Reviews and Comments

I've noticed a trend on comments, and it was on a few that I looked at. I'll use my stories as an illustration. It's not just how well your story is, or if someone finds it ok enough to write a comment, BUT the Type of story seems to matter as well. For Example:

In 24-48 hours, my story called A New Life and a New Home gained over 23 reactions, and 4 user comments. It is a Drama/Romance story about 2 teens, and no sex.

In 24 hours a new chapter in Aeris - Guardian Force has gotten 10 reactions and no comments. This is the 11th chapter (Prologue + 10 chapters) in this story. Aeris is a SciFi story and has two other companion pieces which are stand-alone.

I forget how many Views the first story got, I think around 500, in that same window, but the new chapter has just over 180 views as of this posting.

So it seems, that not only if the commenter feels your story is worthy of a comment, but what type of story it is as well. I remember commenting on this, in a Group PM, back when I posted New Life/New Home. But, it's something others have noticed as well.

• Like 4

Statistics and feedback are the nice things to have. Feedback is provided for, statistics are not. There are no graphs of chapter views, likes, comments. You can get an idea of how many people read a story by the lowest number of chapter views and deduct say 10%. 

The feedback (for me) which is most important is a proper review of a completed book. A proper review? By this I mean something along the lines of the author on author critiques started by Renee. Not - I really liked this story - that is a comment, not a review. The star rating is not needed, it does nothing to enhance a review, imo. 

Chapter comments are really good when the story is being published, afterwards, when it's been around awhile, I don't think they do anything other than show you the book is being read. I actually prefer other sites where comments get emailed to you, because there you can engage in a one to one discussion.

I doubt you can satisfy everybody but if you do decide to make further improvements, then for me it would be statistics, however approximate. It would be great to see the best sellers, most popular in different genres, short, long stories, what's on the up, golden oldies, you get the picture.

Having said all this, things are fine as they are, I know it is much easier to talk about improvements than to actually have to do the complicated work involved in realising them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Angry 2

I'm thinking about asking the GA staff a feature request. No Chapter reactions without a comment. You want to click the like button, well you'll have to leave a comment first. part of me is thinking this would be good, but another is saying it's a very bad idea. Thoughts?

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I'm thinking about asking the GA staff a feature request. No Chapter reactions without a comment. You want to click the like button, well you'll have to leave a comment first. part of me is thinking this would be good, but another is saying it's a very bad idea. Thoughts?

Unfortunately, some people only leave likes and aren't comfortable leaving comments or reviews  That was me for quite a while before I felt comfortable enough to leave a comment.  If forced, they might just read and leave without leaving a 'like' for the chapter.  

• Like 4