• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator

This is a website. People come and go.

It is also a gay community... which seems to mean it is full of drama queens doing things just for attention.

Some people leave when we don't allow the dramas to run their course.

such is life.

Myr

It is also a gay community... which seems to mean it is full of drama queens doing things just for attention.

such is life.

Myr

Hey Myr

LOL :lol:

Just to say that I appreciate very much your sense of humour. It seems that some people dont like the fun and the drollery of the games.

I do :D

I take the opportunity to say "THANKS" to the Creator of this big site :worship:

Old bob

This is a gay community, like stated above. However, because this is a gay community, I do not think that saying it is full of Drama Queens doing things for attention is a fair statement. Yes, some people have decided to leave, that is their choice, whatever their reasons may be. I, however, do not think that they are doing it to be a "Drama Queen," I think that they are leaving GA out of frustration with the way they have been treated.

This is all my opinion of course, and well...

Good day,

Kurt

Edited by Kurt

I love Gay Authors, and I think it's important to remember that no one here is entitled to anything. This site is here because Myr gave it to us, and he could take it down in a snap. Let's just hope he never does, though, because there's no other site like it on the web. Even the authors are better at GA than at any other site. Hands down :)

• Site Administrator

My two cents worth (Australian, so they aren't worth a lot :P ).

1. There are hot-button issues that inflame people and it is too easy for rational discussion to turn into angry mobs yelling and abusing each other. I fully support the idea of trying to avoid those issues -- I've seen forums get wrecked as a consequence.

2. I would think that there are enough non-science fiction/fantasy stories available to keep anyone happy. I'm so far behind in my reading list that it's not funny. Some of those stories are not hosted here, but I don't see that as something to worry about. There are high quality authors here in all genres, and if that means that there are some I won't read (because I don't like the genre), then I don't have a problem with that -- I just stick to the genres I DO like.

3. People move around -- as Sharon said, it's a fact of life. Some have unrealistic expectations, some realise that they need to do things differently, and some simply change and find that they need to try something different. It can be disappointing to those who miss them, but it happens in real-life as much as it happens on-line.

4. People have a variety of tastes. Some people like the games. Some people like in-depth discussions. If there's been a lack of the later, then I would say that is just natural variation. I personally think there have been a number of such discussions recently, though mainly in the Teen Forum. I won't usually start one, but I'm happy to participate (like with this thread :) ).

5. I was mildly annoyed by Myr's comment above about drama queens and the implication that they seem to be a consequence of being a gay community, but as I don't know Myr I'll accept Old Bob's view that it was meant to be humourous.

Just my opinion.

Graeme :D

And just what is up with the influx of so many sci-fi/fantasy stories? Time travel, creatures that go bump in the night, odd planet names and strange flying machines. Oh yeah, in what little spare time I have that can be devoted to reading, that

Hey Sharon,

I know how you feel. I have been somewhat dissapointed by lots of great people leaving the site. Especially because I find myself getting more involved and they are getting less and less involved. However, like the others said this is an online community and that is to be expected. People's lives change and they can't spend all of their lives here. So it is a sad fact of how things go.

Also, I do believe that there is a balance of stories here. I do like the scifi/fantasy stories but sometimes I just need to reach for something more...realistic. There are plenty of experienced and new authors writing all kinds of stories. If you want some recommended stories I'm sure we can find some you would like, there is so much to chose from!

There is also supposed to be a balance of discussions in the lounge. Lately there have been less disucssion topis posted, probably becuase people are busy these days. You could always start some good topics and I'm sure many would be happy to chip in! :)

As for keeping up with those who are not here anymore, there are other ways to stay in touch. I recommend using msn, so many people have it. In fact vic does have msn and I talk to him and others regularily.

Anyway, I hope things warm up too, the cold sucks. Take care Sharon :hug:

Greg

I've joined only a week ago. And I'm not sure I'll find what I was first expecting. But I hope I'll find something else: being able to exchange with others on writing. That's already a lot. Obviously I won't be able to ever read everybody's work , and some genres do not necessarily appeal to me. Yet this seems to be quite a unique place. I wish I could have joined such a forum/ site 20 years ago.

I love GA. I'm here because it's such a great place for writers, especially for beginning writers like me. And I'm also here because of the stories. The variety of stories is fantastic. For me, I'm a big fan of non-gay SF stories but not fantasy (with one exception, what I'd call the "fantasy-comedy" genre, like Heroics for Beginners by John Moore). But, for whatever reason, I'm not a fan of gay SF (or fantasy) stories. But all I have to do is not read that kind of story on GA. I think it's great that they're here! It makes GA more inclusive. :read:

Graeme said "I'm so far behind in my reading list that it's not funny." Me, too. Problem for me is that any of the very little non-schoolwork and non-personal-required-stuff free time I get I need to dedicate to writing. But I'm seduced by some of the stories, based on what posters on GA say about them. Like Living in Surreality, and The Other Side of Me, and Sky's the Limit, and... well, you get the idea. It's important for me to read, because I learn from reading, and that (hopefully) will make me a better writer. That's what GA offers in huge quantities. :2thumbs:

Glomph said "The person below me is tired of all the games" and sat8997 said "oh gag me with a spoon it's another annoying game". Those are both totally LOL :lol: ! Personally, I like the games. But they are sort of cluttering up the Lounge. Maybe there could be a separate "Games" forum? :lmao:

I wish I had more time to be more active on GA, like post more often and have a Blog and read Articles and veiw Albums and participate on Live Chat. I know if I did that my schoolwork would suffer as I became a GA Addict. ;) So I avoid overindulgence, just like I do with candy, desserts, and junk food. Whatever.

Colin :boy:

Okay, I'm new here, and I've never participated in a journal or chatroom before, and I started with Prodigy! But, GA is a great place to find quality fiction. That's why I started coming here in the first place.

And, someday I'll probably go onto something else, you just never know.

For the time being, though, I'm staying.

And, no, I don't really care if anyone reads my stuff. I write because I have to. But, I do read other writers stuff and comment on it, if appropriate.

Well, I guess it's time to go find a new story to read.

:D

I really enjoy a good fantasy story, but am not very fond of sci-fi... and I've intended to write a fantasy epic for the longest, but they are very difficult to make original and new instead of the same boring formula over and over. That's the main reason I'm taking that idea very slowly...

Forum games are fun! But I do agree they shouldn't be amongst other threads in the lounge. Perhaps a subforum is in order... most forums have a forum specifically for the forum games. They're great fun when you're just in a silly mood and want to have a quick laugh.

All this talk about drama queens... ~sighs~ Sites die because of this, you know. Too many people not willing to give a little and reach a happy medium...

Intelligent discussions... Graeme's right, there are a few in the Teen Spot forum. That's where a lot of my thread creating happens, since I'm around teens five days a week if not more, and I am one myself, lol. But, to tell the truth, I dislike discussing politics. I offend people when I talk about religion. So I try to stay away from those two topics. :)

Sharon wrote:

"And just what is up with the influx of so many sci-fi/fantasy stories?"

Myk echoed:

"I do like the scifi/fantasy stories but sometimes I just need to reach for something more...realistic."

What, a historical fantasy story set in a prison isn't realistic enough for you guys?

That's it. Next story I announce is going to be set in twenty-first-century America at, um . . . a waltz party! Featuring a leatherman! Is that realistic enough for you?

B)

This is a website. People come and go.

such is life.

Myr

Hi,

Resident drama queen here(or at least one of them)

One thing to think about, all the other 'Queens' that were willing to talk to me have given the same reason for the drama and it seems that most of it started right around the time you started your little break

A good chat about a topic is always great for the soul. For me, at least lately it's been about just getting away from all the crazy aspect of my life. So I guess that's why I sort of turned towards the "games" here.

I wonder maybe we can create a thread section for those who want to have fun with the game threads. This way the Lounge isn't cluttered with them.

I've seen it done somewher else, and clearly those who wanted to enjoy them flock there and it still allows for the great chats we are see and have seen.

There I've done it again by adding my two cents. I hope you enjoyed it.

Bardeara

I found something unique in this place. I found people that cared enought about you that they asked if you were alright, that they supported you when you needed them to. I think that most of the people come here because of the stories but most stay because of the community this place offers. I couldnt have made it throught the past few months if it wasnt for some of the people that come here also. So I think we should all be grateful that this place exists. I know I am and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Chaz

Has it become that impossible to start an intelligent thread that might just provoke a bit of debate and discussion...

Seems its not so impossible after all. And look.....no one was in anyone's pants, having to decide between this or that, or pushing anyone off a cliff. B)

Sharon (Who has no intention of getting anywhere near a cliff edge at any time in the near future :D )

• Site Moderator
Seems its not so impossible after all. And look.....no one was in anyone's pants, having to decide between this or that, or pushing anyone off a cliff. B)

Sharon (Who has no intention of getting anywhere near a cliff edge at any time in the near future :D )

Sharon, you're right and I agree. Personally, I look at the humorous side of the games. I don't always participate, but I get a laugh out of some of them.

Jan

• Site Administrator

To be completely honest with everyone, I am completely burned out. I have no more tolerance at all for BS. Running this site is sitting directly in front of a stream of it.

I run myself ragged keeping up with all the stuff for this site... do I hear thanks? no. Do I hear appreciation? No.

I hear about how I should be doing things. I hear about how so and so did such and such and how evil/incompetent/stupid I am for allowing it.

It takes a LOT of work to run a site this size. Everyone seems to think they know how to do it. I'll beg to differ. If you knew how to do it, then you'd have your own large community with everyone griping at you and you wouldn't have time to arm-chair general your time for me.

A lot of people here are absolutely savaging a good person here who has dared to enforce rules and to try to herd a bunch of cats. People have volunteered and have left once they realize that when we ask you to volunteer time to help... you actually have to spend time and help.

I'm not going to name names, but one of the people that had a whole bunch to say about how I should be doing things, told me that he would be happy to help. But we would have to work around his schedule. He mentioned something about university finals and then a vacation for this month.

Well... Good Lord! Why didn't I think of that? I don't work 50 hours a week and I didn't just finish my masters of science degree, while trying to keep GA running.

Everyone expects me to drop everything I'm doing to solve their issues so they can read their story on the site. Or because they aren't happy because their skin is so thin and someone said "liar liar pants on fire."

No one seems to appreciate the fine line we have to tread. The majority of the people in the world do not like Gays. But they really despise and wish to hang those guys that like younger guys. ANY hint of any sort of adult male chatting with a teenager raises all sorts of unholy hell. When push comes to shove, the FBI doesn't come knocking on YOUR door when something goes bad. They come to mine. I've asked the staff here to strictly enforce rules regarding live chat and conversations between the young men and adults here. For this I get grief.

It only takes one little incident to have this place closed outright. But nobody cares about that. They are more concerned that they can't do whatever the hell they want, simply because they want it. They terrorize someone that has the gall to enforce the rules.

Let me put everyone on notice:

I started this site because I enjoy reading good stories. I found good authors and having good authors attracted more. I started a community so that people could talk about those stories. I am rather libertarian in political view, so I've kept the rules to a minimum.

I am no longer having fun. Gay Authors is far more work for me than any worth I get out of it. A large number of the staff have left for personal reasons or because of the mistreatment from you the members. I have a list of people that are causing me more grief than anything else. I'm going to give everything a few more days to stabilize. After that point, anyone that is causing me grief, is going to be leaving Gay Authors. If that doesn't work, I will simply close the majority of the forums.

This site is what its members make of it. The things we ask for are VERY minimal and for the best of keeping the community open and safe.

For the vast majority of the silent readers, please forgive this rant. It may be time to come out from hiding and post about what you feel.

Tell me why it is worth my time to keep Gay Authors open and thriving.

And just what is up with the influx of so many sci-fi/fantasy stories? Time travel, creatures that go bump in the night, odd planet names and strange flying machines. Oh yeah, in what little spare time I have that can be devoted to reading, that's the kind of story I'm just waiting to jump all over. Not.

Right. So in the future we will not force you to read such horrors. You're absolutely correct. Let's ban all fantasy and science fiction writers. Yup. Sorry Myr, you're banned. Oh, DK? Yup, you've gotta go buddy. Crap, I'm done too folks. I'm glad you felt the need to let us know. And now that I have your attention...stop making me read all sorts of sap-filled angsty coming out stories that are a dime a dozen. Let's ban them too. Romance? Pff.

Excuse me while I go dig out my teeny tiny violin.

Dio (who is wearing an equally sarcastic grin that should have been used to preface this post)

I thought I would join in the discussion. I'm not an "active" poster, but I do comment once in a while. I read the forums, and I've enjoyed reading several of the authors on this site.

I joined in the Spring of this year, and I can honestly say this site is not the same. A number of people would say that's natural because of how a community like this works, but I have to admit I'm disappointed at the loss of some articulate people who made the forums more enjoyable.

I recognize how much work Myr has done - and there is no doubt it is a thankless job. I applaud Myr for trying to maintain an atmosphere of tolerance and creativity. There have definitely been trouble-makers - so much so that Chat had to be shut down. It's a shame really, because that was the way many people interacted on GA.

I have donated to this site, and I have talked to Myr and other administrators as well, so I'm not a "lurker". I am saddened, though, by how things have turned out. There have been battles between certain administrators and members that has caused other people to leave.

At the end of the day, it is Myr's decision as to whether GA stays open for business. I would certainly like to see it continue, but with the understanding that people take a step back and breath and treat each other with simple kindness. I too was not overly excited about the "drama queen" statement, but I'm also not sure Myr is that far off in his comment. I've seen some pretty stupid drama played out here.

I've also seen people misinterpet things and take statements the wrong way. It goes without saying that you have to just let stuff slide off your back if you're going to participate in an environment like this one.

So, let me end by saying GA is a worthwhile endeavor. I hope it can stay open. But changes have to be made. Members, Moderators, and Administrators all have to work together to make this place worthwhile.

If not, then Myr will understandably close the doors.

I will sit tight and hope for the best.

Centaur

Guest second2change

This is the first time I ever posted on this site. I am as you say the notorius "lurker". Just wanted to say to Myr and his staff thanks a lot for this great site and all your work and time.

It has helped me a lot in the last few months and I hope it will do for a long time to come. It gave me the laughs I needed when I was feeling down. It gave me the tears when I read some of the stories when I needed to let some emotions go. Love the stories posted here from authors I really like. The site is just great, easy to navigate and lots of different things to do. Everybody just read/do what they like, if you do not like the genre, don't read it or don't visit the threads.

Again Myr and staff thanks a lot and I hope you will be able to go on. So from my point of few Myr you are doing an incredible job here Thanks!

It only takes a few bad apples to ruin the whole bunch, and in the last few months a handful of people have come very close to achieving the singular success of removing the Gay Authors website from the internet. Just be glad it isn't me in Myr's shoes. First of all, you would not have seen a single new chapter of any of my stories in the last YEAR, at least. Like Myr, I spend a lot of time doing work and other things, but I don't go to school and I don't have to worry about keeping this website up and running. In his shoes, I'd have shut the site forever about six months ago and made sure that every time someone came to the URL, you'd get a message announcing the site is closed and the names of the people who helped close it so you could thank them for their hard work.

How many of you want to assume the legal liability that can come with this site? Do you want your REAL name plastered all over the television news broadcasts across the country and the world (through CNN and FOX) when some teenager from this site disappears after meeting up with 36 year old adult in the Gay Authors chatroom. Do you want to deal with an angry mother when she finds out her son as been visiting this site from his home computer and she threatens to sue YOU and take YOUR money because her son visited this site (even if she doesn't win the case, you're still out THOUSANDS of dollars because of legal fees)

Look at how many people visit this site. There are all sorts of minor problems that have to be handled from users not being able to figure out how to log in, or they can't read the font because it's too small, etc. Then there are the Authors. We authors can be a major pain in the rear, and not the enjoyable kind at that. Whether it's me sending in my chapters with screwey html that makes Myr spend two hours fixing it before he can put up the chapter, or demanding a new button for a new story because I haven't found an artist to do it for me (anyone, help, please? I need a button for The Rider's Pride - PM me), Myr has to deal with this demands for his time.

Then along comes a prima donna who wants his/her hand held, to be coddled and told how wonderful they are, and then they want you to go out and drum up fifty people to comment on their story (btw, if I want to beg for comments, I'll do it myself, and I know if I still don't get any at that point, maybe I should move on to a different story). These prima donnas, you could spend twenty damn hours with them and they're still going to be griping and moaning. Myr, for some odd reason tries to do as much as he (or our staff) can before he cuts them loose. You know, that's one of the things I've always appreciated about Myr, he really does care and want to help people, as does the admin team here.

The only problem is, that when their life force has been sucked dry by these prima donnas, our GA admin staff wind up burned out and ready to 'screw the site'. When that happens, when they quit, we move one step closer to closure, and it is all because of a handful of people (as in between five and ten).

One more thing, to those people who keep on saying they're going to leave because they don't like things here, disappear for a bit, and then come back, or make comments in threads like this one even though they've said they're leaving the site...get out of here and don't come back. If you're leaving, go. Get your butt out of here and don't stick around trying to cause trouble, stir up muck and then waltz on out whistling a happy tune. People like that are the lowest of scum that exist on the internet and deserve every little bad thing that comes their way.

In closing, let's just say that Myr's taken this from a relatively small site into a big success. A few whiners and poseurs who are too damn lazy to lift a finger unless they can get some fancy little reward want to tear it down and ruin it for the vast majority of people. I think it's time that we give people a little taste of what's around the corner. I know this won't affect Sharon too much since most of my stories are Sci-Fi, but I'm going to ask every other Hosted Author on this site to consider following suit.

I will not post any new chapters of any of my stories until after January 1st, 2007.

You can thank your friendly neighborhood whiner and prima donna for this short stoppage of new stories/chapters. Just be glad that GA isn't closing, because if GA does close, my stories disappear from the internet with it, and only those who I consent to send things by e-mail will ever see a new chapter of any story for me. (Yes, I'm now being a bit of a prima donna, threatening to take my ball and leave the playground with it...but you know, it IS my ball and you don't have a right to play with it and beat up my friend as part of your sick, perverted little games).

In closing, let me remind people who do have REAL problems, or REAL suggestions that could help the place out, none of this has anything to do with you. If you can't read a story because of some technical issue, we'll try to help. If we need to get a better font size so those with visual impairments can more easily read our stories and our forums, we're going to do our best. If there's someone out there who is a teenager and being stalked by an adult through chat or PM, please, please, don't hesitate to report it to an admin. You're not going to get in trouble, and neither will the site for stopping someone from stalking a teenager. Real problems will get real answers here, and don't contribute to the mess that has happened over and over for the last few months. Unfortunately, when admin staff are burned out and frazzled from bull-crap put out by other people, those with real problems haven't received the attention or the proper supportive attitude, and I know the GA admin team feels bad about that as well as apologizes. The bottom line, the poseurs and trouble-makers need to be banned within a few days so we can focus on fixing the real problems with site and keeping things moving forward instead of disappearing forever.