil up w/ sno.

whose words these are i dont know

his house is in the village though

he will not see me stop here

to watch his words fill up with snow

i think ... 

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 2

I was thinking about this texting thing.

No, we probably will not write poetry like this. But I work on a Communication Team for a bank in Canada. And well, we get a lot of text speak/internet slang, if I couldn't read it I wouldn't be able to reply to our customers. 

Though we may not like it, it is becoming part of our language.  So it was fun to try and write this way. Though auto-correct was not REMOTELY helpful!!

• Like 2

Generally, I don't have much of an issue with text slang. But it depends on what the lingo is: OMG or LOL will not bother me, but something like YOLO will drive me crazy.

But my main concern with text slang, is how much it encourages grammatical errors :pinch: especially among my own generation and those after. For example, Wattpad.com is a site that hosts stories. And the main demographic of the writers are teens and pre-teens. And a lot of the stories on there make me wince. With some of them I ask, "What on earth have you done to the English language?!"

Okay, I give many of those writers some leeway, since many are first-time writers, but still... :/

Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Like 4

At work I also have to go through a lot of e-mail every day. I am apallled by the number of spelling and grammatical mistakes people make. Sometimes I think I am reading something a 5 year old put together. In my opinion it is a sign of contempt both of your language as  the recepient of the mail. Fortunately I haven't seen much text speak/internet slang in them yet.

Being a dinosaur, I have a mobile phone that I hardly ever use. Just my staff have my number and use it only if there's no other means of communication and they have to get hold of me. They know that I expect a text that I will be able to read. That means a sentence beginning with a capital letter and ending with a full stop and no "text slang". They will get an answer applying those same rules. I am not generally an authoritarian employer, but see this as a mere courtecy.

I have seen the list you linked to, tim. I did smile reading it for it is ingenious in some points, but I can't see it as an enrichment of the language. On the contrary.

(Now I will hide and be ashamed) ;)

Lol.. don't hide Peter... I didn't say I liked it becoming part of our everyday language, just that it is ... and I know some young very tech savvy types who refuse to use slang in their texts (yay!!).  I cringe when I get some e-mail and have to try and figure out what this person wants. I'm not the best with grammar, but I can put in a comma and know periods are helpful, as are capitals at the start of a sentence!!

• Like 2

A myty crechr is the grm,
Tho smlr than a pkydrm.
Hs cstmry dwlng plas
Is dyp w/in the humn ras.
Hs chyldsh pryd he ofn plezs
By gvn ppl strng dzezs.
Do u, my popt, fyl infrm?
U prbly cntan a grm.

Followed Drew's lead in recasting this one by Ogden Nash.

• Like 1

Generally, I don't have much of an issue with text slang. But it depends on what the lingo is: OMG or LOL will not bother me, but something like YOLO will drive me crazy.

But my main concern with text slang, is how much it encourages grammatical errors :pinch: especially among my own generation and those after. For example, Wattpad.com is a site that hosts stories. And the main demographic of the writers are teens and pre-teens. And a lot of the stories on there make me wince. With some of them I ask, "What on earth have you done to the English language?!"

Okay, I give many of those writers some leeway, since many are first-time writers, but still... :/

Yes, I agree Drew. Oh yolo.. yes.. that person really should be tied down and forced to say that a 1000 times.  What's that other one that send's me crazy ... buy one, get one free.. which here anyway is: BOGO   argh. And I'm sorry but this putting together of peoples names.. because they are a couple sends me over the edge too.

OMG if I did that we'd be: tichael  or mimothy

god

• Like 1

Can I go off an brief tangent? (If we go together, it will it be a cotangent?) - I'm going to start working on the Meter 1 Poetry prompt - has anyone got a good example of an anapestic metered poem? Figured I'd ask here first...and no, you cannot tell me to go looking in my fourth period class for any anapests...

• Like 2

Here's an example (poem by Clement Clarke Moore)

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,…
While visions of sugar plums danced in their heads…
had just settled our brains for a long winter‘s nap….
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
when they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky…
with the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 2

Can I go off an brief tangent? (If we go together, it will it be a cotangent?) - I'm going to start working on the Meter 1 Poetry prompt - has anyone got a good example of an anapestic metered poem? Figured I'd ask here first...and no, you cannot tell me to go looking in my fourth period class for any anapests...

oh what the heck is anapestic????   oh i'll google... 

• Like 1

Yeah... I may be twenty and exposed to a whole lot of texts, but this? I have no idea what it's saying.

Its from the charge of the light brigade...

half a league onward, half a league onward half a league onward

all in the valley of death

rode the six hundred 

or something like that

• Like 3

Half a league, half a league,

Half a league onward,

All in the valley of Death

Rode the six hundred.

Beginning of The Charge of the Light Brigade by Afred, Lord Tennyson.

Very good, tim !

close... lol

• Like 1

A myty crechr is the grm,

Tho smlr than a pkydrm.

Hs cstmry dwlng plas

Is dyp w/in the humn ras.

Hs chyldsh pryd he ofn plezs

By gvn ppl strng dzezs.

Do u, my popt, fyl infrm?

U prbly cntan a grm.

Followed Drew's lead in recasting this one by Ogden Nash.

nope too much i cant figure out

Its from the charge of the light brigade...

half a league onward, half a league onward half a league onward

all in the valley of death

rode the six hundred 

or something like that

Oh, you're so good Tim!!!

And now that I am out of hiding, what about this for a text message:

1/2 a leeg (3x) nwrd

al in t vlly f def

rde t 600

And that's a great one to do! (Tennyson texting from the battlefield - now there's a sight!)  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1