Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 4,080 Words
  • 2,953 Views
  • 38 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 8. Chapter 8: Psychotic Plunge

Judging from Mason’s frown, he wasn’t the happiest with the idea. “Mace?”

The alpha’s grip on Vincent’s hand tightened slightly. “That’s a… That’s a big decision, Vinnie. Are you sure?”

“I dismissed it when it was offered, but it came back to me just now. I can be anywhere in minutes. It makes sense to use that power to do some kind of good, right?”

“I see your point.”

Vincent could smell Mason’s nervousness. “Are you worried I’ll be in danger?”

The driver nodded.

“Mace, if there’s hunters out there, we’ll always be in danger. It just seems wrong to use my magic just for our area.”

Mason took back his hand, and pulled to the side of the road. Vincent stared at him as a tear fell down his mate’s face. “I… I can’t lose you.”

The sadness and fear overwhelmed his senses and bond. He’s really bothered by this.

Mate sad. No make mate sad!

Patting Mason’s thigh, Vincent whispered, “I didn’t mean to upset you. I was weighing the idea and your input was the deciding factor, okay?”

Mason sniffled and wiped his eyes. “N-no, I’m sorry. With everything going on, I overreacted.”

“No, you didn’t. Dirk just lost Sarah. It’s natural to want to protect me.” To ensure he was being heard, Vincent grabbed both of Mason’s hands. “Let’s get through this mess, then we’ll talk about it. I’m sure there’s something I could do that doesn’t involve violence.”

After a visible gulp, Mason nodded again. They kissed and resumed their drive. Vincent never took his hand away.

Once home, he raided the fridge and pantry, but Mason’s lingering feelings were dampening the mood. None of this seems right.

What do mean?

Mace’s upset, Dirk lost his mate, Ingle’s off doing who knows what. I… I’m not doing my job!

Job?

I’m the Mated Alpha. Mace told me that means I’m the pack’s mother. Three of the members are not themselves.

Right! Need fix!

He turned and slapped the countertop. “We got work to do!”

The sudden action surprised Mason. “W-what?”

“Dirk and Ingle need support, big guy. Time for the Mated Alpha to get off his ass and do something.”

Mason chuckled. “As much as you’re right, I’m not sure poking a sad bear and an angry wolf would be productive.”

“Still…”

“How about we invite them over for a run?”

Vincent clapped his hands. “Perfect!”

Rolling his eyes, Mason grabbed his phone. “You’re way too excited for this.” A few minutes later, he received confirmations from both of the shifters. “They’re on their way. This might work out. Ingle can blow off some steam while Dirk can hang back with us.”

***

Why did I agree to this?

Friends want to help.

Yeah, I guess. Parking in Mason’s driveway, he saw headlights in his rearview mirror. Jeep model. That’s Ingle. He smiled. At least he’s here. Not sure if I could put up with Vincent’s cheery attitude all by myself.

Turned human nice. He—

What? He’s trying to keep our minds off Sarah? Snorting, he unbuckled his seatbelt and opened the door. Sorry, but that’s not happening.

If be angry, don’t be at friends.

That’s… Biting his lip, he gave in. Right. They don’t deserve that. Just keep it in, and try to accept the offered help.

Yes, good.

“Dirk!”

Hearing his name called, he looked behind him and saw Ingle approaching. Seeing his fellow officer unharmed relieved him. “Thank the gods,” he whispered as he embraced the lycan. “You good?”

“Yeah. I shifted the second I got home. How… How you holdin’ up?”

Dirk shrugged. “As well as a man who shot the love of his life could be.”

“C’mon, man. I didn’t mean it like that.”

Watching the man pocket his hands, Dirk shook his head. “Sorry. I’m okay, I guess. Just trying to push past it.”

Ingle looked like he was going to respond, but he looked to the road. A black MKX had its turning signal on. Tierney. Probably was invited to keep me in line.

No. He worry about us too.

Right…

The vehicle parked and its owner got out. “Who all was invited to this hunt?”

The bear could tell Tierney was being serious. “I’m starting to think our new alphas can’t leave well-enough alone.”

“Perhaps, but it’s better than being left alone. Best to be around others who can support you.”

“Even if I want to be alone? I’m not like you wolves. Bears can handle being by themselves.” Losing his temper, Dirk walked towards the treeline behind the house.

He barely registered Ingle’s yell as it was cut off. Tierney’s voice was barely audible. “Let him be. The last thing we need is him angry.”

Damn right! Just need a gods be-damned minute to myself! Nearing the forest, he peeled his shirt off and flung it. He managed to remove his shoes and drop trou before feeling another set of eyes on him. Fuckin’— “What?”

Turning, he saw Vincent on the porch. Dirk stared intensely. He didn’t care if it was his new Alpha’s mate or not. Growling, the bear kicked free of his pants and shifted. He felt his spirit distancing itself. C’mon.

Friends wanted—

Our friends wanted to force me to follow them. As if they know how we feel! Sprinting, he took refuge in the woods. Passing the trees, he cared little if bark scraped against his fur. His rage bubbled. They can’t know. They’ll never know!

No, they—

And what’s with you, huh? Do you even feel my emotions?

Yes! We lose mate, but she—

She’s dead. We killed her! Put a bullet in the back of her fuckin’ head!

Mate shoot friend. Calm d—

Dirk stopped running. Breathless, he dug his claws into the earth. Don’t you even think about telling me to calm down, bear.

Must! Anger strong.

Yeah… And I’ve never felt better.

No mean.

Oh, I mean it. I feel the blood pumping through my veins. The wind through my hair.

Need help.

I need you to shut up! He roared at the top of his lungs.

Dirk heard distant rustling, and smelled prey. Deer. Perfect! He sped towards the sound.

No… His bear’s spirit was weak inside his mind. No, you need shut up.

Excuse me?

Friends want to help. You say no. I want help. You say no. Now… I say no.

Dirk’s knee gave out as it snapped out of place. He tumbled to the ground from the running momentum. The pain was excruciating! He howled as the fur slowly receded into his skin. Bear! What… what are you doing?

An arm contorted and shrunk to his human form. The shift was unwelcome, both mentally and physically. The delta fell to his side, screaming in agony. “Bear!”

There was no response. Gritting his teeth, he tried to revert his spirit’s action to no avail. With tears in his eyes, Dirk roamed his hands and dug his fingers into the dense soil. He was desperate. Find… Gotta find the earth’s beat!

Nothing. He cried out hopelessly. He couldn’t feel the earth’s heartbeat like he did during his Turning Day. Bear! Bear?

Clenching the dirt, the rage reemerged. His bear had abandoned him. He lost his animal form. He shunned everyone around him. There was no one to blame but himself.

The anger festered, and it boiled inside his chest. Feeling his shift was finished, Dirk stumbled to his feet. His vision turned red. The clumps in his hands grew harder by the second. Every muscle trembled as he yelled.

Opening his eyes, he saw the tree in front of him was on fire.

W-what? My… I set the tree on fire? My magic. My magic! It’s here!

“Vin!”

“On it!”

Before Dirk could turn, he was slammed to the ground. Seething, he froze. Tierney was on top of him. The crimson left his vision. “T-Tierney?” His voice weakened, as did his body. It was as if his energy was being sucked away. With a gasp, he blacked out.

***

His eyelids fluttered. I’m… awake? Dirk stirred, but couldn’t move. He looked down, finding himself bound by a strand of black material. Following it, he saw Vincent. The ursus’ breath hitched.

He’s… He’s full of magic! Just like from his dance! The long, brown hair was frosted, his skin was pale, and the alpha’s irises were glowing blue with the whites of his eyes black.

“Dirk.”

He sluggishly turned his head. “T-Tierney.” Taking in his surroundings, he found himself in Mason’s backyard. It’s so dark! It’s gotta be around midnight.

A blur was met with a searing pain on his cheek. His former alpha’s eyes were glistening red. He’s angry, but he’s crying?

“What happened to you?”

“I… I-I don’t know.”

He was hit again. “No. You think, and tell me.”

“Damn… That actually hurt,” Dirk muttered.

“Excuse me? Has your bear lost its edge?”

M-my bear! Bear! He bit his lip, eager to hear his animal.

Nothing. Dirk cringed and tilted his head back. “My… my bear’s gone.”

“What?”

“I… I was so angry. I lost control of my bear form. He…” Dirk choked. “My bear forced a shift. It hurt so much. It hurt like a first shift.”

Tierney stepped back slowly. “My gods.”

“Ty?” Vincent looked for guidance.

“You went feral.”

Time stood still, and his world came crashing down. “F-feral? But I lost my bear. That doesn’t make sense!.”

Shaking his head, Tierney knelt. “You’re not hearing me. You went feral, Dirk.”

“Wait,” Vincent interjected, “the human mind can go feral?”

Tierney nodded. “Either mind is susceptible. Whichever one goes crazy, the other form may rescind to the dark corners of the subconscious, leaving the current form stranded.”

Dirk’s breathing quivered. Just as he shut his eyes in disbelief, a faint banging caught his attention. He saw Mason leaning out of the door frame, mouthing words. “What did he just say?”

“You didn’t hear him?” asked Vincent.

Tierney sighed. “No, he didn’t. Mace came in loud and clear to us. Dirk wouldn’t have been able to hear it without his bear.”

The ursus cringed. “I can’t hear?”

“Or see, or smell. All of your senses have been reduced. Not quite to human standards, but just above it. You probably think it’s pretty late.”

“It’s midnight, right?”

“Try eight-thirty. Mace just finished cooking dinner for us.”

Dirk’s vision shook. Looking at the ground, he tried to accept his new changes. M-my bear. Please… Please come back to me.

His plea went unanswered. Resigned to his fate, he stared at his bindings, then the charged mage holding them. “Vincent? What’s going on?”

Vincent scowled. “You don’t remember?”

“I… I set a tree on fire. But, then I passed out.”

“That’s why I hit you,” said Tierney. “Your feral rampage was enough to trigger your fire magic. Your little hissy-fit could’ve burned down Mason’s woods.”

“But why is Vincent full of magic?”

“Because I took all of your energy.”

Dirk’s attention peaked. “What? But how come you’re not charged?”

“I was. Until Vincent could put out your fires, I had to hold it all in until I could transfer it to him. Your fury must’ve been something, because I nearly went over my cap, and after the transfer, it filled the last three beads of his bracelet plus made Vin look like a demon.

“Now, are you going to behave if we let you free.”

Dirk nodded. “Yes, Alpha.” The shadows around his body retracted, allowing him to breathe easier. “I’m sorry, Mated Alpha.”

“It’s okay—”

“No, it’s not. I challenged your authority before I shifted, and I damaged your personal forest.”

A chilling hand rested on his shoulder. “Dirk, it’s no big deal. All things considered, I shouldn't have asked you to come. I’m not used to bears and how they deal with stress. My wolf and I wanted to make sure you knew you could rely on us. If I didn’t have you come, you’d probably still have your bear.”

Dirk swallowed and shook. “No, I don’t think so. I was already having arguments with him at the scene. I… I think it was inevitable.”

The mage frowned. “Head on inside, guys. I’m going to head to Antarctica and release some of my energy real fast. Don’t need a frozen forest this time of year.”

A snicker came from Tierney. He walked towards the house singing, “Let it go. Let it go!”

Vincent’s sneer lightened Dirk’s depression. Antarctica. That kid’s gonna freeze. He followed Tierney, apologized to Mason for his behavior, and graciously accepted a plate. Grabbing three cheeseburgers and a heaping pile of fries, he sat between Ingle and the two alphas. Tossing a fry into his mouth, something was immediately off-putting. This doesn’t… Right, senses. Spotting the salt shaker on the counter, he grabbed it, but caught the concerned glares from Mason and Ingle. “What? Can’t a feral ursus use some salt?”

Both uninformed lycans were skeptical of the statement, but Tierney explained while Dirk ate the food with disinterest. It tastes nothing like before. Were my taste buds that attuned? Is… Is this what a human tastes?

Am… Am I a human now? The thought lingered after he finished off a burger and half of the fries. He couldn’t understand his own appetite. There’s no way. I’m getting full! I… I need to finish one more burger. He powered through it, but he was miserable. Offering the final patty to Ingle, he resigned to the backyard again. As he reached the patio, he barely heard Vincent’s voice in the kitchen. Must’ve had a lot of magic to dump. Maybe he could help save the polar bears or something.

The joke provided a desperately needed laugh as he sat on the steps.

My bear. I never knew how much I needed you. Since you’ve left, I’ve gone through hell. I can’t hear my friends, I can’t taste my food, I can’t see my surroundings… I’m lost. I’m lost without you.

Please come back.

***

Leaving the house to release the pool of stored magic, Vincent gritted his teeth. The whole situation with Dirk weighed heavily on the alpha’s mind. It isn’t fair. It’s not fair!

What fair?

It’s not fair for Dirk! He was handed his destined mate on a silv… Shaking his head, he reconsidered his words. He was handed Sarah to be with him, and this is what happens? How?

Destiny goddess?

Yeah, but how could Aliz allow such a thing? The way Mace explained it, Aliz, Dinbe, and Yir came to a mutual understanding that there would be destined mates for all shifters. They’re to provide the hope for everlasting love and happiness.

But Sarah bad mate.

And that’s the problem. Following his compass, he spotted the icelands and halted along the shore. Even with his magic fully charged, the breeze was brisk. Destined mates are supposed to be perfect for each other. How Dirk could be paired with a hunter is baffling! Vincent snarled and blasted energy from both palms. He unleashed snow and ice onto the landscape while he thought. It’s so fucking stupid! Who allowed this to happen?

Aliz. Goddess lady. Can talk to?

The streams of magic stopped as Vincent curled a smile. Bud, you’re a genius!

Lady Aliz!

When he didn’t gather a response, he prayed again.

Nothing. I mean, it makes sense. She hasn’t possessed me yet. So… I got two options.

One of them seemed more reasonable for the situation. Lord Bol?

Young… Ah. The deep and stern tone unsettled him and his wolf. You’ve become an alpha shapeshifter. I am surprised it took this long for you to contact me.

It’s only been a few months.

I forget time works differently for your world.

Vincent growled. Not really looking for small talk.

I know. It is rather humorous you have a demand for my sister.

It’s not funny! You weren’t involved in the creation of destined mates, but you have to do something about Dirk.

Is this Dirk the bear within your recent memories? While I do not play games, shapeshifter, I resonate with the ones protecting you. Name the reason I am required to assist.

The demand stumped him. Why would the god of order be forced to act upon Dirk’s predicament? Rather than spending the time to consult his other mind, Vincent’s wolf growled. Dirk friend! You gods make destined mate, but got wrong!

Joining his alter-ego, Vincent hopped on the bandwagon. Th-that’s right! Dirk found his destined mate, and was forced to kill her to protect others. Aliz, Dinbe, and Yir should be held responsible.

A silence was left in response. As Vincent stared off into the arctic wasteland, he checked the bracelet’s stores. It was still full, but the last bead was graying.

He was startled when Bol hummed. An interesting conundrum. I must—

Bol grunted, cutting his sentence.

Bol? Lord Bol?

Vincent worried when the god didn’t return. He spun. The icy land was the same. Something’s wrong.

Turning again, he was blinded. There was no flash, but Antarctica disappeared into a sea of white. Panicking, Vincent grew more and more confused. Everywhere he looked was nothing but white. Where did we go?

Not know, but strange. No feel danger.

Yeah, I felt that too. I can’t see or smell anything! It’s just freakin’ white here. It’s like a photographer’s set. He took a few steps, but was bothered again. No sound either? “Hello?”

Hear self speak, but no hear self move. No like!

Yeah. Lord Bol? Can you hear me? When he heard nothing, he went for broke. Lady Terik?

“They can not hear you here.”

The sudden voice shocked him! He pivoted and flicked his arm to spawn a dagger. But the weapon did not form. Vincent’s heart pounded as his magic failed and he laid eyes on a young, tall, and bald woman.

Her skin was dark as night, and she was naked, only robed by a thin and wavering white ribbon wrapped around her nether regions. The bosom was supple, and her irises were piercing aquamarine. She stood still; her posture stoic.

In desperation, he partially shifted an arm to have some sort of defense. The opponent didn’t flinch. She came out of nowhere… while we’re in nowhere?

Woman say god no hear us. Why?

While studying her, he tried to analyze the situation. Gods can’t hear me here. I can’t see or hear anything but myself and her. He inhaled sharply. No…

No?

Vincent’s lip quivered. There was only one solution. He whispered, “Lady Ceresa?”

The woman smiled.

His hand reverted as Vincent fell to his knees. He knew it. Thoughts of Mason, Dave, Caleb, and all of his friends flashed before his very eyes. Every finger went cold as he tried to understand his fate. “How… How did I die?”

The goddess approached slowly. “Dear shapeshifter. I apologize, but you are mistaken. You are not dead, and I am not my sister.”

Relief flooded throughout him. Vincent’s breath hitched. “You’re not the goddess of death? That means…”

Kneeling to his level, she held open her palms and summoned a silver orb and a black one. Vincent alternated glances between them, trying to decide if they were dangerous. His wolf urged him to calm down.

“I’ve had my eye on you, Vincent Bolton. Your destiny has been an odd one. So many have intertwined with yours in such a short time. Some for the better, and some worse.”

“Dirk’s?”

Aliz moved the black sphere to be between them. “His has yet to see its fruition.”

“How’s that possible? He met his mate.”

“And then killed her. I admit, it puzzled me. Before bringing you here, I scoured the branches and peered at every outcome. The one he chose… bleak, but Bol would be proud of the bear.”

Vincent had a million questions lined up for her. All he could think of was his friend. “Is there anything you can do?”

She tilted her head briefly. “I can not adjust a destiny. I merely watch and push them if required.”

“Then why did Lord Bol and Lady Terik possess me?”

“They’ve deemed it… necessary to attach themselves to yours. I can’t stop them, unless they become disruptive. I don’t have faith in my sister, but Bol knows the rules.”

Scanning the environment once more, Vincent asked, “Where are we?”

Aliz rose and raised her hands, letting the orbs float away. After a few seconds, she fanned her arms out slowly. Vincent gasped as the spheres multiplied in an instant. They littered the white vastness around them. Their order seemed random, according to the mage’s observation.

“You’re in my realm. I watch the destinies from here with no disturbance, and I evaluate which are worthy of attention.”

Standing, he tried to understand. “They look like they’re filled with fuzzy static.”

“Ah, yes. To a mortal, they are simple objects. But I see histories, current actions, and premonitions.” She flicked a hand and curled a finger. One of the destinies hovered toward her. “This one… A woman in Belgium is about to give birth. I see three possibilities for her offspring. One ends healthily with a long family lineage. Another is a rather plain outcome, riddled with bills and dead-end jobs. The final results in the offspring committing suicide at a young age.”

Appalled, Vincent shook his head. “That’s awful!”

“The destiny doesn’t end there.” When she glanced over, she gestured for Vincent to come closer. Stroking the destiny, the silver surface rippled like water. “That’s when I look deeper. If the last outcome happens, the mother will be overcome with grief, but she channels it. She uses the emotion to become an influential speaker for the troubled youth. Because of her loss, she saves the lives of hundreds. No… thousands.

“So the question is whether I should sway the destiny. What would you say, Vincent?”

Struck by the sudden proposition, the alpha felt the weight of the world on his shoulders. “I…”

“The baby will be born in a few minutes. I require an answer.”

“The last one,” he blurted. The gravity of his choice landed. I... Did I just sentence someone's child to die? Tucking in his bottom lip, he tried to fight the incoming tears.

Aliz prodded the sphere, flicked it away, then stared at him. “I chose the second option.”

Vincent was dizzy and nauseous. “Why?”

“Your world can not be filled with tragedy and the success that follows. That defeats the power of perseverance. If I allowed every miracle, emotional magic would disappear. Without sadness, there is no opportunity for redemption. Without that, then there is no hope.

“Then there’s your destiny.”

His throat dried. “Mine?”

“Yes. I can not see a particular scene, but I see the outcomes. I understand my brother and sister’s concern, and as long as they don’t interfere, they can continue to tinker in the background. Because of the obscure cloud, I fear to sway the destiny itself for I won’t know what I would be swaying. All I ask is for you to prepare yourself. The day will come, but I can not tell when.”

“You can’t see when I’ll fight Stefan?”

She shook her head. “The cloud blocking my vision moves with the destiny. You wait, and the cloud follows.”

Vincent understood. “I can take my time.”

“Do not play with destiny, shapeshifter!” Her voice palpitated. “I can not assist you. Hear, and know that. I can not control the outcome. Toy long enough, and the destiny will go down a drastic or unpredictable path.”

Shaking, he nodded. “G-got it.”

Aliz clapped, and all of the surrounding destinies vanished. “I heard your conversation with my brother. The bear’s destiny differs from most, but not as much as yours.”

Vincent closed his eyes, accepting Dirk’s fate. “He’s gone through so much.”

She lifted his chin. The blue irises shimmered as he gazed into them. “Patience. Tell him to be patient. Now… blink.”

He studied her for a moment, then obeyed. With no transition, he was back in Antarctica. Turning in a circle, his curiosity spiked. Taking off his shoe and sock, he pulled up his pant leg. The bitter cold was troublesome, even with his frost magic.

Shifting his leg, he saw a third band had formed on his calf's fur.

After clothing his foot, he sped back to Kentucky. Gotta tell Dirk!

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 45
  • Wow 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



5 hours ago, Kitt said:

I am thinking this situation will further Dirks goal as expressed in chapter 2, be. Ice to humans. He will get to see how the human half live.

I am thinking a.total of 7 visits.from the gods. Six.stripes, with the 7th connecting them all, effectively giving him a sock!

Wizard of Oz socks of the …Lollipop Kids!

  • Haha 5
Link to comment

A chapter with so many emotions just bubbling under the surface.  Vincent meets another goddess, Aliz.  She warns him not to wait too long; but what is too long?  

Dirk loses contact with his spirit; but it has to still be there.  What will he have to do to bring himself back in harmony with it, and can he do it?  

Mason is trying too hard perhaps to hold onto Vincent.  He knows that the outcome of the fight is not set; but protecting Vincent too much will not prepare him for what is to come.  

Great read, can't wait for the next update.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, astone2292 said:

I wasn't expecting to make Dirk go feral, but my fingertips wrote it... so here it is! The result was harsh, but his bear is now absent. So that takes away everything that makes him a bear: appetite, senses. The question is how human is he now? Does he need to start going to the gym? Thicc Dirk, anyone?!

Lmao! A sock! That's funny. I'm not sure how many more celestial encounters we'll see from here on out. 

I love your comments, Philippe!

Well there’s those evil fingers at it again….. No, ahhh 😱, who has the mostest, evilest, fingers when allowed free Reign of Keydom?

Keep knitting that darned seven-level sock, we need the full credit for visiting the Wizard of Oz!

What? Was it something I said? Around my circles people tend to appreciate what I DON’T SAY!! 😂 

 

 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

A chapter with so many emotions just bubbling under the surface.  Vincent meets another goddess, Aliz.  She warns him not to wait too long; but what is too long?  

Dirk loses contact with his spirit; but it has to still be there.  What will he have to do to bring himself back in harmony with it, and can he do it?  

Mason is trying too hard perhaps to hold onto Vincent.  He knows that the outcome of the fight is not set; but protecting Vincent too much will not prepare him for what is to come.  

Great read, can't wait for the next update.

How long is too long? Good question, but I doubt Aliz would be able to answer. Let's just assume Vincent needs to fight Stefan within the next five years :P. Thanks for commenting centex!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Philippe said:

Well, with seven bits minted thus far….we could ascend Vinsy to a godly level of 8 bits; excuse me God of Eight, why then do you only have seven rings on your ankle? 😝

Would he then be allowed to walk among mere mortals? Or would the place setting at the end of the table be forever masked in the fog of shadow smoke?

Eight would make two bucks, but no Cern.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, astone2292 said:

I forkin' love your take on Aliz! I think of her as a data analyst/babysitter. She looks at EVERYONE'S destinies and guides them along, ensuring we don't get too many dictators, or vigilantes, or innovators in our world

A friend's wife used to go to this fortune-teller who called herself Madame Sonia. It made him so mad she was wasting money on the con artist.

He went with her to her final visit and told Sonia he could predict the future too. He told her he predicted her house would burn down and for enough money he'd predict whether she'd be in it or not.

What's funny about this story is two weeks later it did burn down.

  • Wow 4
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

A friend's wife used to go to this fortune-teller who called herself Madame Sonia. It made him so mad she was wasting money on the con artist.

He went with her to her final visit and told Sonia he could predict the future too. He told her he predicted her house would burn down and for enough money he'd predict whether she'd be in it or not.

What's funny about this story is two weeks later it did burn down.

We have a professional hypnotherapist in town and she's awesome! She's cured several people's addiction to cigarettes and even put me under a spell during one of our Chamber of Commerce meetings. Got rid of some of my procrastination issues, and I've been debating on seeing her again. I put fortune tellers in the same boat. The true ones are miracle workers. 

If you haven't read it, I suggest A Tattoo for Lex by kbois. The MC can see auras around people, determining their emotions and problems. It was a great addition to a non-supernatural story. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Eight would make two bucks, but no Cern.

I’m referring to the 8 bits/dollar US.

In the US, the bit is equal to 12+1/2¢. In the U.S., the "bit" as a designation for money dates from the colonial period, when the most common unit of currency used was the Spanish dollar, also known as "piece of eight", which was worth 8 Spanish silver reales. $1/8 or 1 silver real was 1 "bit".

The expression also survives in the sports cheer "Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar … all for (player's name), stand up and holler!"

Interesting trivia:

The New York Stock Exchange continued to list stock prices in $1/8 (1-bit) until June 24, 1997, at which time it started listing in $1/16. It did not fully implement decimal listing until January 29, 2001.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar

I actually collected several of these first American Dollars minted in Mexico City; several have testing strikes in Chinese Kanji when traders tested the silver content.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
23 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

We have a professional hypnotherapist in town and she's awesome! She's cured several people's addiction to cigarettes and even put me under a spell during one of our Chamber of Commerce meetings. Got rid of some of my procrastination issues, and I've been debating on seeing her again. I put fortune tellers in the same boat. The true ones are miracle workers. 

If you haven't read it, I suggest A Tattoo for Lex by kbois. The MC can see auras around people, determining their emotions and problems. It was a great addition to a non-supernatural story. 

Hypnotherapy is real, but like with other things I'm  immune to it.

There was a real psychic who lived in a county north of here and she could do amazing things. She also wouldn't accept money.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

As much as I find your dialogue the weakest part of your writing, this was a really good chapter. Plot and worldbuilding continue to be an amazing part of your stories, but this is maybe your best emotional scene so far(in my opinion). I do wish we lingered on Dirk, really got in deep with the pain and anger; Him laying naked screaming till his voice breaks at the injustice and anguish, ya know? But that kinda contrasts with the general pacing of moving at a brisk jog.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, seakinklets said:

As much as I find your dialogue the weakest part of your writing, this was a really good chapter. Plot and worldbuilding continue to be an amazing part of your stories, but this is maybe your best emotional scene so far(in my opinion). I do wish we lingered on Dirk, really got in deep with the pain and anger; Him laying naked screaming till his voice breaks at the injustice and anguish, ya know? But that kinda contrasts with the general pacing of moving at a brisk jog.

Thank you for your feedback. I still consider myself a newer writer, and I'll work on dialogue for future projects. Dirk's scene does require some extra emotion. And I'll add that when I get the chance to do an edit. 

The big gripe is the mental dialogue. I've learned my lesson from suggestions made by Signature Authors, as as I've struck it from my newer stories. I needed to keep it in this one for continuity's sake. Can't change a book's style without changing all in its series. 

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..