A Thesaurus for Sex?

My fellow writers...

I'm looking for either an online Thesaurus or just suggestions of what people use when it comes to describing sex. From sex acts to sexual aids, looking for more "classy" words for somethings.

For Example:

I recently use the term "Cum Rag" in a story, after about an hour looking for some alternate way to describe it, without it sounding stupid. I really hate some of those "flowery" descriptions, like "He slid his sword into her sheath." That's stupid sounding.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
19 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

"He slid his sword into her sheath." That's stupid sounding.

Omg that’s hilarious and in my opinion sounds almost worse than just saying penis, like he’s trying to murder her with his man sword 😂😂😂

As for words to use I just start getting creative and making stuff up in the moment. I’m going to dig some up and paste them here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Pmsingtiger said:

Omg that’s hilarious and in my opinion sounds almost worse than just saying penis, like he’s trying to murder her with his man sword 😂😂😂

As for words to use I just start getting creative and making stuff up in the moment. I’m going to dig some up and paste them here. 

A lady friend of mine went on a three-day rant about "sword in sheath" after reading it in a romance novel. Just mentioning it, would set her off. I've heard some pretty bizarre sayings when people were trying to not be too vulgar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, BHopper2 said:

A lady friend of mine went on a three-day rant about "sword in sheath" after reading it in a romance novel. Just mentioning it, would set her off. I've heard some pretty bizarre sayings when people were trying to not be too vulgar.

I used to read these old-time historical romance novels and the things I would read, "He rubbed her delicate rose petals" 🤣🤣 Or "Her essence flowed freely over her pearl" I can't I'm laughing so hard right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
6 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Thanks, tim!

There's a link in that article to writing sex scenes ... if you want to look at it  .. i mostly kept it for the list of words

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3

I think it's best to write a sex scene as raw and honest as possible. This keeps it real without resorting to silly metaphors. And it can be achieved without having to resort to pure vulgarity. For instance, instead of using the term "cum rag" you can have the character wipe the semen with a nearby towel or t-shirt. Or maybe his lover licks him dry... Depending on the moment and the scene, pure vulgarity may be the most honest way to portray it. Personally, I'd prefer to read it the way the characters are feeling and experiencing it. I agree that using metaphors to describe anatomy and actions can turn a hot scene into a raucous comedy within about two seconds. Sheaths and swords - AGH!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

I think it's best to write a sex scene as raw and honest as possible. This keeps it real without resorting to silly metaphors. And it can be achieved without having to resort to pure vulgarity. For instance, instead of using the term "cum rag" you can have the character wipe the semen with a nearby towel or t-shirt. Or maybe his lover licks him dry... Depending on the moment and the scene, pure vulgarity may be the most honest way to portray it. Personally, I'd prefer to read it the way the characters are feeling and experiencing it. I agree that using metaphors to describe anatomy and actions can turn a hot scene into a raucous comedy within about two seconds. Sheaths and swords - AGH!

Totally agree with you. In this scene, it's for the second chapter of TC3, and Rob and Jer are in Jer's bedroom in his old house, getting it cleaned up and packed. Rob's helping, reaches under the bed, and  grabs said "cum rag." Start bonding scene of two teenage boys as family/brothers. For the life of me, I couldn't find a term or phrase it a different way than straight on what he stuck his hand in.

16 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

You could also read @AC Benus' work. Cuz AC writes soo very well, and @MacGreg too ... their work could offer some direction in that department.

I love both of their works, and I need to move them up on the "to be read" list. Especially with me starting Uni. on 08/10/2018.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Oh, I don't hold a candle to AC's work...

You're still a very good writer, Sir, and well some of the sex scenes you've written are very good.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Totally agree with you. In this scene, it's for the second chapter of TC3, and Rob and Jer are in Jer's bedroom in his old house, getting it cleaned up and packed. Rob's helping, reaches under the bed, and  grabs said "cum rag." Start bonding scene of two teenage boys as family/brothers. For the life of me, I couldn't find a term or phrase it a different way than straight on what he stuck his hand in.

Teenagers? By all means, use cum rag. That's exactly what Rob would call it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Oh, I don't hold a candle to AC's work...

Tim was talking about my XXX series specificially, which I think pretty much follows your raw and in the moment guidelines above :) 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

In this case, "crusty kleenex" does it for me  - I hope they laugh about it together :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

In this case, "crusty kleenex" does it for me  - I hope they laugh about it together :yes:

squirms squeamishly   lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

I hope they laugh about it together :yes:

Here's most of that scene, this is an unedited version, as it's with Kitt now, and it's reworked after tim's "You can write it better than this," PM.

Just a bit of Background, in Chapter 1, Jeremy comes out as Asexual (maybe), and recently lost his parents, and is now living with his Uncle, his Uncle's Husband, and his son. Rob is a few months after his mom died.

A minor embarrassment occurred when Rob stumbled upon Jeremy’s cum rag, an old Bank of America golf towel, under the bed. They shared a laugh, Rob washed his hands, as Jeremy tossed the towel in a dirty clothes pile of stuff he was keeping, and went back to work with Robert in the closet and Jeremy on the bookcase near his bed.

There were several boxes full of comics, books, DVDs, and assorted other collectible things in the top of the closet in old Playstation and Xbox boxes, to several smaller shoe boxes. Rob would open each one, to ask if Jer would want to the items contained. He opened one of the shoe boxes and stopped. “Um cuz…”

“Yeah?” Jeremy turned and his face went beet red, noticing the box Rob held. “Ahh… Too late, I should have warned you. My bad…” His voice squeaked with embarrassment.

“Heh… so this is how you were making deposits on that bank towel.”

“Rob! Please, I’m embarrassed enough already.” He chuckled, acting shy. “Oh, my God… did you really have to say, deposits.”

“Hey… You’re the one that’s collecting interest on it, not me. How did you get two dildos, a Fleshlight, and a cock-ring?” Rob closed the box and sat it with the ‘keep’ pile. Got him to laugh some, Jer hasn’t done that in days.

“Mom and dad would pay me my allowance on a pre-paid debit card from Amscot. I still have the card, and it’s in my name. So, I would order them off of Adammale.com and had them shipped. They used to work outside the house during the day, so I was able to grab the boxes.” He grinned mischievously and chuckled a little. “Just because I haven’t found anyone I’m attracted too, doesn’t mean I don’t jack-off.”

“Well, I kinda put my hand on your crusty proof.” He laughed. “Just teasing ya, cuz.”

“Fuck man, yeah I know. You’re not going to ever let me live that down are you?” Jer gave off a nervous chuckle.

“No, I am not. Not at all… It’s too funny you use a small towel with a bank logo to clean up with.” Rob laughed and came over to give Jer a squeeze on the shoulder.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
39 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Teenagers? By all means, use cum rag. That's exactly what Rob would call it.

26 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

squirms squeamishly   lol

and this is why i don't clean the boys' bathroom or do their laundry

if you're writing it and it makes you want to gag, or giggle, then you could probably find other descriptors

but there are so many resources right here at GA(AC, MacGreg Sir, tim to name just a few) that it shouldn't be a problem to find  other way to say 

"they boffed their brains out"

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

LOL. My mom stopped when I was around 14.

6 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

if you're writing it and it makes you want to gag, or giggle, then you could probably find other descriptors

but there are so many resources right here at GA(AC, MacGreg Sir, tim to name just a few) that it shouldn't be a problem to find  other way to say 

"they boffed their brains out"

Very true. I've been reading over that link tim shared, and the link on it to the sex scene one too.

• Like 2

Oh gawsh I can't even read this thread without blushing and going all judge judy in the face. XD
Either I'll be waaay too shy about it and it'll be a cluster of silly metaphors or I'll just go all the way and write something so filthy a shower doesn't quite make me feel clean. :P

• Haha 3

Hehehe, yeah, there are a lot of phrases and descriptions that can make you feel silly writing them out. Unfortunately, sometimes...a 'cum rg' is just a 'cum rag', plain and simple. Don't feel bad about it if that's how you describe it. It is what it is. However, if you really want to avoid using that term, there are a million ways of being vague enough to say that without saying it. Depending on the scene that you've built surrounding the ejaculation, your audience will get the idea.

If you have someone jacking off, and then he orgasms, and there's a mess to clean up...you don't have to use the term 'cum rag'. You can just say, "I used my usual rag to clean up." (Which means 'cum rag', in a roundabout way') Or you can say, "I exploded into the sock I kept under the bed." Same thing. Or, "Just before I erupted, I grabbed a few tissues from the box next to my bed..." and the idea is implied without having to say anything dirty (or cheesy).

Finding ways around it takes a lot of practice, but sometimes you can use the scene itself and other descriptions to take some of the 'umph' out of the naughty words you might need to use later on. 

• Like 2
On 7/30/2018 at 9:17 PM, mollyhousemouse said:

I had to teach my kid brother-in-law how to do his own laundry after he woke me up at 5:00a.m. last summer, trying to change the sheets. :lol: Ah, well. One more step towards independence for him.

But anyway, I try to be as frank and direct as possible when I write things. Admittedly, I don't write sex scenes very often, because I aim to write for a larger, open market of teens and tweens. :) For stories I want to put on GA, I might use slang sometimes, if I'm writing a conversation between two (or more) teens. Otherwise, I stick to using proper anatomy terms for the most part, whether I'm writing about teens, adults, or aliens in zero gravity. (Try figuring that one out.)

Also, @BHopper2 I found a book on Amazon titled The SEXaurus: Sexy Words for Writers, by Stefanie Olsen. Or, you might look for: Naughty Words for Nice Writers: A Romance Novel Thesaurus, by Cara Bristol.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

Also, @BHopper2 I found a book on Amazon titled The SEXaurus: Sexy Words for Writers, by Stefanie Olsen. Or, you might look for: Naughty Words for Nice Writers: A Romance Novel Thesaurus, by Cara Bristol.

I will need to look these up. LOL. Thanks.

• Like 1