Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,279 Words
  • 2,511 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 17. Chapter 17: Destined Detectives

His mind flew at a million miles an hour. Dirk’s senses were overloading He could smell the disinfectant spray on the one-way mirror, see finer details in the drywall, and taste the remnants of his last sip of coffee.

Then he smelt Ingle. The lycan was musky, but there was vanilla and honey hidden underneath. It was intoxicating. Just like—

Mate!

There was that too. My bear! You’re… You’re back?

A growl permeated through his mind, then another erupted from his stomach. Dirk doubled over from the dull pain in his gut. The belly fat was burning, and fast. The lycanthropy. It’s back too! Food. “I need food,” he muttered.

Ingle slouched in indignation. “You’re kidding, right? You smell like my gods be-damned mate, and all you can think about is foo—”

“My bear’s back, asshole. So’s my virus. I need food, and now!”

“Oh. Oh, shit!” The partner rushed to Dirk’s side and lifted. “C’mon, let’s get you out of here.”

Dirk did not argue, but there was a major distraction. Ingle was touching him. Oh, fuck! His hands feel good. Firm… Warm… He had to bite his lip. There wasn’t time to revel in the newfound interest. What’s going to happen? Am… Am I about to shift or what?

No. No shift yet.

R-really? You were quick to pack your bags and leave last time.

Yes, but you were mean. Angry. Can shift later.

I—

Shut up. The retort was unexpected, but Dirk ignored the ensuing argument. He was being carried through the office, and everyone was staring. Get out, then when alone, we shift.

That’s kind of hard to focus on. He gritted his teeth. All I want right now is food and Ingle’s ass!

“Hey, lover boy,” Ingle grunted. “How about you keep it in your pants? Slouch a little bit more and no one’ll notice your boner.”

Dirk growled under his breath. “Speak for yourself. All I can smell is you.”

The duo managed to get to Ingle’s Jeep Grand Cherokee in the employee parking lot, but both turned to see Henry clomping towards them. “What the hell’s going on? Did you two fight or something?”

Ingle shook his head. “With all due respect Chief, not now.”

“Excuse me?”

The bear could not hold back his frustration. He stood tall, towering over the slightly shorter human, not caring if he was at attention in two different ways. “Not… now. We haven’t fought, but something’s going on beyond our control.”

The chief was clearly not happy with the answer. He stared at both men, then glanced down and grimaced. “You two aren’t fucking, right?”

“No,” said Ingle.

“Not yet, said Dirk at the same time. Ingle scowled at him, but the delta did not look back. “My bear woke up, my virus reactivated, and I’m getting my ass kicked from the inside out. I need a day off, unless you want a black bear rampaging through the office.”

Henry’s lip twitched. The human caved and waved them off as he walked back into the station. A shove from Ingle broke Dirk’s concentration. “Dude, what the hell?”

“What?”

“You were growling at Chief!”

Dirk blinked, taking a mental step back. “I was?”

“Yeah! So chill out, get in the truck, and let’s get out of here before we’re standing in the unemployment line.”

The bear smirked, and obeyed. “You’re cute when you get snappy.”

Ingle’s gait faulted momentarily. “Uh-uh! We’re figurin’ this shit out. I’m calling Alpha.” The men hopped in, and Ingle called Mason through the vehicle’s Bluetooth connection. “Mace, we… We, uh… We got a problem.”

“Is it serious?”

“Yes… No. Maybe?”

Seeing the lycan flustered was humorous. Dirk laughed and took over the conversation. “You mind if we meet up? Nothing pack-threatening, but a lot’s happened in a short amount of time.”

Mason agreed, so Ingle took off. They shared brief glances, but Dirk was swimming in deep, dark waters. There’s no doubt about it; he’s our destined. But… How’s that possible?

Not know. Sarah was destined.

Yeah, but we met Ingle first that night. He wasn’t our destined then, so why is he now?

Don’t know, but he is.

Dirk was silent, both inside and out. It felt awkward, but he broke the mental tension. I missed you, bear. I shouldn’t have taken out my frustrations on you.

Yes.

You don’t have to be a smart ass about it.

Yes, I do.

He snorted, prompting another glance from Ingle. Dirk sighed. “So what do we do about this?”

“We’re talking to Mace and Vincent, duh.”

“Obviously, but if this is the real deal, what then?” His partner was gripping the wheel tightly. Dirk bit the inside of his cheek as he struggled to stop himself from touching Ingle’s thigh. “It’s not that bad, right? We’re already pretty tight when it comes to work.”

“You were Sarah’s mate.”

An invisible knife plunged into Dirk’s chest. He swallowed the hard fact. “Y-yes, and look what I did about that.”

Ingle rubbed his shaven head. “That didn’t come out right.”

“No, it didn’t,” Dirk said woodenly. “My instincts responded, and I’d do it again.” He watched Ingle’s jaw drop. “What? She shot you. She was a hunter!”

“She…” The man licked his lips and shook his head. “I worked with her for months.”

“You’re still beating yourself up over that?”

“Fuck yeah, I am! I didn’t know a damn thing. Never been to her place, never read any signs… I just trusted her.”

“Yeah, I did too. Hell, I was practically in love with her the moment I saw her. I knew less than you did.” Seeing the man struggling emotionally, Dirk huffed. “Pull over.”

“I’m good.”

“Don’t care. Pull over. We need to get this shit straightened out.”

Ingle sighed and found a spot on Main Street. “Now what?”

“We both loved her in our own ways. She was your partner, and she was my destined. But she was hiding a really bad side from us. It could’ve been much worse.”

“And what the fuck’s that got to do with what’s going on between us now?”

Dirk pinched the bridge of his nose. “I had a dream last night. More of a nightmare, and it was bad. A while back, Vincent mentioned he had a conversation with Aliz.”

Ingle’s face was blank. “You want to run that by me again?”

“Join the club. He’s been the Seven’s sock puppet for a while now. If you don’t believe me, ask Tierney what Terik did to him in New York.” When the driver made a face, Dirk chuckled. “Terik took over Vincent and pinched Tierney’s ass.”

The lycan’s cheeks puffed, as if he was holding back a laugh. “Man, shut the fuck up.”

“Sorry, I don’t lie. Anyway, my dream. My bear was walking around a forest, then we got sucked up by a wild wind. The tree I was holding onto uprooted, then here comes this bald, black lady with killer-blue eyes. She poked me above my nose, then I woke up sweating my balls off. Vincent described Aliz the night he was possessed.”

Ingle squinted. “Bald, black lady with killer-blue eyes?”

“Yep. She told Vincent to have me be patient. My destiny would open up at some point.”

“And now I’m it, huh? I’m… I ain’t gay, man.”

Dirk grinned. “I ain’t either, but all I can think about is three steaks, some mashed potatoes, and sticking my tongue down your throat. We know what our animals want.”

Squirming in his seat, Ingle put the Jeep in drive. “Damn. I better get cooled off before seeing the alphas.”

“Oh, come on! What is it the community usually says? Be loud and proud?”

Snickers turned into loud laughs as they threw comeback after comeback at each other. Parking in Mason’s driveway, both of the alphas were waiting on the porch. Ingle and Dirk were still tense about the situation, but the banter definitely calmed their nerves.

Mason crossed his arms. “What’s going on?”

Dirk was about to reply, but he smelled it. Food… “Gangway!” He squeezed between the couple and opened the door. Following the scent, he saw a few strips of bacon and an omelet in an open Tupperware left out. Cold or not, he picked up a piece of meat and ate it whole. It was tantalizing. Scrumptious! Just about the best thing I've put in my mou—

“Um, Dirk?”

He turned with egg dangling out of his mouth. Vincent had a confused look on his face while Mason seemed pissed. Ingle stepped between them and bared his neck. “Sorry, Alpha. Dirk… Well, his bear came back when we were at work.”

Mason’s anger dissipated immediately. “Hell yeah! Vinnie, we got any leftovers from last night?”

Leftovers? The word left Dirk salivating. He stared at the smaller man, praying for a miracle. Giddiness coursed through his body as Vincent went to the fridge and procured another container. Dirk waited impatiently while the microwave heated whatever awaited. The buzzer dinged, and before he could attack, Vincent shoved a fork in Dirk’s hand.

It was a large bowl of loaded baked spaghetti.

Yir, god of luck, you have blessed me on this day!

The dish was swiftly demolished. So was the box of Cheez-its handed to him. As he munched on an entire box of chocolate-covered granola bars, Mason and Ingle spoke in the living room. Vincent was on feeding duty. Seeing the line of boxed snacks on the kitchen counter, Dirk tactically chose which would be next while the alpha grabbed a skillet and a package of burger patties. “So, your bear’s back?”

Gnawing on a mouthful, Dirk mumbled and nodded. He swallowed hastily and downed a glass of water. “Yeah, it’s been a day.”

“It’s not even ten in the morning.”

“Tell that to Aliz.”

When Vincent furrowed his brows, Dirk gave him the rundown. Handing off the plate of fresh food, Vincent plopped himself on the counter. “That’s… Wow! I didn’t expect Aliz to give you another mate like this.”

Taking a bite of the burger, Dirk shrugged. “Same. I’m just trying to figure out why him.”

“Ingle? Aliz works in mysterious ways, I guess. I thought he was straight.”

“We both are. Were… Am… Hell, I don’t know!”

Vincent hopped down and sat next to him. “Well, if he’s your destined, then you’ll no doubt work it out. You’re meant to be together.”

Dirk leaned back, resting from his gorging. “The only thing we’re both confused by is—”

“What to do in bed?” Vincent assumed with a smirk.

The ursus rolled his eyes. “Not what I was going to say, but that too. Ingle was pretty adamant about being straight. I can tell when we finally get to the bedroom, we’ll both want to be top dog.”

“That’s what Mace is talking to him about in the living room. Mace was stubborn about it for a while, but his wolf came around. Now we purely listen to what our wolves want.”

“Even as alphas?”

“There’s power in being the bottom, Dirk. You’re taking your mate like no one else can. You’re giving your body. When you’re pleasing your mate, you’re the one in complete control. You’re the one that sets the pace, sends shivers down his spine, and turns every muscle in his body to pudding.”

Dirk soaked in Vincent’s lessons. The more he listened, the more it made sense. He now had a desire he never anticipated possessing.

When Ingle and Mason walked in, Dirk smiled. The vanilla and honey scent wafted straight into his nostrils. His heart fluttered. Ingle stood in his snug OPD polo and tight jeans. He swore the man’s package twitched. Dirk gulped. The lycan was simply mouth-watering. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Ingle replied. “Get your fill?”

“I, uh… Yeah, for now. Think I’ll go to a buffet tonight. Want to come? My treat.”

“Momma told me to never turn down a free meal.”

When Ingle offered a hand, Dirk took it without hesitation. The palm was slightly calloused, but the man’s skin was smoother than anyone else’s. When the fingers clenched between his, Dirk’s bear growled. The grip was firm, as if the man accepted their new relationship. “You okay with this?”

Ingle shrugged. “I got used to dealing with your ass at work, didn’t I?”

They chuckled, thanked the alphas, and left. Dirk could not stop staring at their hands. He never got to this phase with Sarah. Makes sense though. I doubt a hunter would hold hands with her enemy.

Hand nice.

Yeah, it is. They briefly let go to get in the vehicle, but they quickly resumed as Ingle reversed. “We going back to work?”

“Nah! What Chief don’t know won’t hurt him. For all he knows, your bear’s going wild.”

“Speaking of that, I should call Tierney. I don’t know if I’ll be shifting tonight. My neighbors might come knocking if they hear a bear roar.”

Ingle pursed his lips. “Same with my place. Think he’ll mind?”

“Nah,” Dirk mimicked. “I’ve practically lived there since I went feral.”

“Woah, woah! You never said you went feral.

He laughed. “Yeah. Who knew the human part of us can? I’m hesitant though.”

“Why?”

“When I lost my bear, the shift back to my human form felt like a Turning Day. Hurt like a bitch, and it might feel that way again.”

After a brief silence, the hold on his hand tightened. “Sounds shitty, but hey… It’s gotta happen. You got this, big boy.”

Dirk shook his head. “You are not calling me that.”

“Big… boy.”

If he wasn’t driving, I’d smack him upside the head. Thinking of a retort, Dirk grinned. “Okay, Justin.”

The lycan growled at him as if Dirk insulted his mother. “It’s Ingle, period.”

“Jus… Tin. It’s either this, or you drop big boy.”

“Oh, I’ll drop you all right.”

“Promise?”

Ingle snickered. “Fuck, I hate this.”

The two bickered for a few more minutes until Dirk called Tierney. The alpha was elated to hear the news and invited them over later. That left several hours to kill. Prompted by Dirk’s rumbling stomach, they tested the waters by going to JD’s for an impromptu date.

It was familiar. While stuffing their faces full, Dirk and Ingle never let the conversation drop. It became apparent to the ursus that his destined was a neat eater. He’s never had to use a napkin. Not even a speck of salt on his lips. Upon further observation, the man was neat in general. His utensils are spaced like he’s eating at an upscale restaurant… And he ordered a damned burger! When questioned about it, Ingle explained it was how he was raised.

Born in Owensville, Ingle’s parents taught him to carry himself with class and manners. Call everyone by their title, be polite, and treat those the way you wanted to be treated. It came as a shock to Dirk. He doesn’t act like that with me. Never has. “So you act regal to everyone, but threaten to drop me and bust my balls every chance you get?”

“My friends are different. I know y’all can handle the real me.”

Dirk smiled. “I like the real you.”

“Yeah,” he scoffed, “but most of the world don’t. Outside this town, I’m either a pig or a narc.”

Anger bubbled inside the bear. “You’ll never be either of those things to me.”

“I get that, but shifters and humans are two different groups of people. We see each other with a sense of brotherhood. Normal people, they—”

“Fuck ‘em,” Dirk blurted. “I’ve learned to respect humanity, but they still have a lot of shit to figure out.”

“Man, ain’t that the truth. It’s exhausting sometimes. Hell, take this whole drug case. Shifters don’t get involved in this kind of shit.”

“I disagree. Shifters don’t use the drugs, but they sure as hell get involved. Saw plenty of it back home. In ways like that, we’re no different than humans. Still hungry for money and power.”

Ingle nodded his head and hummed. “This is nice.” When Dirk raised an eyebrow, the lycan continued, “I’ve never connected with anybody like this. You’re such a cool dude.”

Dirk shared the same feeling. “Makes being destined not so bad, I guess.”

“Yeah. Just got to get used to the fact we’re going to be fucking soon.”

The bear sobered. “Hey, we can take our time. I can be patient.”

Rolling his eyes, Ingle scoffed. “Boy, you weren’t patient when you took this job. You came in guns-a-blazin’, knocking cases out left and right.”

“Being patient and being productive are two different things. Never doubt a bear’s ability to sit on their ass.”

“That’s funny. But you’re right; we can take our time. It’ll be hard though.”

“Why’s that?” Dirk’s curiosity piqued.

Ingle leaned forward. His eyelids were half-open, and the man’s light-brown irises were mesmerizing. “My wolf really wants to kiss you.”

The lust pheromones were strong. It took every ounce of willpower to hold back his instincts. Dirk growled. Pinning the lycan’s feet between his, the bear shuddered. “Already? Moving kind of fast, aren’t we?”

“Maybe, but I like first base.”

“You do look like the type to play baseball.” Making the same move, Dirk was mere inches away from Ingle’s face. “Think you can hold your animal? I’m not quite ready to go from first to third yet.”

Ingle clicked his tongue and reclined. “Remember. I keep it classy with the ladies.”

“Oh?” Dirk asked playfully. “Sorry, but I’m not a lady, and I’m not one for classiness. I prefer practicality.”

The waitress dropped off the bill, and the ursus set a few twenties on top of the receipt before rising. Offering his hand, Dirk grinned. “Being practical, I’m asking an important question. Your place, or mine?”

Ingle took the gesture and growled, “Mine.”

The two rushed out, and the lycan drove out of the diner lot. Dirk saw the man was going a little over the speed limit, but he did not care. The vehicle stopped in a spot facing a duplex. As Dirk got out, he surveyed the area. Between those vertical hedges is an opening. To the backyards, I'm guessing.

His attention was taken as Ingle led him by the hand. "It's not much, but it's home."

The second Ingle opened the door, Dirk was blasted. The vanilla and honey smell he grew to adore magnified. He trembled, trying to keep his member in check. Smells… Smells so fucking good!

"What'cha think?"

The apartment mirrored the lycan’s eating habits. The walls were typical rental-beige, only to be covered by the stray canvas or frame. The black leather recliner and sofa matched, and appeared to be brand new. It’s like no one has ever sat on them. Peering into the attached kitchen and dining room, he saw a backdoor with the blinds closed. So those hedges did lead back there. Where a table would be sat a Suzanne kitchen island cart with its stools stowed away. Dirk saw there was no room for anything larger.

Prodded by the wolf, Dirk growled. "Smells like you. It’s nice, but…”

“But what?” Ingle said with crossed arms.

“Do you even know what a sofa is for? Look at it. It’s—”

“It’s new as fuck, man. First thing I bought on my detective paycheck.”

“Oh,” Dirk muttered.

“Next check’s going towards a new bed.”

The bear smirked. “So you’re saying we can break it?” Seeing his destined blush and stutter was priceless. “Kidding! I’m just kidding.”

“Uh huh.”

“So… You going to show me the bedroom?”

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 47
  • Haha 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Wow so they are a meeting of souls , finally more mated pairs , I think that they will settle into their roles with With ease mother nature and Aziz have and will see to that

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, mikedup said:

Wow so they are a meeting of souls , finally more mated pairs , I think that they will settle into their roles with With ease mother nature and Aziz have and will see to that

I would be so thrown off if I was Ingle. Your coworker has been cool, then one morning he smells like the perfect sex machine? 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Ok, Ingle will have to transition into accepting and enjoying gay sex and the strong pull of a destined mate. His life is turned upside down as a car carrying male stud and lady lover. Dirk is in the same position but is portrayed as not being totally put off by his new life. He should be doubly upset. He had a previous destined mate who was a female who secretly wanted to kill him. His new mate is him male work partner who he did not think of sexually before.

I am interested in reading how you show over time both guys accepting they are compatible and connected. I hope you add humor more than pain. Their animals have to come around, too. I guess they are going to need more counseling from Mason and Vincent.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

This is chapter is one of the most fun chapters I've read!!!  I love the banter between the new mates.  It's like best friends becoming so much more!  Serious but so much fun!!!!  Talk about a roller coaster ride.... 🎢 I can't wait for the real fireworks to begin! 🎆 And Dirk's second turning day event. 🐻 It's almost like the Gods are gathering all the shifters/mages and making them stronger, readying them for the coming fight.  Hmmmm...All that power in one little town.   And as much as I love Cyrus and Kaplan, Dirk and Ingle are right up there with them.  Not quite but close!  (Still :heart:my 🐼and🐺!!!) This was just one helluva fun chapter!  

It's almost like you knew I needed this right now... I needed something fun this week with the anniversary that is coming up June 1.  Not a day I want to remember but it's staring me in the face.  Thanks for such a fun chapter!  I needed the escape!!!!

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

Ok, Ingle will have to transition into accepting and enjoying gay sex and the strong pull of a destined mate. His life is turned upside down as a car carrying male stud and lady lover. Dirk is in the same position but is portrayed as not being totally put off by his new life. He should be doubly upset. He had a previous destined mate who was a female who secretly wanted to kill him. His new mate is him male work partner who he did not think of sexually before.

I am interested in reading how you show over time both guys accepting they are compatible and connected. I hope you add humor more than pain. Their animals have to come around, too. I guess they are going to need more counseling from Mason and Vincent.

LMAO! Vincent and Mason acting as gay sex advisors. Priceless!

Hmm, is Dirk accepting fate, or is it denial? Hard to tell from his POV...

2 hours ago, Patch1 said:

This is chapter is one of the most fun chapters I've read!!!  I love the banter between the new mates.  It's like best friends becoming so much more!  Serious but so much fun!!!!  Talk about a roller coaster ride.... 🎢 I can't wait for the real fireworks to begin! 🎆 And Dirk's second turning day event. 🐻 It's almost like the Gods are gathering all the shifters/mages and making them stronger, readying them for the coming fight.  Hmmmm...All that power in one little town.   And as much as I love Cyrus and Kaplan, Dirk and Ingle are right up there with them.  Not quite but close!  (Still :heart:my 🐼and🐺!!!) This was just one helluva fun chapter!  

It's almost like you knew I needed this right now... I needed something fun this week with the anniversary that is coming up June 1.  Not a day I want to remember but it's staring me in the face.  Thanks for such a fun chapter!  I needed the escape!!!!

 

Lots of power indeed. The only question is whether Stefan will strike again. Is this a hint from the author? I wouldn't read too much into it :gikkle:

Glad I could take you away for a moment, Patch. Everyone needs a good escape once in a while. 

*gasp* Dirk/Ingle competes against Cy/Kap for you?! I refuse to believe it. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, astone2292 said:

 The only question is whether Stefan will strike again. Is this a hint from the author? I wouldn't read too much into it :gikkle:

More like when than if. Story can't end until Vincent confronts Stefan.  My question is how many times will Stefan upset the apple cart between now and then.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Kitt said:

More like when than if. Story can't end until Vincent confronts Stefan.  My question is how many times will Stefan upset the apple cart between now and then.

I'm sorry. Did you say cabbage cart?

Avatar The Last Airbender GIF

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, astone2292 said:

I'm sorry. Did you say cabbage cart?

Avatar The Last Airbender GIF

Add salt and red peppers….Kimchi!

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 5/28/2022 at 7:28 PM, Quixo said:

I laughed and giggled my way through the whole chapter!  I love Dirk's smart ass bear!  As much as these guys are trying to take things slow, I wager they'll be breaking the bed sooner than either of them expect.  Seem to be a lot of gay shifters.  (That isn't a complaint.)  Great chapter!

I did too giggle through the entire chapter! I could not stop laughing when his bear said Yes I do! lol 

  • Love 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 5/28/2022 at 5:36 PM, astone2292 said:

Now that I think about it, my gay characters are pretty spread out. Ingle/Dirk make the second gay couple detailed in Owensville, Bartlett/Ashford are in the metropolitan next door, and Cy/Kap are back in New York. Unless I'm missing someone.

Now don't go getting defensive on me.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..