Jump to content

CoTT 2 House of Cards


Kitt

Recommended Posts

Just now, Marty said:

Just checked his profile, and this is what I see...

  • LAST VISITED  Friday at 05:30 PM

I just sent him a pm asking if he's okay. I'll let you know if/when I hear something.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
Just now, dughlas said:

I just sent him a pm asking if he's okay. I'll let you know if/when I hear something.

Cheers, buddy. I did the same about 5 minutes back. :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Some times when Gary is intensely writing he doesn't come on:yes:

 

2 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Or he has fallen off a chair again:rofl:

I'm praying to the Almighty Cod in the Sea it's the first of those two suggestions. :yes:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Wildfire in Northern Ireland declared a 'major incident'!

People walk with a view of smoke from the gorse fire spreading across the Mourne Mountains in the background, seen from Newcastle, County Down, in Northern Ireland, Saturday, April 24, 2021. Firefighters in Northern Ireland are spending a second day

It's not just in Northern Ireland, but there's been a massive fire in the Killarney National Park in the south-east of the Republic of Ireland, which has destroyed up to 50% of the National Park.

https://www.thejournal.ie/wildfires-put-out-killarney-5420081-Apr2021/

These fires have nothing to do with climate change, and are a regular pattern during the spring months in Ireland. They are sometimes started maliciously, sometimes carelessly by things like BBQ's, and sometimes by farmers illegally trying to burn heather and/or gorse (gorse is sometimes called whin or furze in some parts of Ireland) in the hope that grass will replace them, to feed the sheep they keep on the mountains.

I heard on the radio earlier today that up to to ten percent of the slightly more than 100 remaining breeding pairs of Hen Harriers in Ireland breed in the Killarney National Park. It is likely that many of their nests and eggs/chicks were lost in this year's fire. If the parents themselves survived they may now have no ground prey to feed on...

 

  • Wow 5
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Marty said:

It's not just in Northern Ireland, but there's been a massive fire in the Killarney National Park in the south-east of the Republic of Ireland, which has destroyed up to 50% of the National Park.

https://www.thejournal.ie/wildfires-put-out-killarney-5420081-Apr2021/

These fires have nothing to do with climate change, and are a regular pattern during the spring months in Ireland. They are sometimes started maliciously, sometimes carelessly by things like BBQ's, and sometimes by farmers illegally trying to burn heather and/or gorse (gorse is sometimes called whin or furze in some parts of Ireland) in the hope that grass will replace them, to feed the sheep they keep on the mountains.

I heard on the radio earlier today that up to to ten percent of the slightly more than 100 remaining breeding pairs of Hen Harriers in Ireland breed in the Killarney National Park. It is likely that many of their nests and eggs/chicks were lost in this year's fire. If the parents themselves survived they may now have no ground prey to feed on...

 

Here in SC and back in PA we will have springtime grass fires. The warm sunshine, low humidity, spring winds and lack of forest cover lends itself to very dry ground cover that ignites easily and spreads quickly. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Here in SC and back in PA we will have springtime grass fires. The warm sunshine, low humidity, spring winds and lack of forest cover lends itself to very dry ground cover that ignites easily and spreads quickly. 

True story:

Back sometime in the 1970's, when I was teaching second level, one of my pupils was called April Heather Burns.

I reckoned her parents must have had a weird sense of humour to give their daughter those two forenames. :yes: (Either that, or they just had no idea how easily heather burns in April.)

Another true story:

I also had a student called Steven Melley. Obviously his friends gave him the nickname Smelly. :rofl:

A third true story:

In one class I had three pupils with the surnames Bird, Henn, and Parrot.

And a true story from when I was still at school (an all boys school):

I had two friends in my class with the surnames Love and Darling. And the teachers in those days always called us by our surname. 

 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment

It's waaaaay past my bedtime...

I'll leave you with this bit of nonsense by Bob Geldof (and if you're not laughing by the end of it, there's something wrong with you :P)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Video isn't working Marty

 

Try this version (not quite as funny as the one I first shared)...

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Happy Tuesday, all! :hug:

The weather's not quite as nice today as it has been for the past number of days. Overcast, with spotty rain at the moment, and the temp down quite a few degrees to around 11°C/52°F. The met office are suggesting the rest of the week will be unsettled, with occasional rain showers, but no heavy falls. Just as long as the weather remembers to improve again before the end of August, I'm not too upset, as it should help the vegetable seeds germinate, with me not having to get the hosepipe out to water the garden. :) 

have-a-blessed-day.jpg

Edited by Marty
Tidying up
  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Page Scrawler said:

Hey, Marty!  :hug:

 

Hey, Albert.  :hug: :kiss:

Hey, Page! :hug: 

1 minute ago, Page Scrawler said:

Hey, Marty!  :hug:

 

Hey, Albert.  :hug: :kiss:

Hey, Page! :hug:

Is there an echo in here? :unsure2:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..