Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,681 Words
  • 4,393 Views
  • 45 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 6. Chapter 6: Intractable Instincts

Chapter content warning: ... Nah! That ruins the fun.

There was a bitter taste in his mouth. Wagner rode the elevator down from the sixth floor of an apartment building. Is this really what I’ve become? It’s just fucking ugly!

Must do. For pack.

That’s the only thing keeping me sane! Fuck, I just told a family of three to get the hell out of their home.

Bad, but need to. Snyder bad and Alpha need know.

I know. Dig deep and claw through it.

Back on the sidewalk, he headed for his bike. This has to go somewhere, right? Snyder evicting people, him saying Rochter’ll turn a blind eye…

Work together.

Nah, Rochter’s not the planning type. I’d say Snyder has him in his pocket. That makes more sense. The only question is how long I’ll have to do this shit! He remembered the young boy who answered the door. Couldn’t have been older than seven. I… I can’t do that again.

Must! Get hold of self!

And since when did you become my voice of reason?

When Alpha give us mission. We do bad to do good. We do to get Snyder.

Huffing, he shook his head, straddled his bike, and started the engine, but before he took off, his phone rang. “Hello?”

“I hear you’re working with me now.”

Rochter. Turning off the motorcycle, he sighed. “Didn’t know we were on equal terms.”

“We’re not; I’m still enforcer.”

Wagner growled, “Fuck you.”

“Hey, you’re the one who picks on small fries.”

“Yeah, and I’ve learned my lesson. Got to see that kid kick Dirk’s ass.”

“W-what?”

Leaning back, Wagner grinned. “Before Vonder stepped in, Scott had me come watch. Alpha Vincent Bolton… he’s the scariest motherfucker I’ve ever seen. Went two rounds with Wescott, and won one of them. He was supposed to spar with Scott too, but I don't think it happened.”

“No shit…” whispered Rochter. “Thought the ceremony was enough, but they had you watch our Head Enforcer get his ass beat? Shit, Vonder’s vindictive. Almost has a ring to it.”

“Can we not talk about that asswipe? Why are you calling?”

“Teamwork makes the dreamwork. You’re evicting my members, so it’s best we talk to each other. Give me a heads-up next time so I can sweep things under the rug.”

“Things?”

Rochter scoffed. “The paper trail can’t stop with eviction; it draws too much attention.”

Wagner’s heart raced. He’s a clean-up guy! For Snyder? For his own ass? “Evicting people draws attention.”

“People get evicted every day. Learn something, will ya? We’ve been at this for a while, so fall in line.”

Right… fall in line. “Got it, boss. Gotta ride.” He hung up his phone and rolled his eyes.

Demeaned. Belittled. Wagner knew the reminder of his fall from grace should be discarded, but couldn’t ignore the sting.

His wolf growled within his mind. He is equal. We are enforcer!

Not to him, and not to Snyder. We need to play this cool. Can’t go off half-cocked. Keep our head down and nose clean.

Starting the engine, Wagner donned his helmet. I think it’s time I leave a drop-off.

***

Manigua… Nothing.

Rolling his eyes, the shadow mage darted east. The Nicaraguan agent had nothing yet again. Can’t help it; that one’s gonna take a tick. Checking the compass on his watch, he adjusted his directional trajectory.

Arriving in the safehouse in Seoul, he found that the oven-light was on, the correct magazines were on the table, and a cookie was left outside its jar. Ah, there’s a secret. Evaluating the apartment’s darknesses, he emerged and silently took the jar’s lid. Inside was a crumpled paper. Unfurling it, he was disappointed in the foreign language. Oh posh. I’ll have to hear from Marlo if it was the mafia boss all along! Oh well, I’ll learn next week or so.

Might as well check on the dog in New York… Not like he’s found anything yet. Poor sod got tossed into the covert world with little training. He’ll probably end up outing himself and getting killed. And here I thought Vonder was a clever chap. All them years as an auditor, and he forces some bruiser to go undercover? Nah, he's lost touch. He replaced the lid, took the offered sweet, and left.

Zipping through the elevator shaft and under the delta’s door, he smirked. Oh? Oven light, barbell on the table, and shoes in front of the recliner. Now… that’s a surprise. Puppy found something? Let’s just see about that. He went to the bathroom and found the notepad under the sink. Returning to the kitchen, he read. Oh…

Oh, now that’s tasty news. Pup might be onto something. The mage ripped the page and stuffed it in his pocket. Ol’ Thunder’s gonna have fun with this one! Maybe the bear was right about this’n.

***

Sitting on the couch, Kaplan could barely keep his eyes open. The laptop’s browser had several tabs open as he searched for a new place to live. Thought it’d be nice to show him some options. I can tell his bear’s frustrated when we work in the living room. We need a bigger space for an office.

He looked at the door, sniffed, then listened. Nothing. He’ll come through that door any minute, I feel it.

Warmth flooded the bond within his chest. He heard the elevator ding. Cy! He set the laptop on the coffee table and rushed to his feet.

The electronic lock was disarmed, the door opened, and Cyrus walked in. “There’s my pup.” As Kaplan sped to embrace him, the bear giggled. “And there’s my answer. I was going to ask if you missed me.”

“Of course I did. The house was pretty quiet without you. Hell, the whole city was!”

“Wow,” Cyrus murmured, “to think I make so much noise in the city that never sleeps.”

“I-I didn’t mean—”

A finger landed on the lycan’s lips, hushing him. “I know what you meant, and I’m flattered. Seems like you’ve been busy.”

Following the alpha’s pointed digit, Kaplan nodded. “I found a few potential homes that’ll give you an office to work from.”

Offices, my pup. Remember, you’ll need one too. You didn’t have to start looking until I got back.”

“I wanted to. Besides, nothing major happened while you were gone. A few of the new enforcers and betas had questions, but they were simple. I booked a meeting with the mayor and commissioner a week away from the North American Summit. And Moore has some concerns with Lee-Sung’s district.”

“Oh? What are they?”

Opening his email inbox, he pulled the message. “I don’t think it’s much, but the district homelessness numbers are rising.”

Cyrus pressed against Kaplan’s back, peering over the beta’s shoulder. Kaplan felt the warm, gentle breath graze his neck, making him shudder. “That’s odd. I’ll have—”

The panda suddenly squealed and leaped backwards, startling Kaplan. “Cy? What’s wrong?”

With pursed lips, the bear patted his rear. “Well, good to see you too, Teddy.”

“Likewise, Thunder.”

Kaplan spun and growled. A slim human with short, blond hair lurked in the kitchen corner. Who… how did he get in?

“Pup, please.” Cyrus rubbed the wolf’s shoulders. “This is Teddy Burke; one of the EC’s finest runners. Teddy, allow me to introduce my mate?”

“Sure, but already got the news. Cheers, by the way. Didn’t mean to skip your party at the stadium. Duty was heavy that night.”

“Understood. This is Kaplan Alvey.”

Teddy stood for a moment, then smiled and offered a hand. “Takin’ care of the panda, I reckon?”

Kaplan nodded. British guy. He’s probably the one that snuck into Tierney’s apartment. “Of course, but it’s more of the other way around.”

“Makes sense. Thunder’s always been a chuffed bloke that worries about others before his damned self.”

A deep and slow giggle sounded throughout the condo. “Oh come now! I’m not that easily read, am I?”

“Sorry, but it’s true. Anyway, came to complete a drop off. Your delta left a juicy note.” Teddy pulled a notepad from the inside of his jacket. “You’re ‘bout to have a mess, ol’ chap.”

“A mess?” Cyrus took the paper, but before he could say another word, Teddy vanished in a wispy, black fog. Waving his arm to dissipate the smog, he huffed. “Such a gossip! He needs to stop assuming when reading these drops.”

The beta coughed. “Can’t he go outside and do that?”

“Knowing his job, I’d say no. He makes several trips around the globe every hour, my pup. Teddy’s a busy man.”

“Gotcha. Can I ask a question?”

“Always.”

“Thunder?”

Cyrus’ chest heaved as he laughed. “We carried out an arrest years ago. The suspects wouldn’t shut up, so I clapped. He’s called me that name ever since.”

“Wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything like Alpha McCabe’s iteration.”

“I don’t mind Remis’ nickname for me. He means no harm in it.”

His wolf whimpered in his mind, so Kaplan closed the distance between him and his mate. “So Teddy has info? From Alex?”

“Let’s see, shall we?”

Wrapped under Cyrus’ arm, Kaplan watched as the bear unfolded the paper. Yeah, that’s Alex’s chicken-scratch all right…

Evicting tenants. Rochter cleans up. He said they’ve been at it for a while. I’ll keep digging. Don’t approach them yet.

“Oh my,” Cyrus muttered.

Kaplan read and reread the message. “Snyder’s evicting tenants? I didn’t know he owned property.”

“He has several complexes, but I’ll need to look further into his history.”

“And Jerome’s in on it?”

The bear’s body vibrated as he growled. “Apparently so.”

He looked up to see Cyrus’ emerald irises glowing. Wanting to soothe the angered man, Kaplan rubbed the alpha’s stomach. “We’ll do our research on this, but we need to be discreet.”

“Agreed. Alex needs more time, and there’s plenty we can do from the sidelines. What are the laws on proper eviction?”

Kaplan sighed. “There’s no short answer, but I think it’s much deeper than that. If there’s been mass evictions from Rochter’s district over the last couple of years, Dirk and I would’ve gotten wind of it.”

“So a grander scheme?”

“It’s possible. We’ll need an ownership history on Snyder to see what’s actually happening.”

Cyrus released him and took a spot on the loveseat. “This doesn’t make sense. What would Harold do with evicted tenants? How do they benefit him?”

Stepping away, Kaplan stood silently. Possibilities. Pushing out unpaid renters. No, that doesn’t help him directly unless he’s being sheisty with renter lease histories. MCI and IAI abuse… that seems more likely, but that takes years of time and patience. Is he the type to wait that—

“Kaplan?”

He snapped out of his daze, and was met by Cyrus standing in front of him.

“Looks like you were lost in thought. Care to share?”

“Just thinking of the possibilities, but I’d have to know how Snyder works.”

“Harold’s a man of swift and concrete deals. Why?”

Kaplan reclined against the counter. “Then my big idea went out the window. It sounded like he’s abusing either Major Capital Improvements or Individual Apartment Improvements, but that can take decades to see substantial profit.”

His chin was lifted. The soft and gentle touch sent a chill down the lycan’s spine. “Did I ever tell you how hot your words are?”

“Cy-Cyrus.”

“We’ll talk business later. For now, we have some making up to do from the last few days.”

Kaplan didn’t have time to argue or agree as he was swept off his feet. He clung to Cyrus’ neck as he was carried to the bedroom.

***

Dirk grumbled. He set the pen down and stared at his pad. Scratches covered nearly every scenario he wrote. Checking the observation notes from the interviews, several names were crossed off, both from the agents’ findings and his own. They’re about to finish up P’s.

After a few minutes of typing and researching, he caught a familiar scent. Sarah. He rotated his chair and saw her leaving the hallway leading to the interrogation room. Smiling, he waved.

She waved back.

He couldn’t take his eyes off her, even as she walked away. Lowering his gaze, he growled at the swaying hips. Gods be damned… With every step, Sarah’s movements hypnotized him until she entered the breakroom. He rolled his eyes, grinned, and returned to the desk. She’s so perfect in every way!

Yes, she mate. Perfect mate!

Just need to wait a little longer, then we can dare to kiss her.

I say wait. One more date.

Yeah, that might be best.

The sound of wheels skidding broke his concentration. Ingle plopped in the chair across from him. “What’cha got today, D? Looks like you were thinking deep again.”

Dirk sighed. “Just thinking about what I’ll be having in a few days.”

“Uh oh. ‘Bout to bust a move on Sarah?”

“Might make a couple of them… consecutively.

Ingle pinched the bridge of his nose and chuckled. “Didn’t need that in my head, thank you very much.”

“Can’t help it. She’s been taunting me, I just know it! Did you see her walk by, shaking that thing of hers?”

“No, because I’m not an animal.”

Dirk crossed his arms. “Oh?”

“I’m a classy man, wheeling in classy ladies.”

“Pretty sure classy guys don’t use the word wheeling.”

The lycan huffed and reclined. “Least I don’t have my tongue halfway out my mouth. Jokes aside, you two doing all right?”

“Yeah, just taking it slow. Went on a date the other night, but I could tell she wasn’t ready for a kiss or anything. She’s also been quiet about her time before coming here.”

“What’cha need to know?”

“Anything, man.”

“Well,” Ingle leaned forward, “that’ll cost you lunch.”

“Damn, didn’t think I’d get heckled for lunch money by a cop.” Dirk smelled Sarah again and turned. She was no longer wearing her uniform and had her purse over her shoulder. He growled in his mind.

She looked over and nearly crashed into another passing officer. Apologizing, she caught his stare once more as her cheeks flushed red. Sarah raised her hand to her ear and mouthed, “Call me.”

Once losing sight of her, Dirk spun to see Ingle’s smirk. “Get your head out of the gutter and let’s go.”

They hopped in his truck and headed to Nini’s. “All right, I’m buying lunch. Tell me about her.”

Ingle shrugged. “Don’t know much. Came from Alabama, but moved here to be closer to her dad. She’s pretty tight-lipped.”

“You’re gonna have to give me more than that if I’m paying.”

“I don’t know, but she can scarf down pasta like a shifter.”

“Found that out when I took her to Biacci’s.”

Ingle slapped his knee and laughed. “Damn, player! Biacci’s? First date or second?”

“First! I know I’ve been out of the dating game, but I haven’t forgotten everything. The only thing she told me was that something happened when she was younger.”

“Like what?”

“Not sure, but it came up when she asked if I was going to turn her.”

Ingle hummed. “Makes sense. She was nervous about being my partner at first, but she warmed up after a week. Gives you something to work on, lover-boy.”

Parking in front of the deli, Dirk shook his head. “I’m not pulling on that one. If she wants to tell me, then I’ll let her do it on her own.”

“Smart man. You think Morr’s gonna yell at us?”

“Do we shit in the woods?”

They entered, got roasted by the tigress, and waited for their food. Shaking his head, Ingle snickered. “Maybe we come back after closing and piss on the fire hydrant out front.”

Before Dirk could laugh, Morrine yelled from the kitchen, “Sorry officer, did you want that sandwich burnt to a crisp?”

“I, uh… No, ma’am!” Clearly embarrassed, Ingle scratched the back of his head and whispered, “Don’t know how that Tierney guy handles that.”

“He sees her as his greatest challenge. If I didn’t know better, I’d say they should’ve been destined.”

“What’s the luck behind all this? Two destined couples in Owensville within a year. I should get a lotto ticket or something.”

Dirk smiled. He’s right; it’s strange. “Maybe you should.”

Their names were called, and when Ingle came back with their food, he grinned. “Curiosity’s sake, if your destined would’ve been a dude, how’d you respond?”

Opening the sandwich wrapper, he shrugged. “Not sure. I can’t describe it. I just know she’s perfect for me. Never been attracted to red-heads before, but I’d snort her dandruff if she asked.”

After chuckling, Ingle started on his food. “Still didn’t answer my question.”

“Why, jealous?”

The lycan coughed and swallowed. “Wh-what?”

“Aw, someone wanted Dirk before he found Sarah?”

“Man, cut that! Dicks ain’t my thing. Just asking a question.”

Giving some slack, Dirk took a bite and thought. “Guess I’d feel the same as I do now. Man’s got different bits and pieces, but if happiness and bliss are at the end of the road, then I’d run to him.”

Ingle bobbed his head in assumed agreement. “Sounds legit. Was about to say no way, but after that philosophical wisdom, I’d give it a shot. If the person’s perfect, then everything else’s got to be. I’ve heard Vincent and Mace in the woods after the meetings.”

His straw left his lips and nearly snorted soda. “Too much info. Can we get back to talking about girls please?”

“Ladies, or Sarah?”

Raising an eyebrow, Dirk reclined in the booth. “I remember from Mace’s grill-out that her dad isn’t doing well?”

“Alzheimer’s.”

“Damn.” The bear grimaced. Such a shit disease. “Do you know if it’s early on, or has it set it?”

“Listen, she does her best to keep it quiet, so you didn’t hear this from me, got it? From what she’s said, it began about a year ago. He still remembers Sarah when she visits, but he’s losing touch with his surroundings.”

Sighing, Dirked put his elbows on the table. Hopefully I can properly ask for his blessing when the time comes.

Ingle didn’t provide any more substantial information, but Dirk was satisfied with what he learned. On the drive back to the station, he thought of an idea. Can’t hurt. I’ll just say it was for the investigation.

Plopping into his chair, he logged into the database for background history. Bingo! He pulled up Sarah’s information. Feeling guilty for snooping, he didn’t dally. Just need to see if there’s anything I can…

His heartbeat slowed. That’s gotta be a mistake. “Hey, Ingle. C’mere for a sec.”

***

It went well. It went well!

You kept your mind off the scene. No thoughts, no flashes, and no Shaw. There’s no way in Hell the telepath saw anything. They had earwigs, so if the mage had an issue, they would’ve relayed additional questions, making the interrogator think about it. No… It was flawless.

The murderer felt prideful. The interview went off without a hitch! Sipping on a glass of wine, they waltzed into their living room and sat. “Easy.”

An hour passed by uneventfully. The phone remained silent, and nothing interesting was on the TV. Just another boring Thursday, I guess.

A car door shut, and then another. Curious, they listened to the nearby thoughts. There’s two of them.

I don’t get it. Why would she lie about her dad like that?

Calm… Just stay calm. We’ll ask nicely and figure everything out.

***

“Don’t you think we should’ve called for back-up?”

Dirk sneered at Ingle. “She’s my mate. It’s got to be some kind of mistake, or maybe an entry error.”

“C’mon, D. Things like that don’t get entered by mistake. The file said her dad’s dead, and she talks as if he’s not.”

Ignoring the lycan, he knocked on the door. “Sarah? It’s me. Can we talk?”

He was met with silence. Her car’s parked in the driveway. Maybe she’s in the bath—

A faint click came from behind the door. His instincts kicked in. “Get dow—”

Loud bangs accompanied the sudden holes in the door. Dirk leaped backwards, landing on a hedge while Ingle retreated to the other side. Gunfire.

“OPD! Come out—” Ingle stopped yelling as another shot rang out, creating another hole.

Dirk’s heart pounded, but his training took over. He brandished his Glock. “I’ll stay here. You go around back.”

Ingle nodded and kept low as he left.

Okay… breathe. Need to get that door open so I can—

How about you stay put?

He gasped. Her voice was inside his head. S-Sarah?

Stay there, or Ingle gets one in the head. I hear him thinking along the side of the house. What tipped me off?

You’re a telepath… No, no this can’t be! Dirk bit his lip, trying to control his emotions. You’re my mate!

Yeah, and you’re nothing but a monster.

A sharp pressure dug into his chest. His grip on the gun shook. He was stunned, shaken, and breathless.

Oh, I feel that! You really think I would fall for a gods-be-damned bear?

But… but you worked with Ingle.

She scoffed. Please. I hated the moment I was partnered with the fucking mutt. Speaking of…

Two more rounds went off, but Dirk didn’t hear the bullets land against the door or wall he was behind. He traversed to the other side and opened the door. Pointing his gun, he peeked into the house. There! A shadow! Wait, shit!

He realized his mistake as Sarah popped into vision. Taking cover behind the wall, he prayed as he took fire.

A sound from the other side of the home caught his attention. Peering in, he saw Ingle had kicked in the backdoor. “Don’t do this, Sarah! Toss out your weapon and no one—”

Dirk watched as Sarah turned her back on him, and aimed her pistol at Ingle.

She fired. Ingle fell down.

Time slowed, and the back of Sarah’s head was down his sights.

He pulled the trigger.

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 12
  • Wow 32
  • Sad 9
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



25 minutes ago, Bryek said:

I figured it was Sarah. Was Just too perfect to be anyone else... 

Dang, I thought I covered my tracks by making her Dirk's destined. :facepalm:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, frosenblum said:

WOW! I did not see that coming. Now I understand your "Chapter content warning: ... Nah! That ruins the fun." You have a  weird idea of fun.

I hope Ingle is okay.

Poor Dirk.

I didn't want to leave a warning, but I wanted to make sure every had their blood pressure meds on standby. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Well I didn't see that coming, one way to keep us on the edge of the seat, 

Teehee! Not everyone expected Sarah to be a baddie. 

6 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

Wow!  Blinded sided by that one!!!  Poor Dirk!  Shooting (at) his destined mate had to tear him and his bear up.  He should be strong enough to make it through...I just hope Ingle did..  Talk about a cliffie!!!  Another packed chapter but you already know my favorite part....🐼:heart:🐺

Time just stands still when reading your stories..and that was my fourth time reading this chapter.  Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything!!!!  You are still the KING!!!👑

Lot's of pain coming from this chapter. Ingle got shot, and Dirk might be emotionally scarred for life. What kind of damage did he cause? Tune in for the next chapter!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, armyraider said:

You are cruel for this cliff hanger 🤬

Cruel is the ultimate understatement. Apart from that a brilliant story. Love reading it 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, Freddie1 said:

Cruel is the ultimate understatement. Apart from that a brilliant story. Love reading it 

Fox Tv Fire GIF by Bob's Burgers

Thank you so much for reading this evil author's creation!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..