Trigger Warnings on GA. What do yo think?

I'm not a fan of Trigger Warnings. I would rather not use them. However, they are required on GA as it's part of the rules here, and it's the only reason why I use them. On other sites, I don't.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, GanymedeRex said:

Interesting.  The tags already let people know what's in a story.

Tags are one part, and while it says what the overall theme might contain one of the moderated content, the warnings are need on the chapters that actually has the content. That's why you see both.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Don't judge me. It's this quarantine crap, it's making me go all weird.

"Right.... Scott...." <--- In Doctor Evil's Voice.

• Haha 2

I feel that trigger warnings have their place on this site, but I also think they are all mixed up with tags. An example of a trigger warning is: This story contains references to sex and drugs and other real life incidents which may be disturbing to some readers. It may not be suitable for readers with sensibilities. A warning to readers about content.

The tags on stories, especially the sex tags, are not exactly trigger warnings, except if you tag say, rape. However, I don't see a tag like anal as a trigger warning. Tags on age suitability are not trigger warnings, but a guide to parents on story content. I think it is all mixed together in tags, which include some trigger warnings, some age suitability guidance, and simply story categories.

On other sites I have seen age suitability guidance clarified, along the lines of, teenager may include mild swearing, mature stories are those with adult content ( obvious really). That classification is not a trigger warning. Trigger warnings are: this story contains scenes which may hurt readers with particular sensibilities. You may then wish to add, rape, child abuse, drugs, extreme violence, etc.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Myr said:

Tags and content warnings have nothing to do with each other at all.  Tags are a way to sort stories for particular content. 

If I read Talo's response correctly, I think that was his exact point, since some people in this thread have conflated the two. :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have mixed feelings on trigger warnings.  Overall, I think they can be good.  But as some have already said, the content tags can give an idea of a story, while warnings may be placed on specific chapters.

One of my favorite authors (who has not yet posted on GA) has used warnings on two chapters of his work (out of nearly 1,000 chapters posted on another site) and they were very appropriate.  One was a description of a fourteen-year-old discovering that a classmate was attempting to suicide, and how he ended up saving his life.  The other was a much more graphic and violent crime scene.  His warning was something like, "A violent and gruesome crime scene is discovered three paragraphs below such-and-such point.  If this might be a triggering event or you have a weak stomach, skip down to xxxx."

Trigger warnings can be overused.  I saw once a trigger warning about a person getting chewing gun in their hair by accident.  While funny, I did not think it rose to being worthy of a warning.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

Trigger warnings can be overused.  I saw once a trigger warning about a person getting chewing gun in their hair by accident.  While funny, I did not think it rose to being worthy of a warning.

Yeah, they can be used to the point of absurdity. There was one story I read, that had a trigger warning about consensual heterosexual sex, in a straight romance novel. It made me wonder why it was there, until I was told that 'some' readers consider any form of heterosexual sex 'non-consensual'. It made my head hurt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, CassieQ said:

I even had an admin member leave me a comment on Unrequited telling me that I should warn readers about "het sex". 

Should I be putting 'Trigger Warning: Vagina' on my trans dude stories, maybe? 🤔

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Should I be putting 'Trigger Warning: Vagina' on my trans dude stories, maybe? 🤔

Nobody complained when I had a character in a three way with two other guys and a couple of chapters later had him eat a girl out and then go at it with her. Well, my editor did say "Yuck" or something like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3