Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,781 Words
  • 2,516 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 13. Chapter 13: Vexatious Victory

Apologies if this chapter may seem a little awkward. I had a rough time with this one. The concept of the game spoke to me many months ago, but when it came time to write, it fizzled.
Hope you enjoy it!

Vincent returned to his seat on the support beam. His wolf debated with him about the situation. This isn’t ideal.

No. Big fight.

Yeah, with all of our friends plus a few randoms. I bet they’re mages. The five that left late are patrolling the other entrances to the building. I can probably take them out quickly, but it’s Cyrus and Remis I’m worried about. They’ll spot me the second I get too close.

Go fast?

Uh-uh! They got something up their sleeve. They tossed their phones and jewelry to Caleb. I bet there’s an electric field between them. Looking at the ribbon lying in front of the two lightning mages, his assumption was verified. It was wavering slightly, despite being on the ground with no wind in the building. One step, and I get zapped!

Go to team.

That’s what I’m thinking. Richard and Kaplan can come up with an attack plan.

Zipping back to the restaurant, his teammates were talking quietly. Reappearing in the bathroom, he walked out and joined them. “We’re in trouble.”

“Lose the flag?” asked Demers.

“Worse. It’s out in the open in the assembly hall. Cyrus and Remis are guarding it, and I can’t grab it. They can tell when I'm nearby in the shadows."

Barahona sighed softly. “Two lightning mages. They’ll shock anyone who gets near. Is it just them?”

Vincent shook his head. “My mate and enforcer are there, as well as Fred Ashford and ten others. I assume they’re mages that would somehow detect me.”

Shore’s eyes glowed bright. “Ashford… I want him.”

The shadow mage smirked. He might give Fred a run for his money, or at least be our best bet of breaking the front lines.

Asking the lycan waitress for a refill, Demers handed her his mug. “This isn’t the greatest set-up, but Vonder gave us a few options. He at least wants to make this an interesting game. The obvious option is a full-scale assault, but we’d be outnumbered and outskilled.”

“You doubt our skill in combat?” asked Reina.

“No, but against two lightning mages and the scary half of the Canton Couple? Alpha Shore, what’s your opinion on Fred Ashford?”

Shore growled with a toothy grin. The wide shoulder muscles were trembling. “He’d be my greatest challenge.”

“Alpha Demers?” asked Kaplan. “Can you describe the flag? It wasn’t shown during the rules.”

“It’s a long, crimson ribbon. Is that what you saw, Alpha Bolton?”

Nodding, the shadow mage addressed the group, “Yes, and please call me Vincent. Kaplan, Richard? What do you—”

He felt approaching shadows. At the entrance, but they’re not coming in. “Hang on a second.” Snapping his fingers, he carefully flew a pink ward through the deserted restaurant and hovered it near the front doors. “Damn! They’re waiting for us outside.”

Demers hummed. “We need to move anyway; we’re not in bounds at the moment. Can you get us out of here?”

“One at a time, yes. Alpha Shore, mind going first? You can act as protection in the transition.”

The Nunavut leader nodded. Vincent instructed everyone to feel weightless during the trip, and grabbed Shore. He didn’t want to take the group far, but there were an abundance of players near the resort’s main building. Even as he went further up the mountains, there were still people occupying the few warming cabins. Fuck me. Cyrus had them taken by his teams. Picking one north of the village, he knelt and allowed Shore to get off his back. “We’ll need to clear this out. Barahona and Vivian can’t handle the cold very well.”

“Agreed. There’s four that I see. We can take them.”

The moment he let Shore loose, Vincent sped towards one of the defenders and picked them up. He carried the unknown lycan for a brief second, but once an elbow slammed into his back, Vincent dropped him randomly in the forest and headed back to the cabin. A wolf was running away, and Shore was using another lycan as a shield. In front of him was a mage with fireballs in hand. Vincent raised an arm, conjuring a tendril. Latching onto the man’s ankles, he dragged the fire mage away further into the mountains. The screams were music to Vincent’s ears, but he smelled the skunk concentrate. Boundary line. Yeah, that’ll be fine.

He returned after abandoning the foe, then ran to the restaurant. Demers, Fenn, Drego, and Barahona were quiet during their trips, but Kaplan, Keller, Vivian, and Reina screeched and howled for the brief experience. Being an ocelot, Barahona and the Northern Harrier, Vivian, huddled around one of the space heaters. Fenn, Shore, and Keller took responsibility and watched for approaching players. Drego, Kaplan, and Demers bickered with Reina on potential strategies in the center of the room. It’s almost like a dysfunctional family.

Sitting with Vivian and Barahona, he learned how a hawk’s kettle worked. Strange, but I’m not judging. There wasn’t a permanent home for Vivian’s followers, but they migrated together during the changing seasons. They had several homes to revisit, particularly in Texas and Michigan. So, the Great Lakes when it gets warmer, and the lower Franklin Mountains in the winter.

Aside from a few questions from Kaplan about his powers and capabilities, Vincent kept conversation with the ladies. When he mentioned Mason’s intention of asking for a change in venue, they were delighted and pledged to support the motion. Reina shouted her support as well, claiming the snow was getting old.

He checked in with the planning committee and was discouraged by their efforts. They’ve been at this for over an hour and a half. Surely they can come up with something! Leaving them be, he ventured outside to the others. Fenn had shifted to his wolf. With a walnut-brown coat, the lycan sat with closed eyes. The beta huffed, explaining himself. Got it. He’s feeling the earth around him. He can detect movement like I can with shadows. Now I see why Demers had him on utility duty. Fenn makes a great sentry, attacker, and defender. He can even make a hole for us to hide in if need be.

Shore and Keller were mumbling musings to each other. Vincent smirked at the Nunavut leader’s request for a friendly spar following the one with Lewis. He’s just like Fred. Just… a little wild, I guess.

Keller called Shore a fool for doing such a thing. “McCabe told me this guy could kill me in an instant! Why fight when you know you would probably lose?”

“Actually,” Vincent interjected, “Fred Ashford beat me in a spar. He grabbed my shadowy tentacle and dropped my ass pretty easily.”

Shore dug a heel into the snow and laughed. “A glass cannon. I respect them greatly. They can wipe out many with a single action, but it takes one hit to shatter their bones. Now my challenge burns with a passion. Do you accept, Alpha Bolton?”

Vincent offered his hand. “My wolf’s honored to do so.”

“So open to the notion,” Keller muttered. “I can imagine you’ll have several requests tomorrow night. It’s not often us leaders get to challenge a shadow mage.”

“I’m happy to agree to as many as I can.”

“I hope you have intentions of belittling that Arizona goon,” suggested Keller.

Vincent shrugged. “I have something in mind, but it might ruin any spars after that. Don’t bring any popcorn. You’ll probably drop it.”

Shore’s gleam was bothersome, causing Vincent to snort. Give him a bigger threat, and he’ll probably get a boner.

Big wolf want fight. I want fight.

You can have ‘im, bud. Alpha Shore will—

“Vincent,” Drego called out, “do you mind coming over? I think we have a plan”

Vincent hurried to the crowded table. Listening to the plan, the shadow mage was in complete disbelief. Remaining silent until the end, he was uncertain it would work as it all depended on one person. He turned and asked, “Are you sure?”

***

“Mr. Gage! Time?”

The lion glanced at a phone and hollered back, “Ten ‘til eleven. Seventy minutes until we win.”

Cyrus grumbled. “Put the cocky attitude on simmer. An hour is plenty of time. How are you holding up, Remis?”

The obnoxious smirk said it all. “Loads in the tank. You?”

Feeling a slight strain on his shoulders, Cyrus rolled them. His magic faltered for a second, but he regained his composure soon after. “Just a little stiff. Yvonne? How are the ones outside?”

The middle-aged lycan kept her eyes closed. She answered in his mind, They’re fine, Alpha Vonder. Tulse says he’s bored, so I told him to take another lap.

Cyrus giggled. Excellent! So far, his plan worked perfectly. There was a troubling report the hunting team took the warming cabin to the north, and when no other news came, the panda worried. They’re plotting. I expected Vincent to come and spy, but after Remis’ first shot, there’s been no other activity. Vincent knows better. Hell, he might have felt our magic. We’re putting off an intense field between us. Mason hasn’t felt anything from Vincent, and I haven’t with Kaplan either.

No put pup on team.

I still believe it was an interesting move. A small bet, but it seems it was an incorrect move. With Reina on their team, it may have bought us some time. She’s not one to trust strangers, and Kaplan would’ve been cast away. Vincent probably made sure that didn’t happen.

Drego smart.

Yes, but he’s been behind a desk for decades. All of that information hunting and brokering has left him rusty.

Shore strong.

So is Ashford. The only reason the hunting party didn’t get him instead was of Shore’s instincts. That man will do anything to survive… and win. Honestly, I couldn’t tell you who would win in a fight. We might see that tonight, my bear.

No want. Want win game!

Of course. We just need to keep focusing on our energy. Still, Cyrus expected more action by this time. Oh, come on. Don’t give me an easy victory. Vincent knows the flag is here. Surely, he—

The main door to the assembly hall slowly opened. Cyrus watched every member of his team tense up. “Steady,” he muttered. No part of the body was shown for a few seconds, but when the person entered, Cyrus sneered in confusion. What… What is this? How did he get past Tulse and the others? “Kaplan?”

His mate closed the door behind him and looked at every person in the room. Mason and Ashford shared a few murmurs, but Cyrus couldn’t hear. What’s he doing? Scouting?

Kaplan walked directly towards the center of the room. Determination was apparent, and that scared Cyrus. He’s serious. Courtroom serious. I can almost smell it in the air. This has to be a ploy; a distraction for—

The panda’s jaw went lax as Kaplan pointed at Ashford, then advanced towards the towering delta. The closer Kaplan got, the more focused he became. Cyrus was concerned when the delta wasn’t backing down either. His heart pounded. No…

He understood their plan. Possible outcomes unfolded as the two men stared at each other. The bear trembled, barely capable of feeding his energy towards Remis. Got to keep this up. The whole game rests on our field. Between supplying magic and watching his mate’s visual challenge, Cyrus’ attention was at its limit.

He gasped as Kaplan kneed Ashford in the gonads. Shocked to see his mate commit an act of violence for the first time, Cyrus couldn’t believe it. H-he did it. He initiated a physical challenge! The larger lycan doubled over, but only for a brief moment. Ashford towered over the beta with a snarl.

Surprise was replaced with anxiety and concern. His mate just assaulted one of the most terrifying and experienced deltas on the planet. Can Kaplan fight?

“Freddie!” Remis’ shout shattered Cyrus’ concentration. “Just pick ‘im up and go to Sandoval. No need to get nasty.”

Ashford growled, but so did Kaplan. The beta spat on the ground. “Is that what you’re going to do? Chicken out of a fight? I thought you were tougher than tha—

Kaplan couldn’t finish his sentence. Cyrus watched his mate soar after Ashford landed a kick to the chest. Power rushed to his eyes once the smaller lycan crumpled on the ground. His breath hitched as Kaplan groaned and rose slowly. “Kaplan!”

Cyrus was powerless. He felt truly powerless. Stuck in a decision to continue defending the flag, or assisting his mate, the bear could not decide. It’s… It’s obviously orchestrated. Kaplan came in and did that! As far as I know, he’s never met Ashford. I move, and Vincent will swoop in to take the flag. I… I don’t know!

A wave of nausea hit the panda as Kaplan rushed at Ashford once more. “Kaplan, stop!”

The request was ignored. Cyrus bit his bottom lip when his mate was sent flying again. I didn’t foresee this! Am I this readable? M-my bear, what do I do?

A low, sad growl echoed within his mind. His animal spirit was troubled by the situation as well. Not know. Want help mate.

Agreed, but how?

Capture, take out of game.

Cyrus turned to Remis. “How long can you hold the field by yourself?”

His fellow lightning mage appeared indignant. “You’re jokin’!”

“I am not. Either get Ashford to carry Kaplan to Sandoval, or I will.” Focusing on the tussle again, Cyrus was relieved to see the larger man dragging Kaplan towards the exit in a headlock. All I want is his safety. He prayed, Just give in, my pup. The plan was ingenious, but futile.

His hopes were dashed when his mate managed to lift himself in the hold and bite Ashford’s forearm. As a low cry rang throughout the hall, Ashford struck Kaplan on the skull with a palm strike. Every muscle in Cyrus’ body clenched. To see the man he loved be hit repeatedly was torturous. He wanted to do something. He needed to stop it!

The panda took a step, and his instincts sounded an alarm within his mind.

Alpha! Yvonne said sternly within his conscious. Tulse reported eight incoming combatants, including Shore—

Her declaration continued as Cyrus’ vision was swept away. Gone was the inside of the resort, and replacing it was an aerial view from outside. Clairvoyance! Punching himself in the thigh, he regained his bearings, but heard Remis’ grunts. Turning, he saw the Irishman wrapped in an inky tendril. With one arm free, Remis grabbed it, sending visible electricity along the appendage.

Vincent screamed in agony. Cyrus’ mind was clear once more. The battle! Still in its place, the flag was untouched. He stood over it and asserted his magic, protecting the area around it and himself. No one’s going to touch it. Cyrus looked around and assessed the situation.

The hall was in chaos. Remis was keeping Vincent’s shadows at bay using bolts. Mason and Caleb’s lion were struggling against Fenn Andrews and Vivian’s Northern Harrier hawk. Cyrus winced as the large bird swooped and gave the ailorous a laceration on his back. Closer to the entrance, Ashford was trading vicious blows with Shore, all while Kaplan laid prone. He’s not getting up. Probably knocked unconscious. Not seeing any more of the players, he assumed the rest were still outside.

I need control. Readying a finger, Cyrus pointed at Fenn and released a small amount of energy. The shot was clean and effective. Knocked off his feet, the earth mage was soon pounced on by the Owensville alpha. One down.

Remis growled behind him. “Need a hand here!”

Redirecting his attention, Cyrus saw the standoff in action. Every time Vincent threw a shard of ice, Remis shattered it with lightning. Concerned with his own depleting energy stores, the panda generated a small orb in his hand. It shone bright with tiny sparks crackling inside. He waited for Vincent to move again.

He widened his eyes at the shorter alpha as a black veil covered Vincent’s entire body. Remis fired another bolt, and it struck the human-shaped darkness. Vincent fell back and slammed into a wall, but the silhouette vanished, leaving a puff of smog.

Something wrapped around Cyrus’ ankle and pulled from behind. As the panda fell, he heard Vincent screaming again, surely from penetrating the electrical field. Landing, Cyrus rolled over and pointed at Kaplan’s nose with a glowing finger.

With labored breathing, he blinked. K-Kaplan? But that… Wasn’t that Vincent screaming? Examining his mate, blood trickled down Kaplan’s forehead, and his hand was still grabbing the bear’s ankle.

Looking at where the flag was, Cyrus cringed. He rolled once more and saw Vincent at the podium. The crimson ribbon was draped over the top of the wooden surface. Checking the time, his phone had 11:39 P.M. in a white font. We lost.

Disappointment bubbled inside him. He intended to lead the defense to victory. Something laced his thigh, distracting him. Glancing at Kaplan once more, Cyrus couldn’t help but smile. “Outsmarted by my own beta.”

Kaplan coughed out a short laugh. “That’s going to leave a mark. Isn’t… Isn’t that right, my bear?”

Cyrus relaxed any traces of magic and cradled the smaller man in his arms. The lycan was breathing heavily, clearly exhausted. “I am so proud of you, my pup. You aren’t going to tell me it was your bright idea to pick a fight with Ashford, are you?”

“Sorry,” the beta squeaked. He reached up, touched his bloody head, and looked at his fingers. “It went a lot better in my head, if I’m being honest.”

Kissing his mate’s injury, he helped Kaplan to his feet and addressed the shifters in the room. “May I have everyone’s attention? I hereby decree the hunting party as the victors of this year’s game!”

Praise and dejected sighs from the respective teams blended. Leading the way, Cyrus informed Sandoval of the ending, who promptly sent a mass-text to all participants. Seeing Demers and Keller outside, the panda congratulated them on their success. As several of the defense members passed, Cyrus thanked them, and apologized for not holding up his end of the plan. Most of them were understanding. They even asked about Kaplan’s injuries, to which Cyrus beamed pride. He went above and beyond expectations, from both sides. I saw the nod of respect Shore gave my pup.

Approaching their cabin in the village, Cyrus swept Kaplan off his feet. “You deserve the pampering of a lifetime,” he whispered.

Kaplan hummed as he nuzzled the bear’s neck. “I could use a shift and a shower, and maybe some food.”

They entered, and were pleased with the warmth from the heater. Cyrus eyed the fireplace, but decided it would be of more use tomorrow evening after the challenges. Not tonight. He seems too tired for any fooling around, wouldn’t you say, my bear?

Yes. Long night. Tired too.

It hadn’t dawned on Cyrus how fatigued he was. His energy stores were low. Not as bad as my inauguration, but enough to be concerned. A little meditation tomorrow before the meetings.

Before bed. Make sleep easier.

Correct, as always. He was curious why Kaplan had not transformed yet, and instead elected to shower first. Joining his mate, Cyrus lathered the lycan with intense care. A large bruise on the man’s back discomforted him. That must have been where he landed after the first kick. Kissing it gently, the bear growled to himself. “I’m sorry.”

“What?” Kaplan asked. The man turned, unknowingly hiding the lesion. “Why?”

“I put the game before your safety. Thinking of causing strife among the hunters came first. Had I known you would get hurt, I—”

A finger landed on his lips. Kaplan smiled and hugged him. The smooth and wet skin soothed Cyrus’ animal. “It was a game, Cy. The rules were set, and I wasn’t the only one who got hurt. I heard Vincent screaming, and I doubt Shore and Ashford had a tickle fight. Besides, I had fun! It was all part of the plan to catch you off-guard.”

Curling a smile of his own, Cyrus held the man in place. “I can’t believe you volunteered for that.”

“Neither did the team. Alpha Galby called me a lunatic, but I dared him to come up with a better plan. Alpha Drego said it was our best shot, unless Vincent wanted to electrocute himself to get you and Remis out of the way.”

“Oh, that would’ve been cute,” Cyrus said with a giggle. “Vincent had no chance. Remis and I were bouncing energy off each other; a form of transference, if you will. Our bodies can absorb electricity, but not at the rate we were expending energy. The amount of magic we were using… Well, let’s say Vincent would rather want to step into a deep fryer.”

Drying off, Cyrus stepped out of the shower and tossed a towel to Kaplan. “I’m rather surprised you haven’t shifted yet. Do you intend to bandage yourself, or do you have another evil plan?”

“No. I figured this was sort of a vacation, so I’ll be shifting after I dry off. Ever since I first went to Owensville, my wolf’s been coming out of his shell more and more. If you’re okay with it, I’d like to let him come out and sleep in his form.”

“An excellent idea! Would you rather sleep in the bed or in front of the fireplace?” When Kaplan appeared confused, Cyrus dropped his towel and grabbed the one draped around the beta’s hips. “I’ve been itching to rub furs with you, my pup. To have your wolf curled against my bear… I’ve dreamed of this moment.”

Without receiving a proper answer, Cyrus left and lit the electric fireplace. Feeling the radiating warmth of the realistic flames, his instincts told him the wolf was watching. He transformed; black and white hairs protruding from his body as he landed on four paws. The rug underneath was thin, but it was better than laying on the hardwood floor directly.

Turning just as the nearby snapping sounds ended, Cyrus admired Kaplan’s sandy wolf trotting towards him. He was amused when the beast circled him, sniffing different limbs and body parts. Finding a position close to the fire but far enough away to prevent overheating, the panda laid on his belly. Kaplan licked Cyrus’ face before falling on his side. There was a smidgen of space between them, so Cyrus raised pulled the wolf closer. Within moments, Kaplan was asleep, to which the bear followed soon after.

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 48
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

11 minutes ago, Story Reader said:

Very well written! I agree, BRAVO! I enjoyed this chapter a lot. I am glad Kaplan is alright though. Hope Vincent is!

Oh, Vincent's okay. He needs to learn what pain feels like. He's only fought Dirk, so getting zapped seems appropriate. 

Thanks for commenting, SR!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Oh, Vincent's okay. He needs to learn what pain feels like. He's only fought Dirk, so getting zapped seems appropriate. 

That’s what I was thinking when Vincent decided to accept as many challenges as he could — excellent (albeit painful) training for his final big face off.

I liked the game! 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

That’s what I was thinking when Vincent decided to accept as many challenges as he could — excellent (albeit painful) training for his final big face off.

I liked the game! 

Bingo! Our favorite shadow mage needs to get ready for his thrashing with Yakob in March!

Thanks for commenting, Geemeedee!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, JR Tittle said:

I loved this chapter! Not awkward but full of drama and twisted plots! 

Yay! Love me some drama and plot twisting. Glad you liked it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The game was a blast! Pure genius sending Kaplan in to make it a battle of the heart for Cyrus. Hope it’s time for Tasha’s father to get his ass beat down.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dan South said:

The game was a blast! Pure genius sending Kaplan in to make it a battle of the heart for Cyrus. Hope it’s time for Tasha’s father to get his ass beat down.

The play was pretty genius, but at the cost of Kap getting kicked across an assembly hall. Even I didn't think Kap had it in him...

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

The thing I loved the most about the battle was that it was actually centered around someone other than Vinny! Sure, Vin captured the flag, but if Kaplan hadn't sacrificed himself, it wouldn't have happened!

  • Love 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Al Norris said:

The thing I loved the most about the battle was that it was actually centered around someone other than Vinny! Sure, Vin captured the flag, but if Kaplan hadn't sacrificed himself, it wouldn't have happened!

I loved writing this game. With Cyrus spearheading the defense, there needed to be a response from the offense that would throw the panda off his game. Obviously having his mate getting his tushie kicked two ways from Sunday was the answer...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
11 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

What's the old saw..."Al's fair in love and war!!"

All's flair would fit too.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..