Reviews and Comments

2 minutes ago, LitLover said:

Unfortunately, some people only leave likes and aren't comfortable leaving comments or reviews  That was me for quite a while before I felt comfortable enough to leave a comment.  If forced, they might just read and leave without leaving a 'like' for the chapter.  

I tend to agree.

Even when I am reading something now I'll often hit the reaction button without commenting to let the author know I liked their work. I'm often eager to get to the next chapter if I'm binging so I don't want to waste time commenting! I know, that's selfish of me.

I will often go back an comment a book after I've read it or if a particular chapter is REALLY good I'll gush on it.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Myr said:

If you want this to be better, set the example yourself.  When you read, make a habit of leaving a reaction and a comment.  I do this on every longer story I read.  Short stories I'll review as they tend to be one shots.  Are you guys doing the same with the stuff you read? 

When I first started GA, no I was lax on doing reviews and comments. I do more now, Reviews for completed stories I read, and depending on the story length, if I comment.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Myr said:

Are you guys doing the same with the stuff you read? 

Comments in on going stories tend to be about the plot, as I often read a few chapters at a time (playing catch up) I will comment after the last one, but read the rest of the comments made previously. I try to make a point of reviewing every story I have read when it is finished and complete.

• Like 2
On 8/29/2017 at 3:22 PM, BHopper2 said:

I'm thinking about asking the GA staff a feature request. No Chapter reactions without a comment. You want to click the like button, well you'll have to leave a comment first. part of me is thinking this would be good, but another is saying it's a very bad idea. Thoughts?

On 8/29/2017 at 3:31 PM, LitLover said:

Unfortunately, some people only leave likes and aren't comfortable leaving comments or reviews  That was me for quite a while before I felt comfortable enough to leave a comment.  If forced, they might just read and leave without leaving a 'like' for the chapter.  

I'm with LL in this.

Also, sometimes I just don't know what to write in a comment, but I want the author to know I've read and enjoyed what they've written. 

And there are times I like to go away and think about what to write as a comment/review, so again, I would leave a reaction and come back later to write something. 

• Like 5
19 hours ago, Myr said:

Are you guys doing the same with the stuff you read? 

Um, mostly.:*)  sort of...

I usually read on my phone or iPad, and I hate typing on a touch screen, so I always say to myself 'I must go back and leave a comment next time I'm on the computer.' Then, of course, I forget, and the next chapter is posted, or someone else writes s comment similar to the one I was planning on writing and so it gets left and forgotten.

I am making an extra effort to go back through the completed stories list and work out some reviews to write. And I am trying to leave comments on new chapters I read, but catching up on older ones may take some time. 

• Like 3

Interesting dilemma. Let's say you came across a story that was horrible. Absolutely Horrible. We've talked about Comments here, and in two other threads, but when the only feedback you can think of is, "You shouldn't be writing," how can you possibly say that to someone?

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Interesting dilemma. Let's say you came across a story that was horrible. Absolutely Horrible. We've talked about Comments here, and in two other threads, but when the only feedback you can think of is, "You shouldn't be writing," how can you possibly say that to someone?

You don't say anything, unless author asks. The lack of likes and comments already give them something to consider.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

as gentle as possible in a PM. public is not the way to go with this kind of comment. i hate pointing out spelling errors in the comments.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

as gentle as possible in a PM. public is not the way to go with this kind of comment. i hate pointing out spelling errors in the comments.

Did I ever say thanks for the ones you pointed out to me? If not, Thanks. :)

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

There's also a tool for an author to consider. Story views. Depending on genre, might not be large base.

If an author starts with a lot of views, and chapters that follow see consistent drop. Sends clue too!

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

as gentle as possible in a PM. public is not the way to go with this kind of comment

26 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

You don't say anything, unless author asks. The lack of likes and comments already give them something to consider.

11 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

Agree with mogwhy that a PM is the way to go.  Also, I don't consider comments like "you shouldn't be writing" to be constructive.  I would point out flaws or errors in the plot, characters, abysmal spelling or whatever to point them in the right direction.  I strongly believe that poor writing can be improved, but only if the writer knows what they are doing wrong and are willing to listen to advice or suggestions.   

8 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

There's also a tool for an author to consider. Story views. Depending on genre, might not be large base.

If an author starts with a lot of views, and chapters that follow see consistent drop. Sends clue too!

I believe you three have right on the money.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...

Some stats for my new story, The Half-Elven Warlock. Story was posted at 1:23 pm on 10/01/2017, and in less than 24 hours and as of 8:25 am 10/2/2017:

Followers: 19

Story Views: 936

Prologue: 291

Chapter 1: 299

Reactions:

Story: 2 (Positive)

Prologue: 5 (Positive)

Chapter 1: 13 (Positive)

Comments:

Story: 0

Prologue: 0

Chapter 1: 10 (5 Reader / 5 mine)

I post this to show the difference in how Genre plays a role in how Readers do reactions and comments. This is something I need to keep in mind, especially when I feel discouraged on my SciFi stories.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:59 PM, William King said:

@BHopper2 You do have a knack for posing interesting questions and this one about poor writing got me thinking. I have come across disastrous writing, I did write a PM trying to be positive - and you can always be positive. For example the ideas might be good, but putting them into good writing is more difficult.

The essential question is how do you improve?

I believe that you improve your writing by reading. However, herein lies another dilemma, because you need to be reading good authors, what I mean is that you might only pick up bad habits if you relied on online stories. Published works by well known authors offer a certain level of quality. Most people of my (older) generation only ever read published books and probably frequented libraries - nothing quite beats the feel and smell of printed works and libraries are castles of the imagination and vaults of all knowledge. I digress, sorry, the point is you improve your writing by reading!

That is definitely how one should improve. And luckily, the classics are available online, too, in this day and age (Project Gutenberg has a vast selection), so it is not that difficult to find good books to read.

• Like 2