1 minute ago, Timothy M. said:

I have absolutely no solution to offer. It would scare me too. :o 

Good luck with fighting back or going with the flow, whatever you decide.

Thanks - although I distinctly remember mentioning cake 🤔 

• Haha 3
Just now, Ivor Slipper said:

Angel cake?

Any!  I’m not picky.    Although nothing with nuts in.  Particularly coconut.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Sam Wyer said:

Any!  I’m not picky.    Although nothing with nuts in.  Particularly coconut.

You're not prepared to 'picky' the nuts out?

Mind you, I don't like coconut either. Couldn't stand those Bounty bars :)

• Haha 3
  • Site Administrator

I'll bring cheesecake :D  🍰 

I like the term for what you describe... sometimes stories have a way of creeping up on us.  Ultimately, you have to decide what's best for the story.  If it's shouting in your head and makes sense to incorporate it into your current story, then go for it.  If it's going to be more of a hassle than what it's worth, then stick to your original plan.  

I recently wrote a prompt response that I never posted because I turned it into a ten chapter novella.  The characters spoke to me loudly, demanding to be given release.  So I listened.  

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I'll bring cheesecake :D  🍰 

I like the term for what you describe... sometimes stories have a way of creeping up on us.  Ultimately, you have to decide what's best for the story.  If it's shouting in your head and makes sense to incorporate it into your current story, then go for it.  If it's going to be more of a hassle than what it's worth, then stick to your original plan.  

I recently wrote a prompt response that I never posted because I turned it into a ten chapter novella.  The characters spoke to me loudly, demanding to be given release.  So I listened.  

Good call on the cheesecake.  I knew we could be friends :) 

I suspect you’re right, and I just have to figure out which is best.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Hey, Sam. It sounds like you need a hug to go with that cake. Don't worry... I'll control myself... for now. :P My two cents is, don't stifle what wants to come out. Like @Valkyrie, I started out writing an anthology piece I expected would be around 5000 words. That plan got blown up after the first few paragraphs, and the piece turned into Treading Water, a 50, 000 word story that is one of my favorites. I've never regretted it, and I suspect you wouldn't either. It taught me to go with the strongest voices in my head, and if I hadn't have learned that, Morningstar: The Malaise may never have happened. So, in summation, I say go for it! Aw hell... sue me... :hug: 

Thanks - I hadn’t thought of it as stifling what wants to come out.  And I’m feeling unusually resilient of late, so I guess I’ll let the h** go, just as long as you don’t go around telling everyone :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I worked with Sasha Distan for a long while before his plans for children derailed writing time.  He is very much a "write who is shouting the loudest" sort of author, and when he tried telling the voices to hush while he wrote other stuff, both works suffered.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Kitt said:

I worked with Sasha Distan for a long while before his plans for children derailed writing time.  He is very much a "write who is shouting the loudest" sort of author, and when he tried telling the voices to hush while he wrote other stuff, both works suffered.

I’m not sure if this is what you meant or not - but maybe I should spend some time on the ‘other’ story, in it’s own context and not hijacking some happy elves?

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, Sam Wyer said:

I’m not sure if this is what you meant or not - but maybe I should spend some time on the ‘other’ story, in it’s own context and not hijacking some happy elves?

Perhaps to find the answer to your problem you need to use Tliggonometry :heart:

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
26 minutes ago, Ivor Slipper said:

Perhaps to find the answer to your problem you need to use Tliggonometry :heart:

That's just.... I don't have the words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Ivor Slipper said:

Is that a sort of Abba-dabba-do joke?

Nope, it's a Scandinavian comic joke. You need to read the SATW comic from the beginning to get an idea of how we see each other and the rest of the world.

• Like 3

You've gotten some good advice here.  When an old idea starts starts seeping around the edges of something that you are working on, it usually means that it is ready to be written.  I would go for it.

• Like 5

You think too highly of yourself. You think you are in control here. You’re not. 

Your characters are.

They want to tell their story their way. You only serve to channel them and put them to paper. You’re only the author. They’re the people in your head trying to get out!

Set them FREE!

:lugh:

• Like 1