Do You have a World?

I have a number of 'worlds' going on! Hehehe! Cool idea! However, some of them are going through some rewrites and getting new updates in a few weeks. (Kind of like the "Gone From Daylight" content back in April) So I'll be sure to check things out when I get everything in order.

The current project is adding to and touching up all of the prequels to the zombie apocalypse story, "Shelter"! They'll be up soon! :P 

• Like 3

If I have a series of stories that start in this world, than move to another, can I use this feature?  Also, if it is a series, and not a lot of different stand alones would that still be appropriate?

• Like 1

No, I don't tie my stories together into a single place or time, like the "Comsie-verse". Or Mark A. Roeder's novels (non-GA) which seem to be centered around a particular small town in Indiana. Some characters which appear in Roeder's books as teens recur in later volumes, as adults or even ghosts. Truth be told, I personally think that would get a little dull after a while, never mind confusing to keep track of without extensive notes. But, if someone finds a way to make it work, Kudos to them.  :)

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
19 hours ago, CassieQ said:

If I have a series of stories that start in this world, than move to another, can I use this feature?  Also, if it is a series, and not a lot of different stand alones would that still be appropriate? 

I'm not sure what you mean here.  I'm interpreting it to mean:  I'm on planet earth and I'm going to another planet.  This is not the purpose of the World Feature.

If you have a single series of stories and no stand-alone stories that are tied to that series, then, no, you do not need Worlds.

The best example we have right now is Marvel Comics.  The movies that have been bombarding the pop culture for the last 10+ years are in the World "Marvel Cinematic Universe".  There are series in this world like Iron Man 1, 2 and 3 as well as Captain America 1,2 and 3.  There are stand-alone movies, like Spider-Man Homecoming, Black Panther, and Dr. Strange.  All of these movies co-exist in a common space.  The software on the site calls this a "World"

A series is just a mini-world where the shared space occurs across 1 set of stories.  If all you have is 1 series and nothing else tied to it, then don't make a World.  It would be redundant.  (It also won't show up since World's require at least 2 series or 2 stories or a series and a story to show up in the listings)

In my own example, Psionic Corp, I have multiple Anthology short stories that occur in the same world.  https://www.gayauthors.org/stories/browse/world/psionic-corp/

Does that help?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Myr said:

I'm not sure what you mean here.  I'm interpreting it to mean:  I'm on planet earth and I'm going to another planet.  This is not the purpose of the World Feature.

If you have a single series of stories and no stand-alone stories that are tied to that series, then, no, you do not need Worlds.

The best example we have right now is Marvel Comics.  The movies that have been bombarding the pop culture for the last 10+ years are in the World "Marvel Cinematic Universe".  There are series in this world like Iron Man 1, 2 and 3 as well as Captain America 1,2 and 3.  There are stand-alone movies, like Spider-Man Homecoming, Black Panther, and Dr. Strange.  All of these movies co-exist in a common space.  The software on the site calls this a "World"

A series is just a mini-world where the shared space occurs across 1 set of stories.  If all you have is 1 series and nothing else tied to it, then don't make a World.  It would be redundant.  (It also won't show up since World's require at least 2 series or 2 stories or a series and a story to show up in the listings)

In my own example, Psionic Corp, I have multiple Anthology short stories that occur in the same world.  https://www.gayauthors.org/stories/browse/world/psionic-corp/

Does that help?

I'm sorry if my question was confusing, but you answered it perfectly.  Thank you. 

• Like 2

I have two worlds. I shall create them now.

Commander! Prepare the Gravitization Grid!

But, Sir! We don’t know how to use the Gravitization Grid World Feature!

Help us @Myr you are our only hope!

——-

Tried to add a story to a world but it told me I didn’t have permissions to add the story to this world. I don’t even have a world set up yet. I’m being blond again. Help?

Edited by MrM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, MrM said:

I have two worlds. I shall create them now.

Commander! Prepare the Gravitization Grid!

But, Sir! We don’t know how to use the Gravitization Grid World Feature!

Help us @Myr you are our only hope!

——-

Tried to add a story to a world but it told me I didn’t have permissions to add the story to this world. I don’t even have a world set up yet. I’m being blond again. Help? 

Go to the link "My Worlds" on the drop-down for My Stories on the Stories page. And create the world. Then you can add stories and series.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Go to the link "My Worlds" on the drop-down for My Stories on the Stories page. And create the world. Then you can add stories and series.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Love 1

Another question: if two authors are collaborating on stories in the same world can a world be shared and is this why there’s a Contributors selector in the World editor?

Thanks for answering my dumb-a$$ questions. :)

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, MrM said:

Another question: if two authors are collaborating on stories in the same world can a world be shared and is this why there’s a Contributors selector in the World editor?

Thanks for answering my dumb-a$$ questions. :)

I assume you can, but what I gathered from @Myr's other posts, the Contributors field is for you to list other Authors who write stories in your world, under their own name, and in their portfolio.

EDIT: This then allows for them to add their stories to your world.

Edited by BHopper2
Even with Grammarly and Autocorrect, the Typodemon strikes.
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

Adding a contributor allows you to add the contributor's stories to your world.  The Author owns their world and controls what gets added.  There are some additional controls coming for that.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Myr said:

Adding a contributor allows you to add the contributor's stories to your world.  The Author owns their world and controls what gets added.  There are some additional controls coming for that.

Thank you, Your Myrgnificence!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...

Interstellar Alliance

Forty core systems.

Two-hundred sixty protectorates, colonies, outposts, etc.

Thousands of systems inside the ever expanding border.

Government: Parliamentary democracy with an executive directorate selected from the senate by members of the house. Chairman/Vice chairman rotates every two years.

Parliament consists of two senators and a number of representatives selected by population per world. 

Full Alliance member status is based on several criteria which are sometimes gamed for political and economic reasons. There are a number of worlds on the cusp of full Alliance membership and are being stalled. The latest excuse is the war. 

Key Ministries:

Ministry of Justice

Ministry of Education

Ministry of Colonization

Ministry of Defense

Capital: Parliament- built in a empty system to provide a neutral site for Alliance wide government.

Worlds of the Alliance

Evergreen- Located 80 light years from earth, Evergreen is one of the oldest colonies. Evergreen is roughly similar to Earth in the Cretaceous period.  It is slightly larger than Earth with a 1.1 gravity. As it's primary stars are a close binary, it's orbit is quite large giving Evergreen an orbital period of 1282.6 days.  

Evergreen was colonized before the Alliance knew enough about the planet. Colonists suffered from several outbreaks and severely hostile fauna. It's taken a long time to tame the planet and parts of it are still deadly and wild.

Vega- the Vega system is a dusty mining world in the system of the same name. While it's rich, it is deadly because of the harsh environment. Intense radiation in the system requires Vegans to have the genes enhanced to survive. You can get rich there but living there sucks. Underground cities just aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Parliament- Is a domed complex built on a world no one wanted. It's one selling point is its location making it convenient to most of the core worlds.

New Turin- is a terraformed planet in the Scorpius cluster. It's warm, dry climate reminds many people of old Italy.

Lone Star- Almost a super-earth, Lone Star is the largest planet humans live on- but, with 1.25G, heavy-world genetic enhancement is necessary to thrive. It's huge and still has quite a lot of wild areas. It has been terraformed and its flora and fauna is still establishing itself.

Capella- This planet-less system is devoted to the needs of the Alliance Fleet. It has a huge anchorage, fleet academy and shipyards. 

Pacifica- this distant ocean world was a very attractive colony based in a new and rich sector that had only recently been opened due to the discovery of the Eta Ceti corridor. This planet and several others were invaded and purged of all life by a mysterious machine race.

Obviously there's lots more to it. But just the outline and a few facts can give you a framework to build on. 

Of course you will have to add detail and "color" as the worlds come into focus but- that's the fun of it and... lotsa work!

Edited by jamessavik
  • Love 2