Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

2 hours ago, dughlas said:

I had to be concerned with groundhogs nesting under any brushpiles I built. Also, my local township has an ordinance against burning brush or trash, there is an exception for farms allowing them to burn brush.

Strictly speaking, there's a county by-law here about burning rubbish. But as long as it's not a constant thing, or creating dangerous and noxious fumes (burning old tyres, or the like), there's usually a blind eye turned to it.

And I assume your "groundhogs" are the hedgehogs I mentioned in my reply to Val above...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Site Administrator
3 minutes ago, Marty said:

The hedgehog in the British Isles is also spiny.

hedgehog-008.jpg?width=620&quality=85&au
British(also European) hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus)

When frightened, one of its defence mechanisms is to roll up in a ball so that it is difficult for it to be picked up. Unfortunately, this often results in hedgehogs being killed by cars at night. Many people over here only ever see a hedgehog as a result of road kill.

I've also read that in the past people would actually cook hedgehogs by picking them up (wearing gloves or using a thick cloth) and putting them into the embers of the fire.

I guess they have built-in kebabs... :unsure: :P 

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, Marty said:

The hedgehog in the British Isles is also spiny.

Having just re-read Val's comment, I think I may have misunderstood what she was saying. Was she telling me American groundhogs are not spiny? :unsure2:

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..