Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,365 Words
  • 2,908 Views
  • 64 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 36. Chapter 36: Mischievous Mind

Vincent opened his eyes. Seeing the intense surprise and relief all over Mason’s face was moving. Mace… He wanted nothing more than to run and hug him.

Sorry, squirt, Terik said in his mind. You’re taking a backseat for a minute.

His vision moved as his body turned to Stefan. He had no control over his actions. Just like when I first turned into a hybrid. Only this time, Terik’s in charge. How’s this possible? Isn’t it illegal or something for you to interfere with earthly matters?

It’s all part of my plan. Terik called out, “I’ve been wanting to kick your Italian ass for a hot minute!”

Stefan sneered. “You’re not Vincent. What is this? I stabbed you in the heart.”

“You did. Quite frankly, you killed him pretty efficiently. Not my style, but hey, I appreciate it.”

The mage hurled a fireball at Terik. She wiggled a finger, and the flames hovered around Vincent’s body. “Not original either. No class, no creativity, and certainly not enough to kill me.”

“I don’t know who you are, but I’m not one to be mocked.”

A black spike protruded from the ground, aiming to penetrate Vincent. Terik held a hand out, halting Stefan’s magic. The sharp tendril hovered in mid-air. Two more came afterward, which were stopped just the same. “So eager to kill. I thought you'd be more fun, you greaser.”

Stefan retracted his magic and huffed. “You’re more interesting than Little Vinnie. Tell me, who are you?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?”

“Cheeky, powerful… This must be the divine affinity. But for Vincent to give reign to another entity. You’re one of the Seven,” he assumed. “Now to narrow it down.”

Terik snapped a finger. Nothing happened for a few seconds, but Vincent watched as Stefan zipped away moments before an anvil crash-landed into the earth. Dust and soil spouted from the impact. Holy, Vincent thought. Was that necessary? A fuckin’ anvil? If you can do that, why not just end it?

Because the rules still apply, Terik explained. I can’t directly hurt him. As long as I don’t touch him, anything’s fair game. It’s one of the requisites I accepted to have a shot at fixing this shit.

So can I take over and use my magic?

No. Your soul’s physically bound to the destiny at the moment. Same with Stefan’s. Until one of you passes on, you’re still considered dead in Resa’s book.

Hearing the new guidelines for their fight, Vincent worried. Anything else should I know about?

Nothing that can’t be explained later. Need to focus. As of now, I’m inside your body, which is rather squishy and pretty fuckin’ mortal.

Leaving Terik to her devices, Vincent returned his attention to Stefan. Reappearing next to the anvil, the man had a smile on his face. “Terik. It doesn’t surprise me. I had it narrowed down to either you or Rin. Consider me flattered.”

“I might hurl,” she retorted.

“Now, why’s that? How or whenever I expose the supernatural, wouldn’t you be loaded with plenty to do and people to trick?”

“Yeah, for a few Earth months. After that, I lose too many playthings. War's hell, you know.”

“Ah, so this is a selfish adventure for you. Do you lose your favorite toys?”

Terik rolled Vincent’s eyes. “You’re just like the squirt. Too much talk.” She snapped her fingers again. Dark clouds roamed closer and rain fell. The roar of incoming thunder clapped louder and louder as a storm neared at an alarming pace.

If Dinbe thought his fight with Stefan was a dance, Vincent compared Terik’s to a Cirque de Soleil performance. The deity elegantly dodged or sent Stefan’s attacks away, all the while snapping. Each time, a bolt of lightning struck near the Italian’s feet, scorching the grass and soil. Fireballs and shadows were met with electricity and random heavy objects. Dishwashers, wrecking balls, and a dining table. You’re very creative, Vincent complimented. I think you got him with that tiny sinkhole in the ground.

Yeah, looked like I sprained his ankle. Still, he’s a quick fucker.

Focusing on Terik’s actions and intentions, Vincent was floored. She made moves that seemed insignificant. A pebble moved here, a shift of wind there.

Terik snorted. Whatever I can do to get him off his feet.

So, you exploited some rules to bring us here. Wh—

Kid, she interrupted, this was the most convoluted plan I could ever come up with. The amount of loopholes and sacrifices needed to do this shit was insane. Just be quiet and grateful.

With a snap, a bolt came close to striking Stefan. Vincent felt the goddess concentrating. Right, and you be careful. I don't want to die a second time.

There's the snappy wit! Don't worry. We're about done. She turned Vincent's head and hollered at Mason. "Hey, furball! I'm going to need a hand."

As she walked closer, flames and shadows continued assaulting her, but they were merely deflected. Reaching Mason, she sided next to him. "Long time, no see!"

"Where's Vinnie?" He demanded. The concern and rage in his voice was palpable.

"He's here but can't come out and play. Long story short, I need you to kill the greaser."

What? Vincent shouted.

Terik twinged, put a finger in Vincent's ear, and wiggled it. "Sorry. Squirt didn't like the idea. Anyway, the stupid interference law is still a thing. I can distract all day, but I can't be at fault for ending his life. Got it? Do this, and Vin-Vin gets to come home."

The alpha gasped and immediately was focused. "I'll follow your lead."

"Naturally. You'll know my signal. All you need to do is stay right next to me. Do not waver."

***

Mason's heart pounded like a hammer. His husband was taken from him in a second, then returned in the next with a goddess behind the wheel. Of all the Seven, it had to be Terik.

He had to admit, seeing the anvil and lightning fall from the sky gave him hope. She's capable of insane things. But she can't directly hurt him, so I have to. Reverting to his wolven form, Mason figured speed would be necessary to keep up with Terik. I have to stay nearby, then go at Stefan when she says so.

A fireball headed his way. Before he darted out of the way, it vanished as Terik raised a hand. “Don’t worry about his attacks. I’ll block ‘em. We just need to get closer. Ready?”

Mason huffed, prepared to strike.

True to her promise, Terik blocked every bit of Stefan’s magic. Strands of shadows were severed, and flames extinguished immediately. What confused Mason was the man’s magical stores. He just keeps going! When’s it going to stop?

Terik was fairly stationary. She moved when needed, but kept focusing on defending. Patience was not a strong attribute for Mason. When? She’s not doing anything.

Calm, warned his wolf.

But the sooner we end this, to quicker Vinnie’s back!

Yes, want mate too. Need calm. Trust her.

Mason growled. He was itching to pounce.

"Yeah, yeah. Get your tail out of your ass. Wouldn't do much anyway; too much fluff."

He ignored the lewd suggestion. It would wag if I could do something.

Laughing, Terik redirected some of Stefan's magic. "Let's make it happen, Fido." She snapped several times, sending lightning directly behind the fire mage. "I'm luring him in closer," she whispered.

Got it. He followed Terik as she circled the field. They were moving quicker and quicker with each step. Time to move on the offense. Stefan appeared tired. Angry and tired. All of his wounds were either cauterized or compressed with shadows. There's no way he could have that much energy!

He does, Terik said, but he's got a couple of handicaps.

What?

He's got a few of those damn bracelet things on him.

The news alarmed Mason. A few? Vincent has one… He had multiple?

Yep. One's still full, but he's about to start using it.

You're forcing him to use every bit, aren't you?

Not necessary. Just waiting for the right… Vincent's eyes widened, and the white irises glowed. Now!

Mason and Terik sprinted toward Stefan. The lycan's heart raced. He spotted something falling from the sky. A fridge!

Time seemed to slow around him. Stefan moved to the side but started to fall. He tripped! The ground gave beneath him. The alpha had a one-track mind as he came within striking distance.

Mason leaped. Opening his maw, he aimed at the man's neck. The moment felt right. The pink flesh was ripe for the taking.

Until darkness covered it completely.

"No!" Terik shouted from behind.

The shadows moved upward, gagging Stefan's scream as Mason clamped down. As blood filled the wolf's mouth, Mason shook his head violently. He wasn't pleased. Biting harder, he felt the sinews rip between his teeth. When he heard the crack underneath him, Mason knew he had snapped the man's neck.

Clenching, he waited. Every time Mason thought he felt a heartbeat, he doubled down and shook. Die already!

A hand patted his back. “Easy,” Terik advised. “He’s gone.”

Searching for a sign of life, Mason released the neck and prowled around the body. Stefan’s eyes were glazed over, blood poured from the untreated wounds, and every limb was lax. Mason snarled. The desire to shred the corpse to pieces nearly overwhelmed him. After taking a breath, his pride showed. He killed him. He killed the bastard!

Yet he refused to howl in victory. The memory of Vincent being killed burned in his mind. He died right before my eyes.

Mate alive. Terik say so.

Yeah… Yeah! He shifted back and glared at Terik. “He’s dead. Now, give me my mate back!”

She merely stared. “Give me a minute. I need to explain a few things to Vincent first.”

***

Vincent couldn’t breathe. He just watched his mate kill the man who murdered his parents. He’s… He’s dead.

If he could, he would cry. A weight was lifted from his shoulders. No one’s gonna die. There’s not going to be a war. It's been prevented. Th-thank you, Terik.

Don't thank me just yet, she stated. There's still a couple of things left to do.

Still in the backseat, he saw his body approaching Stefan's. The gruesome wound was hard to look at. She knelt and hovered a hand over it. Tissue and skin stretched and stitched themselves together. Confused, Vincent asked, What are you doing?

Everything went white again, and he was separated from her in the celestial plane. Terik stood to his right as the other six deities surrounded them.

"What have you done?" Aliz demanded. Her tone was stern but laced with uncertainty.

Terik grinned. "Did something, mostly because I could. I am the goddess of mischief after all."

"But you killed him!"

"No. The shapeshifter did. I just had a few cargo planes lose a few things and caused a large thunderstorm."

Bol folded his arms. He appeared to be the most disturbed. "Sister, this went too far."

Terik bobbed her head. "Yep, as expected. It was better than y'all sitting with your twiddling thumbs." She sighed and turned to Vincent. "Unfortunately, I had to offer something from the both of us."

Something? "Do… Do I get to go home?" His heart rate sped up. "Do I get to—"

"Yes."

While he was relieved and happy, the mage heard her word choice. "Yes? Not a 'yeah' or 'of course, squirt?' You… What are you giving up?"

"I—"

"What've you done?" Vincent asked, louder and more drastically.

She smirked, then chuckled. "Wow! You're more upset than they are. I'm impressed." Taking a step towards her siblings, Terik grabbed the cloth floating around her chest and waist, offering them to Bol. "I won't be needing this anymore."

The whole place was silent. Vincent did not believe what he was experiencing. Wh... What?

"No," commanded Bol. His voice boomed through the emptiness. "You are the goddess of mischief. You were created for a reason millennia ago."

"And I found my reason. None of you found a solution to a catastrophic event in humanity's realm."

Ceresa's laugh was muffled. "And so you caused mischief. This is impressive, even for you, Rikki. This might be your best one yet."

Another laugh was heard. Rin clapped slowly. "Agreed. I admire this ribbing you gave us. Rather snobbish of you to prevent my grace from happening, but I see the egg on our faces."

"You condone this behavior?" Bol asked.

"Of course they do," mumbled Aliz. Holding a gray orb, everyone turned. "I approve of it as well. The destiny is clear now. It's… it's becoming dormant."

Vincent saw the destiny darken. Black. That means nothing else will come of it.

Aliz smiled. "Time for you to go, Terik. You too, Vincent."

"Go?"

Something clapped his shoulder, and Montana flashed back into existence. He looked over and saw Mason, frozen in place. Spinning, he found Terik kneeling next to Stefan's body. "What's—"

"It's not ideal, but it'll do," she muttered. Ripping the clothes up, she continued to heal the remaining injuries. When done, her skin sparkled.

The light became too bright for Vincent. Shielding his eyes, he tried to make sense of what was going on. Just as he made an initial thought, the light faded, and Terik was gone.

Stefan gasped suddenly, then rose from the ground.

"Vinnie!"

Before he could react, a silhouette blocked his vision. "Mace," he whispered. Time's working again.

"Wait a second, Fido!"

Hearing Stefan's voice shook Vincent to his core. W-wait… "Fido." Coming around his mate, the Italian had his hands up.

They shared a glance, and Stefan winked. "Hey, squirt."

The accent! It's gone. Patting Mason, Vincent uttered, "Stand down. That's… That's Terik in there."

The bigger man was vibrating. The bond they shared oozed anger, uncertainty, and a need to protect. Vincent grabbed Mason's hand. "Hey. Calm down."

"What he said," Stefan said with a sassy tone. There was no longer an Italian accent in the voice. "I just needed a body."

"And you picked that one?" Mason's tone was low and menacing.

"Hey, it's either this or I wither out of existence."

"Wait," Vincent interjected, "you're mortal now?"

Stefan shrugged. "That was my price. I'm not exactly mortal though. As long as I'm in this meat suit, it won't age. It can get hurt, and I now have to keep it running with food and water, but hey… I'll take it."

Mason backed up and held Vincent from behind. "You gave up your power to bring back my Vinnie? Why?”

“Call me sentimental. That, and I kind of like the people you guys hang out with. Humanity’s always been one of my favorites, so what could be more fun than becoming one?”

Seeing Terik in Stefan’s body was upsetting. “So… What’s your plan? Just wander the world? Are you even still the goddess of mischief?”

“Well,” Stefan looked down, looked down, and chuckled, “guess it’s now god of mischief. Let me try something…”

He snapped, and a bolt of lightning shot down from the sky behind him. “Cool, still got those powers. Hang on a minute.” Raising his hand, fire ignited in the palm. “Guess I have Steffy’s too.”

“You can control them?”

“Duh! Where do you think magic came from?”

Vincent gasped. That makes so much sense! It figures she would give us power like this.

Stefan winked. Still can read minds, kiddo.

Mason grumbled. “So are you still Terik, or are you going to be Stefan Gregoro?”

The god hummed. “Not sure. I’m not a fan of this turd. Might make him a whole new person. I guess I should do the same since you humans might go nuts if I start calling myself Terik in public.”

“How about Erik? With a k,” suggested Mason. “Sounds close enough.”

“I like that! Erik…” Looking to the sky, the newly named man inhaled. “Erik, god of mischief. Erik, unassuming human.”

Remembering something, Vincent grasped Mason’s hand again. “When we were with the other gods just now, you said we both gave something up. What happened to me?”

Erik’s happy demeanor diminished. “I should’ve asked you about it before pulling the trigger, but I was on a troublemaking roll when crafting the plans. The price of bringing a soul back to its body's a hefty one. I took the brunt of it, but if I sacrificed any more, I'd cease to exist, and I’m not that selfless. I’m… I’m sorry.

“You don’t have magic, Vincent.”

He swallowed, drying his throat. Instinctively, he flicked a wrist. The dagger he envisioned did not appear. Channeling his emotions, his shadow did not grow darker. In a feeble attempt, he snapped his fingers. No sight ward. The realization piled slowly. No more traveling at the speed of light. I won’t be able to use ice to defend myself. Shutting his eyes, he fought his tears.

Mason held him tightly. “You’re here, Pup,” he whispered.

Taking a breath, Vincent agreed and wiped his face. “If… If that’s what I had to give up, then that’s fine by me.”

Erik nodded. “There wasn’t much else to offer on your side. It felt wrong to take a limb or something. I was about to give up on the offering, but my worktable saw the good you could've done with your magic. Unfortunately, I couldn't save any of your three affinities.”

There was an awkward silence between the three men. Leaving Mason’s hold, Vincent closed the distance between him and Erik. “Will I ever see you again?”

The god withdrew a phone from a pocket. “Give me a call. I’ll expect invites to Thanksgiving dinner.”

Despite snickering, he hesitated before nodding. “It’s going to be weird and awkward as fuck but you got it.”

“Trust me, squirt. I'm a shithead, but I at least have decency. You won’t recognize me once I give this greaser a makeover.”

“I’ll also have to tell my mother-by-bond about this. If I don’t, it'll be on-sight with her.”

Erik squinted. “That better be the first thing you do. Anyway, I’m guessing you two need a lift home?”

“I’m good—” Vincent stopped himself and cringed. “Right. Um… Yeah, if you don’t mind.”

With a hand on each of their shoulders, Erik transported the alphas from the Great Plains to their home in Owensville. When their world returned to color, Vincent choked up again. I… I don’t know when I’ll see that again.

Hey,” Mason murmured. “It’ll be okay.”

On the verge of bawling, Vincent leaned onto him for a moment before turning to Erik. “W-would you like to come in? You… I mean, you might be hungry.”

Erik rolled his eyes. “I’m good. I’ll go nab a burger from somewhere.”

Knowing the god now had the shadow affinity, he sniffled. “There’s a place in Tampa called Datz. They have one called the Cheesy Todd. The buns are giant, fried macaroni and cheese patties.”

The man licked his lips. “Shut the fuck up.”

Mason chuckled and nuzzled Vincent’s ear. “One of my favorites.”

“Well, I know where I’m going first. I’ll have to scrounge up some money first."

"Oh, yeah," Vincent said. "Didn't think about that. If you need a job, I'm sure—"

"I'm good," Erik interrupted. "Already know the drill with cash. Ever heard someone complain about thinking they had an extra five or twenty in their wallet?"

Both shifters gawked. "That's you who does that?" Mason growled. "I swear to…"

Laughing, Erik waved and took a step back. "I'll take that as my cue."

"Wait," Vincent demanded, "I have one more question."

"Shoot."

"Am I still connected to you, Bol, and Aliz?"

"Nope," the god replied. "That went with your magic."

I see. I'm truly done with it all. No more Stefan, the Seven… Just everyday normal stuff?

"Relax a bit, squirt," Erik instructed before vanishing in a black cloud. It's not like we just saved a continent or anything. Enjoy the rest of your life, okay?

Vincent smiled. Being guided into the house, tears fell freely. I will, he promised.

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 34
  • Wow 6
  • Sad 10
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..