Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 4,004 Words
  • 3,054 Views
  • 33 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 2. Chapter 2: Dinner Date

Nine hours. Nine… grueling and unforgivable hours. Cyrus groaned as he stood. Nearly everything was productive. The only moment his attention fizzled was the blowback from Michiko’s motion at the start. Fortunately, the majority outweighed the tardy.

The political lectures were to be expected, but the amount of ranting bothered Cyrus. Over the course of the day, he found himself agreeing with Michiko more and more. She simply cuts through the bull. Recalling his giggle from her observations forced another laugh. I should have brought popcorn! Her and that fellow from Argentina were quite entertaining.

Walking through the front entrance, he pulled one of his bamboo-filled cigarettes and pinched the end, sparking it with his magic. Puffing, the ursus exhaled. Another two days of this and I’ll have my Kaplan again.

On the bright side, the game for the North American Summit is set and planned, for the most part. Both teams were finalized, despite Sandoval’s worries that they were lopsided. After explaining the thought process, all three settled on the structure and boundaries. Cyrus initially pegged the Canadian and Mexican leaders as inept, but once the game was named, they readily joined in. Ideas for rules were thrown out as the trio wanted to keep the game simple and easy to follow. Too many restrictions cause loopholes, and those cause arguments.

Taking a cab to the hotel, Cyrus discovered several other alphas were booked for the same floor. He chatted with Michiko and Meyer in the lobby for a few minutes, and agreed to have dinner later.

***

"Thanks a lot, guys!" shouted Tierney. He waved as the movers retreated to their truck. One of them slapped the other's shoulder and handed over a thin stack of bills. The alpha closed the door, chuffing to himself. Glad they appreciate the tip.

Leaning against the frame, he admired his newly built home. The scent of lumber and paint still lingered, but he knew a few open windows and candles would aid over time. While the furniture was placed properly, there were countless boxes to sift through. He sighed. If only—

Tierney smirked and pulled his phone out. He scrolled through his contacts until he found the local realtor, then dialed. While the dial tone rang, he plopped onto the couch.

"This is Jessica from Greater Owensville Realty. How may I direct your call?"

"Good morning, Jessica. I was hoping Rachel had a moment."

"May I ask for a name?"

"Tierney Scott. I purchased the land on Old State Road 47 several months ago."

He heard clicking on a keyboard. "Gotcha. Let me transfer you. Be just a sec!"

Vague, instrumental music played briefly before a familiar voice came on the line. "Alpha Scott, a pleasure hearing from you! I heard your home was finished recently. That might be a new Owensville record for fastest house built!"

Tierney chuckled, appreciating the banter. "I couldn't help it; the area here was too perfect and I needed to move quickly. I'm calling to ask for a favor from your office."

"Name it."

"I'd like to hire your office's stager. There's some business I need to handle and it can't wait. I may be away from the house for a while and everything's still boxed up. Coincidentally, I could use some new decor as well. Money's not an issue, so if the message could be relayed, it would be a lifesaver!"

"You need your house unpacked and decorated, is that correct? I'll call Penny and ask if she's interested."

"Excellent! I know it's a little unorthodox, but I'm in a bit of a bind for time. Whatever she needs, I'll make sure to help every step of the way."

More keys clacked through the speaker. "Sent an email to her with your contact info. I'm sure she'll be interested in the challenge, Alpha Scott."

"Thank you, Rachel. If he hasn't reciprocated, my enforcer also thanks you."

She tittered, "He called earlier this week and said he loves his new home. Give me a call if you need anything else!"

Bidding farewell, he set the phone aside. A tone rang the moment it landed. Penny Stovall… Ah, the stager! Says she wants to schedule an appointment. Perfect! He typed a few potential dates, all within the week. In the text, he also gave his preferences and budget, and received a positive response. Good.

Now I can solely focus on Stuerm. The cause flickered into his mind. From Vincent’s findings and Cyrus’ instincts, the alpha in question had something to hide. The pack finances were odd, showing an increase in incentivized surveys while not providing the benefits. No, they’re right; something’s off.

Hidden behind a stack of boxes laid the black backpack he was left by the EC’s shadow mage. His nose twitched in frustration as he remembered the British man that silently invaded his apartment. Opening the bag, he fished out the flip-phone and reviewed the short list of contacts. Drop Location, ICE, Basic Info… guess that one’ll work. He pressed the green button and put the device to his ear.

An automated voice spoke, “Your message will be recorded and filed. Please state your name and reason for the call.. When completed, please hang up.”

At the bland tone, Tierney said softly, “Tierney Scott. Will be approaching Alpha Robert Stuerm tomorrow, nine in the morning Central Standard under the ruse of an EC evaluation. Daily reports will be recorded on the provided laptop. More crucial notes will be handwritten and placed in a blue blazer inner-pocket in the closet of my hotel room.

"Initial speculation from Alphas Vincent Bolton and Cyrus Vonder indicate the use of an unverified delta on Stuerm's council, funded by mysterious survey finances. Said surveys have been deemed falsified due to consistent punctuation and grammar. Interviews with random pack members will be conducted, but I will refrain from citing the true reason for my visit.

"End of recording."

***

Days have passed with little to do. Curling the dumbbell, Wagner's wolf grew frustrated. What do?

Patience. Remember our training? We aren't supposed to live our normal life anymore.

No more pack… Sad.

He empathized with his spirit. I get that, but we're still a member of NYSP. We just can't let Harold know we're still an enforcer.

Know this.

Life had changed little in the passing week since his public humiliation, but the lycan long since forgave the panda. He recognized me while shunning me. Alpha Vonder's the most intelligent man I've met. To turn his own celebration into a pivotal point in an investigation… genius.

Panda smart. Good leader.

You can say that again. He's—

Panda smart. Goo—

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Wagner snorted. Didn't mean for you to repeat yourself.

You say say again. I do that.

Yeah, but that's what people say when they agree with you.

Ah, get it. Still silly.

Chuckling, Wagner set the weight down. Glancing at his phone, he determined it was time to prepare for his work day. Not that he needed to, he picked up extra shifts at the bar to maintain the ploy he was fired from his position. The money from being a pack enforcer kept coming, but in the form of a paper check instead of direct deposit. Silently, he thanked Cyrus. Really helps.

In addition, Harold mentioned an employment opportunity. From the earlier conversations, Wagner wasn’t sure what it entailed, but he needed to get closer to the businessman. He already gave the fake information from Cyrus’ thumb drive, earning praise. That’s strike one. Willing to accept such documents shows he’s up to something. All I need is more participation.

Arriving at the bar, Wagner tucked in his black tee and rolled his neck. He clocked in, exchanged greetings with a few servers, and took his post next to the emergency exit. Monday night; shouldn’t be too bad. Probably just gotta deal with the repeats.

Like he predicted, the night was dull and uneventful. On occasion, couples would try to sneak out his exit, but regardless of the reason, Wagner turned them around. Idiots. Just because it’s a door doesn’t mean you can use it. That makes three times the alarm would’ve went off if I wasn’t here.

Speak of the devils… He caught an approaching human couple, horny from their emitted pheromones. Wagner examined them and snorted. If he didn’t know any better, the lady seemed to have been on a drug-induced diet. The man appeared to be a sleazeball, complete with a shaven face, black leather jacket, and backwards scally cap. The pair were inseparable. Stoically shifting his stance, he blocked the exit. “Can I help you?”

“Just need to get out of here, man. Got places to be,” slurred the man.

Pointing with a head nod, Wagner declared, “Door's back that way. Fire exit only.”

"C'mon, man. I parked that way!"

The woman whispered to the man, “Let’s just go.”

Wagner scowled. “Listen to the lady. If this door didn’t have an alarm, I still wouldn’t let you out.” Wagner glared at the punk intensely. “Behind me’s a dark, damp alleyway with no lights. Once you leave the premises, your safety’s not my concern.”

The lycan smelled the twinge of fear from the human male, despite the disapproving scowl. “That’s not great customer service!”

Scoffing, Wagner couldn’t hold back the laugh. “You’re funny. I get paid to be intimidating, block doors, and send people flying. Haven’t had the chance to do all three tonight,” he said with a toothy sneer.

“Seriously,” she pleaded, “just take me home.”

From her demand, the guy backed down. As the two retreated, Wagner felt relieved. At least he’s being gentle about it. One hasty grab on her, and I’d have decked him anyway. On their way out, he caught the lady’s glance and silent gratitude. After saluting with his index and middle fingers, he resumed his watch.

Hours passed uneventfully and Wagner clocked out as the bar closed. He stayed behind to ensure the servers and bartenders left safely before taking off on his bike. Patience was needed as the 2011 Honda Rebel had seen better years. Still, she’s a good ride. Wagner babied his bike by filling it with premium fuel and washing it weekly. Stopping at an intersection, he patted the gas tank gingerly. Just a few more months of saving up, and I’ll grab that Ninja 650!

His phone vibrated, but he ignored it. Safety first. It can wait. Along the way, more silenced calls and texts demanded attention. At the sixth notification, Wagner pulled over out of irritation.

Snyder! Shit… He yanked off his helmet and quickly dialed. What’s he want at this hour?

“Alex, good for you to pick up the phone,” Harold said sarcastically.

“Was on the way home. I don’t text and ride.”

“Well, I think your bar-bouncing days are coming to an end. I have a job opening and there’s no one else to do it. My office, tomorrow afternoon?”

The delta smirked. “Send me the address and I’ll be there.”

***

Nerves were at an all-time high! It was his first face-to-face with Harold since the last pack meeting. Job opening. The subject of today’s meeting lingered in his mind. Riding the elevator, he tightened his hair and tied it off into a bun. He needed to be relaxed and in control.

Ushered in by an assistant, Wagner entered Snyder’s office. Having seen more lavish ones, he wasn’t too impressed. No pictures of family, no books… just a small bar, a few chairs, and a compensating desk.

Snyder, short and stout, grinned as the delta neared. “Alex! The info you gave me has been interesting, to say the least. That stupid panda’s been busy!”

Biting his cheek, Wagner had to be careful. He’s still a wolf. Can’t get—

“You’re angry?”

Snorting, Wagner took a seat. “You mentioned the guy who fired me in front of the new council. Of course I’m angry.” Growling, he cemented his emotional seepage. Get it together! “You said you had a job?”

“Right, right. I need help with some property.” Snyder scooted a folder across the desk. “My landlords are having some difficulty with eviction notices.”

“So you need some muscle.”

“It’s not much, but I’ll throw a hundred bucks per head you get out. Can’t be forceful or anything though. Just give ‘em the message to be speedy.”

The assignment was cruel. He sifted through the notices and found they were all in Rochter’s district. Strange. “I’ll do my best, but the enforcer over this area might get wind of me.”

Harold waved a hand out. “Nothing to worry about.”

Don’t worry about it? The statement sounded too relaxed, and Harold was very confident with his action. Keep it moving. I’ll dig into the why later. “Got it. I’ll get on this.”

“Good. I’ll have more at the end of the week. Hate to cut this short, but business doesn’t stop. Calls and whatnot.”

Miffed, Wagner rose with the folder under his arm and left. He could’ve sent this in an email… nah, that’d leave a trail. This has to be underhanded stuff if he had me come in person. Pressing the elevator button, he saw the lift was going to take a few minutes. Taking the stairs gave him more time to think. Eviction notices in Rochter’s district? He’s usually uptight about his territory, especially when Scott did an evaluation. Now Harold says to not worry?

Something doesn’t add up. I need to message Alpha Vonder.

***

Perfect. It needs to be perfect…

Filing through his closet, the metal hangers clinked against one another as Dirk searched. Reaching into the back, he pulled out a red and black flannel. Perfect. Paired with navy-blue jeans and Timberland boots, the bear was ready for a casual dinner date. All week, he waited patiently. If it weren’t for his animal spirit, his shot with Sarah might have gone down the drain. Just one text, bear.

No. One turn to ten.

Get off of it! I can control myself.

Not with mate. She human. Need to be slow.

I know, but she’s ours. Literally, our destined! After all this time with Ingle, you’d think she’s used to shifters and everything about us.

Would think, but no. Remember first meet? The recollection of her initial rejection had rooted into his heart. His bear was right; the approach required temperance. Date human, just like back home.

But this is different than back in New York! We didn’t have time for a committed relationship then, but now we do. Plus, Sarah knows we’re destined to be together. She’s probably freaked out more than anything.

Then calm her. I say date human like when try back home.

“Oh,” he mumbled. Halfway done with buttoning the shirt, Dirk growled and went to the bathroom. He lifted the flannel just enough to rub the deodorant stick on his armpits, then continued clothing himself. Right, get to know her instead of bringing up the obvious. Taking a deep breath, the ursus focused on the task at hand.

Against his desires, Sarah turned down the offer of being picked up. Arriving at Biacci’s, Dirk texted her of his arrival and plans to nab a table. He was greeted by the host and quickly took a seat. Minutes later, his instincts shuddered. She’s here.

Looking up, he saw the shoulder-length, ginger curls in the lobby. Wearing a baby-blue blouse and black slacks, Sarah Poll was everything the delta wanted. She was, by no means, a slender lady. Dirk knew she was just as agile and strong as half the officers he’d seen on NYPD’s force.

Every muscle tensed as she was brought over, but the host was too close to her. Withholding his growl, Dirk stood to pull out Sarah’s chair. He felt the need to protect what was his.

“Thanks, Dirk,” Sarah said with a smile. “Getting settled in?”

“Yeah. Chief says I’ll start in a few days, and everything’s put away at the house. Probably need a few pictures and rugs, but I’ll get them eventually.”

“So you’re an eventually guy too?” she asked.

He chuckled, “For the most part, I’m the type to get stuff done, but I like to prioritize. Primary living standards and income are at the top. Art, rugs, and conversational centerpieces get done can wait.”

“I like that. Big question before we go too far. Chief doesn’t mind in-house dating, but can you handle it?”

The thought occurred to Dirk the first night he discovered she was his destined. He whispered, “If the current Pack Alpha and Head Beta of New York can be together, I’m pretty sure I can handle this.”

Sarah’s brows furrowed. “Wait, you mean Morrine’s new man?”

“No, that’s Tierney. I’m talking the guy who took his spot.” Dirk leaned closer. “Cyrus and Kaplan are really cool guys. Maybe you’ll meet them someday.”

“They’re wolves too, right?”

“Kap is, but Cyrus is a bear like me.”

Her elbow pressed against the table. “Really? Different species of shifters can be together?”

“Yep,” he confirmed. “Take Morrine and Ty. They’re a tiger and wolf coupling. It’s pretty uncommon, but I won’t knock it.”

Silence took over the conversation. Dirk suspected she would be uncomfortable, so he tried to change the subject. “So what’s it like living in Owensville?”

“How does this work?” Her question blatantly ignored his. “How's this… relationship going to work?” Her voice was shaky, nearly scared.

He couldn’t blame Sarah for diving in. This was dumped on the both of us, but I’m the only one feeling the pull. “Slowly. I’ve talked with Vincent and Mason since that weekend, and they say to take things slowly.”

“I get that,” she added, “but… do I need to be like you?”

“Like me?”

“You know… a shapeshifter.”

Dirk scrunched his lips together. His bear longed for a companion to call his own, but both minds knew the human’s insecurities required tactileness. “I won’t push anything on you. I’m more than happy to educate you, but that’s your decision. If you want to remain a human, my bear and I will respect that.”

Sarah relaxed in her seat. Her weak smile caused Dirk to mimic. “Sorry, I just… I had a thing when I was younger.”

“I won’t ask for details, but what I will ask for is a chance.” Feeling the need to change the subject, he prodded her for information. “So, how long have you and Ingle been partners?”

“Not very long. I recently moved here from Montgomery several months ago, right around when Mason met Vincent. One of my first nights involved dealing with their crash at the Old State Road 47 intersection. Other than that, everything seems pretty normal here. Just a few druggies and speeding tickets.”

Hearing about the low crime rate soothed Dirk’s initial thoughts about working for the local police department.

He saw her drooped brows as she whispered, “Well… other than Terry.”

“I didn’t get to really meet him, but from what I saw he was a nice guy. Chief asked me to hop on the investigation, to act as a fresh set of eyes.”

“You’ve worked cases like this?” she asked.

“Yeah. There were several back at NYSP when Tierney had suspicions about certain pack members, particularly the upper class. None of them were as serious as a murder, but I’m happy to help where I can.”

The two briefly halted to give the waiter their orders, then continued conversation until the food arrived. Dirk chuckled at Sarah’s stare when his two Tuscan steaks were laid down. The bear anticipated any sense of unease regarding his appetite. Throughout the meal, he remained attentive to her and their conversation instead of solely focusing on eating. The task was difficult as his dinner rivaled some of the finer restaurants back home. Several of his bear’s demands were brushed aside as he took his time.

Finishing his plate, he noticed Sarah’s grin. “Yes?”

She giggled, “I’m sorry, I’ve only eaten with Ingle twice. I forget how much y’all can pack away.”

“What can I say? We appreciate good food. It encourages us to be better cooks.”

“You cook?”

Dirk bobbed his head from side to side. “I can’t compete with Vincent’s mac and cheese, but I make a mean shepherd’s pie casserole.”

She whimpered, barely able to hide her moan, “I’d kill for a bowl of that kid’s mac and cheese!”

“Good thing he gave me the recipe,” uttered Dirk. When Sarah seemed indignant, he laughed. “Don’t worry, it’s very Googleable. I thought about adding some roasted chicken, bacon, and ranch seasoning to it.”

“Okay, so second date’s at your place then.”

He blinked numerous times. Did she just say second date? “M-my place?”

“Yeah. I mean, if that’s okay?”

“That’s more than okay,” he blurted. “I just don’t want to go faster than what you want.”

Sarah smiled meagerly, but her elbow rested on the table. “That’s considerate, but dating is a two-way street. I’m a big girl, you know. Just let me know what’s going on in that head of yours.”

Dirk sighed and nodded. She’s right, but what if I make a move too fast? What if she needs—

Breathe.

His bear’s advice was sound. He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Right. Patience.

“Looks like something happened in there,” Sarah pointed at him. “Everything good?”

“Yeah, my bear had to beat some sense into me. However fast or slow you want to go is fine by us.”

She squinted and smirked. “And if you had your way?”

He copied her expression. “You don’t want to hear it.” The ursus did his best to sequester the dirty thoughts, but the image of his tongue dancing with hers would not be silenced.

“Ha! Humor me.”

Rubbing his shaven head, he tried to reign in the nervousness. “Let’s not and say we did. Would you like to go for a walk?”

Sarah agreed. She gave a fuss when Dirk offered to pay for the meal, and after a petty argument, they agreed to handle their own bills. They strolled down the street, passing a few other pedestrians. After three blocks, his lips scrunched. “Do…” he murmured, “would you like to hold hands?”

They stopped. Looking at him with her light-brown eyes, she nodded. Her fingers slid in between his. As they continued, Dirk’s bear clicked its tongue and grunted happily within his mind. Following Main Street, Sarah pointed out several of the shops and offices along the way. Seems like mostly insurance, dental and vision, and a bank or two. Morrine’s deli’s up a couple blocks, but this is probably a calmer area of the town.

His assumption was incorrect. Sarah mentioned the hotspots around Owensville, particularly for speed-traps. So Main Street gets a lot of action since it’s a straight shot. Plenty of people drag it like it's a strip. Neighborhood areas are quiet and the highway’s covered by the state’s patrol. There’s just a few meth-heads in the opposite way of Mason’s house. Other than that, the town stays quiet. “Sounds like a dream job.”

Sarah sighed, “Yeah, definitely beats Montgomery. It didn’t feel bad when I was there, but compared to Owensville, I can’t think about going back. Hell, I don’t know how you dealt with New York.”

“I didn’t handle much with the PD. Most of my work was with pack-related judgements. Managing the districts, handling repeat offenders, and some political garbage with the commissioner there.”

She whistled. “Wow, just chatting with the New York Police Commissioner?”

“It’s not that big of a deal,” he said with a shrug.

“Probably not to you, but the way I see it, you’re like the shapeshifting version of the position.”

“True. I mean, half the time I was at Tierney’s side and sending emails constantly.”

Sarah giggled, “Sounds very fun. Well, I’m glad you’re here.”

She’s… Dirk grinned and swayed their joined hands. “Happy to be here.”

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 45
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



6 hours ago, raven1 said:

Happy to know that the North American leaders are becoming closer as they plan for the Summit Games.  These three may need to have a few informal summits as the showdown between Vincent and Stefan gets closer.  

Nice to be rich like Ty and hire out the move to the new house, then arrange for unpacking and decorations.  He does have his priorities right.  Next step is the evaluation of Stuerm's pack.  He needs to be careful with the second secret Enforcer. 

Snyder has contacted Wagner and started things going in NYC.  It really sounded very suspicious considering what Alex knows.  Glad he is getting the info to Cyrus ASAP.  

Dirk is a mess when he think about Sarah.  Had a good laugh when his wolf tried to calm him down and reason with him.  Sarah doesn't help when she gets aggressive and wants the next date at Dirk's house.  I bet he nearly has a breakdown trying to make everything perfect for her.   Really interesting chapter with much to think about. 

I wish I had money to have someone decorate my house! Ty does have his priorities in order. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Well it looks like life goes on and on and on! I am glad though cause it wouldn't be interesting if it just was at a stand still way of life of us humans where shapeshifters live hehehe

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, scrubber6620 said:

I do not think I have read a supernatural story where all types of being lived side by side in harmony. But, others might know of ones. I like the concept. You will need a conflict and maybe rogue bad guys for the good beings to fight and win.

It is reminiscent of the approach of an alternate universe Twilight Story . Although, that series might have an astronaut land on a planet amazed by such a society

Oh don't you worry, I'll be thinking about a potential plot all day while I'm at work. Trying to work one out now in my head, but it's leaning more towards a Paranormal/Sci-fi drama with no little action/fighting. 

Nevertheless, it's being added to my growing "to-write" list. Two stories are way ahead in line: more Corporate Galactic and a Cernunnos sequel. Those I have the plots ready to go!

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, scrubber6620 said:

I do not think I have read a supernatural story where all types of being lived side by side in harmony. But, others might know of ones. I like the concept. You will need a conflict and maybe rogue bad guys for the good beings to fight and win.

It is reminiscent of the approach of an alternate universe Twilight Story . Although, that series might have an astronaut land on a planet amazed by such a society

BTW, do not forget to add dragons if you want to add fantasy. Dancing with The Dragons in Nifty is a bit like this approach.

OMG I got caught up on GA last October and totally forgot to check on Dancing with the Dragons! Thanks @scrubber6620 for reminding me to catch up on this story.  I last left them in the world of the fairies. I hope they got back by now. :gikkle:

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I loved the two stories you cited as being in line to be expanded. Thanks for your creativity and energy.

I will be a happy reader of your new stories

  • Love 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..