Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

I hate when my stepson gets my mail out of my mailbox and never rings it to me until I say something. He is so forgetful. I guess this old lady will have to start walking to her neighbors house which is where my mailbox is. I live in front of the interstate where there is a overpass that vehicles turn under and some don't pay attention to the way they drive so I can't put my mailbox in front of my house. There are 2 more people that live down the road behind me, (I own the road since it is part of the land and have to give the right of way to the people behind me to get to their property), which they have to have their mailboxes put in front of our neighbors house like I do. So I bet I don't get my mail tonight at all!

• Like 3

Good night. And yes it is still early but I did not sleep very long last night. I will be up really early since it will be raining and my order collie freaks out when it rains and she tries to tear my doors or windows trying to get out to run off. I lost her once for almost 24 hours when I did not realize it was fixing to rain. A neighbor across the interstate found her trying to get in his yard and he had to call the vet to find out who she belonged to. He brought her to me when he got off work. That was 4 years ago.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Story Reader said:

Good night. And yes it is still early but I did not sleep very long last night. I will be up really early since it will be raining and my order collie freaks out when it rains and she tries to tear my doors or windows trying to get out to run off. I lost her once for almost 24 hours when I did not realize it was fixing to rain. A neighbor across the interstate found her trying to get in his yard and he had to call the vet to find out who she belonged to. He brought her to me when he got off work. That was 4 years ago.

Good night, Sherye. :hug: 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Marty said:

I have seen that happen before with individual rams. 

When in a flock, the sheep (even any rams that may be in the flock) really do behave like sheep, and will be "frightened" of the sheepdog, hence enabling the dog, after suitable training, to round them up and move them in the direction the shepherd tells it to. The shepherd uses different calls, whistles and hand signals (which often made more obvious to the sheepdog by the shepherd waving his crook, or long stick) to tell the dog what it is supposed to do.

But a ram, by itself, doesn't follow the flock instinct (as it's not currently part of a flock) and, being usually quite a good bit bigger than the sheepdog, will sometimes stand its ground, and may even attack it with its forehead, as seen in the video.

For this reason, when a shepherd is training a young dog, he (or she) will try to make sure that it is not put in a situation where it would be confronted by a lone ram. Not just because the young dog may be physically injured when the ram charges it, but also because the mental fright to the dog may make it unwilling to face sheep in the future.

Morning, Marty. :hug: 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

The suckiness that is 2021 continues... I talked to one of my old high school friends and her BFF passed away suddenly :(  We all used to hang out together during high school and for quite a few years afterwards.  :(  

:hug: sis

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Morning, Marty. :hug: 

Howdy, Gary! :hug:

A nice sunny, if slightly cold, day here. Getting some more ladder work done in neighbour's garden against the boundary wall. Very slow progress, but for every branch cut, however small, it's one step closer to the finish. :yes:

And, anyway, I suppose the very first cut was the most important one... ;) 

• Love 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..