Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

2 hours ago, Marty said:

And it looks like you need to study the instructions as to how to wear your Personal Protective Equipment correctly. :P

(It's not meant to be used a face mask, you know?) ;) 

Hey, Marty. :hug: 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dughlas said:

G'day y'all. It's warm. When the pup and I got out of bed at 5am it was 81/27° with 94% humidity making it feel like 92/33°. The sun wasn't even up. Needless to say it's forecast to get hotter with possible t'storms.

A little cooler here today, but still feels like 30 degrees. Hey, bro and Mum. :hug: 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Check for Beatles if you them get insectile soap it will kill them:yes: and its not poison

No beetles... my research says it's from not being pollinated properly... not enough grains of pollen... and it's common with zucchini. :( 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Headstall said:

A little cooler here today, but still feels like 30 degrees. Hey, bro and Mum. :hug: 

Hi. Well the sun came up and at 1pm it's 88/31° with 82% humidity making it feel 108/42° and it's expected to get a couple degrees hotter. I have never been in air with a dewpoint of 82°. It's oppressive. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, Headstall said:

My zucchini are doing terrible... leaves and fruit dying off... the same is happening to my daughter's plants. :( 

Are the vines wilting too? If so you probably have vine borers.  I hate to say it but if so your zucchini are doomed. The larva eat out the inside of the major stems killing the plants. I've never had zucchini survive beyond mid-season because of them. Next year put a net cover over the vines to keep the moths from laying their eggs on your plants. I don't bother because fresh produce is readily available at the local farm markets and roadside stands.

Edited by dughlas
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Hi. Well the sun came up and at 1pm it's 88/31° with 82% humidity making it feel 108/42° and it's expected to get a couple degrees hotter. I have never been in air with a dewpoint of 82°. It's oppressive. 

Just came in and it's oppressive here too. :( 

• Wow 1
  • Sad 4
1 minute ago, dughlas said:

Are the vines wilting too? If so you probably have vine borers.  I hate to say it but if so your zucchini are doomed. The larva eat out the inside of the major stems killing the plants. I've never had zucchini survive beyond mid-season because of them. Next year put a net cover over the vines to keep the moths from laying their eggs on your plants. I don't bother because fresh produce is readily available at the local fram markets and roadside stands.

Thanks, dugh. The vines aren't wilting, and I'm getting healthy new leaves, but the fruit keeps turning yellow from the end before shriveling up. I've about given up on them. Apparently, bees are down this year... my daughter did some research too. My peppers aren't showing fruit yet, but two of my tomatoes have fruit, and another one has one beginning.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

We're having a brief rain shower. Apparently one of the numerous passing clouds leaks like a sieve. Blue sky all around it. 

It can't make up its mind here... a few drops and then sun... rinse and repeat....

• Haha 5
Just now, Headstall said:

Thanks, dugh. The vines aren't wilting, and I'm getting healthy new leaves, but the fruit keeps turning yellow from the end before shriveling up. I've about given up on them. Apparently, bees are down this year... my daughter did some research too. My peppers aren't showing fruit yet, but two of my tomatoes have fruit, and another one has one beginning.

That's better news. Maybe you could hand pollinate.

I know tomatoes will not set new fruit if the nights don't drop below about 70 degrees even if properly pollinated. Once the heat wave passes they'll begin fruiting again. Maybe peppers are the same. I do know if peppers don't get enough water they will not fruit. They take alot of water, I've had to water up to a gallon a day during hot dry weather. Try watering them daily and see if that makes a difference.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

That's better news. Maybe you could hand pollinate.

I know tomatoes will not set new fruit if the nights don't drop below about 70 degrees even if properly pollinated. Once the heat wave passes they'll begin fruiting again. Maybe peppers are the same. I do know if peppers don't get enough water they will not fruit. They take alot of water, I've had to water up to a gallon a day during hot dry weather. Try watering them daily and see if that makes a difference.

I do water the peppers daily because they are in buckets. I water all them daily... if I don't the tomatoes droop. The peppers look healthy... my daughter says they take longer in her experience. I thought I might have been overwatering the zucchini, but letting them dry out completely, seemed to make matters worse. I at least got one good zucchini (big enough to make clo happy :P) , but I think I'm done with them after this experience.

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..