Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

4 minutes ago, dughlas said:

That's the date for tender plants and seedlings back home in PA. However, cool weather crops like peas, potatoes, lettuce, spinach are frequently planted in late March. Here in SC are about a month ahead though I planted my sugar peas on the PA timeline. Next year I'll plant them earlier.

You may remember we live at 5000 feet and can still have hard frosts till about then. Even though it can still snow in July!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

We can't plant anything till May 15 :yes:

We can expect the last frost up until 3rd June here. So I can't plant any tender plants in the ground outside before then. I've some vegetable and flower seeding in pots and trays that I have to bring in every evening. I'm also planning to plant my seed potatoes next weekend. They'll take 3 weeks or so for the sprouts to get above ground, so will be safe from any late frosts.

Edited by Marty
typo
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, Marty said:

Well, I sleep naked...

And I may have dreamed about gardening...

Can't be sure, though, as any dreams I had were not lucid ones.

So did you? :unsure2:

It rained, i didn't want to catch a cold -_-

• Haha 5
34 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Aloha All:hug::kiss: we bought a fig tree hmmm figs

Not a fan but I will happily forward them onto my Dad. I add fresh figs to his Christmas pressies

• Love 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Albert1434 said:

Aloha All:hug::kiss: we bought a fig tree hmmm figs

Greetings, young Albert! :hug:

I have a plum tree and a cooking apple tree ready for planting from the large pots they are in. It won't be done today, as it's a wet and windy one.

I also have two smaller apple trees in pots, one cooker (different variety) and one eater. I am not intending planting those two in the ground until at least the coming autumn/winter, as they were only grafted onto their rootstocks last year.

All the apple trees are on MM106 rootstocks, which is a semi-dwarfing stock and will grow up to 3 to 4 metres high (10 to 15 feet). I didn't want to buy ones on dwarfing rootstocks (M26), as they don't produce a very vigorous root system, and would likely suffer from wind damage in my climate.

The plum tree is on a St. Julien A rootstock, which grows to around 3.5 to 4 meters in height (11 to 15 feet).

Edited by Marty
Clarification
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Pickle fig are so good with pork:yes:

45 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

And fig jam good base for sauces with pork:yes:

I'll take your word for this as I'm not a fig fan.

• Haha 3
50 minutes ago, Marty said:

I have a plum tree and a cooking apple tree ready for planting from the large pots they are in. It won't be done today, as it's a wet and windy one.

I also have two smaller apple trees in pots, one cooker (different variety) and one eater. I am not intending planting those two in the ground until at least the coming autumn/winter, as they were only grafted onto their rootstocks last year.

All the apple trees are on MM106 rootstocks, which is a semi-dwarfing stock and will grow up to 3 to 4 metres high (10 to 15 feet). I didn't want to buy ones on dwarfing rootstocks (M26), as they don't produce a very vigorous root system, and would likely suffer from wind damage in my climate.

The plum tree is on a St. Julien A rootstock, which grows to around 3.5 to 4 meters in height (11 to 15 feet).

What no pears? When you say "cooker" what does that mean? It's not terminology I'm familiar with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, dughlas said:

When you say "cooker" what does that mean? It's not terminology I'm familiar with.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you may call them baking apples your side of the Pond...

• Like 5

Fig trees don't really grow well outside in Ireland or Britain, certainly not in the more northern parts, although they can be grown in glasshouses and polytunnels. But I do remember seeing them growing on and beside the walls of the old steel mills lining the River Don in Sheffield when I was at university there back in the 1960s. Water from the river was apparently used to cool the hot molten steel, before being returned to the river. This produced a much warmer micro-climate for the figs to survive. Now the steel industry has basically ended, I reckon the fig trees are no longer there...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Marty said:

Sounds nice. As long as you don't climb on a chair on 2 legs to pick the fruits ;)

• Haha 4
16 minutes ago, dughlas said:

What no pears?

I do intend to get a pear tree eventually. Just not yet done the research to decide what variety would be best for where I live.

Edited by Marty
typo
  • Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..