The Drop in Centre

1 hour ago, rickproehl said:

Kitt you forgot 1 thing the small round silver button for the bright headlights on the floor board by the brake pedal. ... 

Get out of my brain rick!  You beat me to the punch with that post.  I hate that your day started out so crappy, but I hope that it's gotten better. Oh and @Kitt, if we want to go back in time, how about manual chokes and 3 on the tree? LOL.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, spyke said:

Get out of my brain rick!  You beat me to the punch with that post.  I hate that your day started out so crappy, but I hope that it's gotten better. Oh and @Kitt, if we want to go back in time, how about manual chokes and 3 on the tree? LOL.

Dad had a 3 on the tree. Mine was 4 on the floor. How many kids today even know what that 3rd pedal is for?

• Haha 5
17 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Awww ... flashes from the past in here.  :D  

i got asked out via chat by a nice 19 year old girl... she said, "would you date me after the pandemic?"

I thought.. omg what do i say to that??  I didn't want to hurt her feelings. So i said, "You know, i'm not sure what my husband would say, but you really made me smile!!  Thank you!"

She said, "aww, okay. well thanks for everything. you were great."

i said, " I enjoyed our chat too. Take care and dont worry, you'll meet a great guy!"

that was very nice today.  :) 

Just proves what we all know. tim is a nice guy.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Awww ... flashes from the past in here.  :D  

i got asked out via chat by a nice 19 year old girl... she said, "would you date me after the pandemic?"

I thought.. omg what do i say to that??  I didn't want to hurt her feelings. So i said, "You know, i'm not sure what my husband would say, but you really made me smile!!  Thank you!"

She said, "aww, okay. well thanks for everything. you were great."

i said, " I enjoyed our chat too. Take care and dont worry, you'll meet a great guy!"

that was very nice today.  :) 

Awwwww....you are a sweet guy tim. Perfect answer! 

• Love 4
  • Site Moderator
22 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Having a panic attack tonight -- election stress (even though I'm trying to limit news intake), worries over Little Man, and our 2nd counseling session is tonight in about 45-min.

:hug: 

Hang in there, Fae. 

• Like 4

OK DICers, I need a little advice.

My son gets anxious when he has to do something that he's not comfortable with. For example, he has his learner's permit and was eligible to get his driver's license back in ....you guessed it, March. Of course everything got shut down.  Now that he's working and they are doing tests by appointments only, I've asked him to call and see if he can get an appointment. I'd really like him to do it as he needs to learn how to do these things on his own. He keeps putting it off because he's scared to make a phone call. Any tips on what I can do to help him get over this? Because of my work schedule I'm not home when the DMV is open, nor is my husband, otherwise we could be there with him when he calls to make sure he asks the right questions. 

If I call for him it negates the whole teaching him independence thing. I love my son, but I really don't want him living with us until he's in his 40s and we're ready for a nursing home. Also picking him up at 11-1130pm really sucks. 

So any suggestions would be appreciated! 

Also.....have a good Friday!

• Like 4

@kbois try helping him script it out, writing out those things he should ask. maybe have him practice, roll play it with him. then give him a token, something he can hold on to physically, that can connect him to you. we used to do this with a thimble. it's what Wendy gave Peter calling it a kiss.

good luck mama!

• Love 5

My daughter was very similar at his age. Sit down and explain quietly that you not only cannot do this for him, you will not.

Then ask what would make it easier for him. Maybe the list of points to cover, something of yours with him as Molly suggested. Worst case with my girl she made the call from the house phone with me on the cells coaching. It does get better, honest!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kbois said:

OK DICers, I need a little advice.

My son gets anxious when he has to do something that he's not comfortable with. For example, he has his learner's permit and was eligible to get his driver's license back in ....you guessed it, March. Of course everything got shut down.  Now that he's working and they are doing tests by appointments only, I've asked him to call and see if he can get an appointment. I'd really like him to do it as he needs to learn how to do these things on his own. He keeps putting it off because he's scared to make a phone call. Any tips on what I can do to help him get over this? Because of my work schedule I'm not home when the DMV is open, nor is my husband, otherwise we could be there with him when he calls to make sure he asks the right questions. 

If I call for him it negates the whole teaching him independence thing. I love my son, but I really don't want him living with us until he's in his 40s and we're ready for a nursing home. Also picking him up at 11-1130pm really sucks. 

So any suggestions would be appreciated! 

Also.....have a good Friday!

Yeah ... lots of people are nervous about calling. The thing to remember is the person on the other end actually does want to help you. You can tell them you are an anxious person and nervous about calling. Most people who work on the phone will understand.

You should have a list of things you need to do and want to do.  You can tell them, i have a few questions, or i am calling to make an appointment please. And believe me, most CSRs have a way of doing this stuff. Once you tell them what you want, most are happy to take over and take the lead.  Just keep your notes nearby and if you need a minute to record something, say. Thank you just a second while i make a note.

The reps are people, most want to help you and will.

• Love 4

@kbois you could script it out and role play by having him make practice calls (to you) when you are home.  You go into another room in the house and act like you're the CSR and have him call you. Change your voice up when you answer the phone (I know it will throw him off, but that's the point) and run through the routine a few times.  Change up your voice each time, so that he doesn't get "comfortable" with a particular voice.  The more he does it, the easier it will get. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

The reps are people, most want to help you and will.

Unfortunately it is usually the nervous ones who will find the unhelpful CSR, making them even more nervous next time.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

@kbois, I’m late to the party, so what I would have thought of has already been said. I know for myself having everything I need to ask written down and familiarized with is a must, because, dollars to doughnuts, I will forget something important if I don’t write it down.

Anticipating the questions they might ask is also helpful, so answers are at the ready. 

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..