Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,855 Words
  • 2,537 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 12. Chapter 12: Confusing Contest

Apologies to Chapter 11's comment section. I couldn't make good on my promise of Cyrus firing a lightning bolt at someone. The scene didn't speak to me the way I wanted it to, so I scrapped about 3k words and rewrote the whole dang chapter!
But... :read:

Vincent understood the situation. He struggled to contain his emotions as he recognized the man was a leopard. That’s Tasha’s father! I didn’t know he was an alpha.

He call Caleb trash! Challenge!

Hold it, bud. We don’t want to cause a mess.

The man advanced. “Looks like you weaseled your way into an enforcer position. At least you accomplished something.”

Smugness wafted across like a miasma, and Vincent wanted to fling the body across the resort and into the snowy mountains.

Caleb stood, unphased by the insult. “I earned my position, just as you have, Alpha Lewis. Congratulations on your new position.”

“Just taking my rightful place over Maricopa County Leap. I hope you aren’t dishonoring the role of Enforcer.”

“I take pride in serving my pack,” said the lion without emotion.

Lewis glanced at Mason and Vincent before returning to Caleb. “You’re acting the part, I’ll give you that much. Protecting a pair of alphas… I can’t tell if your job’s a formality, or if one of them needs his hand held.”

When the man glared at Vincent once more, Mason stepped forward, only to have Caleb hold him back. Several grumbles surrounded them. Vincent smirked as he heard a few. A few of the people nearby are whispering their disdain.

A fool. Show power!

Not unless we have to. The mage patted Caleb’s back. “I got this, G-man.” Vincent flashed his irises as he stared at Lewis. “We haven’t met, and you insult my enforcer openly. You’re either confident or cocky.”

Lewis’ amused appearance dissipated. “Do you know who I am?”

“Obviously; you have a nametag. Alpha Andre Lewis from somewhere in Arizona.”

“Don't you dare insult me, turnling.”

He felt Mason’s fury behind him, fueling his own. “Name-calling? That’s sad. Scratch that, pitiful. Here we are, leaders who come to share information, build alliances, and create friendships. And there you stand, tearing apart everything we’re here to do.”

Lewis snarled as people surrounding the confrontation applauded. “I won’t take this! Tomorrow night at the challenge circle. I’ll put you in your place.” He promptly stomped away with a man and a woman following.

“And so the first challenge has been issued!” A familiar voice echoed from the speakers. Vincent averted his gaze to the risen podium near the back of the hall. He snorted as he saw Cyrus adjusting the microphone. “Needless to say, welcome one and all to this year’s North American Summit. I hope everyone has taken their fair share of hors d’oeuvres, or perhaps a few cocktails. My name is Cyrus Vonder, Pack Alpha of the New York State Pack. The man to my left, Alpha Wayne Demers of the Greater Quebec Alliance, and to the right, Alpha Alejandro Sandoval from Mexico City. We are this year’s hosts, and are privileged to lead this weekend-long meeting.

“Tonight, we will gather, socialize, and partake in a game to see which of us are the most crafty, cunning, and exemplary in skill and instinct. Tomorrow, classes and workshops will eat up most of our day. As the sun sets, those who wish to further test their mettle will meet in the arranged challenge circle outside. A reminder to all; no territory will be gambled, and no life shall be lost.” Cyrus gazed across the room, then again at Vincent. “Is that to be understood?”

Vincent shivered as the panda’s tone lowered. He merely nodded as he accepted the terms. No land or life lost. Remember that bud.

No like! Bad alpha need taught lesson.

And we’ll do that, just without ripping his stupid head off.

Cyrus’ tone reverted to his natural cheeriness. “And as always, the last day has an open agenda for all to mingle. The slopes will be open for skiing, and the forests available for running. Challenges can be made and executed properly, a buffet will be available at all hours, and all are encouraged to create everlasting relationships.

“But you don’t care about that, now do you? I can see the toothy grins out there as you clench your fists. You want to hear about the game!”

Howls and claps filled the air. Vincent winced as the noise was abrupt and ear-splitting. Damn, they’re not joking around!

Holding a hand up, Cyrus managed to calm the leaders. “This year’s game, much like the ones in the past, is an old school favorite. Mine, if I’m being honest. After some rule-tweaking from the three of us, we’ve planned a dastardly and challenging game of capture the flag!”

Vincent’s mood lightened. This’ll be interesting. There’s gotta be two hundred people here.

Alpha Demers, a tall and broad-shouldered lycan with a buzz cut, took the stand as Cyrus retreated. “The rules are concrete, and shall not be broken. The EC was kind enough to lend us two shadow mages to act as gamekeepers. They’ll be watching carefully across the grounds. The goal is for the hunting team to capture the defending team’s flag and lay it across this podium to declare victory. Meanwhile, the defense will use any means necessary, excluding lethal tactics, to prevent this. After careful deliberation, the three of us believe the teams are as evenly balanced as possible.”

Slightly shorter in height, Alpha Sandoval stepped forward and slicked his black hair back. “To further balance the teams, we three decided to split responsibilities. Alpha Vonder shall lead the defense, Alpha Demers the hunting party, and I will act as rule keeper. Should there be any disputes or questions, I’ll be waiting in the lobby. And now, we will announce the teams, beginning with the hunters. Alpha Demers.”

The Canadian took the front of the stage with a card in hand. “When I call your name, come up here and be recognized by both your allies and opposition. Alpha Richard Drego.”

Vincent gasped. Wow! So there’s the brains of the team. He watched Drego move throughout the crowd towards the stage. Once the smirking Pennsylvanian was standing next to Demers, Vincent gauged them. Richard thinks while Demers… fights? I don’t know what he can do.

“Alpha Equal Fenn Andrews.”

In disbelief, Vincent’s jaw dropped. He felt a shadow moving across the hall, and he was able to peer over a shoulder to see Fenn. They’re stacking this hunting party, aren’t they?

Beta earth mage.

Yeah, I’ve never seen one in action. I just hope I can defend against—

“Mated Alpha Vincent Bolton.”

Murmurs echoed in the hall. Vincent couldn’t believe what he just heard. M-me? There’s already a solid crew up there!

A hand landed on his shoulder. Without looking at it, he knew it was Mason’s. “Go on, pup. You got this.”

Yeah, we got this all right. Walking to the stairs, everyone around gave him a wide berth. He even smelled a few traces of fear along the way. There’s got to be a mistake. We’ll win in an instant. Standing to the right of Drego, he shook the hand offered to him, then faced the mass. He caught the glowing set of yellow eyes to the right, and instantly recognized Lewis. He better not be the next one called.

Fortunately, the leopard was never called. A few more names were listed, none of whom Vincent knew. We’re up to eight now. Hopefully we’ll have a chance to meet each other before we start.

“Alpha Keller Galby.”

Hearing another familiar person surprised Vincent. The Montreal leader emerged from the crowd, and briefly nodded at him before ascending. Vincent waved back, but was unsure of his feelings. I mean, I guess we’re on good terms. We had that spat the day before Cyrus’ inauguration, but he apologized for it. Blowing it off, he accepted Galby as a teammate.

“Mated Alph…” Demers stopped reading the card.

Vincent looked at the team’s leader. The Canadian turned to Cyrus, who merely giggled. Uh oh. I don’t like this.

Clearing his throat, the hunting captain said, “Mated Alpha Kaplan Alvey.”

“What?” Vincent and Drego exclaimed.

Whispers and mutters were aplenty across the room. Kaplan, who was bewildered, stood next to Vincent. He looks just as clueless.

Demers crossed his arms. “This is your hunting team. The rest of you will defend the flag with Alpha Vonder as your leader.”

Still shocked by their final ally, he moved on autopilot as Demers ushered everyone off-stage. The hunting team stood together, but Vincent stayed at Kaplan’s side. “Did you know about this?” he whispered.

“N-no! Cy hasn’t said a thing to me about the game, let alone this.” The beta appeared worried. “What was Cy thinking? I’ll be ostracized before I can even meet with you guys.”

“Don’t worry. I know Richard and Fenn. They’ll be fine.”

“I’m worried about Demers. He wasn’t thrilled when he saw my name on the card.”

Glancing at the tallest of their group, Vincent understood. “He’ll think you’re a mole. I don’t think he’s that dense, Kap. He was surprised to see your name, and judging from Cyrus’ laugh, it was a last-minute change. Alpha Demers probably didn’t know.”

The beta sighed. His eyes were darting in different directions. “I don’t get it. Why me?”

“Look at who your mate is and tell me this doesn’t reek of drama.”

Kaplan snorted. "It does seem like something Cy would do. How about you? Feels weird to be facing your mate, right?"

Shrugging, Vincent smiled in an attempt to get one out of his friend. "I tussled with Mace once, and I'm honestly looking forward to facing him again, or maybe Remis. There's a lot that could happen, but I think I’d be more of a scout to this team."

Before Kaplan could respond, Cyrus took center stage once more. "Now that the teams are revealed, it's time to explain the rules. First and foremost, this game is full-contact. Everything goes, aside from life-threatening tactics. Should you wish to avoid an altercation, make it known immediately: call out, raise your arms, or bear your submission. This goes for both teams. Any confrontation inside resort facilities is to remain controlled. While the EC offers renovation coverage when we come here, we can’t burn the place down on purpose.

“Regarding the flag, the defense shall post it in a reasonable and stationary position. If a non-magical shapeshifter can not reach it, it’s labeled illegal. No putting it a hundred feet below ground, no taking it off the property, and no holding the flag on one’s person in any way.” A hand raised before Cyrus could continue. “Yes?”

“What’s considered in bounds?”

The panda’s smile curled on each side. “The entire property, aside from any housing units, employee-only areas, and on-premise businesses, is fair game. As we speak, one of the shadow mages is lining the perimeter with skunk concentrate. You’ll know when you’ve gone too far. Now, back to the rules of the flag. Once it’s placed, it can not be moved. The defense must be certain of their choice. Should the hunting party grab the flag, but lose control of it, that is its new home and can not be moved. The goal for Demers’ team is to grab, control, and drape the flag on this podium.”

Smacking the surface behind him, Cyrus continued, “Onto more productive topics. I’m sure some may be wondering why we chose to make a hunting party of just ten. Like most shapeshifters, I live for a challenge. As members of the defense, you have the right to capture, or incapacitate if necessary, your opposition. Once the hunting party leaves for deliberation, they are fair game for capture. Should you be successful, bring them to Sandoval, and they will be declared out of the game… and you’ll be treated to fifty percent off your EC dues for the next five years.”

Yells, howls, and cheers erupted in the hall. Damn, that’s loud! I understand their enthusiasm though. Mace’s excitement is loud and clear through our bond; he’ll probably come hunting for me at some point tonight.

The New York alpha raised his hand, shushing the crowd. “I see I don’t have to worry about a lack of participation from my new cohorts. Are there any final questions?” When none were raised, Cyrus looked at his phone. “It is now eight-fifteen. The game shall officially start at nine o’clock. By that time, both parties must have their plans readied, and the defense must have their flag in position. The game will end when the hunters are successful, or if the defense lasts until midnight. Alpha Demers? Time for our teams to separate.”

Demers nodded and waved to his allies, rounding them up. “Let’s head to the restaurant over there, my treat. If you didn’t get the chance to eat, now’s the time to build up your strength. We’ll introduce each other and come up with a gameplan.”

Joining a few tables, the group of ten gathered and began introductions. Vincent was pleased to meet the other four leaders. He had an immediate liking for Alfa Alma Barahona from Tegucigalpa. A soft-spoken Honduran who retained a certain rigidity in her posture. When he learned she was an ocelot, he was reminded of Caleb’s request to Mason. She doesn’t have the fur to be out in this snow. I wonder what she could bring to the table.

The others included a hardy lycan that was built like a bear. Vincent was intimidated by him. He could eat Dirk, if he wanted. Demers explained Alpha Darmon Shore represented the many smaller packs and arctic skulks in Northern Nunavut. The man was of few words, and often stared at Vincent. Offering a smile to him, Shore merely shifted his gaze back to Demers.

Drego sipped from his mug and leaned forward. “So, Alpha Demers? I take it from Vonder’s speech, you three hosts carefully crafted our team. I’m assuming you have our roles already set?”

“Sort of. We merely took the standards for a nine-man EC attack squad and plugged in the pieces. Between the three of us, we provided the best shifters from our neck of the woods, and whoever we deemed to be the most suitable was added.”

“For the role of scout, I’m assuming Vincent is the best then?”

Demers nodded. “From the option list, yes. Here’s the suggested role-sheet, but if you aren’t confident or comfortable with the assignment, we’ll reconfigure. No sense in having someone be uninterested during this event. Demers, commander. Drego, planner. Andrews, utility. Bolton, scout. Barahona, spy. Shore—”

“Hold it!” Beta Reina from Washington State spoke up. “You’re kidding me, right? Revealing our roles to him?” She pointed at Kaplan.

Vincent immediately stood. “He is a member of our team.” He wasn’t about to have his friend dragged through the mud.

“I agree with Alpha Bolton,” said Demers. “Mated Alpha Alvey's addition was not mentioned between myself, Cyrus or Alejandro. Cyrus meant to create trouble within our—”

“All the more reason to kick him out of here!” Reina crossed her arms and huffed. “He’s mates with the defense leader. They’ll be texting back and forth all night.”

Kaplan growled. He stood and slammed his phone on the table. “I won’t be talked down to like that. If you’d like, Alpha Demers can take this for the duration of the game and verify I won’t be betraying my team. I’m just as clueless as the rest of you, but my wolf still wants to win!”

Another slap of the table caused the tableware and cups to clatter. Shore’s massive hand laid firmly on the surface as he smirked at Kaplan. “I like him. He keeps the goal in mind. Scrawny… but full of heart.”

The group’s bickering was silenced after the declaration. Knowing time was of the essence, Vincent pinched the bridge of his nose and said, “Kap’s a good guy. Very intelligent, and his mind moves a million miles an hour. I suggest he work alongside Richard as a planner. Agreed?”

After a unanimous nod, Demers revealed a small envelope from his blazer pocket. “Here’s a few maps of the resort, mountain slopes, and forests. We’ll be relying heavily on Bolton, unless we have volunteers to help scout three thousand acres of terrain.”

“Not necessary,” mumbled Keller. He swallowed and set down his mug. “If I were in charge of placing and protecting a flag, I’d have it guarded. If there’s a shadow mage on our side, I’d bet there’s several mages surrounding it. All Alpha Bolton has to do is find groups, determine if they have the flag, then either move on or report back.”

Vincent scowled. “I’m not so sure, sir. Cyrus likes a good show, but I wouldn’t put it past him to hide the flag high in a tree. We have until midnight. I can travel at the speed of light, but it doesn’t do any good if I miss a flimsy piece of fabric. That, and I can’t see colors when I go into the shadows. It may blend in with a branch in my eyes.”

Drego turned to Kaplan. “We need information about your mate. What would he do? Hide it in plain sight, or defend it personally?”

All eyes fell onto the New York beta. Scratching his head, Kaplan sat still for a moment, grabbed his coffee, and he said, “He’d do both, at the same time. He mentioned a few weeks back he regrets not having the chance to go toe-to-toe with Vincent when he sparred with Dirk. There were plans for him to face both Tierney and Cyrus at the time.”

Shore shifted in his seat and glared at Vincent with a smile. “The New York Alphas wanted to fight him? Would Vonder be selfish and use the game to get his wish?”

Kaplan stared at his cup, but everyone could see the cogs in motion in his head. “I wouldn’t put it past Cy. If he’s defending the flag himself…”

In the lull, Barahona knocked on the table. “If I were to make a suggestion, I believe Alpha Bolton needs to be out there, viewing the enemy and their plans. If we can watch the placement of the flag now, it will save time in finding it.”

Everyone agreed, and Vincent registered several of the team’s phone numbers before vanishing. In a blink, he returned to the assembly hall. All of the bodies were still there, including all of his friends. None of them left? He walked closer to the stage in hopes of eavesdropping.

There was a slideshow projected behind the panda. Cyrus was holding a small remote in one hand and a ribbon in the other. The flag! Just wish I could tell what color it was. He decided against reappearing for a moment. They’d either scatter or move locations. At least I know how small it is.

“Does everyone understand your tasks? I want an even distribution across the seven mountain territories. For those going farther, be sure you’re capable of escorting a prisoner back to Sandoval. Try to have a mage within your ranks. They’ll be your best bet to take on Vincent Bolton. He has three affinities, so don't be afraid to go all out.”

Checking the time, there was still twenty minutes before the game began. I guess I’m sticking around here. Finding an open spot on the floor, Vincent sat. He smiled as Remis approached. The man was texting furiously. He’s probably dealing with the vampire stuff back home. Making sure his aura was manipulated properly, he watched Cyrus attentively, even as the Irishman passed by. A few more minutes passed, and Remis walked by again, cursing with every step. Vincent felt bad for him. He might have to cut the trip short to go take care of things.

Remis growled loudly. “Oi, Thunder Thighs!”

“Yes, Remis?”

“Got a present for ya.”

Confused by the outburst, Vincent turned just in time to see Remis’ finger glow. What the—

Lightning flashed, and a warm pressure knocked the wind out of Vincent. He was sent tumbling into the chairs behind him. Sucking in, he patted the orange embers on his clothes. Vincent seethed as he sat up. Damn, that hurt!

He blinked several times. His instincts were going haywire. Looking around, he noticed several glowing pairs of eyes, all different colors. I-I’m visible! Hiding in the shadows once more, he dashed to the other side of the room. Several of the players were mumbling to themselves, but there were more important tasks to handle. Taking off his shirt, he grunted. His chest felt like it was on fire. There was burned skin surrounding the open wound to his sternum. Vincent partially shifted to heal himself.

How? How did Remis know I was there?

No emit magic!

Yeah, no shit. He passed by, and somehow knew I was there. I wasn’t allowing my smog to linger or anything. He bit his bottom lip as Remis walked his way. Keeping his distance, he tried to detect any other mages in the room. No use; they’re using manipulation. Carefully watching the Irishman, he noticed something. That’s it! He’s manipulating his energy.

How?

See everyone’s hair? Everywhere he walks, their hair stands up. I’d say he’s making some sort of electromagnetic field. He can feel when someone’s in it, even if they’re not corporeal. Kind of like how we feel shadows.

That bad!

Grumbling, he assessed his next move. I can’t go after the flag since the game hasn’t started. I can stay hidden and try to get more information, but they all know I’m here. Traversing the wall, he perched on a support beam above the stage and grabbed his phone. Texting Drego, he relayed the events that had happened, including his bungle.

What discouraged the mage was the defense’s new tactics. They’re getting closer to Cyrus, and he’s whispering. I can’t hear him from here. He grimaced. If I get closer, I’ll get shot again.

His breath hitched when Cyrus jumped down from the stage. The bear waved to Remis to come closer, and many of the bodies dispersed from the room. What’s going on? Wait a minute…

Glancing at Cyrus and Remis, Vincent hustled to the exit. With every person leaving, he cursed to himself. Turning on his phone’s screen, he saw it was a few minutes until nine. Who has the flag?

He waited. His instincts told him to examine the others, but his wolf said otherwise. Remis and Cyrus not going.

Yeah… Yeah, they’re not. What the hell are they doing?

Fifteen remained in the hall: Cyrus, Remis, Mason, Caleb, Ashford, and ten others. They all grabbed chairs and tables from the center, placing them closer to the walls. The panda pointed in several directions, and five of the strangers left. Cyrus knelt and laid the flag flat on the ground. Him and Remis stood on both sides of it while the remaining leaders spaced themselves out, continuing the clearing of the furniture.

Vincent couldn’t believe it. They’re setting up camp here? So close to the podium?

A faint alarm rang. Cyrus brandished his phone and silenced it. “The game’s begun.”

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 28
  • Haha 5
  • Wow 7
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

I think we get caught up in life and having to be the "adult" in situations.  I absolutely love being the "child".   After my own struggles in life, I have thoroughly embraced being  "kid" again!!  Life is too short, we need to enjoy it!!!  AND I completely, absolutely, thoroughly enjoy getting lost in your stories!!!! Thank you!!!! 👑

I look forward to your comments every time I post a chapter, Patch. I'll make sure to write a wee bit faster to get you lost again soon. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

The comments are almost as interesting to read as the chapters themselves!  It’s interesting how differently people can interpret things.  Some stories people get a bit off-track and those discussions can be hilarious!

I love derailed comment sections! "Wait, what were we talking about?" 

3 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

I think their choice to stay in the room was eeeeevil lol. The hunters are the hunted! They have to get past everyone else, and everyone else knows where they’re trying to get to. 
 

Keeping people Vincent likes and loves in the room was devious, too. This is really a game testing HIM. 

Cyrus and his plots are soooo devious! They almost make me giggle just like him. I wonder how the team will respond when Vincent reports back. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

What a fun chapter!

I'm surprised the teams are not evenly balanced. In fact, there are ten hunters but many more defenders, which doesn't seem like a fair game. It seems like at least 25 or 30 defenders: Cyrus "waved to Remis to come closer, and many of the bodies dispersed from the room" with "Fifteen remained in the hall." Next Cyrus "pointed in several directions, and five of the strangers left" leaving ten still in the room, but most of the team dispersed elsewhere.

When Vincent first arrived, Cyrus was telling the defenders, "Does everyone understand your tasks? I want an even distribution across the seven mountain territories. For those going farther, be sure you’re capable of escorting a prisoner back to Sandoval. Try to have a mage within your ranks. They’ll be your best bet to take on Vincent Bolton. He has three affinities, so don't be afraid to go all out." Cyrus must have known Vincent would spy on them, which was why Remis was checking the room out. In which case, was Cyrus just trying to confuse and trick Vincent and the hunters, so they were left unsure: is the ribbon in Cyrus's hand and then on the floor actually the flag or did Cyrus sneak the real flag out with those who dispersed all over the property? Sneakiness within sneakiness.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, frosenblum said:

What a fun chapter!

I'm surprised the teams are not evenly balanced. In fact, there are ten hunters but many more defenders, which doesn't seem like a fair game. It seems like at least 25 or 30 defenders: Cyrus "waved to Remis to come closer, and many of the bodies dispersed from the room" with "Fifteen remained in the hall." Next Cyrus "pointed in several directions, and five of the strangers left" leaving ten still in the room, but most of the team dispersed elsewhere.

When Vincent first arrived, Cyrus was telling the defenders, "Does everyone understand your tasks? I want an even distribution across the seven mountain territories. For those going farther, be sure you’re capable of escorting a prisoner back to Sandoval. Try to have a mage within your ranks. They’ll be your best bet to take on Vincent Bolton. He has three affinities, so don't be afraid to go all out." Cyrus must have known Vincent would spy on them, which was why Remis was checking the room out. In which case, was Cyrus just trying to confuse and trick Vincent and the hunters, so they were left unsure: is the ribbon in Cyrus's hand and then on the floor actually the flag or did Cyrus sneak the real flag out with those who dispersed all over the property? Sneakiness within sneakiness.

Uh oh. I've turned some of my readers into conspiracy theorists. 

To this whole comment, I say 🤐🤐🤐. Sneaky Cyrus did come from my imagination... 

However, the rules did state the flag could not be on one's person. It has to be on display in a reasonable position... It may very well be somewhere on the 3,200 acre property.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Oh, this is going to be so good...  A game like no other.  

Plus, the challenge will be interesting; hope Vincent can control his wolf.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

Oh, this is going to be so good...  A game like no other.  

Plus, the challenge will be interesting; hope Vincent can control his wolf.

How to go about this... With what I have written so far, this game is going to be much harder than Vincent anticipated. He seemed so sure of himself when he was called up to be on the hunting squad. 

Lewis has another thing coming... Or will he get a visit from Vincent during the game? Possibilities, possibilities...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Story Reader said:

OUCH! That must have hurt Vin! Now that the game has begun then on to the next chapter

Might have time wait a bit, 'cause you're all caught up! I'll be working on the next chapter some tomorrow :)

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 4/28/2022 at 7:40 AM, Clancy59 said:

And, by the way, I thought the shifter community feared shadow mages.  What happened?

This has been bugging me since the second book.

On 4/28/2022 at 7:56 AM, drpaladin said:

The community might, but the EC has a number of them. They're more broad-minded.

The fact that even Stuerm wasn't surprised (or afraid) when they showed up to arrest him, gives lie to the so-called fear factor.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:58 AM, Clancy59 said:

You’re right.  I had forgotten how many shadow mages work for the EC.  Since this an EC sponsored event, there have to be many there.

So where is all that so-called evil shadow mages coming from? It only sorta showed up in the first book!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Games within games, I agree that Vincent will be tested to the utmost of his ability, I can see him going toe to toe with Alpha Vonder...

It's this...

The Charge - Children play war games on the streets of Paris during ...

or this...

What does Reddit think of my Halo photoshop? : gaming

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..