Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,435 Words
  • 2,228 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 24. Chapter 24: Ardent Arrest

“What’s going on?” Harold grumbled, “Pleasure, displeasure. I won't mention how rude it is to barge in without an appointment."

Seeing the pompous jackass sit in the elegantly tufted chair, Cyrus was challenging himself. I haven’t been this furious in a long, long time. It’s taking everything in my power to keep this facade afloat. The bear clicked his tongue and spun to face Tilliman. “How rude of me! Have you two been introduced? Harold, this is Mr. Tilliman. He’s the chairman of the New York City Coven.”

Snyder’s color paled slightly, and Cyrus loved it. He kept the gas pedal down and approached the desk. “You see, Harold, we’re here because we need to talk to you about something.” Lacing a finger on the back of the seat in front of the desk, he pinched it, measuring its quality. “You’ve been a rather busy businessman lately. Purchasing property, renovation… Expanding your horizons, aren’t you? Certainly not something I’d expect from such an established steel and construction man like yourself.”

“It’s normal to have other avenues of business, Alpha Vonder. I’m sure you and Mr. Tilliman have your own separate ventures.”

“You’re quite right; we do. I can’t speak for Mr. Tilliman, but at least I keep my dealings clean.” He turned and approached the window to the left.

The lycan’s face reddened. “Are you insin—”

Cyrus spun again, this time to stare down his adversary. Power flowed freely to his eyes, but he did not know whether his irises were his panda’s green ones or his magic’s blue. He clutched the chair’s backing, penetrating the cheap cloth. “Yes, I insinuate because I know.”

“You know?”

“Everything,” Cyrus growled. “You put your fingers in so many pies, and you couldn’t bother to wash your hands prior. You’ve ruined many parties because of it, and no one likes a fucked up dessert, Harold.”

Snyder rolled his eyes and kicked up a leg. “I have no idea what you’re—”

To be mocked… The panda snarled and dug his fingers into the upholstery of the chair. Flinging it behind him, Cyrus yelled. “Liar!”

The only calming act was Tilliman catching the seat by the leg with one hand. It immediately stilled in the air, only to be gently placed on the ground without making noise. The elderly vampire exhibited no strain whatsoever. “Alpha Vonder, please. It should be me who is frustrated.”

“No,” he spat, “I knew this man was a snake the moment I met him. To bark and bitch about one’s leader behind their back. It’s cowardly, and your wolf should be ashamed.”

Snyder launched to his feet, but in a flash, Tilliman had black, scaly hands on the lycan’s shoulders. “I suggest you sit, unless you enjoy dislocated limbs.”

Cyrus, even in his fury, had to admit the vampire was impressive. His speed is remarkable. Much faster than any other I’ve seen. Focusing on the task in front of them, the panda kicked the other chair aside and pressed against the desk. “Where was I?”

Tilliman droned monotonously, “It’s cowardly, and his wolf should be ashamed.”

“Ah, yes! Fight the words as you must, but it’s true. From what you’ve done, we actual businessmen see your tactics for what they really are. Devious, underhanded, and worst of all, cruel. You disguised it well, I’ll give that one to you. But your downfall was greed. It always is for bastards like you. You do it once, and it feels so good in your veins you must do it again, and again… and again until the bodies start piling up.”

Snyder slumped in his seat, shaking his head vigorously. “N-no, I never killed anyone.”

“You might as well have,” murmured Tilliman. “You evicted so many people and families behind the ruse of property improvements and rent increases.”

“Leading to an increase in homelessness,” Cyrus continued. “I knew it was an issue when I took over as Pack Alpha, but to know one of the men causing it was one of the men who welcomed me. Remember the first question I answered in that meeting we met? What is my first goal as Alpha?"

The lycan whispered, "Homeless—"

"Homelessness, yes!" Cyrus exclaimed with a smack of the desk. "I promised to focus on it, and where better to start? You see, Mr. Tilliman has offered to help me, and his information is vital to my venture."

"Quite," said Tilliman. He looked at the door frame and called out, "Miss Weidman! Could you bring the packet I asked for?"

"Yes, Mr. Tilliman." The thin woman emerged with a manilla envelope and handed it to the vampire.

Snyder appeared confused. "Sheila?"

"Fuck off, you fat sack of shit." She adjusted her glasses, whipped her long, silver hair out of her face, and palmed her hips. "You call yourself a lycan? You do know your virus is supposed to burn fat and tone your muscles, right? Not even a cow could eat as much as you do."

"Miss Weidman," Tilliman harped softly, "you did a fine job, but there's no need to make fun of a man's weight."

"Yeah, there is," her head bobbed as she argued. "I have to go to the gym and walk two miles a day, and take my medications. He's soiling a natural gift by cramming double-cheeseburgers up his ass."

Cyrus had to bite his lip. She's a funny one. Maybe I should steal her from… No, Tilliman probably pays her in gold bricks. I couldn't afford her. As the agent walked aside, he giggled. "Oh, and Alex sends his regards, Harold. He hated missing this, but there were other fish to catch today. Mr. Tilliman, would you do the honors?"

The vampire moved to face Snyder, and the rest of his human skin turned black and scaly. "Harold Snyder. From our investigations, you have been found to be abusing landlord laws, misappropriating funds, wrongfully evicting tenants belonging to both NYCC and NYSP, all for the purpose of attempting to relocate them to your other, more expensive apartment properties. You moved these people to improve the property value so you can put new people in them, making more money. Meanwhile, you endanger the evicted by sending them to the street."

"R-Rochter!" Snyder blabbed, "He handles the transfers."

"Transfers?" Cyrus asked.

"He's supposed to transfer the old tenants to the new property. If he's fucking that up, it's on him."

The panda sneered at the man. “It doesn’t matter who. You pay Rochter, so you both fucked up. Being the businessman, you should’ve supervised more. The fact is people were made homeless, and there are severe consequences to that. Evict an unstable shifter, and they can lose their sense of belonging to the pack. Go long enough without that, and we have ferals on our hands. Not something the city of New York can handle very well, can it?”

When Snyder shirked his gaze away, Cyrus growled. He pinched the lycan’s cheeks, forcing the man to pay attention. “Homelessness causes mental issues. Mental issues lead to ferals. Feral wolves and bears running amok in the streets… Do I need to spell it out for you, or are you that shit of a thinker? The world watches this city with a microscope. There is a reason I have twenty-eight council members. Control must be owned for a pack this size, you ignorant fool.”

Releasing Snyder, Cyrus took a deep breath and muttered to Tilliman. “Continue, if you would.”

“Having all of that said,” Tilliman spoke, “both the New York City Coven and the leaders of the New York State Pack find you guilty of the aforementioned crimes and find you a threat to revealing the supernatural world. Do you find yourself guilty?”

“I… I’m guilty of the landlord stuff and planning this, but I’m not going down for Rochter’s failures.”

Tilliman’s eyes glowed crimson red. “Do you swear to this statement?”

Cyrus huffed as Snyder nodded. What an idiot. He just pissed on his chances of parole. To lie to the most powerful vampire on the North American continent. He watched Tilliman escort Snyder out. Staying in the room, he was met by Sheila. “Excellent work, Miss Weidman. Your time and effort spent on this investigation is noteworthy.”

She shrugged and sauntered behind the desk. “It’s not my best work. Longest job I stayed for was five years, but that forced me to climb up the rungs of the food industry. Went from a waitress to a co-partner of a four-star restaurant. Really took a lot out of me to give it all up when it came time to bust the man who gave me the keys to the place.”

Impressed by her dedication, he handed her a business card. “I know I could never afford you, but there's no harm in offering.”

Sheila’s smile was genuine, but she pushed it away. “Sorry, Mr. Vonder. I’m afraid you’ll have no use for me. This was my last gig, and Mr. Tilliman is sending me off with a proper retirement package.”

“Curiosity has my number. Going somewhere exotic?”

She smirked. “Mr. Vonder. I didn’t get to be Mr. Tilliman’s agent by blabberin’.”

Cyrus giggled as the woman walked away. That’s funny. Probably the last time I’ll see her. Oh well! I can tell she’s that good. Following along, he saw the open and empty elevator, telling him the lady took the stairs. Oh, she’s really good. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s rappelling down the building right now. He grabbed his phone as he laughed to himself. A new message… From Alex.

Rochter’s in custody. Moore has him now.

“Excellent,” he purred. Typing back, he continued his plan. Well done, enforcer. I need you at tonight’s pack meeting. You’ll be rejoining the council. Dress sharply.

***

Wedging a finger between the tie and his neck, Wagner pulled. These things suck! I hate formal shit.

“Alex.”

He spun and saw Kaplan, Moore, and Cyrus. “Beta Alvey, Enforcer Moore, Alpha Vonder.”

The bear waved a hand. “Not working at the moment, Alex. I’ll be on the clock once the meeting starts. You look rather dapper, young wolf. A little drab in color, but not everyone can handle a peach suit.”

No, they can not. He admired the faded nectarine cloth the panda wore. It was casual, but the man exuded elegance. The man could wear a suit with opossums etched on, and still look fly. “Looks great on you, sir.”

“Told you it looks fine,” whispered Kaplan.

Cyrus rolled his eyes and patted the beta’s rear. “Alex, would you mind grabbing a seat in the front row? I’ll be calling you up at the beginning of the meeting. That way you’ll have your rightful place at my side sooner than later.”

Wagner nodded. The three moved on into the main hall, only to have Moore glance at him. The gesture was interesting, but Wagner paid no attention to it. Following his leader’s instruction, he claimed a chair as close as possible. Even though he knew he would be taking his spot back on the council, the glares from across the room were like daggers. They think I’m a disgraced delta. By now, they’ve heard about my crap with Alpha Bolton.

A few moments went by uneventfully, until he caught a familiar scent. No…

He shifted in his seat and looked behind him, then to his left. A chill ran down his spine.

“Delta Wagner.” The man’s tone was cold as ice.

“Alpha Bolton?” Wagner saw the lurking figure behind the short alpha, and stood to give them his bared neck. “Alpha Wilson. I didn’t know you two were coming.”

Vincent’s smile was calming. “Cyrus called half an hour ago. We made it just in time, right?”

“Y-yeah.”

“Hey,” Mason said as he slapped Wagner’s shoulder. “Cy filled us in on what you did to help your pack. Nice work.”

“I agree,” chimed Vincent. “What you did was impressive. I can tell you’ve done a lot of changing since we last met. I wanted to tell you you’ve earned some of my respect back.”

Hearing that made Wagner’s heart soar. “Thank you, sir. Did you get the letter I sent?”

“I did. At the time, I didn’t think much of it, if I’m being honest. Now that I’ve seen the passion you have for your pack and what you would do to help your brethren…” Vincent reached into his jacket pocket and brandished a folded paper. “I take back what I said last time. I consider you an ally. Just promise me you'll help Cyrus take care of the pack.”

The delta saw it was his letter. He brought it? Determination was abundant. “Yes, Alpha. I promise.”

“Good. Mind if we sit next to you? I think Cyrus is about to get started.”

Having the Kentuckians next to him, Wagner focused on the council. Cyrus adjusted the microphone on the podium, then banged a gavel. “I call this meeting to order. Thank you for coming, everyone. I see some familiar faces this evening, and I’m so ecstatic to have some guests. Before we continue, I would like to introduce them. From Alpha Scott’s new home, we have Alphas Mason Wilson and Vincent Bolton from Owensville, Kentucky. Please give them a round of applause, will you?”

Wagner joined the crowd as the pair of alphas stood and awkwardly waved. Couple of country boys. Not used to the commotion, are you?

As the claps died down, Cyrus continued, “Tonight’s meeting is no ordinary one, I’m afraid. Some of you have heard the whispers of what occurred earlier today, and they will be confirmed now. One of our prominent members, Harold Snyder, has been taken into custody by NYCC, and has been found guilty of some serious crimes against the vampire community, and our own.”

Murmurs and whispers littered the large room. When Cyrus held his hand up, they silenced. “If one is to recall my statements when I was first introduced to you all those months ago, you’ll remember a specific one. I will turn over paws until I find underhandedness, and so I did. The crimes our dear friend Harold committed were heinous, and while he deserves to rot in our prison, he harmed the vampire community even more. He has earned whatever fresh hell comes his way in the VPN jail.

“But our pack must thank someone, for without him, we would not have known about Harold’s deeds. One of our beloved members was tasked with acting undercover, and helped both myself and Mr. Tilliman of the NYCC reveal the evil acts going on. At first, I did not have much faith in his performance, but as he prepared for the job, I knew I had the right wolf. Alex, could you please stand?”

Wagner rose. A few around him spoke unintelligibly, but Cyrus’ voice boomed. “This man exposed both Harold… and the treasonous worm, Enforcer Rochter.”

Seeing the empty chair among the enforcers made him smile. It felt so right to clock the bastard, and even more so when he clicked the handcuffs.

“Enforcer Rochter is hereby stripped of all council power, and pending trial, his general membership to NYSP is suspended. Delta Wagner, stand before me and prepare to receive your markings."

Approaching, movement distracted him. Morris was stepping out as well. Landing in front of Cyrus, the head enforcer stood next to him. What the…

The panda turned to Morris. “Head Enforcer Bertrand Morris. At my inauguration, we spoke of this moment, and I am proud of the work you’ve accomplished. But here we are.”

“Thank you, Alpha,” Morris said softly.

“You may be seated.”

Wagner watched in stupor as Morris walked away, then took a seat in Rochter’s place.

“Delta Alexander Wagner,” Cyrus’ voice boomed as he removed his jacket. “In a moment’s notice, you acted on my orders, even if it meant being portrayed as a disobedient pup to everyone in the general membership. You performed brilliantly, and with the execution of a seasoned enforcer. I trusted you to take down Harold, and you succeeded. Now, I trust you to be by my side.”

The panda rolled up his sleeves and partially shifted a hand. Puncturing his palm, Cyrus closed the distance. “I am inducting you as my permanent Head Enforcer. You will lead the council by example, ensure the city’s safety, and most importantly, protect my mate in my stead. Do you recognize and accept the responsibilities I have issued?”

There was no lump in his throat, and certainly no hesitation. “Yes, Alpha.”

He stood with pride as Cyrus marked him with blood. Each stroke felt more powerful than the next. Head Enforcer. The position was never thought of, but he gladly accepted it. Vonder doesn’t seem like the type to welcome one into his private circle. To be chosen… Am I worth—

“Alex,” Cyrus whispered. “You are one of the two people I trust in this pack. Be confident, for it soothes me. Morris was a formality, and he knew it. The moment you walked away from me at the stadium, I knew you were destined to stand at my side.”

Wagner swallowed, then remembered something that was said a while back. “You threatened me.”

“Pardon?”

“When I first saw your mark on Kaplan, you threatened me. Said I wouldn’t be answering to Alpha Scott if I harmed Kaplan again. Now I’m tasked with protecting him. Did… Did you have this planned since then?”

The panda’s emerald irises gleamed as Wagner was spun around. Of course he did. It’s Alpha Vonder. He probably has an itinerary for the next decade.

“This is my Head Enforcer!” Cyrus yelled. “He shall be recognized for his accomplishments, and is worthy of standing by my side. Let us celebrate him!”

The crowd of three hundred clamored. Wagner silently accepted the applause. The rest of the evening was a blur to him. He barely remembered any of the agenda items, but after the final bang of the gavel, he found himself at Cyrus’ side as they journeyed outside to the street.

“So, Enforcer Wagner,” sang Cyrus, “it seems your bar-bouncing days are over, yes? The pay raise to head enforcer is rather hefty, if I recall. Think you’ll have your new bike by the end of the month?”

The thought was enticing, but his mind was already there. "Actually sir, I—"

"Cyrus."

"No," Wagner argued, "I'm working. First thing I'm doing is looking into new housing. If I'm to protect and serve you and yours, then I can't be an hour away. After that, a car or SUV."

"I don't understand," stated Kaplan. "You're changing your goals?"

"For the sake of the job," answered Cyrus. "I admit, I wasn't expecting this. Kaplan, arrange some time for vehicle shopping. It's time we get ourselves one."

"Larger than a Prius, got it."

As Kaplan tapped away on his phone, Cyrus grabbed Wagner's shoulder. "To think you were going to pay for a vehicle to haul me around in… A nice gesture, but unnecessary. As for your new home, I know of a place, and I happen to still own it. How do you like heated tiles?"

He instantly recognized what the alpha was talking about. "Your old condo?"

"That puts you within four blocks of me. I don't think you'll find anything closer. There's a reserved parking spot out back for your bike as well."

"How much?" It's a condo, and it's miles into the sky. It won't be cheap.

The bear hummed and walked away. "I guess I'll have to talk to my accountant at some point. Oh, but he is a rather busy man."

Before Wagner could say more, Kaplan handed him a key-card. "Good job, Alex. You've changed a lot."

The delta grimaced. "I don't think I deserve all of this."

"The position? You do. There's no one better. As far as the condo, that's Cy being lazy."

"Lazy?"

Kaplan smirked and followed Cyrus, prompting Wagner to as well. "He doesn't like paperwork. We're heading to dinner if you feel like arguing about rent."

Wagner scoffed. "He wasn't planning on charging me? Uh-uh! I'm earning my keep around here."

"All right. By the way, we're going to Craft, so you might want to wash off that blood."

He nodded, but as the beta tried to leave, Wagner called out, "Don't leave yet. I'll escort you guys after I wash this off."

"What?"

Seeing the perplexed colleague, he could not stop himself from laughing as he ran back inside. "Gotta do my job, Kap.”

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 58
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Absolutely loved it!  Seeing Cyrus be the "mean" one and the vampire be the "good" one was awesome!  I was hoping for a little lightning frying but I like the way it was handled better!!  But hell you always do a great job!!  Alex got what he deserved...hard work paid off and got him some respect from Vincent!  Got all up in the "feels" when Alex got promoted... Cyrus and Kaplan (🐼:heart:🐺) accepting him and promoting him to head enforcer was unexpected (at least by me) but considering it's Cyrus, I should have expected it!!!  Anyways, loved this chapter so much!!!!  Now I just wish I could turn into a wolf and run through the forest/woods of the south....  Hey, a guy can dream!!!  Hahahaha...:heart:👑:worship:👑:heart:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Patch1 said:

Absolutely loved it!  Seeing Cyrus be the "mean" one and the vampire be the "good" one was awesome!  I was hoping for a little lightning frying but I like the way it was handled better!!  But hell you always do a great job!!  Alex got what he deserved...hard work paid off and got him some respect from Vincent!  Got all up in the "feels" when Alex got promoted... Cyrus and Kaplan (🐼:heart:🐺) accepting him and promoting him to head enforcer was unexpected (at least by me) but considering it's Cyrus, I should have expected it!!!  Anyways, loved this chapter so much!!!!  Now I just wish I could turn into a wolf and run through the forest/woods of the south....  Hey, a guy can dream!!!  Hahahaha...:heart:👑:worship:👑:heart:

I knew Cyrus' "bad cop" routine would tickle your fancy. And you're not alone; I'd go running in the woods with ya. 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

I'm really pleased for Wagner. Hr is a good guy and has made some great changes. He played his part so well and I'm glad that he is back in good standing with the pack and has this new position of responsibility.

The snake Snyder deserves whatever comes his way. Creating homelessness for financial gain is despicable behaviour. 

Thank you for another wonderful chapter. 

 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 7/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, Story Reader said:

I love it when things come together like this chapter did. I enjoyed that so much!

No idea how I missed this comment! So glad you liked the chapter, SR!

11 hours ago, Doha said:

I'm really pleased for Wagner. Hr is a good guy and has made some great changes. He played his part so well and I'm glad that he is back in good standing with the pack and has this new position of responsibility.

The snake Snyder deserves whatever comes his way. Creating homelessness for financial gain is despicable behaviour. 

Thank you for another wonderful chapter. 

 

Truthfully, I never expected Wagner to have such an impact when I first introduced him in book two. Looking back at his first appearance intimidating Vincent, I'm almost a proud parent to see him grow into a responsible position. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..