Your current song

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I come across this while reading an online article, I like it and like others, I wonder if it could have been one of the first songs in support of gay relationships. May be it was, may be it wasn't, but set to this montage of 1950's photo's it comes across in a good light. Recorded by Jimmie Rodgers back in the 1950's.

• Love 3
  • Wow 1
58 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

I come across this while reading an online article, I like it and like others, I wonder if it could have been one of the first songs in support of gay relationships. May be it was, may be it wasn't, but set to this montage of 1950's photo's it comes across in a good light. Recorded by Jimmie Rodgers back in the 1950's.

The mentioning of "rights" in the song is telling. Surly same-sex couples could relate to, and adopt the song as anthem, but so could those who were under age, as well as those in interracial relationships. 

Thanks for posting this 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mancunian said:

The montage was excellent.  This was one of the first popular songs I remember as a teenager.  I wouldn't have associated it with same-sex love, mostly because I didn't even know what that was at the time - nor for a number of years later.  Looking for info on Jimmie Rodgers online, I was surprised to discover that he grew up a few miles down the road - a bit before my time, though.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AC Benus said:

The mentioning of "rights" in the song is telling. Surly same-sex couples could relate to, and adopt the song as anthem, but so could those who were under age, as well as those in interracial relationships. 

Thanks for posting this 

3 hours ago, Backwoods Boy said:

The montage was excellent.  This was one of the first popular songs I remember as a teenager.  I wouldn't have associated it with same-sex love, mostly because I didn't even know what that was at the time - nor for a number of years later.  Looking for info on Jimmie Rodgers online, I was surprised to discover that he grew up a few miles down the road - a bit before my time, though.

In the article that I read it does state that there are no clues as to the type of relationship that was being referred to, it went on to say that at the time of recording homosexuality was illegal as were interracial relationships, it was during the time that segregation was practiced and on the statute books. Because of the laws of the time and the fact that it has never stated what relationship was being referred to it could be interpreted in many different ways. The montage refers to one way in which it could be interpreted. We will never know what the 'secret' relationship was, we can only speculate. In all fairness I will say that I do not claim to know, nor can I speculate, what relationship is being referred to. The montage was compiled and put to the song by gaytwogether.com, this website is no longer in existence so no explanation is available from them.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

South Korea is still a pretty homophobic country, so K-Pop music tends to shy away from LGBT themes and messages. So every Friday, this Pride Month, I want to share some K-Pop music that do explore those themes and messages. And I can't think of a more fitting way to kick things off with than Show Me Your Pride by the all-Queer Lionesses.

• Love 1

Yoojung - begin

from the video's description: 

Among the countless lovers in the world, there are also lovers that couldn’t be blessed.
For whatever reasons.
Religious reasons, things like parents’ disapproval.
I dedicate this song to all those lovers that couldn’t be blessed.

KB - be free

from the video's description:

I couldn't confess because I didn't want to get hurt
The moments of hesitation.
Let's talk even if we're hurt.
Even though it's broken and painful,
Let's face it together.

• Love 1