Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,434 Words
  • 2,401 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 29. Chapter 29: Mountain March

"Well," Marlo said softly, "this might be the most promising review I've ever seen. Excellent work, Vincent. I take it you enjoy the position?"

Sitting in the councilman's office in London, the mage nodded and glanced at RJ. "Yes, sir. RJ's a wonderful teacher, and the job's looking like it might turn into a career real quick."

"That's great to hear. Grumpy, how do you feel about letting Vincent take the next step in his training?"

The polar bear crossed his arms and studied Vincent. "He's ready for the written portion, but nothing more. I'd like to take him on a few more evals before giving him the reins."

"Fair enough." Grabbing a stack of paper on his desk, he handed it off to Vincent. "This is the entire policy and guideline booklet for the Executive Council auditors. What you can, can't, and shouldn't do. You have two months to read and know this like the back of your hand. On the last day of April, you'll report to testing and be scored. Sound good?"

Vincent accepted, but kept the scheduling issue to himself. Yakob's coming in March. I need to step up my sessions with Elaine.

As they left, RJ held him back. "You're good at hiding your nervousness, but not that good. What's up?"

Sighing, he spilled the beans. "My mentor for the shadow affinity's coming in March, and he warned me he'd come at me with everything he's got."

"Feeling a little inadequate?"

The word irked him. "It's a not confidence issue. He's taught me everything I know, but I'm sure there's more to it. I got traveling the world down like he asked…"

RJ walked away and gestured for Vincent to follow. "C'mon then. Let's see what you got."

Taking the elevator, they went to the basement floor above the cells. There was a row of desks, and all but one was empty. A dirty-blond man sat with kicked-up legs, balancing a laptop. "Teddy," RJ called out, "you busy?"

"Watchin' a cam. Holly's there, but I'm a bit bored." Teddy glanced at Vincent, then smirked back at the bear. "This the newbie? Figured they'd have him with us in the Lair."

Making an assumption, Vincent guessed. "This is the runners' floor? And you must be Ty's favorite EC employee."

"Ty?"

"Tierney."

The Brit brought his legs down. "Ha! Ol' Scott still ticked at me for his welcome kit? Vincent, right? Heard wonders 'bout you."

RJ cleared his throat. "Ted, got a favor to ask."

"Don't you still owe me a sandwich from a year ago?"

Grimacing, the bear grumbled to himself. "That was hardly a favor."

"No? I could hear your stomach growling from across the globe."

"I was on stakeout and couldn't leave for food."

"So you called the ICE contact and got little o' me to pick you up some Subway. Ehh, I'm fuckin' with ya. What'cha need?"

The relief on RJ's face was humorous. These guys are just as bad as Dirk and Ingle…

"I was wanting to drop Vin here off with you for a bit," RJ offered. "He's got a student-teacher meeting with his shadow mentor in a month."

Teddy slowly reclined in his chair while remaining expressionless. "Now this sounds like a favor. I'm actually about to make my afternoon rounds. Think you can keep up, kid?"

Not really what I had in mind, but I'll take it. "I'll certainly try."

"Alright, but I'm running a test on ya. Meet you on the top of the Eiffel Tower, and go!"

In a flash, Teddy was gone, and Vincent reacted quickly. Spiraling through the elevator shaft, he saw the traces of Teddy's smog. He's fast! Barely able to keep up, Vincent managed to get to the top of the monument shortly after Teddy.

"Not bad, but you're slow by our standards. Using calm emotions, right?"

Disappointed in himself, Vincent nodded meagerly.

"Then you just need experience. Back to the Lair."

In a flash, the men rejoined RJ. "I'll talk to Marlo, Grumps. Consider him mine for the next week or two."

"Gotcha," replied the bear. "He's pretty golden on audits anyway. Guess you won't teach him how to fight?"

Vincent was about to argue, but Teddy's snicker butted in first. "Do I look like a boxer? I can only restrain, and that's about it. Off you go. Gotta send mail to people."

RJ walked away, but the moment Vincent turned, Teddy muttered, "Not you.

"Don't know who this mentor of yours is, but he should take a hike for a bit. You need to get your speed up, and fast. Quick question; what do you do if you can't win a fight?"

"Run," Vincent whispered.

"And if your opponent can run faster?"

Stefan's face flashed in his sights. He can actually follow me.

Teddy patted Vincent's shoulder. "I read the file. You got Gregoro on your tail, and it's not pretty to have two shadow mages fight. You have to guarantee yourself to be the victor, either by strength or speed. You have power, but he's had time and experience."

His logic doesn't make sense. "Even if I run away, he can search anywhere and everywhere. What's the use?"

The smirk on Teddy's lips was promising. "Gives you a minute to regroup while you peel away. At the least, it gives you time to get back here."

"Huh?"

"Right. So, the way the Lair works is simple. We're all shadow mages down here. The schedules made out to always have one of us here at all times."

The reason clicked. "Guaranteed back-up."

"Bingo. All of us have to focus on speed and stamina for our jobs. Lemme fire off this email to Marlo and I'll get you my schedule."

"Don't you need to wait for Marlo's approval?"

Teddy plopped in his cushy chair. "I always have it. There's about three of the employees he trusts, and you know two of 'em."

"You and Grumpy."

"You catch on fast. Holly's coming back from lunch shortly. Then we're off. Ready for a sprint?"

Just as Vincent agreed, Holly, the mage that assisted Tierney in apprehending Stuerm, appeared. "Hey! The council finally used their brains and send you down here?"

"N-no," Vincent responded, "RJ dropped me off, and I'm sharpening my magic for a bit."

"Cool! When you get done running around, I can show you a few things."

Teddy clapped. "Look at this. We'll make him a super soldier in no time."

"Hey," Vincent interjected. "I know how to fight."

Holly gleamed. "Oh? Now we really need to see what you're made of…"

***

Typing the report to the VPN, Mason sighed and scooted out of Dave's way. "How about that?"

The beta scanned each line, then hummed. "It's up to snuff. I think we're good to send it."

"Oh, thank the gods!" He triple-checked that all twelve recipients were listed for the email and clicked the send button. "And why did you put me through that hell?"

"In case I'm not around when something like this happens."

"You're sayin' you couldn't do this from a phone?"

"Sorry. The recommendation for enthrallment requires a three-page letter from the reigning leader over the interested vampire. Add the five pager Gwen wrote, the ten pager from Heather, and a preliminary examination regarding the expectations of what a thrall goes through—"

Mason's head hurt, and so did his wolf's. Beta talk. Make stop! Rising from his seat, he checked his phone. "Vinnie should be home by now. I think Tasha and Caleb wanted to have dinner. Want to join?"

"I'm sure Stace would kill me if I didn't. Time and place?"

"Six o'clock, and Biacci's. If you guys are coming, then I'll go ahead and make a reservation."

Making their calls, plans were made. Shortly after, Vincent emerged in the living room, clearly exhausted. Sweat soaked through his shirt as he plopped face-down on the couch and groaned. Poor kid. His time away from Yakob's finally caught up to him. "What happened this time, Pup?"

Another muffled moan came from between the cushions.

"That bad, huh? Who trained you; Holly or Teddy?"

"Mphh-y."

That doesn't help me. "Come again?"

Vincent raised his head, his cheeks flushed crimson. "Holly," he whined.

"Ouch! Well, how about you take a shower and clear your mind? Dave and Stacy's joining us for dinner later."

Resuming his self-suffocation in the cushions, Vincent's next groan was very brief.

At least he can acknowledge the conversation. "C'mon hot stuff. Time to get up. Think about ordering that double-carbonara."

The struggle inside his mate's consciousness was apparent. I can see it now. The human's saying it's not worth it…

Wolf say worth. Funny. Pasta good.

Damn right, but I'm thinking the beef brasato again. "Do you need help?"

Vincent sat still for a second, only to raise his arms and pathetically whisper "Carry me."

The request was chuckle-worthy. All Mason did to assist was get the alpha to his feet. "You'll be fine. Let's get dressed and get going."

Both picked out their outfits, one more sluggish than the other. After a bribe involving sex was issued, Vincent picked up the pace. At the restaurant, they sat in the circular booth with Dave and Stacy. The council's mates sat next to each other, spelling trouble for the dinner service. When Tasha and Caleb arrived, the waiter brought menus and took drink orders.

Shortly after, Caleb's grin was looking rather cheesy. What's on his mind? It's like he's hiding something. "Alright, spill it. What're you dying to tell us?"

Glancing at Tasha, the lion earned a nod from her. "Honey, I think you should tell 'em."

"Okay," she said coyly. "So, we asked everyone here 'cause it's a special day for us. We couldn't think of anyone else to share this news with, but…"

Tasha took a deep breath and looked at everyone with an exhausted face.

Mason was concerned something had happened. She's so distraught. What could—

Tasha continued with a mutter, "Lowe's goin' to be a big brother."

The table was silent for a brief moment before Stacy shrieked, "Oh my gods, congratulations!" She brushed past Caleb in the seat and tried to hug Tasha.

The booth was bustling with half-hugs, shoulder bumps, and celebration. Mason called for the waitress asking for drinks, along with one sparkling water for Tasha. "And this is all on my tab. You guys got to worry about diapers and stuff again."

"That's not the only thing to worry about," Caleb said half-heartedly. "We'll need to look for a three-bedroom home. No way we can handle the gremlin and whatever the new monster being in the same room."

Vincent leaned on Mason. "You know, there's an empty plot across the street from us."

He saw Tasha's eyebrows raised from the corner of his vision. "Tash?"

"Cay?"

The lion hummed. "We'll have to talk about it, but I'd rather stay in town. If something goes down, then Dave and I can coordinate until you get there, Mace."

Tasha rubbed Caleb's bicep. "That's my delta. I agree with ya, pussycat."

Mason accepted the reason. "Always thinking ahead. I think I saw a four bed, two bath listed near the park. If you're interested, I'll call the realty office and hold it for you."

The instant he finished his sentence, Tasha's phone was whipped out and her thumbs flew. She cooed and showed Caleb. I'll take that as a yes. That was quick!

Throughout dinner, questions were asked regarding the baby. Was it a boy or girl? Have they thought of names yet? Did Lowe get excited or throw a tizzy fit? Knowing that kid, he probably took a lap around the house with his hands in the air. One thought lingered in Mason's mind. "I wonder how Ty and Morr are doing? I heard they're trying too."

"Heather says she's been really relaxed at Nini's," said Stacy. "It might be safe to say they're trying frequently."

Chuckling, Mason kneaded Vincent's knee. "Don't worry, babe. We'll keep trying too."

Earning a playful slap on the shoulder, Mason laughed as the food was carried over. Raising his glass, he prepared a short toast. "To Tasha and Caleb. May the Seven help them both."

***

"Are you sure about this, Cy?"

"Of course! I absolutely must, considering I pledged my support to them so long ago." Dressed in warm clothes, Cyrus and Kaplan were escalating a mountain. I continued Tierney's contribution to these people, yet I haven't visited. Shame on me.

The trek was intense but nothing the panda couldn't handle. Cutting the time taken, he frequently picked up his mate and used magic to jump high. The atmospheric pressure was making it difficult to breathe. "We're taking a break here, my pup. Take slow breaths, and concentrate on normalizing the air up here."

Kaplan nodded. "Wouldn't it be better to shift?"

Cyrus managed to giggle. "Maybe for you. Knowing my bear, we'd go tumbling down the side and roll all the way back into the city. If you'd like, you can bring your wolf out. A warning though, it's rather cold out here."

After a moment of mental debate, Kaplan shook his head. "No, we're nearly there. I think a few more jumps and we're good."

"You're quite right. Ready?"

Getting an affirmative, the panda scooped Kaplan up and launched them further up the mountain. As they peaked in height, he caught a glimpse of their destination. The monastery. Looks a little grim, but it is late in the winter.

Landing at the first stone step on the path, Cyrus basked in the architecture. It's more detailed than I assumed. There's intricate carvings, and I didn't even see the banners. They blend in with the stone. As they approached, Cyrus saw a figure walk to the gate. "You did tell them we were coming, right?"

"Yep," replied Kaplan.

Nearing the guard, the unfamiliar monk called out. "Weary travelers! Come and seek warmth."

Following along, the heat kept inside the monastery's stone walls was impressive. "This place is beautiful," Kaplan whispered as he shed his thick coat.

"Thank you," the monk responded. "We keep it clean using magic."

"The shadow affinity, correct?" asked Cyrus.

"Yes, everyone here possesses it. We endure solitude to master darkness's peace. I bear no ill thought, but it is much more difficult than your lightning magic. You rein it by redirecting the pricking sensation to a single point on your body?"

"Yes. Your knowledge is impressive, Mister…"

"Tomas." The monk stopped to bow. "Forgive me. I did not mean to skip the pleasantries. It is a privilege to escort the alpha of New York."

"Please, my name is Cyrus, and it's our privilege and honor to explore your home. The walk here was brisk and refreshing."

Tomas chuckled to himself. "Your definition of a walk is interesting. Our master is approaching."

Cyrus smiled, eager to see him again. When they round the corner the familiar monk bowed to Tomas, effectively dismissing him. "Yakob, good to see you again."

"Likewise, Alpha Vonder. You as well, Beta Alvey." Yakob barely squinted towards Kaplan. "You both found mates. Congratulations are in order. I suspect you belong to each other, or did I misunderstand the scene in New York many months ago?"

Kaplan interlocked his fingers with Cyrus's.

Yakob's face lit up. "Ah! It warms me to see young love. You two must be famished from the journey here. We're about to serve dinner."

The couple followed. They stopped briefly to view Yakob's office, then continued on to a wide room. Many other monks were kneeling on thin pads as they either ate bread, salad, or soup. "Yakob, is this the typical diet of the monastery?"

"Yes, alpha."

This isn't correct. "Do you have proper food storage for proteins and other cold foods? I would like to know before I increase your donation from the pack."

The monk straightened. "We do, but it is not necessary. The soup is high in calories, and includes many supplements to keep the human body going."

"I understand, but to live on bread and soup alone?"

"Alpha Vonder, while I appreciate your potential generosity, I can not accept it. The pack contribution is already plentiful. Regarding nutrition and sustenance, the mundane and repetitious diet is a reminder of the balance required of a shadow mage. We must keep our emotions in check. A single deviation, in certain situations, can result in an unfortunate misstep."

Cyrus sighed silently. "I apologize for impeding your customs."

"All is forgiven. Shall we eat?"

The meal was surprising. While the salad held no dressing, Cyrus's panda was pleased with the quality. Fresh. Leaves crunchy.

I agree. Very smart using kale. High in calories and nutrients. This is superb! Looking to his mate, the alpha asked, "How is your soup, Kap—" He stopped as he saw the wolf's bowl was already empty. Did he inhale it?

"It's good. It looks like clear soup but tastes like beef udon. Yakob, may I have another bowl?"

"Of course," Yakob answered. "I had extra prepared for your visit. I was baffled when I ate with everyone at the diner in Owensville, but I would stop at three bowls. Even Raul struggles with two."

Seeing a larger monk, almost the size of Cyrus, the bear giggled. "I'll grab some for myself shortly. Still, my decision still stands, Yakob. Your donation from NYSP will increase by twenty percent. I’m sure you’ll find an appropriate way to use it.”

“Your generosity is welcome, Alpha Vonder. There are many projects to be done, and the funding will speed the processes.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing the success.” The panda finished off his salad before leaning forward. “I do have a question for you, Yakob. What do these people do once they’ve mastered their magic?”

Yakob sighed and rose from the bench. “What they do is not my business. Every one of these fine mages can leave or stay at any time. They chose to move and train here. Some leave once they master their magic while some remain to teach others. To some, this is their home.”

“Just like you,” Kaplan pointed out.

“Correct, young beta. This monastery has been home for many decades, and until the Seven direct me, I will remain here.” With all three finished eating, they sauntered back towards Yakob’s office. “I suspect you asked for a reason, Cyrus?"

Knowing the monk could read thoughts, Cyrus spoke his mind, “As the alpha for NYSP, I’m no longer directly affiliated with the Executive Council. However, I owe it to those who trained me, just like you do for these men and women. The mages in London taught me to hone my lightning. I can not make any offers myself, but with your permission, I would like to encourage a partnership between your monastery and the EC. Should your fellow monks have an interest or decide to pursue a career, there's a great need for mages of all affinities.”

The bear was wary as Yakob led the way into his office. Sitting down at the desk, the monk closed his eyes. Cyrus saw the man was in deep thought. Taking one of the chairs, he waited patiently.

“I feel your sincerity,” said Yakob. “I want the world for my students and fellow monks. While my goal is to remain far from the world’s governments, I can not force my will upon others. Your suggestion is heard and will be heeded. I’m sure some here will be excited to put their skills to a practical test.”

“My intentions aren't to force an alliance with you and the EC," Cyrus explained. "Despite being a government body, the councilmen do a lot of good for the world, and mages play an important role."

"Their shadow mages… They collect information and witness events that lead to arrests. I have seen them in action over the years." Yakob smiled. "They are fine mages but there could be a couple of improvements."

Cyrus laughed heartily. "I'm sure they wouldn't mind having a guest speaker, that is if you're interested."

"Anything to further proper magical development. But speaking of, I see you have reined in your manipulation since the diner."

Kaplan rolled up his sleeve, to check if his arm hairs were standing. "I'd say."

Both Cyrus and Yakob shared a short laugh, but the bear saw anticipation in the monk's eyes. "Are you reading my mind?"

"No, because you are silent."

Being cheeky, Cyrus thought, Do you have a practice field of sorts?

Of course.

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 48
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Love watching Vincent grow and becoming stronger, faster💪.  I have a feeling he's going to need it soon...  And a new baby!!  Can't wait for Caleb and Tasha ( and Lowe) to welcome their new "monster"🍼...  And of course you made my day with Cyrus and Kaleb... You know how much I love those two!!! 🐼💗🐺 Another damn good chapter!!!!! :worship:

  • Love 5
Link to comment

While I’m totally excited to have caught up to the current storyline I’m just as not excited to have caught up. I’ll just wait over here wondering and worrying about what happens next.

Its a fantastic read from the start. Obviously I couldn’t put it down 😂 and it’s an enormous pleasure interacting with you, Aaron Stone, and the amazing folks who comment!

Now…tell me more…

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Kitt said:

I understood the back up as for audit turned detainment situations Vincent might run into as a rep for the EC in the future. With a flock of shadow made backups capable of being on sight before a call disconnects, a single auditor could handle tricky situations much more efficiently.

Oooooooh, I like this. 

12 hours ago, RainbowPhoenixWI said:

Ooooo, the anticipation 

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

9 hours ago, Doha said:

That would be a sight!

It would be ;) Stay tuned. 

9 hours ago, Doha said:

Thank you for another super chapter.organisatoons like the monastery need support. They quietly get on with the business of making society richer, often unseen. I'm glad The NYSP will support them further. 

A lot of training is going to be happening in the next couple of months and I hope Vince will be ready.

I'm sure Vincent will know when he's ready.

5 hours ago, Patch1 said:

Love watching Vincent grow and becoming stronger, faster💪.  I have a feeling he's going to need it soon...  And a new baby!!  Can't wait for Caleb and Tasha ( and Lowe) to welcome their new "monster"🍼...  And of course you made my day with Cyrus and Kaleb... You know how much I love those two!!! 🐼💗🐺 Another damn good chapter!!!!! :worship:

I'm super excited for Caleb and Tasha!!! I can only hope Ty and Morr get on the ball...

4 hours ago, Dan South said:

While I’m totally excited to have caught up to the current storyline I’m just as not excited to have caught up. I’ll just wait over here wondering and worrying about what happens next.

Its a fantastic read from the start. Obviously I couldn’t put it down 😂 and it’s an enormous pleasure interacting with you, Aaron Stone, and the amazing folks who comment!

Now…tell me more…

I'm so happy to see you caught up. Now be patient. I try to upload once a week or so. 

In the meantime, don't be afraid to check out my other stories. If you like this series, then I know you'll fall for Cyn in Cernunnos. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Story Reader said:

Well, it seems like babies are  to be spreading out (pun intended) lol I am happy that they are having more in each family coming!

Yes... Two babies appearing at the same time. This would, in no way, be a set-up for a future storyline. Nope. Not at all...

  • Haha 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Considering the last comment by @astone2292, I am looking forward to a bunch of babies. They could grow up together and make their own bonded (as bros and sisters) to form a formidable team to carry on the fight over evils in their world.  

I like the fact that Cy and Kaplan are visiting Yakob and the monastery.  I believe that giving encouragement to them is a great idea and will help in the future to make it easier to audit and investigate.  Maybe Vinnie can continue his career without as much time away from Owensville and Mason.  I also liked that Vinnie will be able to advance both his career and skills as a shadow mage with the help of EC and the shadow mages that work there.  

A very interesting chapter with a lot of things happening with everyone.  I do hope that Gregoro will find that the strengthening of Vince's skills as well as personal connections with others in his group will be more than Gregoro can handle.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..