Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,847 Words
  • 2,766 Views
  • 29 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 20. Chapter 20: Shaky Stalkers

Vincent offered to give RJ a lift with his magic, but the bear respectfully declined. "I actually recommend getting a vehicle for when you become an independent auditor. It comes in handy when you have a lunch or dinner interview with the leader."

"Right, and it hides my affinities."

Still holding the wheel, Rj raised his finger. "Exactly. You are a hand in poker. Don't reveal yourself, or you're fucked. Every secret you hold back from your interviewee is ammo."

"So, should I take down some details on my EC profile?"

"By all means, keep them up if you want. You can be like Cyrus and bare all. He pretends to be an open book, but then flips the table you didn't know existed. I like to keep things under wraps. As an auditor, it's up to you how you want to balance and distribute your personal information. With this in mind, use today as an example. Alpha Reardon doesn't know I'm training you. He might, or might not recognize you from your profile."

His hopes of surprising the man were crushed. Still, it's going to be nice to officially meet him. When the car parked in front of a restaurant, Vincent was excited. He could use some food. Walking in, he took in the swanky atmosphere of the four-star establishment. "A little much, isn't it?"

RJ snorted. "Get used to it. No more Big Macs when you're on duty."

"That's fine, but I prefer going to places where the food's going to be worth it. Nothing beats a hole-in-the-wall diner."

The bear appeared as if he had been hit in a weak spot. "You and I are going to get along just fine. I would've gone for one, but Reardon chose today. Remember, you're shadowing. I don't want you answering any evaluation-related questions."

Vincent nodded. I don't feel comfortable answering them anyway. Just watch and learn. The mage and bear followed the host toward the back. The further they went, the fewer patrons they saw. In a corner sat two men. Alpha and beta.

As they reached the table, the two stood. The taller man with bulky arms, and brown, coiffed hair and goatee smiled. "Grumpy, good to see you again." Then his eyes fell to Vincent. "Alpha, I don't believe we've met. I'm Frank Reardon. This is Beta Cranston Hulley…"

The beta displayed his mating mark. He had an impressive head of black hair, falling down to the middle of his back. "I prefer Berry. Pleasure, sirs."

Vincent shook both offered hands, but kept looking at the alpha. He doesn't recognize me. Guess they didn't look at the EC profiles. "It's…" He took a breath and continued, "It's good to finally meet you, sir."

Frank seemed taken aback. "Do we know each other?"

"No, but we know each other's names. Has my updated statement been useful?"

"Update—" Frank stopped speaking.

The emotional turmoil was present. The man would not stop staring, even as Berry questioned, prodded, and shook Frank. When the alpha sat, so did everyone else. "I… I knew you turned, and mated Wilson in Kentucky, but to actually see you. Vincent Bolton."

Berry whipped his head to face the shorter alpha. "The shadow mage?"

"The very same," RJ said boisterously. "I was tickled to learn I got to be the one training him."

Both Baltimore men gawked, but Frank composed himself first. "I can’t believe this. The last time I saw you was at the station in Elkridge before…”

When the man didn’t finish the sentence, Vincent did. “Before the social services lady came and took me. I don’t remember seeing you, but I’m glad you knew I was there.”

“I’m sorry. For everything, Vincent.”

Not expecting the conversation, he held back his emotions. “Don’t be, sir. It’s been a long and winding road… But I’m happy where I’ve ended up. Mom and Dad would’ve loved Mace without a doubt. I have a new set of parents that love me just as much, and they’ve helped me move on. My wolf keeps my head straight, and Mace is my rock. Looking back, I never thought I’d have a chance at this kind of happiness. Thought I’d be roaming the world, looking for answers and Stefan.”

Mentioning the name brought a stern face to Frank. “Have you had luck finding him?”

“Yes. I met with him months ago.” Seeing all three shifters look at him, Vincent twiddled his thumbs from underneath the table. “I have a burner-phone, and it has his number on it. When I’m ready, I’ll call it…”

RJ sneered. “A fight? You’re joking me. He wants a wild-west shootout?"

Recalling the meeting on the Greenthumb rooftop, Vincent shook his head. “For what it’s worth, I think he was truthful when he told me he felt guilty about killing them. He was looking for something. He called someone a cretin for telling him a lie. Overall, he's conscious enough to admit his crime, but he still wants glory."

Frank reclined. "We tore Paul and Marianne's life up looking for reasoning. They weren't involved in anything nefarious. Did he say what he was after?"

"No," Vincent answered, "but years before that, Stefan went to Owensville. From what Elaine told me, he was searching for information on the shadow and divine affinities, then attacked her when there was none."

The bear growled lowly. "Sorry. It seems like Aliz has been paying a lot of attention to that town."

Not wanting to say more on the celestial subject, Vincent faked a laugh. "You're telling me. It's been nonstop since I found Mace, but I'm sure Alpha Reardon isn't here to just catch up with my adventures."

RJ winked and cleared his throat. "He's right. We can do that later. Just like last time, guys?"

Berry procured several folders from the seat next to him and handed it RJ. "Everything you need."

Vincent was given them as RJ whispered, "Financial, disciplinary, meeting, and many other records from the last year."

"Gotcha." Just like my interview with Stuerm for MPC. I'm assuming we'll look at these later.

As RJ asked questions, Vincent watched the Baltimore men discreetly. The pair's pheromones indicated the truth was being told, but he remained objective. When food arrived, the business talk halted briefly. So far, RJ’s just asking positive questions. I wonder if there’s a reason for that.

Once the meal was finished, RJ typed on his phone. “I think that covers your part of the evaluation, Alpha.”

Frank wiped his mouth. “You keep getting faster every time you visit, Grumpy.”

“Don’t mistake speed for efficiency. I’ll do my follow-up on Tuesday. Noon for lunch? My treat this time.”

“Werner’s again?”

RJ dipped his head Vincent’s way. “Trainee likes diners as much as I do. Any questions before we skedaddle?”

The alpha waved his hand. “Get out of here. Call either of us if you need something. Vincent, do you mind meeting with me before you head back to Kentucky?”

He nodded. “Of course. I can stop by any time.”

“Perks of being a shadow mage, huh?” asked Berry humorously.

Vincent shrugged. “Just let me know if you want Japanese take-out from Okinawa. I know where to find a great yakitori vendor.”

Frank snickered and shook his head. “Maybe after we receive our audit scores. I’d like to get caught up; get to know you a bit."

"That sounds nice." They exchanged numbers, and Vincent followed RJ out. "I know Alpha Reardon and I have a history, but is it usual to connect with so many leaders?"

"You'll meet many people in this line of work," the bear answered. "It all depends if you keep up with the connections. I hear you met with Alphas Meyer and Michiko recently. Michi likes conversation. I'd keep up with that relationship, if you know what's good for you."

"She kind of acts like Drego from Pennsylvania."

The bear smirked. "Look at you! Already a player in the game. You're on the nose about her. She likes her information. Not as much as Drego, but she's more fierce."

That brings up another question. "How does that work? Is there a requirement to learn other languages?"

Starting the car, RJ drove away. "No, but it's useful. With Cyrus gone and Powell arrested, our staff has been re-mapped. I'm now covering all of North America, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand."

"You speak Japanese?"

"Fluently. Working on my French at the moment, but I'm not ready to be certified just yet. So, tell me why you want to be an auditor."

"I want to make a difference," Vincent responded. "I've used my magic to help around Owensville and neighboring packs. After I helped Ty grab Stuerm, I started to think why I wasn't doing more. The gods gave me three affinities, and it didn't make sense to use them for just my friends' benefit. If I can take down more guys like Stuerm, then I'll be happy."

RJ thumbed the steering wheel noisily. "Let's see if I can put the pieces together. There isn't a vigilante position within the EC, but you're not the type to go running around the planet waiting for bad guys to snag an old lady's purse. So… you do the next best thing. You already pointed out the pattern in Stuerm's survey bullshit, so there's skill. You just need some refinement.

"Then there's your magic. I see why Marlo was interested in you. Hiding in the shadows, listening or recording things not meant for an auditor's ears. My issue with that is legality. Some states and countries don't permit one-party recordings. I suggest researching where it's not admissible in court. The only viable way your magic is a sure-fire tool is your clairvoyance, and that's if you work with a partner. Using a sight ward, you can connect your partner auditor, then spy."

Vincent troubleshot mental scenarios. He's right. “I’m guessing auditors don’t get partners.”

“Yes and no. In an ideal working environment, we’d have partners. We’re so short-staffed, it’s practically a fever dream. Honestly, it’s been so long since I worked with someone, I forgot what it’s like.”

The mage grinned. “Maybe the EC should send some reps to shifter-ran colleges during job fairs.”

RJ raised an eyebrow. “Attract some criminal justice majors… Put that in your notes before handing them off to Marlo. They’ve probably had the idea, but never sent someone to do it.” The bear glanced at him from head to toe before returning to the road. “You’re going somewhere, kid.”

***

Everywhere.

He felt eyes on him. Every gods-be-damned day. Wake up. Spied on. Go run. Spied on. Take a shit… Good thing there’s no windows in my bathroo—

Wagner nearly tripped on the treadmill. Damn, the air vent! There could be a camera in there. Fuck!

If Teddy wasn’t taking my drops, would I have known? Eventually, but that would’ve been embarrassing. Hitting the stop button on the treadmill, he snagged his water bottle and mosied to the showers. He hated the local gyms, but if it meant solace from the mysterious stalker, he would gladly suffer the overwhelming body odors.

Drying off, he wrapped the towel around his waist and grabbed fresh clothes from his bag. Pulling a shirt over his head, he felt the pestersome gaze. No. It’s different. Turning, he saw another delta lycan. The bulky blond stepped out of the door-frame and nabbed the locker next to his. Young, no facial hair, shit-eating grin. I think I’ve seen him a few times. “Sup?”

“Nothing much. Going home?”

The tone was off, but Wagner played along. “Yeah.”

The man growled lowly, “Yeah, what?”

Knowing there were humans nearby, Wagner straightened his posture and whispered, “You mind? Gonna expose us, shit-head.”

“Is that any way to talk to your enforcer, whelp?”

Gritting his teeth, he understood the confrontation. He sniffed. Pompous. Ego. Just got promoted. Staring at the cheeky smirk, Wagner rolled his eyes and grabbed his phone, starting an audio recording. “Keep this conversation up, and you won’t get a chance to take your certification classes.”

The blond boob crossed his arms and leaned in. “You haven’t submitted to me yet, or acknowledged my presence.”

“We’re in a gym, you fucking moron.” Wagner gripped his bag, flung it over his shoulder, and walked out. He’s still following me. Is this guy asking for it? I have half a mind to call Cy—

Fuck. Can’t do that. He wanted to snarl as he walked past the reception desk. Checking, he was still recording the audio. I can at least get it sent to Teddy. If this power-hungry twat thinks he can muscle into my position… Wagner dropped the bag next to his bike and pivoted.

Blond butthole, incoming. “You want to explain yourself, or should I drag your ass to the alpha myself?”

“Not until I get my rightful bearing.”

“Listen. I don’t know you, but any delta around can pretend to be part of the council. What’s your name, kid?”

The smug jughead crossed his arms. “Enforcer Parker Henson.”

Wagner held up a finger, signalling to wait. Pulling up the private site for NYSP, he tapped on the active council page. I’ll be damned. There he is. Storing his phone, he pinched the bridge of his nose. “You’re over my district now. Thought it’d be fun to rub it in, huh?”

“No. I thought it would be important for you to know your place.”

The delta seemed so confident. Power’s flowing to the brain, and it’s probably too small to comprehend what the fuck’s going on.

Delta stupid. He expose. We still enforcer.

No one knows that, wolfie. Glancing over Parker’s shoulder, he noticed a pair watching intently. What… Just what the fuck’s going on here? Feeling uncomfortable, he strapped the bag across his chest and straddled his ride. “Go talk to Tig. Let him know how big of a moron you are.”

“You can’t tell me what to—”

The motorcycle’s roar deafened the delta’s whines. Seconds later, Wagner was half a block away. He kept an eye on his mirrors though. Got a feeling…

Exactly one block away from his apartment, he saw a different pair. One was leaning on the fire hydrant, while the other was texting. C’mon, guys. Dude looks like he’s texting in the middle of high school class. Beady eyes peeping, afraid he’s going to get caught. Wagner kept riding. Have I been compromised? No, surely not.

The longer he drove, the more he felt insecure. The endless surveillance, a brand-new enforcer, and now four more stalkers was more than off-putting. Game plan. I could go off the grid. That’ll alert everyone, especially Cyrus. No, can’t have him jump the gun because of this. Only one real option left. Revving the motor, he sped up. Arriving at the office building, he fired a text off, Coming up, important.

What comforted him was the lack of suspicious people. So they were looking for me, but didn’t think I would come here. Riding the elevator, he tried to calm himself. The secretary saw him the moment he stepped out, buzzed the button on her desk, and was prompted to let Wagner in. The moment he saw Snyder, his pace quickened. “What the fuck’s going on?”

The businessman appeared concerned, if not irritated. “I could ask the same. You just dropping by unannounced?”

Wagner growled, “It’s either you or Rochter, and he’s too dumb to hire goons to watch me.”

“Goons?” Snyder’s brows furrowed. He stood. “What goons?”

He’s being genuine. That’s a major problem. “My apartment’s been watched for the past week, from across the street, two doors down. Today, I get an up-close and personal welcoming from the fucker who took my job, and he’s on one hell of a power-trip. Damn-near risked exposing us both. And then there’s two twats outside the gym, watching me. Go home, found another pair. I’m being followed, Harold.”

There was conflict going on in Snyder’s bounding irises. They bounded barely from side to side. “This isn’t me, Alex. You got a problem, and I’d say it’s pack-related.”

“It could be, but Rochter and I aren’t exactly buds. Would he—”

“No,” Snyder said abruptly. “He’s been on this for too long to stray.”

Wagner took a seat, dropping his stinky bag. “Or he’s money-hungry. I’m taking some of the profit from this shit too, you know. That cut into his share.” He shrugged. “He probably doesn’t like that.”

“Or he’s being territorial.”

The suggestion was from left-field. Wagner shifted his weight to one side. “You think he’s doing this to me?”

Snyder scoffed. “Not Rochter. Vonder! I said this was pack-related. You’re doing too much, and the panda’s sniffing around.”

No, that sounds off. Cyrus wouldn’t do that. It would jeopardize my mission. However, Harold won’t know that. I need to remain objective to him and his plans. “Pull me.”

“What?” The businessman’s face was a mystery.

“Pull me from the evictions. I’m obviously a person of interest, so it’s for the best. Change my assignment or something, but I can’t do shit in public while I have Vonder peeking over my shoulder.”

He hoped his reasoning was enough to convince Snyder. It would suck to be completely benched.

Snyder opened a desk drawer, fingered a thick cigar, and whispered, “What is Vonder up to?” Snapping a cutter and striking a match, the man puffed. “I don’t like this.”

“This?”

“Something tells me I have a traitor.”

Wagner squinted. “Rochter, or someone else?”

Snyder’s lips pursed. “No… Not him. Not you either. Too much attention for me to think otherwise. Vonder’s not that reckless. He’s calculating, but sneaky…”

“Like a snake,” continued Wagner.

“Precisely!”

“So, who do you think it is?”

Tapping the ashes into a glass tray, Snyder rose. “I kept this small, mostly for my benefit. The only person I think could betray me is Bully.”

“Who’s that?”

“Howie Bultzer, my lawyer.”

The name was familiar. I think that’s one of Kaplan’s big rivals. Leaning against the chair’s back, he slouched. “Why him? Smart lawyer thinks he can rat on you or something?”

Pouring two glasses from a decanter, Snyder handed one off while sipping from the other. “Yes and no. He’s more of the mastermind here than me. He knows the laws, and how to dance around them. I have the property and business skills to finagle deals. Either one of us could turn on each other should anything go south. What I didn’t expect was him to start tailing you.”

Need more information, Wagner prodded, “Was he this way with Rochter?”

“No, Rochter and Bully were a pair from the start. Went to school together or some shit. Might as well be butt-buddies since neither can find a mate.”

The distasteful term irked the delta, but Wagner brushed it off. “So, what’s the plan? Want me to crack some skulls if they’re blocking me from my apartment?”

“I wouldn’t. Less noise is better. For now, back down on the evictions. I’ll have Rochter handle those while you find out who’s following you.” Snyder shook the glass in his hand gently, the ice clinking. “I’d finish your gin. We’ve been talking for too long.”

Staring at the clear liquor, Wagner focused. This is a major problem. More names, more connections. This thing’s bigger than I thought. He knocked back the gin, grimacing as it went down. Fuck gin! Who drinks this shit? Leaving, he nodded to the secretary and boarded the elevator. On the ride home, Snyder’s reaction to the situation was surprising to Wagner. He wasn’t upset with me. Like… At all! If I was running an illegal op, and one of my subordinates says he’s being followed, I’d be looking to get rid of him. Easier to hide a body than to explain dealings.

He’s quick to name Bultzer too. Like he said; either one could turn on their partner. Did Harold just do that?

Wolf bad. Give up lawyer.

No, I don’t think so. It’s too easy. Harold’s going to be on his toes now. I’m being followed, and the only one he expressed his concerns with is me. Someone goes knocking on Bultzer’s door, and Harold knows I have connections. I can’t do squat with this info!

Make drop, no tell alpha to jump.

Yeah, that might work. Alpha just needs to lay low too. We can’t afford quick justice with this one. We still need to know their actual plan.

Before pulling into the complex’s parking area, Wagner caught the stares of two men. Fuck me, again? They were leaning against the brick wall near the apartment buzzer, both dressed obnoxiously normal. Humans. One wearing flannel and boot-cuts, and the other is super into Carhartt. Idiots. You call that inconspicious?

He parked the bike, covered it, and took off his helmet. Gripping it between the visor and the rim, he readied it as a weapon. Sorry, Harold. I want answers. Turning the corner, Wagner caught both glances. They stood still as he walked by, but the delta felt their stares as he opened the door. A few steps in, and he didn’t hear the metal click back into place.

Spinning, Wagner saw the two men freeze. Nervousness and fear poured off of them in buckets. Scared? They were the ones following me. “You don’t live here.”

One turned to the other and whispered, “Bad idea. Let’s just go—”

Wagner gripped flannel-man’s shoulder. “Don’t think so, nutsacks. You've been here for hours, waiting for me. Now tell me who your boss is, and I might let you leave in a body-bag.”

Carhartt’s lips trembled as he dropped to his knees. “W-w-we’re just following orders, bud. Honest!”

“Y-yeah, so please don’t hurt us.”

The delta balanced between angered and confused. These two are about to piss themselves. “Just what the hell is going on here?”

Flannel slowly rose to his feet, still shaking like an old washing machine. “Boss said to follow you. We don’t know anything else.”

“Yeah,” Carhartt chimed, “she just said to see who you were. All we know is you go to the gym, the bar, and then to Mr. Snyder’s office.”

Wagner leaned against the crummy wall. “Do you even know my name?”

Both men looked at one another.

They’re worse than amateurs! “You're told to watch my apartment and everywhere I go... Nevermind. Who’s your boss?”

Flannel and Carhartt exchange glances.

Impatient, Wagner grabbed the thick jacketed man and pinned him against the gold-plated mailboxes. “Name!”

“Sheila,” muttered Flannel. “Sheila Weidman.”

Releasing the small human, the lycan swung the metal door open. “Don’t tell your boss you fucked up. If you do, I’ll fit your bodies in a Kleenex box, and leave it on her doorstep. Got it?”’

Both men nodded and fled onto the street. Wagner’s heart warmed as they scurried around the block. Climbing the staircase, he was happy to learn his stalker’s name. There was only one problem.

“Who the fuck is Sheila Weidman?”

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 31
  • Wow 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Grumpy is doing a great job of teaching Vincent how to be an investigator.  He uses positive affirmations when Vince has a good idea, observation or insightful comment.  Grumpy also does not immediately tell Vincent what he should or should not do about his profile.  Instead, he told Vincent what he, Grumpy does, the gives a counter example of Cyrus and tells Vincent it is up to Vincent what he chooses to do.  

The meeting with Reardon and his beta was interesting, and I hope that Reardon will become a friend and ally.

Wagner continues to get in the middle of the whole mess in New York.  That is leading to more information and leads, but does slow the process of justice.  In the long run it will hopefully make the solution more effective and comprehensive by catch all the major players and not just Harold.  Great chapter!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 6/21/2022 at 2:00 PM, astone2292 said:

You know... It's not very often I come across someone named Sheila, and they turn out to be cool people. I wonder if this Sheila Weidman will be any different. Wagner's going deep! I'm actually impressed with his ability to go undercover. As far as this new delta... Let's see what Cyrus has to say about it when he finds out.

Vincent might make a fine auditor. He still need to learn what it truly takes.

Sheila, I just figured you had done a visit, real or virtual, around Australia.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
On 6/21/2022 at 3:27 PM, astone2292 said:

Questions, questions, questions. Not very many answers being found as of lately. 

Sounds perfect to me. 

And the most entertaining thing I have is making my readers guess and grumble. :yes:

Where is the smh 🤦‍♂️ emoji for comment opinions? Your evil plotting is going to melt your keyboard buttons…or freeze your app to burn your battery; such unfavorable characteristics, … for your ethical characters.

Frustrated Gecko GIF

Edited by Philippe
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
On 6/21/2022 at 5:57 PM, drpaladin said:

Because he's almost a replacement waiting to happen?

Friends close, enemies closer?

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Philippe said:

Sheila, I just figured you had done a visit, real or virtual, around Australia.

LOL

My first thought.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..