Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,775 Words
  • 2,435 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 31. Chapter 31: Getting Gelato

Handing in his answer sheet, Vincent left the testing room and ran into RJ. "Oh, hey!"

"I smell the confidence. Think you aced it?"

Walking with the polar bear, Vincent sighed. "I think I did well enough. Just wish the essay portions had more pages."

"That's part of the exam. Can't go rambling on, otherwise nothing actually gets done when you're in the field. So, how's working with Holly and Teddy?"

The rigorous work-outs were unlike anything else. "Have you seen the race tracks these guys have? Start here, straight to Providence, Rhode Island, take a right at Fourteenth Street and zoom straight to some place in Thailand. Chiang Mai or something. Circle the globe twice, head back here, then first to the top of the Burj Khalifa wins."

RJ shook his head. "Fuck that!"

"Then Holly whups my ass every chance she gets."

"Yeah, I heard she can be brutal. Anyway, let's go celebrate before we head to our next assignment."

Vincent followed RJ out of the EC headquarters. Guess now's the time to celebrate. Better do it while I can. One more week, and Yakob comes looking for me. I'm not sure if I'll be ready for whatever he has to throw at me.

We do! Beat teacher like mother.

One win doesn't mean we're better. I'm sure Elaine'll kick our ass again soon.

RJ approached a hunter-green Mercedes-Benz G550, and Vincent whistled. "It's like my Kia Soul's burly dad, only it took more after the mom's side."

The bear slapped the hood as he laughed. "It's my baby. I won't give 'im up for anything. He's taken me all over the world. Calgary, northern Canada… I even ship him when I go to Japan."

"Him? I thought all vehicles were ladies."

RJ winked. "Depends on the driver. Not sure about you, but I don't want to be inside a woman, playing with her wheel and knobs."

Vincent squirmed as he climbed in the passenger seat. "Good point. So, what's his name?"

"Axel. Rough, no nonsense, and doesn't take sass."

The short drive to a gelato shop went against the vehicle's description. It's a smooth ride! I bet it's just as if it goes in the mountains or something. RJ looks natural driving this behemoth. I probably need a stack of books to see over the steering wheel.

Once inside, the ursus ordered the tiramisu flavor and Vincent copied. With their adorably small scoops and cones, they sat in the pearly-white booth. As they ate, RJ went over their next assignment. Vincent stopped mid-lick.

Oglala Lakoda County Pack. "W-we're going there tomorrow?"

RJ saw the mage's discomfort. "Is that a problem?"

"Tomorrow's not the issue."

"So the other thing, then. You're good friends with Mated Alpha Alvey."

Vincent stared at his treat. "Yeah. This is a test, isn't it?"

"I don't know," RJ quipped. "Is it?"

Snorting, Vincent pointed out a trend. "You take me out for sweets before giving me news like this."

"Oh?"

"Gelato now, and ice cream back in Reno when I missed that inappropriate transaction in the coyotes' finances."

"Tiny infraction, but still. And two times doesn't make it a trend."

Vincent briefly smirked. "It's the start of one, not that I mind it. You don't have to worry. It'll be weird to go to South Dakota, but I know everything's fixed there. The alpha that exiled Kap isn't there."

"You're right. Let's finish up here and we'll get going."

After the gelato, they drove away, heading for RJ's apartment. Once there, the bear let Vincent in first. "Just gotta pack my bag real quick."

The place was roomy for a one bedroom place, and it was nearly spotless. With a quick sniff, he smelled faint traces of a human. "Had a visitor recently?"

"Yeah, took your advice. Jake and I are giving it a try."

Vincent cooed loudly. "Look at you, Grumps! And?"

"A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell."

"Not that. The relationship."

RJ continued to the bedroom where Jake's scent was stronger. "He's a little hesitant to travel with me on a permanent basis, but he's down for a trip every now and then. He was excited to go to Japan or any of the bigger cities. After South Dakota, I'll be heading to Tokyo. Probably'll take him along."

Vincent was happy for the bear, but his mind heard something different. "I'll be on my own by then, right."

Folding a pair of jeans, RJ chuckled. "You're miles from being sent by yourself. You'll be stuck with me for the next several months."

"You mean next week we're going to Japan?" Excitement lurked beneath his skin.

"Hell yeah! Plus, you get to meet Jake. We just need to remember to keep our conversations coded, and your magic to a minimum."

"Right." The thought of having a nonexposed human around was bothersome. It's RJ's man. I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll need to remember to keep the paperwork put away.

Once RJ's bag was packed, they made plans to meet up tomorrow at the OLCP Pack Lodge. The idea sounded strange, but after RJ explained the old lycan tradition, it didn't sound too bad. Having most of the pack living in the same building? I mean, it'll probably get a little loud. Having dinner with everyone sounds like a blast though.

Leaving RJ and London, Vincent went home. Mason wasn't enthused about his next assignment. "Just be careful, Pup. There might still be some people that have Ren's opinion."

In his mate's arms on the couch, Vincent reassured him. "RJ said it's changed a bit since Alpha Price took over. I'm kind of excited to stay in a pack lodge. It sounds pretty fun. Did you want to come? I'm sure it won't be a problem."

Mason smiled. "If RJ's okay with it, sure. I'm caught up on farm stuff. Shoot 'im a text and I'll let Dave and Caleb know they got the pack for a day or two."

After asking RJ, Mason was cleared to tag along. The polar bear messaged Alpha Price about it, and the Owensville couple would have a room to themselves.

Morning came too quickly. With backpacks and Vincent's work satchel ready, the mage hoisted Mason and zipped toward South Dakota. Working with Elaine had helped him manage his energy more efficiently, but it still took its toll. He was instructed to buzz the front iron gate and wait for someone to escort them in. Looking around, the wooded area was dense. When a silver wolf trotted down the lane, Vincent waved.

The lycan shifted and waved back. "Ey-yo! Welcome to OLCP. I'm Ralph. You must be Auditor Bolton and his mate, Mason."

As the man grabbed a change of clothes from the small booth behind the gate, Vincent confirmed, "Yep. Really excited to be here."

The gate opened electronically and they walked through. When their guide came around the corner, he bared his neck. "Didn't know I'd be escorting a couple of alphas. It's an honor. No vehicle, sirs?"

"No, didn't need one. I can get around pretty fast." When Ralph seemed perplexed, Vincent explained, "I'm a shadow mage."

"I… Oh, wow! That's cool as hell. Well, we got a long walk unless you guys want to shift."

"Or I can take us all up there," he offered with a wink. "Just follow the path?"

Their guide grinned toothily. "W-would you? And yeah, straight ahead and we'll hit the lodge. Alpha Price'll be waiting for you."

Taking a deep breath, Vincent instructed Ralph to imagine himself being weightless as he carried the men up the trail. Ralph shrieked like a girl while the landscape zoomed past his eyes. Stopping at the lodge stoop, the guide stepped off as the world regained color. Spinning around, Ralph acted like he rode every roller coaster in the world.

"Ralph?" A tall, muscular man with long, black locks stood in front of the lodge doors. "Welcoming our guests properly?"

"Y-yes, Alpha! This is Alpha Bolton and his mate."

Vincent examined the pack leader. He's big! I can't tell if he's happy or irritated to see we gave Ralph a ride. "You must be Alpha Price. Your pack member gave us an eager welcome. Forgive me, we didn't bring a vehicle and I like taking people for joyrides."

Price glanced between him and Ralph, only to grin. "I see. In that case, Ralph can continue the tour. I anticipated Rupert to be here around noon, but I'm sure Lesha and Wendy can fix you two a plate if you're hungry."

Feeling the fatigue from carrying Mason, Vincent nodded. "Some food would be appreciated."

Price looked at Mason. "Sorry, I didn't catch your name."

The men shook hands. "Mason Wilson, Alpha of Owensville County Pack, Kentucky. Just along for the ride."

"Oh, yeah! Alpha Scott moved to your pack, didn't he? Good guy. I have you two in the room next to mine, with Rupert across the hall. Ralph, show them, would you?"

"Yes, sir. Their rooms, kitchen, then your office?"

Price nodded. "It's a pleasure having you guys here."

As Ralph led the way inside, Mason whistled. "Holy…"

Despite the lodge exterior, the interior displayed a chic, modern cabin. Shiplap met halved logs as they made it through the entrance hall. In the center sat two long dining tables with a shorter one at the head. That's for the council, but those two tables can easily seat fifty or sixty. Jeez, this is intense. Does the whole pack eat together?

Going through a side door, they found the kitchen. It was professionally equipped with many ranges and ovens. This place is awesome!

"Lesha, Wendy!" Ralph called out, "Two of our guests arrived. Alpha wants them fed."

Two ladies were busy rolling dough across a wooden table. One looked up, and Vincent's heart skipped a beat. She… That's got to be Kaplan's mom! She had Kaplan's shoulder length, black hair and pale skin.

When Mason and Vincent approached, she sniffed, glared at them, then barely offered her neck. "Our guests are alphas?"

Ralph squinted. "Yes, Lesha."

The other woman brushed Lesha's shoulder and whispered something inaudible. While the other lycan stepped forward, Lesha huffed and resumed working.

"It's an honor to serve you two. I'm Wendy. What can we do for you?"

Vincent glanced at Lesha. She's angry.

She look at mate when mad. She no like us and Mace.

Yeah… Let's keep that to ourselves for now. "Sorry to bother you, Miss Wendy. You two have an amazing kitchen."

Wendy smiled while Lesha pretended to not notice. "I can see it; you're hungry."

"Guilty. If there's a granola bar or two, I'd—"

"Nonsense," Wendy chirped as she rushed to a door. "Lunch is in a few hours. Would a sandwich do, and would your mate like one as well?"

Mason waved a hand. "No, thank you."

In a flash, Wendy handed Vincent a plate with a stacked sandwich and a pile of chips. "It'll hold you over until lunch."

"Thank you!" Heading to the side seating area, he ate and conversed with his mate. "Before you say it, I'm taking notes."

"Oh?" Mason quipped. "You mean the homophobe back there?"

"Yes. I'm sorry, Mace, but I have to remain objective here. She may have insulted us, but I'm here to do a job. People have opinions, and this pack is still reforming to Price's image."

Mason growled to himself. "Got it. I don't see how you handle this. What're you going to do?"

"About what?"

"That had to be Kap's mom."

Biting his lip, Vincent sighed. "Nothing. I won't say anything."

Mason's glare said plenty. Vincent grabbed the alpha's hand. "It's not our place. Kap probably knows she's here, but does she deserve to know where he is? That's not up to us. If a conversation happens, I'll talk, but not about his whereabouts."

After a moment of silence between them, Mason huffed. "Yeah, you're right. Still, I don't like it."

Vincent agreed. He finished off his sandwich and brought it back to the kitchen. Seeing the sink, he started scrubbing his dirty dish.

Lesha double-taked at him. "Y-you don't have to do that. Just leave it there."

Shaking his head, Vincent kept washing. "I may be a leader, but I'm also equal. I'm not above doing dishes or cooking for my pack."

She had a sobering look on her face, as if she was touched.

Vincent bit his cheek. Just a little. "I don't know the situation, nor do I want to hear the negativity involved… But your son's doing alright for himself."

Choking up, Lesha was barely able to set a pan on the table next to her. "Y-you know my son? He's okay?"

"More than. Like I said, I don't know the details, but I know his troubles with this place. He wasn't able to be himself here. Now when I see him, he's always smiling. As his friend, that's all I feel comfortable giving you, but I believe people change. Prove to me you have."

As he walked out of the kitchen, he heard the faintest, "Yes, alpha."

***

Once RJ arrived, the auditors met with Price while Mason took a run with Ralph.

Sitting down, Price grumbled to himself. "Before we start, I heard there was an issue with one of my members towards you and your mate, Alpha Bolton. My sincerest apologies."

"It's Vincent, and that's not needed. I had a little chat with her and we got everything squared away. If I could make a request, there's no need for any disciplinary action."

RJ glanced at him briefly before Price nodded. "Very well, if you believe it's handled. The Alvey's have their ways, but it's been a process since I took Ren's place."

"I see the changes," the bear added. "The trees are healthier, and the buildings are getting more than a coat of paint."

"Thank you. It's been an eventful past couple of years. We're starting to pick up numbers again since the purge."

"Purge?" Vincent asked.

"When Ren was taken out, many of the members left. They weren't keen on inclusion, and would rather have their heritage hold power in this pack."

"So I heard," said RJ. "Many challenges, then?"

"No. When Ren attacked him, Cyrus beat him and declared this pack to be a democracy."

Hearing Cyrus was involved shocked Vincent. Attacked? He beat Ren? I knew Ty came here, but Cyrus too? "So you were voted in," he stated, jumping back in the conversation.

"Yeah. I presented a ten-year plan, along with two other alphas Cyrus brought in. The others' plans were too extreme. I gave the pack a healthy medium, allowing them to keep their opinions to themselves without kicking them out."

Vincent understood the concept. You can't just flip a switch. He's smart.

"Still," Price continued, "it's taking time."

Flipping through files, RJ was all smiles. "Paperwork says you're doing well."

"It's a slow start…"

Seeing Price discouraged, Vincent leaned forward. "You got this. I know Cyrus. He wouldn't have asked you to apply for Pack Alpha if he didn't think you could do it. I didn't think I was cut out to be a mated alpha. Evolve, and have faith in yourself."

The alphas looked at each other, then Price snorted. "I don't think that was an auditor talking. Thanks, Alpha B—"

"Vincent," the mage corrected. "My friends call me Vincent."

With his confidence showing again, Price and the auditors got to business.

***

Joining the pack for dinner, Mason, Vincent, and RJ sat together near the council's table. Vincent noticed the chair to Price's right was empty, while a burly man sat on the left. He has no beta. That's got to be rough.

After Price welcomed them publicly, Vincent scanned the crowd as they applauded. Some of them kept their hands on the table while they stared at him, but Vincent didn't care. He watched Lesha and the man next to him. Looks like if Kap hit the gym and didn't shave. The couple looked at him, whispered to each other, and returned to their meal.

Vincent wanted to help reunite Kaplan and his parents, but knew it was none of his business. What if he doesn't want to be in their lives?

Ask friend.

And say what? 'Hey, Kap. I'm in your hometown and feel the need to bring everything together?'

Yes. Human silly. Do what want.

That's not right.

Wrong. Kaplan did for Cyrus at dance.

After a moment, Vincent grabbed his phone. You're right, but I'm not going balls deep. He found Kaplan's contact and started a message. Hey. So they sent me to OLCP. I haven't talked with them, but your parents look like they're doing okay.

It was several minutes before he got a reply. Thank you. It's been a long time since I've seen them. I have mixed feelings about them.

His heart ached. He left his plate and whispered, "Got to make a call."

Mason grazed his wrist as he walked away. Vincent saw RJ start to get up so he waved the bear down and gave a thumbs up. RJ got the message and sat. Leaving the lodge, he pressed the phone to his ear. "Kap?"

"Hey."

Hearing the somber wolf, Vincent felt guilty. "I shouldn't have said anything."

"N-no. I've been thinking about them lately anyway."

Sighing, Vincent admitted, "I did talk briefly with Lesha. All I told her was you're doing great and you're a great friend."

He heard Kaplan choke up briefly. A sniffle later and the beta asked, "And Dad?"

"Haven't had the chance. He looks like he'd kidnap and murder me in a basement."

Kaplan laughed but Vincent could tell he was crying. "Sounds like him. He's the strong, silent type."

"Just like someone I know," Vincent quipped.

"Yeah, but people said I got my mom's intensity." Kaplan was quiet for a moment. The silence was awkward, but Vincent perked up when a deep breath came over the line. "I'll schedule a time to visit them. I just don't know how Cy will feel about it."

"He'll support you, Kap. He's your mate. The love he has for you is… Well, you have to be blind to not see it."

"Th-thank you, Vincent."

"Anytime. If they come asking questions, what would you like for me to do?"

"Tell them as much as you'd like. I got nothing to hide, Vincent."

The mage smirked. "I won't tell 'em everything. I'll save the good stuff for when you see them."

Kaplan chuckled. "I got to go. Thanks again."

With the call completed, Vincent saw a nearby bench and took it. He questioned whether he did the right thing. What'cha think, bud?

Did good. Kaplan come home. Home changed. He need see.

Yeah, I think you're right. Can't help but feel bad for bringing up his emotions and memories.

Need— The lodge door opened, and Vincent expected to see Mason or RJ.

When Kaplan's father stepped out, Vincent stood. The man appeared scary. "Alpha Bolton."

"Mr. Alvey, it's nice to meet you."

The man bared his neck and offered a handshake, to which Vincent quickly accepted. "You haven't been an alpha for long, have you?"

Vincent forced a weak smile. "A little over six months."

"Odd to see a human turned into an alpha," the man stated as he drew a cigarette from his pocket. "Want one?"

"No, thank you."

"Always offer one. I'm Marc, with a C."

"Vincent, also with a C.”

Marc coughed on his cigarette. “That’s funny. Lesha tells me you know my son.”

Straight to the point, I guess. Vincent sat back down and patted the space next to him. “Kap’s a good guy. I met him when Tierney Scott visited Owensville.”

“The alpha to NYSP?” The man asked, obviously bewildered.

“You didn’t know that’s where he was?”

“N-no. I… I had no idea where he went after he was…”

“Exiled,” Vincent spat. He watched Marc hang his head. “Do you believe in Ren’s old ways of leadership?”

Marc’s lips pursed. “No, but you don’t understand.”

“Then help me.”

After a long drag, he blew sharply. “It was either follow along, or else.”

Digging his feet into the loamy grass, Vincent wallowed in anger. “You were afraid.”

“You’re an alpha, and from what Ralph’s been blabbing, a shadow mage too. It’s different for us. A lot of us can’t challenge an alpha, let alone go against his orders and doctrine. That’s a death sentence.”

Thinking of Dave when he fended off Griffith, Vincent clenched his fists. He was banged up pretty bad. Marc’s right. Until Cyrus and Ty came along, these people had to go along with things. “I’m sorry.”

“For?”

A breeze blew through Vincent’s hair, failing to cool his temper. “That you and the rest of these people lived in fear for so long. Because of that, ideals and beliefs have been instilled that don’t belong in today’s world.”

Marc puffed and blew smoke through his nose. “The world isn’t sunshine and rainbows, alpha. Don’t apologize for things you can’t control.”

But I can now. I’ll make sure no other packs go through what these people had to.

“So my son’s in New York,” Marc said, breaking the silence.

“Yeah. He’s been the head beta, as well as the pack attorney.”

“My…” The man choked up. His cigarette trembled as he inhaled. “My boy’s the head beta of the New York State Pack?”

Seeing the father shed a tear, Vincent smiled. Despite learning of the pack’s atrocities, he felt warm knowing he delivered the news. “I won’t spoil everything Kap’s done, but there’s more to be proud of. He’s a great guy, and he helps so many people in his pack.”

Sighing, Vincent’s attitude turned cold as he stared at Marc. “He’s planning a visit soon. Treat him with respect, not as you did when he was here. He’s not the same man.”

There was turmoil on Marc’s face, and Vincent realized his mistake. He smiled weakly. “That’s not an alpha talking, Marc. Kap’s my friend, and I’d do almost anything for him.”

“Yes, alpha.”

“My name’s Vincent. I don’t go by my title unless I have to.”

Marc took one last hit before rubbing the cigarette out on the sole of his boot. “That’ll take some getting used to.”

Rising, Vincent stretched and headed to the lodge. “Better hurry, ‘cause Kap’s mate is the same way.”

Opening the door, he knew he left Marc in a happy stupor. Did I just pull a Cyrus move? Chuckling to himself, he went inside.

A thank you goes to @Grumpy Bear. With his permission, I used a few details and names from his series, Werebears in America. If you haven't started it, you need to check it out. https://gayauthors.org/stories/browse/series/werebears-in-america/
Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 51
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Moderator
6 hours ago, astone2292 said:

I've always wanted one!!! If I can't have one, then I'll certainly give one to Vinnie Mac. Most around here are driven by either grannies or hipsters. 

hamsters kia commercial GIF

And you don't need a key, just a USB cable. Stealing Kia's and Hyundai's has become an industry of its own in a lot of places.

  • Wow 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

This was a great chapter--full of fun, love, friendship, standing for your values and growing. Your recent two fairytale short stories showed you can concisely make points and entertain. This longer and multi-issue chapter left me pleased and happy  and kept my interest.

I hope Vincent passed his written test and is ready for Japan. It is a very different country. If the culture influences the packs, Vincent will need a solid intro. and follow RJ's advice. I have been to Japan 4 times on business and things operate differently in many ways.

Cyrus left an impression. Vincent did leave Kap's dad with a questioning ending--who is his son's mate? He will find out when Kap visits.

I love how Vincent left things. He really is Cyrus's replacement.

6 hours ago, Kitt said:

We rented one when we became stranded by a transmission with a faulty planetary gear. All I can say is it's a good thing I didn't see the hamster commercials before that trip. I would have been hamster dancing all the way fron Virginia to NJ! 

hamster GIF

I test drove one, and it was awesome! It's like a suped up golf cart, and everyone loves driving a golf cart. 

6 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Wow, just so loved this chapter.  I found Vincent talking about his training with the other shadow mages very telling.  He is working on making himself stronger and not afraid to get help from anyone he can.

I love how Vincent and Mason handled arriving at the South Dakota pack and dealing with traveling to the lodge from the gate.  Ralph seems like a real hoot.  The new Alpha seems to be working as diligently as he can.

Really impressed with how Vincent handled both talking to Kaplan and his parents.  I hope they can start to repair their relationship soon.  

Cyrus did the right thing; even if there are some in the pack that do not realize it yet.

I like Ralph. I'll be keeping him in mind for a short story at some point...

4 hours ago, Story Reader said:

I hope Vincent passed. And I hope the visit from Kap hrlps get the love from his parents back for him

I have hope Kap's parents will show some growth.

2 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, something strange is happening, Kaplan's parents are a little strange, I somehow don't think it will be happiness and sunshine if he visits , I hope he arrives with Cyrus when he does , Vinnie has his work cut out there is an underlying current I think that is ready to blow up. 

Aww. No sunshine or rainbows in OLCP when Kap arrives? Where's the faith?

1 hour ago, Dan South said:

Auditing the OLCP. Huh. Aside from the setup for a future Alvey family story I wonder why Vincent is there. The moment with Kap’s dad made my eyes wet but there’s gotta be more. Mace is just there to run in the woods? I’ll borrow a line: That’ll take some getting used to…

Perhaps whoever makes the evaluation schedule wants to challenge Vincent's ability to handle uncomfortable scenarios. If he can't act unbiased during an audit, he shouldn't be an auditor.

I mean, I wouldn't blame Mace for wanting to go on a run. Free field trip!

55 minutes ago, Salerion said:

Good chapter! Loved the ending, leaving Kap's dad with that bombshell of a revelation. 🙂

Vincent's becoming a mini-Cyrus, and I'm here for it!!!

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Interesting mix of Vincent being an Alpha to Alpha advisor and Auditor on this trip. And keeping Mason cooled down with the hostile initial meeting with Lesha. Seems old habits were deeply ingrained, even if that’s not the true feeling underneath. Glad that Marc went out to talk with Vincent, that may help to begin some family healing.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, VBlew said:

Interesting mix of Vincent being an Alpha to Alpha advisor and Auditor on this trip. And keeping Mason cooled down with the hostile initial meeting with Lesha. Seems old habits were deeply ingrained, even if that’s not the true feeling underneath. Glad that Marc went out to talk with Vincent, that may help to begin some family healing.

Our little Vincent is learning the other avenues of being a great auditor. It might be awkward for him, being a friend of Kaplan, but talking with Marc and Lesha sounds like a good move on his end. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I was wondering if Axel was a reference to Werebears of America! Kooks like my hunch was right!

Edited by Bryek
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bryek said:

I was wondering if Axel was a reference to Werebears of America! Looks like my hunch was right!

I couldn't help myself. With RJ being based on Grumpy himself, I needed more stuff from our werebear friends. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Another great chapter in a looonnngg line of great chapter!!!  Loved it!  Vincent handled Kaplan's parents.  He "built" Kap up and ended with a bombshell (without revealing) ...he's learning (Cyrus trick hahaha).  You know I love it when you include Kaplan and Cyrus in the chapter 💗...  Anyways, great homage to Werebears.  I read that (Axel) and I was like where have I heard that name before.  It took me a minute then it hit me..Grumpy, Axel...Werebears in America!  Damn, went into the zone and my coffee is now cold, hahahaha....  till next time my friend!!!

  • Love 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Patch1 said:

Another great chapter in a looonnngg line of great chapter!!!  Loved it!  Vincent handled Kaplan's parents.  He "built" Kap up and ended with a bombshell (without revealing) ...he's learning (Cyrus trick hahaha).  You know I love it when you include Kaplan and Cyrus in the chapter 💗...  Anyways, great homage to Werebears.  I read that (Axel) and I was like where have I heard that name before.  It took me a minute then it hit me..Grumpy, Axel...Werebears in America!  Damn, went into the zone and my coffee is now cold, hahahaha....  till next time my friend!!!

RIP coffee. Your temperature went to a good cause. 💙

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
On 9/5/2022 at 1:55 AM, astone2292 said:

I think I'll save this mini-plot for a short story later down the line. It's whispering to me, but I can't hear what it's saying at the moment. 

May it whisper loudly soon. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A super chapter. Thank you. 😊 

Vincent is doing so well. I'm glad Kap's parents seem to have softened somewhat. Like others have said, I hope he comes with Cy. There may be a spot of bother. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A nice start to the chapter with all the fun stuff like passing the exam, riding in Axel, finding out RJ was dating a human and home to Mason.  I wonder if Jake is a bear kindred?  🤔 

This explanation by RJ was hysterical! :rofl:

Quote

RJ winked. "Depends on the driver. Not sure about you, but I don't want to be inside a woman, playing with her wheel and knobs."

The greeting by Ralph at the gate was OK, but the ride in the shadows to the main house was fun to read because of Ralph's reaction to the ride.  Lesha's initial attitude sounded ominous, but things changed so much at dinner.  I loved the conversation between Vincent and Marc.  There is hope now that Kaplan will be able to reunite with his parents.  Cy will be so happy when that happens.  He knows the importance of this to Kap.  The chapter was filled with love as it flowed smoothly from NYC to the ODCP.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 9/13/2022 at 10:03 AM, Doha said:

May it whisper loudly soon. 

On 9/13/2022 at 10:05 AM, Doha said:

A super chapter. Thank you. 😊 

Vincent is doing so well. I'm glad Kap's parents seem to have softened somewhat. Like others have said, I hope he comes with Cy. There may be a spot of bother. 

Don't know how I missed these! My bad!

Lots of stories are whispering to me, but I gotta listen to Death in the Shadows first. 

I'm sure Cy will use his ways with words. It might cause a dust-up considering he killed their previous alpha...

  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..