Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 4,778 Words
  • 3,900 Views
  • 46 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 1. Chapter 1: Evaluating Evidence

Gripping the flip phone, Vincent gained tunnel vision. Shaw was dead; ripped away from the world too soon. And it's all Stefan's fault! Anger filled him. He knew justice was needed.

He opened the dated device and found the contacts, just to have the phone yanked away. "Wha—"

Mason held it and scowled. "What the hell are you doing, Vinnie?"

"Give that back! I'll kill him!" he seethed.

His mate growled, "What do you mean? Did Stefan do it?"

The rage couldn't be held back. Vincent snarled and yelled, "I felt his magic! Now give me the phone!" He lunged for Mason's arm, but was met by the other.

The lycan shook his head and pushed Vincent away. "Calm down!" The statement was firm in tone, but Vincent felt traces of the alpha's power. Despite his muscles trembling and begging for action, he listened. "You're letting your emotions get the best of you, and that means Stefan wins. Your magic's volatile when you're angry, right?"

Vincent snorted. He refused to acknowledge how Mason was right. That doesn't change the fact I still want to kill that bastard! He dies tonight!

No, mate right.

Hearing his wolf's view on the situation shocked him. What? How the fuck are you siding with him on this?

Don't get wrong, I want kill, but mate right! Need calm. Too much anger and we not succeed.

Pulling his hair, Vincent was backed in a corner. The two most important wolves in his life were against the desire for revenge.

A warm pressure encapsulated him. "Let's go," whispered Mason.

Biting his lip, Vincent caught his own sob and laid against the chest in front of him. The vexation melted away with love as the replacement. "Go where?"

"Anywhere. A drive, a walk. Somewhere to get your mind off that phone."

The device lingered in his memory. No, he's right. He embraced his mate and sniveled, "Can we go to the apartment?"

Mason nodded and led him away from the dresser, leaving the phone behind.

***

Ingle leaned against his Jeep, lost in the moment. He stared at the smoking building. He's gone. He's actually dead. Over the last few weeks, the wolf came close to calling the detective his best friend. A sea of emotions were whirlpooling in his stomach, begging him to hurl. The red and blue flashing lights from the police vehicles were not helping. Palming his shaven head gave him a sense of stability.

A slap on the shoulder broke his daze. "Go home."

He huffed and shook his head. "Can't, Chief."

Chief Henry Vogue took the space next to him with crossed arms. "I understand. Terry may have been a thorn in my side, but this… I wouldn't have wished for this."

The lycan narrowed his eyes. Vincent came, but he vanished as he got closer. Did he feel something? Ingle sighed, "I want to be lead on this, Henry."

"On what? We don't even know what happened yet."

"Vincent swung by, but as he approached the building, he stopped and left." He pushed against the vehicle and faced the older human. "He knows something."

Henry squinted and asked, "What are you saying?"

"I'm sayin' Vincent saw, smelled, or felt something I can't."

"Magic? You think this is foul play?"

Ingle nodded. "And there’s one person that knows both Shaw and Vincent."

After a moment of hesitation, Henry leaned forward. "Let's go. I want to see if it’s safe to go in yet.” Together, they walked towards the charred building and found the fire marshal near the entrance. “Anything yet, Steve?”

The middle-aged man put away his phone and grunted, “Just got the all-clear for entry, but the smell’s still strong. Want to go in, Chief?”

“Yeah, and I’m bringing Ingle. Don’t leave anything unturned.”

“Roger. Officer, do you have CSI experience?”

Ingle shook his head and pointed at Steve’s hands. “No, but I know enough to need a pair of those.”

“Got a spare here.” The marshal pulled out a pair of latex gloves from his back pocket and handed them over. “Try not to disturb too much before the crew gets things photographed. Holler if you find anything.”

Before going in, Steve gathered and distributed full-face respirator masks to the entry team. Ingle’s nose still twinged from the odor, but it wasn’t as bad when he first arrived on scene. He had never been inside a burned building before, so the debris confused him at first. Realizing the ceiling created the majority of it, he moved on. “Where… where was the body found?”

“Speak up!” exclaimed Steven. “Gotta talk louder through the masks.”

“Where was the body?”

“My guys found him near this wall. Shouldn’t Shaw have known to get out in time?”

Henry walked up to the alleged resting place. “He could’ve been asleep.”

“No,” argued Ingle. “We were out with friends. No way Terr went to bed early!” He couldn’t stray his eyes away from the lighter area on the carpet. This… is where he died. Damn it, Terr! You were close to the door!

“What’s this?” Henry asked, gesturing to a darkened spot on the wall.

“Not sure. Wriggley! Get a shot of that, would ya?” Steve moved out of the photographer’s way. After the flash, the three examined the mark. “It’s a line. Faint, but that’s a line.”

“Can’t be a marker, so that leaves blood?”

“Body’s still in the bag. I’ll radio for the coroner to hurry.” Carefully, the marshal exited the apartment.

Ingle’s heart was pounding! Blood. “That means he was hurt before the fire.”

If that’s blood. Examiner needs to do a preliminary autopsy, but I’d say you’re right. There’s a large stain here and here that matches the same coloration.” His shoulders slumped, Henry noisily sighed. “This is now a homicide investigation. I’ll go tell Steve to get his crew prepared. See if you can make sense of that mark.”

As Henry left, Ingle focused. There’s the pool, but it doesn’t look like anything’s out of the ordinary. But this… He knelt and stared at the line on the wall. It’s a pretty straight line. Crooked, and there’s something coming from the right side on top. He squinted, trying to see more clearly through his face shield. Yeah, just the right side. It gets weaker as it goes.

His heart stopped for a moment. Is it a letter? Frantic, he went through the alphabet. B… D… E… F… M, no. Can’t be an M or N, the line goes too far instead of diagonally. P… R…

But if it’s a letter… that means Shaw knew who it was! Snarling, he saw an error in his thinking. Stefan Gregoro. It can’t be an S or a G.

I need a second opinion. Deciding to leave the scene, he regrouped with Henry and Steve outside. “I think it’s a letter, but I need another brain to bounce ideas off of.”

“A letter?” questioned Steve. “What’cha thinking?”

“It’s got to be someone Shaw knew, so that gives us a start.”

Henry drew his phone and started tapping. “I’m calling the FBI. I need a team to investigate the force that won’t be biased.”

Smart. The whole department’s on the suspect list. Ingle’s fingers were already on the move. He grabbed his phone and texted Mason. Need Vincent. Does he think it was Gregoro?

He got a quick response. We’re on the way and yes.

With the alphas coming, he needed to make himself scarce from Steve. “Need a minute, chief. Gotta clear my head.” Excused, Ingle waited by his Jeep. The possible letters swirled in his mind. Pinching his forehead, he tried to delay the incoming headache. Terr… who did you see?

When Mason’s black Tundra rolled in, he walked toward it. The alpha hopped out. “What’s going on, Ingle?”

“Just needed confirmation on somethin’. You felt his energy, Alpha Bolton?”

Vincent nodded somberly. “Yeah, it was faint but it’s there. I barely feel it now.”

Ingle gritted his teeth then asked, “If you can feel where he’s been, can you determine where he was the most in the apartment?”

“I’m allowed in?”

“No, and I’m not sure if the chief and I could reason with the marshal. He’s a stickler for who goes into scenes.”

“That’s okay. I’ll go in the shadows.” In a blink, Vincent vanished.

Seeing the mated alpha’s power always sent a chill down Ingle’s spine. Out of instinct, he scanned the area to see if anyone noticed.

“Don’t worry,” Mason said, “no one was looking. Vinnie’s good at that. So what’s been found so far?”

Ingle pocketed his hands. “Shaw’s body was near a mark on the wall. I think he tried to leave a message, but he didn’t get very far. Just a partial letter, from what I think.”

“What—” Mason was cut off as Vincent reappeared at his side. The shorter lycan had a grimace. “You okay, hot stuff?”

Shaking his head, Vincent mumbled, “Energy was strong near the door, living room window, and the recliner. Stefan… he waited for Terry to come home.”

“But why the door and window?” asked Mason.

Vincent shuddered, but Ingle deduced a possible answer. “The exits could’ve been blocked. Makes sense why Terr didn’t make it out. Alpha, who else knows about the undercover op?”

“The council, my parents, you, and Henry. What did the partial letter look like?”

“A vertical line with one coming off the top, leading to the right. It’s unfinished, but it leaves several letters in the alphabet.”

He watched as Mason held Vincent’s side. The mage was clearly bothered. I shouldn’t have asked him. “I’m sorry, Alpha. It was wrong to have you go in there.”

Vincent shook his head and cleared his throat. “N-no, I needed to.”

“You did great, pup,” whispered Mason before turning to Ingle. “Tell Henry to get Dirk on board as soon as possible. He might have experience with this.”

“Yes, Alpha. We won’t know much more until the autopsy, but I’ll share the new info with Henry.” Heading back to the chief, Ingle left his alphas. The longer he stared at the black apartment, the more he felt the call of justice. He whispered to himself, “I’ll find them, Terry. Just promise you’ll guide me, okay?”

***

Sleep didn’t come easy. After a long saunter through the woods, Mason and Vincent succumbed to their exhaustion as they held each other. Having his mate in a gentle caress, Mason woke early to light peeking through the window blinds. He did his best to separate himself, but Vincent stirred and mumbled, “Wh-what…”

“Go back to sleep. I’m going to make breakfast.”

There was no argument as Vincent laid his head back down. Mason smirked and left. Laying out the pans and baking sheets, he collected the ingredients for a hearty meal. As he whisked the eggs, the alpha started an agenda. Breakfast, hit up Henry and check the findings, maybe head to the farm to clear my head a bit. He then turned to lurking events. Summit’s in two months, then Vincent’ll be meeting up with Yakob in March. Just hope things calm down a bit more.

Flipping the bacon and omelets, he popped a can of biscuits, distributed them, and slid the sheet in the oven. Vincent shuffled in, rubbing an eye in passing. “Anything I can do?”

“Thought I told you to sleep.”

“It’s that mate-thing where I can’t be far from you.” The mage rested his head against Mason’s arm. “I could sleep right here.”

Chuckling, he directed Vincent towards the coffee maker. “I’ll put a nap on the to-do list today, but I’ll need some coffee first.”

“On it,” murmured Vincent. Breakfast carried on without much conversation. Halfway into their food, Vincent whispered, “Did… did last night really happen?”

Mason took a deep breath. “Yeah. It doesn’t seem real, but it happened. I’ll be talking to Henry in about an hour to see what he needs from the pack in terms of aid. As far as I’m concerned, Shaw was a member of my pack for what he was doing.”

“I’m coming too. I got a feeling I can help out.”

“Don’t you have work today?”

Vincent slapped his forehead and groaned, “I do! I’ve missed so much these past few months. Quinn’s probably thinking of canning my ass!”

Needing to calm his mate, Mason grabbed the smaller hand and rubbed the thumb. “That wouldn’t be so bad.”

“What?” asked Vincent. He looked as if he had been insulted.

“You know you don’t have to work, right? I make enough from the farm to live pretty comfortably.”

“I know that,” Vincent declared, “but what would I do? That leaves me with a lot of spare time.”

Mason shrugged. “I’m sure there’s something that won’t limit you to a schedule.”

The idea must have interested his mate as Vincent rested an elbow on the island. “Like how you do with the farm. I’ll have to think about it, but it does sound nice. I don’t know the first thing about agriculture though.”

“I’m not saying you have to work on the farm. Pretty sure Mom would kill to hire you at the library.”

“The library!” exclaimed Vincent. “That’d be awesome! I still want time to think, but I’ll ask her tomorrow when she mops the floor with me.”

He snickered. “Speaking of, what’s the next major learning curve? Yakob told you to explore the world, but what’s Mom’s plan?”

“I don’t know, but I’d like to figure out how transference works.”

Unsure of the term’s meaning, Mason grinned. “Sounds like a plan.” They finished breakfast and loaded the dishwasher before getting ready to tackle their day.

***

Meeting with Henry provided expected results. From the overnight autopsy, Ingle’s suspicions were confirmed; Shaw was shot twice. An FBI investigative team was scheduled to arrive later in the afternoon. Mason made a point to revisit the station to see if there were any members of the supernatural community. Best to give a warm welcome, especially if they’re assisting my territory.

To his delight, he met with a few lycans from the team. After filling them in regards to Shaw’s mission, they understood the alpha’s dedication for finding the ones responsible.

What unnerved Mason was the fact half of the police force made the suspect list. Going off the possible options for what Shaw was trying to write, it could be a first or last name. Fortunately, both the FBI team’s leader and Henry agreed to add Dirk to the investigation. Having the former NYSP Head Enforcer around was a pure benefit. Dirk hastily accepted and reported for duty, ensuring Mason he would receive a daily report. Leaving the station, the alpha was relieved.

Still, I know Ingle and Vinnie will let it linger in their minds. Hell, I can’t let it sit! Remorse trickled in. I’m the one who asked him to be my eyes and ears on Stefan. But… what else was I supposed to do? Reaching his truck, he leaned against the passenger door. His confidence plummeted. This is all my fault. I asked him to go on a suicide mission, and it look how it fuckin’ ended!

No fault.

Hearing his wolf’s thoughts did little to soothe the frustration. Sorry, but I think you’re wrong. I should’ve called Shaw off the moment Stefan handed Vinnie the cell phone.

No, wrong. Human still be in mage’s grasp. Human… he dead no matter what.

His second conscious spoke the truth, but it didn’t do much to sway his opinion. Then why do I feel responsible?

Human work with you to help mate. Shaw good man. That is why.

Thinking clearly for a moment, Mason smiled weakly. He was doing everything an alpha was supposed to do. Patience was the only hindrance. This’ll take some time. No one solves a murder in less than a day, I suppose. Guess I should head to the farm and clear my head.

***

A smooth arm draped over his chest, waking him. Peeping through his eyelids, Kaplan quickly closed them, smiled, and inched closer to the man behind him. The action did not go unnoticed as a low growl filled his ear. “Now Kaplan. If you get any closer, I won’t be held accountable for what follows.”

The warm breath tickled his neck as Kaplan chuckled, “You said the same thing last night.”

“And you know what happened after that, my pup.”

The lycan rolled over to face Cyrus. He saw the flash of emerald in the ursus’ eyes. Cyrus lifted a dark hand and caressed Kaplan’s cheek. “Isn’t it a shame we have to get to work?”

Kaplan smirked. “I guess I can’t clear your schedule. You still need to pack your bags.”

Rolling away, an arm rested over Cyrus’ eyes. He groaned, “I’d almost rather purchase new clothes.”

“If it helps, I already sent several of your suits to the cleaners. All you need is your essentials.” Scooting upward, the beta laid his head on the large pectoral. “I just wish I could go with you.”

“As do I,” whispered Cyrus. “But it’s necessary for you to stay. Moore isn’t ready to be left by himself and Tierney departed yesterday for Owensville.”

Nestling into the bigger man’s body, Kaplan treasured the contact. He’s right; Moore’s not ready for that level of pressure. Maybe this time next year, but Cy’ll need me to act in his place. It’s only for five days. He sighed. “I understand. Just hurry back, okay?”

“I will, my mate.” Cyrus kissed the lycan’s temple and muttered, “I’ll be home before you know it. Shall we tackle the day?”

He reluctantly agreed and inched out of the massive bed. Aiming for the bathroom, Kaplan flicked the lightswitch and turned the sink’s knob. He wet his hands and swiped the black hair out of his face. Lifting his chin, a sense of accomplishment washed over him. The mangled teeth marks on both sides reminded him of the best night of his life. The purple bruise was fading away. He should freshen it before he leaves.

After brushing his teeth, he returned to the bedroom and opened a drawer to retrieve a pair of boxers. It took rearranging but they managed to squeeze Kaplan’s clothes in Cyrus’ spaces. I’ll start looking for a new place for us while he’s away. I told him it’d be a tight fit, but he wanted me to move in.

Kaplan strolled into the open-concept kitchen to see Cyrus talking on the phone. He noticed a few pans on the stove, along with the carton of eggs. Smiling, he grabbed a mixing bowl from the cabinet and continued his mate’s original task. As he whisked, he eavesdropped.

“Yes… Are you sure? Very well, I’ll think of a few options on the flight… I understand, Councilman… Yes, I look forward to seeing you as well.” Hanging up, Cyrus rolled his neck and turned to see Kaplan. “You didn’t have to pick up where I left off.”

“I wanted to. Besides, that sounded important.”

“It is and isn’t at the same time. Vernon thought it would be conducive to have me assist with creating this year’s North American game.”

Kaplan scowled. “Isn’t that cheating? You’ll be participating in the game yourself.”

“That’s the challenge, isn’t it?” giggled Cyrus. “I believe I know the proper solution though. The only thing I need is for the correct pieces to fall in line.”

He saw the conniving grin on the panda’s face and chuckled. He loves to plan. Just hope he makes the game fair for everyone now that he’s involved with the set-up. With the eggs poured in the skillet, he set his sights on the chicken sausage in the fridge. “As long as the alphas have something to do, it will be fine.”

“Ah, but it has to be entertaining! We can’t have the lively ones finding their own amusement.”

Understanding the particular conundrum, Kaplan asked, “Could the EC provide an incentive for everyone to stay focused?”

“Incentive?” inquired Cyrus. “Most of the alphas already have everything one could want.” As if a lightbulb lit inside his mind, Cyrus grinned and pointed upward. “Perhaps we offer them something no alpha can deny!”

“What are you thinkin’?”

The panda giggled and nuzzled the lycan’s neck. “Oh, I can’t reveal the secrets of the game, my pup. I know you wouldn’t tell a soul, but I simply can’t risk it. Many alphas are quite competitive and will do anything for the slightest hint at what’s in store each year.”

Reclining into the massive body, Kaplan nearly forgot about the meat. “How about you get ready and I’ll have breakfast done by the time you finish packing.”

“Very well. Call for me if you need a hand.” Cyrus traced Kaplan’s hip before going back to the bedroom. Looking back, the lycan licked his lips as the naked alpha walked away.

***

The flight to London was uneventful, other than a little girl staring at him. Cyrus giggled and waved politely, forcing the child to look away with a pout. Lovely little thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if she thinks I’m a monster. Numerous times, he caught the girl’s glance and did his best to offer nothing but kindness. On the third attempt, Cyrus earned a small wave after the mother whispered in the girl’s ear.

Departing the exit, he quickly found his chauffeur. “Ah, Roxanne! It’s good to see you again!”

The meek and slender lady bent her neck as he approached. “Good afternoon, Mister Vonder. Are you ready to depart?”

“Quite.” He followed Roxanne through Heathrow and into a black sedan. Ignoring the sights, Cyrus pulled his phone and sent a text to Kaplan, informing him of his safe arrival. On the way, he went through a flurry of emails regarding a few districts within his pack. The transition has been smooth on the general membership. Staggs and Bushol’s areas are uneasy, but that’s to be expected with new council members. With another text, he informed Kaplan of their difficulty and advised potential assistance. If anything, I’ll help when I come home.

Cyrus smiled. Home. The word was long forgotten from his personal dictionary. Haven’t called anywhere home since Oranjemund.

“We’re here, Alpha,” stated Roxanne.

Glancing up, Cyrus grinned as he exited the vehicle. “Thank you, Roxanne. It’s always a pleasure seeing you. Just have my suitcase brought to my hotel room, would you?” He waved as she drove off.

The panda gripped his briefcase, giggled, and walked toward the Executive Council’s headquarters. Entering, an unfamiliar receptionist stood, submitted, and greeted him. “Good morning! How may I direct you, sir?”

“Oh that’s all right,” Cyrus quipped, “I know my way around the place. Would you mind telling me what happened to dear Jillian?”

“I, er… she retired a few months ago.”

“What shame! I wasn’t invited to the party? She worked here for, what… fifty-seven years?” He scoffed with a smile. “You have big shoes to fill Miss…”

The receptionist gleamed. “Roswell! Sophia Roswell, sir. You worked here?”

“Yes,” answered Cyrus, “I’m Cyrus, Miss Roswell.”

“Cy-Cyrus! Alpha Vonder?” she exclaimed before bending her neck for the second time. “It’s-it’s an honor to meet you!”

“My dear, please calm yourself!” He swiftly closed the distance and palmed her hand. “First thing you’ll learn is to throw out the titles with me. Secondly, it’s an honor to meet you. You do a fine job as the greeter. I’m sure Jillian trained you well before she left. Now, am I correct to assume the GS is in the grand conference room as usual?”

“I, yes! Yes, it is.”

Cyrus dipped his head and left Sophia to her amazement. I do hope she settles down a bit. If she keeps up that enthusiasm, Antonin won’t keep her around long. He giggled as the elevator closed. He was always the fuddy-duddy.

At the tone, the doors opened and Cyrus advanced. Roaming the hallways brought fond memories forward. Ah, my bear! Remember sitting in that room years ago; when we were taking our final auditory exams?

Yes. Test easy.

I agree. Oh, and over there is where we met Vernon for the first time!

“Alpha Vonder!”

Reacting to the call, Cyrus saw the conference room ahead, only to be blocked by a familiar face. “Herr Meyer! A pleasure!” Closing in, the men shook hands. “Are we the first to arrive?”

“Nein, I was going to smoke and wait for others. Robin and Michiko are here, but we are waiting for about fifteen more.”

Cyrus giggled, “At least I wasn’t the only late one!”

The two went out for a cigarette. They saw other attendees enter, and when ten passed by, the two alphas assumed it was best to join them. Reentering the conference room, they took neighboring chairs.

Then they sat. After fifteen minutes, the panda debated whether to make the motion to begin without the absent six leaders. Ridiculous! He eyed the EC table ahead and caught Bylus’ gaze. Humorously, Cyrus rolled his eyes, earning a stifled chuckle from the beta. Five more minutes went by and only a few trickled in.

He cleared his throat and rose, garnering everyone’s attention. “Pardon me, but I’d like to make an observation to begin this summit.”

Bylus stood as well. “We are still missing a few bodies, Alpha Vonder.”

“Clearly, but like my fellow leaders in attendance, we were capable of appearing in a timely manner. Five or ten minutes is understandable, but the itinerary sent to us stated this meeting was to begin half an hour ago.”

“I agree,” stated Michiko through her translation device. “At any point, our packs and flocks could call requesting guidance. Before we begin, I make the motion to add an agenda item regarding tardiness. If a leader of the Global Summit’s caliber can’t arrive at a meeting on time, then there must be a penalty.”

“I second the motion,” said Cyrus firmly. I’m glad she started it. Don’t need to be the spoiled new alpha on the block.

Bylus’ closed lips twitched. “Motion is heard and seconded. All in favor?” Every attendee raised a hand. “Unanimous. Michiko, do you intend to spearhead this new item?”

“Yes, Councilman.”

A thin smile appeared on the leader of Japan, but Cyrus knew better. Behind the slender figure and straightened, brown hair stood a formidable aves. I’ve seen her in action. That sea hawk has taken out her fair share of lycan over the years.

“Very well,” continued Bylus, “This year’s Global Summit is underway. Let’s start with the fun stuff, shall we? While we wait for the tardy leaders, each continent will group up and concoct this year's games!”

Smirking, Cyrus scanned the room. There’s Sandoval and Demers. I faintly recall Tierney saying the lower countries usually send an agreed representative, but I’m not sure who it is. Abandoning his seat, he traversed the room and gathered with his fellow leaders.

With his slicked, black hair, Sandoval was the first to turn and nudged Demers’ broad shoulder. “Ah,” Sandoval bellowed, “I heard the whispers, but to see it is enlightening! Scott really has retired?”

“Yes. Alpha Sandoval, I presume?”

“Shit, Sandy!” The Canadian raked his thin hair. “You do know who this guy is, right?”

“No, no I’m afraid not.”

The panda outstretched his hand. “Cyrus Vonder. I didn’t have the pleasure of evaluating you when I was an auditor.” Watching carefully, he noticed Sandoval’s approaching palm faltered before landing in Cyrus’. “Don’t be fretful. My auditing days are behind me. Is it just us this year?”

“Afraid so,” Demers answered. “There was some tension south of Sandy’s territory, so he offered to come in their stead while they hash out their issues. Did yous get the same call from Vern a couple days ago?”

“How we needed to start brainstorming?” asked Sandoval. “Yep. With everything going on, I haven’t had much time. You two?”

“I’ve never been a creative one. Anytime we do interpack activities, it’s always my beta who comes up with the concept.”

Cyrus brandished his phone and opened the typed notes. “On the flight over, I created a plan but it needs some fine touches to the rules and how the game should be played. Mind if I share the file?”

Both men nodded and grabbed their laptops. Taking a corner of the room, they huddled. Showing his screen, Cyrus pointed at a few lines. “What do you think about this?”

Demers’ irises followed the document and flashed gray momentarily. “I think you’re onto something…” he muttered.

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 44
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



12 hours ago, astone2292 said:

It feels right being back in this series. I'm hesitant to call this the last book in the series. There's temptation to create sidestories (can't recall who said it in a RitS chapter comment, but Zombies in the Shadows is definitely still on the table). 

Of course you're thrilled to be back in Owensville, Patch! I made sure to show a little Kaplan/Cyrus cuddle time just for you :)

That was me @astone2292!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

Well, now I got egg on my face. I've had this on my mind every since you mentioned it!!

I think subconsciously you knew it was me which is why you mentioned it in your reply to my comment. I'm also rather pleased that you have that story title gently steaming on a back-burner somewhere!

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by HBO Max

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Howzat said:

I think subconsciously you knew it was me which is why you mentioned it in your reply to my comment. I'm also rather pleased that you have that story title gently steaming on a back-burner somewhere!

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by HBO Max

I genuinely couldn't remember who said it, but this whole scenario is absolutely hilarious! Also, I love that GIF! It's so similar to one I use regularly. 

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

  • Love 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..