Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Who is Your Favorite Gay Icon?

Aceinthehole

1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

There are all the well known personalities people have mentioned. But i learned that it's really okay to be who i am from my first boyfriend and Husband, @MichaelS36. And the man who has taught me more about writing, poetry, queer history and acceptance is a phenomenal writer here on GA.  He posts often about Gay History, our words, our poetry, music and theatre.. and that is @AC Benus . Thanks AC, for all you share and do.

@Thorn Wilde i know who Quinton Crisp was and the films are terrific.. thanks for mentioning him, brought back some memories.

That was so sweet! Always inspiring to see. Also love the recognition of writers on this site! 

5 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Lady Gaga, and her inspiration Freddie Mercury.

Lady Gaga has an absolutely beautiful voice. IMO she's one of the best modern day singers.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Brian Kenny from QAF? (the American one)

I don't really know. I've yet to meet one.

The film and TV versions of gay people are usually silly and weak. 

Comic relief. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2018 at 10:07 PM, Wesley8890 said:

This was actually the first time I've admitted to liking to wear makeup 💄

The mascara isn’t considered makeup?  ;–)

In addition to most of them names mentioned above, I’d add Neil Tennant, Holly Johnson, Tom ‘Glad to be Gay’ Robinson, Sylvester, Jill Sobule, kd lang, and Melissa Etheridge.

And honorary members of the LGBTQ family including Annie Lennox, Billy Bragg*, and Madonna.

And then there are all the LGBTQ movie & TV directors and LGBTQ writers…

* How many other straight guys wrote and sang lyrics like this in the early ‘90s?

Trust
🎶

He's already been inside me
And he really didn't say
And I really didn't ask him
I just hoped and prayed

And I really don't feel well
I keep looking in the mirror
But it's hard to tell

Will he stay by me and take my hand
And hold me till I sleep
Or will he crumble and fall to the floor
And weep
Oh feeble man, oh evil man

Would he have told me if he cared?
I know I ought to find out
But I'm much too scared

And I know it can't be good
Nothing feels
The way it should

Will he hold me in his arms again
And wipe away my tears
Or has he already taken
My best years
Oh evil man, oh feeble man

🎶

Edited by Former Member

4 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Don't know if he's actually an icon, but Rob Halford of Judas Priest probably at least made a few machismo metal fans a bit less homophobic when he came out. Of course, how anyone could have missed the fact that he was gay, given his dress style and songs like Hellbent for Leather and Turbo Lover, is utterly beyond me.

Back in the ‘70s, I had no clue that Freddie Mercury was Gay even though his group was named Queen. Of course, I was still in high school and still in the closet at the time. I didn’t realize that his mustache was part of the Castro Clone look. I had no idea what Queen implied.  ;–)

I'm loving ALL of this. Especially the Freddie love (although I confess to being a raging Brian May fan, myself, appropos of nothing).

I have to add Justin Tranter, formerly of Semi-Precious Weapons and currently one of the top bitches of the songwriting business (accorded the title by RuPaul himself). Tranter's first really big moment from the writing room was his contribution to the Fall Out Boy song "Centuries:" he wrote the chorus. The chorus that goes "you'll remember me for centuries," to the tune of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" and in the words of Marsha P. Johnson -- who originally said them to a camera. Probably 99.98% of the people who know that song do NOT know of Marsha P. Johnson, let alone the debt the queer world owes her. But Justin Tranter is sly, and is committed to bringing queer thoughts into the mainstream. And I love him for that, even if I don't give a crap about Fall Out Boy. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 2

33 minutes ago, Saraband said:

Probably 99.98% of the people who know that song do NOT know of Marsha P. Johnson, let alone the debt the queer world owes her.

There are two documentaries about Marsha P Johnson. Pay It No Mind – The Life and Times of Marsha P Johnson (2012) and The Death and Life of Marsha P Johnson (2017). The newer one follows a Transwoman as she investigates Johnson’s murder.

16 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

There are two documentaries about Marsha P Johnson. Pay It No Mind – The Life and Times of Marsha P Johnson (2012) and The Death and Life of Marsha P Johnson (2017). The newer one follows a Transwoman as she investigates Johnson’s murder.

At least one of those doco's contains the footage wherein Marsha says the words :). I don't remember which; I've only seen part of each one. (I may be a terrible person -- especially as a historian -- but I really can't watch documentaries for fun.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Saraband said:

…as a historian…

Since I’m not a historian, I watch them for educational or entertainment purposes. KQED (San Francisco’s PBS station) broadcasted many documentaries that explained LGBT history to me. Frameline, the San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival, has shown me even more and in a much wider variety than KQED ever did. I’ve learned about all sorts of segments of our community that I didn’t know anything about. Many have been from countries not usually seen in the LGBTQ context (except, in some cases, as a place to visit on vacation). In the last couple years, I’ve seen documentaries from Waziristan in Pakistan, Jamaica, Japan, and the Kingdom of Tonga – even one mostly filmed in the foreign (to me!) land of Atlanta! Over the years, I’ve seen many movies about the experiences of Trans people. A year or two ago, there were several about the legalization of Gays in the UK more than 50 years ago. I learned a whole lot more about the four Lesbians who were elected to California’s Assembly, paving the way for the Gay men and other Lesbians who followed in their footsteps!

One lesson I learned from all of those documentaries (and fictionalized historical narratives) was that Trans People, People of Color, women, and effeminate Gay men were often fighting for our rights while less obviously Gay men ‘passed’ while hiding in the closet. We need to acknowledge our actual history, not just the whitewashed version that some try to pass off as accurate. I appreciate what our forerunners did to make my life easier and safer. We need to pay it forward!

Ooh, thanks for mentioning Marsha P Johnson, @Saraband! You're right, so many forget about her. They also forget that Stonewall was a riot.

Also, as far as Queen goes, I've always had a soft spot for John Deacon. He was the prettiest one. Also, bass players are awesome.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/5/2018 at 5:10 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Larry Kramer.

From writing Faggots and The Normal Heart, to pro GLBT and HIV+ activism, he's done it all. Talented, opinionated, and passionate, the man has done as much for his community as anyone else I've heard of.

In the role of angry old man, San Francisco has Cleve Jones…  ;–)

And then there’s Armistead Maupin, author of the Tales of the City series. A man who gentle humor became a must-read when his stories were serialized in the local newspaper beginning in the ‘70s. The fist book was turned into a miniseries that was, at the time, PBS’s most watched miniseries ever. It also became the target of venom and vitriol in Congress, being an early excuse to cutoff funding for PBS. The second and third books were also turned into miniseries and were shown on Showtime. Netflix is set to premiere a ten episode continuation of the series in 2019 with Laura Linney, Olympia Dukakis, and Barbara Garrick returning – Ellen Page will play a grownup Shawna! The book series one of the 100 best novels on PBS’s The Great American Read.

Edited by Former Member

1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

In the role of angry old man, San Francisco has Cleve Jones

Never met Cleve, but have read some about him, and heard plenty of stories from people associated with the Names Project when I worked on a few Quilt displays in South Florida. I honored his legacy by having the main character of my series arrange for a few panels to be displayed at his school. A little history for the youngsters who didn't live through the holocaust.

1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

And then there’s Armistead Maupin

Love him. Somebody gave me the first book as a Christmas present years ago; I devoured the others within a month. I shared a link to that same series of mine with the president of Washington's gay rugby club when I decided to include the Scandals in my story. He paid me the hugest compliment when he said my amateurish attempt reminded him of Tales of the City.

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1