' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

How about this?

Whse wds ths r, I dnk;
Hs hse is in th vlg tho
he wn c me stop hyr
2 wtch hs wds fil up w/ sno.

It's very good, Parker! I actually got 'horse' from 'hse' as the first word I felt pretty sure about. That coupled with 'sno' put me in a snowy woods :) 

• Like 1

nope too much i cant figure out

It's "The Germ" :P

A mighty creature is the germ,
Though smaller than a pachyderm.
His customary dwelling place
Is deep within the human race.
His childish pride he often pleases
By giving people strange diseases.
Do you, my poppet, feel infirm?
You probably contain a germ.
Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Like 1

All right, I'm letting my inner geek out :*)

Fr vr th msty mntns cld

T dngns dp nd cvrns ld

W mst wy r brk f dy,

T fnd r lng-frgttn gld.

PS: I just took out the vowels, hope that helps! ;)

I love it, Drew! It's so clever, and I had no clue what it was from :blushing:

Oh, bravo!

Rsz nt 2 rezn y

Rsz bt 2 do or di.

LOL - Tennyson would either laugh with us, or turn around in a huff

• Like 2

It's "The Germ" :P

A mighty creature is the germ,
Though smaller than a pachyderm.
His customary dwelling place
Is deep within the human race.
His childish pride he often pleases
By giving people strange diseases.
Do you, my poppet, feel infirm?
You probably contain a germ.

i got germ and pachyderm....lol  and others but too much was missing   nice one Drew!!

• Like 1

Personally I don't pay attention to form. I like poems that make me feel something.  I've loved every word you've shared here on GA because I feel so many emotions with each line.  I don't care if it didn't match some prescribed form.  If it makes you happy to write, then write it.  I know I cherish anything you've ever shared.  

If it's a discussion about form, I don't really have anything to contribute.  If it's about how a poem made me feel?  I'll be there ;)

Well really it's writers that care about forms of poems.. as a reader we want you to feel something.  I rarely read a poem and think oh that's a particular form, unless I'm studying it.  :read:

• Like 1

While not following the current thread I offer this for your consideration. I shared a version of it in the COT forum on New Year's but have played with it. I have no idea if it fits any style so your thoughts are very welcome. As some of you know I no longer have reliable access to the internet so my presence will be sporadic. It may take some time before I see and respond but I will do so eventually. I never thought I enjoy poetry but you all have woken something in me so I say thank you for that

The plaintive cry of a lone hawk

and the mournful song of a goose

carry on the chill winter wind,

smoke rises from a distant chimney

drifting scenting the frigid air,

the meager sun with its milky light

casts greeting on the new dawn and

so begins this budding new year.

dugh!!  wonderful to see you.  i love the poem.. thanks for sharing it....

• Like 1

While not following the current thread I offer this for your consideration. I shared a version of it in the COT forum on New Year's but have played with it. I have no idea if it fits any style so your thoughts are very welcome. As some of you know I no longer have reliable access to the internet so my presence will be sporadic. It may take some time before I see and respond but I will do so eventually. I never thought I enjoy poetry but you all have woken something in me so I say thank you for that

This is lovely, dugh... I remember it well. I love the feel I get from the use of the two verbs... drifting scenting... the frigid air... that is wonderful and instinctual, and I think your instincts are why we have loved your wonderful status updates. They are always so effortlessly vivid... well done, my friend...

• Like 2

Beautiful imagery, Dugh.  I read this and it takes me back to walks I've taken down country roads on chilly winter days where the snow crunches under your feet.  Thank you for this :hug:

• Like 1

While not following the current thread I offer this for your consideration. I shared a version of it in the COTT forum on New Year's but have played with it since. I have no idea if it fits any style so your thoughts are very welcome. As some of you know I no longer have reliable access to the internet so my presence will be sporadic. It may take some time before I see and respond but I will do so eventually. I never thought I would enjoy poetry but you all have woken something in me so I say thank you for that

This is just my sort of poem: it helps my senses remember sights and sounds and smells. I feel bracing cold, I hear snow scrunch under my feet, I see the air shimmering with condensing crystals, sniff the scent of wood fires...I am transported on the wings of your words, Dugh. This is great stuff.  Thank you for sharing this.

• Like 3

While not following the current thread I offer this for your consideration. I shared a version of it in the COTT forum on New Year's but have played with it since. I have no idea if it fits any style so your thoughts are very welcome. As some of you know I no longer have reliable access to the internet so my presence will be sporadic. It may take some time before I see and respond but I will do so eventually. I never thought I would enjoy poetry but you all have woken something in me so I say thank you for that

Dugh, you always paint such beautiful, vivid images. I close my eyes and see this scene perfectly, and I'm sure I can feel the chill and gear the hawk if I really try.. Wonderful, thanks for sharing it Dugh.. 

• Like 1

I ditto what has already been said Dugh :hug: You have a way with words that leaves me in awe :kiss:

• Like 1

This game is for everyone - not only Parker :)

I don't know, I thought it might be funny and entertaining to 'text message' a well-known poem. In other words, select a text, find the craziest online guide to texting abbreviations and render it here for us. If you are realllllyyy good, we might not be able to figure out the original **//

For example:

"...wr 4 r-t th-ow rmeo...?" 

(lol, this is meant to be fun)

AC, this was really fun to play :) Have you considered posting this as a game in the Games and Humor Forum? It could be expanded to include famous quotes, phrases, and lines from a novel, film, etc.

• Like 3

AC, this was really fun to play :) Have you considered posting this as a game in the Games and Humor Forum? It could be expanded to include famous quotes, phrases, and lines from a novel, film, etc.

Drew, if you wish to carry the concept into the Games Forum, you have my permission and blessing. I'm just glad people liked and participated in my silly notion :yes:  

• Like 3

Drew, if you wish to carry the concept into the Games Forum, you have my permission and blessing. I'm just glad people liked and participated in my silly notion :yes:

It was fun, AC!!  Brilliant idea. 

• Like 2

I posted this (https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39777-poetry-prompt-4-meter-1/page-3#entry591034)  on the Poetry Prompt #4 (Metre 1) thread. Did enough reading to go cross-eyed.

And as a result, this also came to mind...

Just Couldn't Resist

An anapest is rarely best,

an iamb is much nicer.

A trochee? Mustn't use it, lest

you need your dactyl slicer.

I get de-spondee in my car

(it's not a catalexis),

my amphibrach sounds like catarrh,

it gives one catalepsis.

I've spent the day and most the night

with poetry satiric,

I warred with odes most erudite,

but won a vic'try phyrric.

Brilliant, Parker! Sometimes the 'bug' gets to us, and others, we get to it. Well done :worship:

• Like 1

I had the worst kind of dream last night: I drempt I composed a decent poem, and worked out all the rough spots. Then I posted it here, and you were all so kind and offered great feedback.

…wake up… Nothing, nada, nope. No poem, nothing to show for all my hard work except a hollow feeling.

As I say, these are the worst sort of dreams for me :(

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

I had the worst kind of dream last night: I drempt I composed a decent poem, and worked out all the rough spots. Then I posted it here, and you were all so kind and offered great feedback.

…wake up… Nothing, nada, nope. No poem, nothing to show for all my hard work except a hollow feeling.

As I say, these are the worst sort of dreams for me :(

That doesn't sound too nice, AC. Hope you went back to sleep to forget about it...