Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 4,177 Words
  • 2,921 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 3. Chapter 3: Beta's Betrayal

“Alpha Stuerm will see you now.”

Rising from the waiting room loveseat, Tierney grabbed his briefcase. Judging, he snorted silently. Since when does a class-C territory holder need an auxiliary? Betas can act as such. He disregarded the brunette and opened the door.

Tierney was immediately met by two men standing with Stuerm sitting behind a large desk. The older alpha smiled as he stood. "Now I heard I was due for an evaluation, but this is just a sight! Alpha Tierney Scott, I heard you retired?"

"I did, but the EC was hurting for auditors."

"Needed a hustle for your new home, I take it?"

Hiding the irking irritation, Tierney shook his head. "Call it doing a favor. Just a few evaluations in the area, then I can start my retirement properly."

The two shared a handshake before Stuerm gestured to his right. "This here's my beta, Fenn Andrews, and enforcer, Dalton Shoemaker." As their names were mentioned, the lycans bared their necks.

Tierney took note of Dalton's mating mark. He had no intention of missing a detail. The smallest thing can be useful. "Please, call me Tierney."

Stuerm's smiled became one-sided. "I take it my neighbors' relaxed nature has rubbed off on you. A man of your stature deserves recognition."

"Yes, on first impressions," he argued. "I consider Mason and Vincent good friends. They accepted my plea for sanctuary, so they have my respect."

Waving his hands defensively, Stuerm backpedaled. "I meant no disrespect to them. I recently met young Alpha Bolton. A shadow mage in these parts… it's been difficult to wrap my mind around."

"I owe him my gratitude and appreciation, especially after one of my enforcer's behavior a few months back."

"Oh?"

"Vincent was belittled. He was misinformed that he trespassed on his way back from his mentor's residence. In turn, I was gracious for Mason's acceptance into his territory."

Stuerm sat and reclined in the chair. "Forgive my prying, but I hope the delta was disciplined."

Tierney nodded. "He was; publicly humiliated during Alpha Vonder's oath of office."

The elder alpha softly snickered, "Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but to be awarded such a pack I can imagine his leadership prowess."

"Cyrus is one of a kind. If you ever meet him, don't be charmed by his giggles." Feeling the need to divert the conversation, Tierney brought the briefcase into his lap. "Hate to cut the chit-chat."

"I understand. Beta Andrews has to snap me out of conversations often. He took the liberty of getting the necessary documents ready for the preliminary questions."

Fenn handed Tierney a file, but after a quick glance, Tierney found it was the same information given to Vincent during the Mesker Park interview. Makes sense. It's still the same year, but I would’ve appreciated some monthly data. He refrained from asking as it was not required for the evaluation. Can't raise eyebrows yet. I haven't gotten chummy with him. "Thank you. I'll input this data later. Tell me a little about your territory, Alpha."

"I carry the second-largest in square mileage in Indiana, spanning across Warrick, Spencer, Perry, and half of Dubois County. Total shapeshifter population's just shy of five-thousand, mostly wolves, coyotes, and a few bobcats.”

Jotting some notes in his phone, Tierney asked, “Percentage of rural and urban inhabitants?”

“About… eighty to twenty? Does that sound right, Beta?”

Fenn nodded. “That’s correct. Most of the pack prefers a quiet life.”

Tierney hummed, finished typing, and slid the device in a pocket. “Well, that does it for now. I’ll be doing the random interviews throughout the week. Any questions?”

Stuerm shook his head. “Not at the moment, but would you mind giving my beta your phone number?”

He provided the information, thanked them for their time, and departed. Dipping his head to the receptionist, he earned a meager smile from her. Once in the car, he opened the GPS. What’s the plan of attack here? I have three interviews, and I can do them with anyone within his pack. I’ll do one here in Jasper, but I’m not expecting honest answers. Maybe the second around the Tell City area… or would Boonville be a better option?

Making an impromptu decision, he chose to wander the streets of the pack capital. He drove and parked in the downtown area. Walking around, he passed several shifters. Nearly every one immediately offered their necks the moment they noticed him. Some even whimpered and steered away. They’re well-trained.

A storefront window caught his eye. Peering in, he decided to enter. Many of the pieces were wooden, and appeared to be hand-crafted. These rocking chairs look exquisite!

“H-hello.”

Tierney turned to see a frail woman. He instantly recognized her as a lycan from her scent. “Good morning.”

“Can… Can I help you with anything, Alpha?”

He held back his scowl. “Please, I’d prefer to keep the titles to a minimum. And yes, are these handmade?”

She nodded and approached slowly. “Y-yes, the owner makes them.”

Tierney grew tired of her fear. If she’s acting like this, I can only imagine how her wolf is faring. Before he could ask another question, a faint alarm tone emitted from the back of the store. A stocky, middle-aged man emerged from a door, and with a quick glance in Tierney’s direction, he grumbled and dipped his head. Ursus? I’m surprised. Not many bears around here.

“Sorry about that, Alpha,” he growled, “Didn’t mean to disturb. Finding everything to your liking?”

“Yes, actually.” Wanting to make the best of the situation, Tierney bared his neck. “Your store and its merchandise are finely crafted. I recall old ursus traditions, and they say to ask for entrance on their lands. Mind me if I stay and shop?”

The bear was taken aback. He crossed his arms and huffed. “Not at all! Mind me askin’ what backwards place you came from, stranger?”

“New York. Just moved to the neighboring territory and I’ve been perusing furniture stores. Your clerk’s doing a fine job in assisting me.”

Tierney smelled her fear once more, and his wolf’s irritation came to mind. Why she scared? Is it him?

No. Let’s dig in a bit. “Hope I didn’t come at a bad time.”

“Nonsense,” barked the bear. “Could use any sale in this day and age. Anything particular you’re lookin’ for?”

“Everything, if I’m being honest. I built my new home recently and I have some furniture, but going from a two-bedroom apartment into a five-bedroom house…”

Both men grinned. “I see! Forgive my animosity from before. I’m Barrett Strasbaugh.”

“Tierney Scott, and no need. I understand; some alphas come off as assholes.”

“You have no idea,” scoffed Barrett. “I’m assuming you’ve met with Stormy? If not, Dalton'll make his rounds soon.”

Make rounds? “I have, but what do you mean by that?”

“Nothin’ in particular.” The bear's eyes darted momentarily. He grimaced and headed for the counter. “Let me get you a quote together.”

Confused, he tried to make sense of the sudden shift in conversation. I wasn’t ready for a quote. We were just talking. “What’s go—”

“Hold your horses, just need my clipboard.” With it in hand, Barrett started writing. “Price is eight hundred per rocker.”

The price alarmed the alpha. Eight? “Seems a little steep to me.”

A finger tapped the paper twice. Tierney looked at it and grumbled. He understood the ruse as the bear wrote. Company watching. Make it look convincing. “I think the price is too high. Are you sure you can’t come down a bit?” Joining the literary conversation, the alpha swiped the pen and wrote his own message. Can help. “How does this sound?”

The bear squinted and muttered, “Price is firm.”

He watched as Barrett left one more message on the paper, then circled it. Not my choice.

Tierney took the sheet and folded it. “I see.” Stuffing it into his pocket, he nodded. “I’m sorry, but I can’t justify the price.” Before turning away, he winked at the ursus and left. On the way out, he didn’t see anyone standing in front of the window or door. He did notice a faint odor. Delta… and it’s not the Shoemaker guy.

Driving to the hotel, he pondered the situation. Eight hundred for a rocking chair. Barrett was quick to shut down the conversation, so he knew the delta was there and listening. I’m assuming he’s tailing me. That’s not good.

This tells me my interviews aren’t welcome, and my interviewees are to keep their traps shut. But about what? Judging from Barrett, prices are higher in his shop without his say-so. I’ll need to visit some other stores to compare.

He checked into the hotel and unpacked his week’s worth of clothes and supplies. Opening the briefcase, he booted the laptop and filtered through Stuerm’s documents. Instantly, he found a potential fault. The pack’s cut for member-owned businesses was listed at five percent. Unless the bear already charged an arm and a leg for his chairs, five is too small to make sense.

The night was droll and long. Unfortunately, Tierney only found the one issue. The remaining documents were flawless. Growling to himself, he rose and prepared a shower. Afterwards, he stepped out of the bathroom and typed a report for the day, omitting his findings at the furniture shop. On the price quote, he jotted a few notes, folded it, and stuffed it in a blazer’s pocket. He hung the jacket in the closet and readied for sleep.

In the morning, he planned the day. Before leaving, he checked the blazer. Yep, note’s gone. Going to stay in town for a little bit, then head out to Tell City. Tierney exited the building, and on the way to the car, he felt eyes on him. Brushing the sensation aside, he drove off the lot and watched for activity in the rearview mirror.

Several turns later, he spotted a black Tahoe. The tail was expected after the furniture store incident, so the alpha forgoed his plans and plotted. He found the nearest highway exit and sped away. The SUV continued to trail him. Despite passing many vehicles, Tierney couldn’t shake the Tahoe.

So he pulled over and watched it pass. Getting back on the road, Tierney was surprised to see the SUV had parked further ahead. Making a split-second decision, the alpha slowed to a stop behind it. He got out and slammed the door. Let’s get this over with.

As he approached, no one was vacating the Tahoe. He knocked on the tinted window, eager to see his stalker. It rolled down, revealing a man with a buzz-cut. With a quick sniff, Tierney recognized him. This is the guy from outside Barrett’s shop! He leaned in and sneered. “Mind telling me why you’re following me?”

The delta stayed silent, but stared back.

“You realize I’m here to evaluate your alpha’s pack on behalf of the EC, right? Following me isn’t going to award brownie points on the report. And if you think your presence will alter my findings and the responses of those I talk to, you're mistaken.” He patted the sill and yelled as he walked away, “Nice meeting you!”

Tierney left the Tahoe behind and drove away, continuing his itinerary. The delta lingered in his mind. Very few people know I’m here: Stuerm, his council, and the EC. I doubt the councilmen would blab, so that leaves a short list. Cyrus did hear a rumor there’s possibility of an under-the-table enforcer on Stuerm’s council. I’m not sure if that delta is him, but I’m not ruling it out.

His time in Tell City was unadventurous and relatively unproductive. He managed to have a conversation with the owner of a local antique store that specialized in local merchandise and historic products. The owner, a lycan named Christopher, voiced praise for Stuerm’s leadership. Chris said his alpha cared for their settlement’s sense of family and brotherhood among one another. Tierney was impressed by the man’s charisma and belief in the town.

But it was shot down when meeting others. He stopped for lunch at a restaurant, formerly the historic post office, and his waitress wasn’t shy. Contrary to the shop owner, she claimed the town was clouded by smoke and mirrors. Prices are higher overall, compared to neighboring areas. Cost of living overall, from the sounds of it. In addition, the citizens were incredibly opinionated, heavily fueled by politics and key moral issues. If there was a disagreement between such topics, the participants usually ended up being two-faced behind their backs.

Tierney labeled the town as typical. They’ll say their home is great and problemless, but there’s always fires hidden behind the curtain. Before he departed, he filled the car’s gas tank and encountered a lycan in overalls. Must be a farmer. “Afternoon.”

The man quickly bared his neck and whispered, “Don’t mean to be disrespectful, but does Alpha Stuerm know you’re running around in his territory?”

“Yes, he does.”

The lycan crossed his arms. “Wanted to make sure.”

Sensing the subtle hostility, Tierney saw an opportunity. He closed the door to the gas cap and leaned against the car. “Not a fan of me, or him?”

“Haven’t gotten the chance to meet ya, so him.”

“What’s going on? I’ve been thinking about moving to this area.”

“Well let me tell you what,” he huffed, “if you plan on buying property, kiss your money goodbye. He implements a hefty tax on anyone owning more than a couple of acres.”

Tierney grimaced. Not illegal, but definitely discouraged. Farmers are probably paying through the nose! “Is it a lot? I thought about nabbing about ten acres near the edge of town.”

“Are you including forest acreage? That’ll add another tax on top.”

What? “Why?”

The man shook his head. “I don’t get it, but he says taking that property prevents others from running around and hunting. There’s plenty of woods out there throughout the territory.”

“I agree,” replied Tierney. “Sounds like he doesn’t like others having a say on his land. Any other hidden fees I should know about?”

“Let’s see…” he grumbled. “Shop owners have a tax, causing them to hike up the prices. Nope, I think that’s it.”

Already knew that. Tierney nodded and offered a handshake. “Thanks for talking with me. You’ve helped me out immensely. I didn’t catch your name.”

He clasped the alpha’s hand. “Anytime, and it’s Richard Shoemaker.”

Shoemaker? “Any relation to Dalton Sh—”

Richard scoffed, interrupting him. “Related, but he’s dead to me.”

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. Little shit ran off to be the asshole’s bodyguard, knowing well what Stuerm’s doing to the people in the territory.”

Tierney knew he found a gold mine, but he had to be careful on how to proceed. “I hate to impose, but do you mind talking more about all of this?”

Looking apprehensive, Richard took a step back.

Needing to reassure the man, Tierney shook his head. “I haven’t been honest with you, and I hope I can correct that. My name’s Tierney Scott, and I’m performing an evaluation on this pack.”

The shorter lycan coughed and retreated further. “Y-you’re with the EC? You’re pulling my leg!”

“Afraid not. I don’t mean to put you on the spot, but can I use our conversation as part of my report. You’ll remain completely anonymous.”

Richard’s nervousness was well-hidden, but after a growl he nodded. “What all would you like to know?”

“Anything you’re willing to share.”

“Mind following me back home? There, uh… there might be pryin’ ears.”

He agreed and trailed the truck out of town. Tierney didn’t blame the lycan’s paranoia. Hell, I was followed earlier this morning. Who knows if we were watched or overheard us. Once on the property, they continued the conversation.

The New Yorker wasn’t surprised by what he was told, but it unsettled him nevertheless. So I was right; there’s another delta acting as an enforcer. From what Richard is saying, this guy goes by Hunter, and he's a piece of work! While Dalton stays near Stuerm, Hunter goes around the territory collecting store taxes and dishing out the discipline for misbehaving members. Only two packs are large enough to have a delta assigned as Commander of Discipline, and Southern Indiana Pack is nowhere near the minimum classification for the position.

When he asked Richard about the surveys, the farmer looked skeptical. “Survey? You mean the census? We take that every year to retain our membership.”

“I’m sorry, retain? Isn’t that why you pay dues?”

“Yes,” answered Richard, “but it asks about additions to family and general quality of life.”

“So… it’s just for membership retention? No extra benefits?”

“There’s a little off the dues for the first couple months, but it’s nothing to twitch your nose about.”

“What is it; twenty-five percent?”

Richard shook his head and snorted. “I wish. It’s about ten percent, but that’s enough savings to cover the light bill for January.”

Twenty-five is actually ten. None of this adds up! Who the hell was performing Stuerm’s audits in the past? I’ll need to get the previous paperwork. Tierney asked the lycan if there were any other underhanded dealings in the pack, and there were none to Richard’s knowledge. After thanking the farmer, the alpha set the hotel in his GPS. Along the way, he left a voice message under the Basic Info contact, requesting all prior audits for Stuerm and relaying his current findings.

By the time he arrived at his room, he received an email from a private account. Opening it revealed many attached documents. That was fast! These are the audits from the past several decades. I almost forgot he’s been in power for that long…

Hours went by, and after reading a decade of paperwork, Tierney was exhausted. He found all of the audits were performed by the same person; Benji Powell. He evaluated my pack a few years ago. Didn’t have a lot of pep in his step, but he was thorough. Still, I don’t understand how Benji could miss everything I found today!

Tierney typed every finding into a file on the EC’s laptop, then shut it. Yawning, he decided to call it for the evening. Just as he pulled off his shirt, a text notification sounded. It was an unknown number, but it wasn’t uncommon for Tierney. Probably another EC contact or something. He opened the message and scowled. Come outside, behind dumpster.

He responded, Who is this?

After a silent minute, Tierney grumbled and clothed himself. As he took the elevator, he anticipated another encounter with a shadow mage. Hope it’s that British guy. I’ve been itching for a word with him! Leaving the building, he brandished a cigar and lit it with his fire magic. Turning the corner, he walked slowly and scanned the area. Don’t see anyone, and I can’t feel any magic either. Still… Filling his palm with energy, he prepared to send a fireball flying.

Approaching the fence hiding the dumpster, Tierney was on alert. A lone street-lamp was the only source of light, ominously pointing at the destination. Taking a puff, he exhaled. He grabbed his phone and texted the mysterious number, Here. Show yourself.

Circling the trash area, he was alone. Tierney growled to himself and muttered, “Wasting my time.” He waited, doing his best to enjoy the cigar. When it dwindled down to the stub, he dropped and crushed it under his shoe. The lycan took a few steps towards the hotel, but he heard a noise behind him. Readying another fireball, he pivoted. Nothing was there. What the… I swear… He squinted.

There was a hole in the grass. Treading carefully, he noticed it was larger than he first thought. Is it a sinkhole? Pulling his phone, he turned on the flashlight and shined it on the crater.

“Hello, Alpha Scott.”

Surprised by the voice, Tierney took a step back. He recognized who it was. “Fenn?” Aiming the light down the hole revealed a slope and the beta. He's an earth mage?

Fenn’s face was illuminated by his phone’s display. “Sorry, I tried texting you back, but my service doesn’t do well underground.”

The alpha ignored the humor. “This continued stalking won’t look well on my report, Beta Andrews.”

“Robert told me you had a run-in with Hunter. Alpha was… disappointed with him. But I’m not here on their behalf.”

“Oh?”

“I know the council hasn’t painted the best picture,” admitted Fenn, “but I want to change that. I hear you went to see Dalton’s uncle out in Tell City.” When Tierney straightened his stance, Fenn waved a hand. “Settle down, please? Hunt put a tracker on your car overnight, but once Alpha found out you confronted him, he was sidelined and I got the reins. I erased the section where you went to the farm.”

Tierney slackened, but remained apprehensive. “Why would you do that?”

“Because I want Stuerm out.”

The beta’s reason surprised Tierney. He wants his alpha gone? “Explain.”

Fenn stepped out from the hole and outstretched an arm towards it, causing the earth to flatten. “Robert’s a bad guy, and has been for quite a long time. I’m sure you’ve found some damning stuff already.”

“Enough for me to launch an investigation,” mumbled Tierney. “Stop avoiding my question; why do you want Stuerm out of the picture?”

“I see how the new Mesker Park council operates, and I want something similar. There doesn’t need to be a selfish, old fart sitting around and collecting money.” Fenn’s face showed signs of anger. “That bastard does nothing but order everyone around, and his people suffer.”

So he has a positive resolve. He seems a little power-hungry, but if the territory is suffering, then change needs to happen. “I’m operating an investigation under the illusion of an evaluation, so—”

“That’s not good enough,” Fenn said sharply. “He’s already bought Powell to keep his trap shut.”

“He can’t buy me, and I doubt he would accept my challenge.”

“No, but he’d send in Hunter.”

“How?” asked Tierney. “Shoemaker’s the listed Pack Enforcer. This Hunter guy’s just an under the table delta…” The answer came to him mid-sentence. “Before anyone issues the challenge, he fires Shoemaker and promotes the goon, doesn’t he?”

Fenn nodded. “It’s only happened twice during my tenure, but that’s the schtick.”

The alpha grimaced. I’ve heard of this being done. Regardless, this means there’s two deltas to go through. “So, should Stuerm be removed from power, where does that leave you?”

After a deep breath, Fenn crossed his arms. “First things first; I need some assurances from the EC.”

“I’m not in a position to make those calls.”

“Then get someone, because I’m risking my life being here. I have all of Robert’s files, and can pull several witnesses to multiple counts of bribery, harassment, and extortion. Not to mention the stuff I have on Powell, considering he’s covered up plenty on his evaluations.” Fenn growled, “If Hunter or Dalton find me here, I’m a dead man!”

Tierney’s lips puckered. Making a decision, he walked towards the hotel, ushering Fenn to follow. “C’mon, I need to grab my other phone. I’ll get you out of here.”

The two entered the alpha’s room, and Tierney thumbed through the contacts. ICE… probably the best one here.

He dialed and was immediately met with a familiar voice. “Problem, Scott?”

Not this fucker again! Hearing the Brit was the last thing he expected. “Still need to bust you on home-invasion.”

“Good one! What’s the issue?”

“Need an extraction. 333 River Cent—”

“I already know your hotel. What’s going on?”

“Got an informant that has enough on Stuerm to put him away, but I’m not putting his safety at risk.”

“Righto, be there in a tick.”

The call ended abruptly. Tierney turned to Fenn and asked, “Powell doesn’t have a British accent, does he?”

“No, why?”

Good. “Just checking. A shadow mage will be here in a few to take you.”

Fenn sighed. “Thanks. I suggest getting out of here. Hunter knows this is your hotel, so the second Alpha gets wind I turned on him, you’ll be on his hit-list too.”

Tierney huffed, “Great. Does Hunter have any affinities I should know about?”

“Nah, and Alpha doesn’t have another mage on-hand to assist him.”

Before another question could be asked, a man appeared in a smog of black smoke. “Alpha Scott, pleasure meetin’ you. This the man?” After nodding, the shadow mage grinned. “I’ll get him to HQ and note all the findings. Expect a call in the morning.”

“One more thing; he’s got info on Powell. Keep him away, got it?”

The Brit's glee turned sour. “You telling me EC’s got a traitor? Marlo won’t like that. The facts better be right on that one.” He palmed Fenn’s shoulder and the two dissipated.

Left by himself, Tierney recalled Fenn's advice. He took off his shirt and sat on the mattress. I'm going nowhere.

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 40
  • Wow 8
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow until I saw some counties mentioned that I know (especially Warrick) I never paid attention to where this was taking place, this is so hard packed I can't wait to read the next chapter and see how all of this is going to turn out. You have definitely got my attention.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, 1brokNangel said:

Wow until I saw some counties mentioned that I know (especially Warrick) I never paid attention to where this was taking place, this is so hard packed I can't wait to read the next chapter and see how all of this is going to turn out. You have definitely got my attention.

Yeah! Stuerm's land is actually where I grew up (my pot-shots at Tell City are justified :)). I'm writing frantically to have the next chapter ready for next week.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I like how Ty set Stuerm straight on his friends in the Owensville pack as well as Cyrus.  Ty got off to a great start by noticing the reactions of the pack wolves in the shop where he looked at the rockers.  I hope he gets them as a reward when he takes down Stuerm.  Running into Hunter and calling him out took some guts.  Stumbling onto Richard Shoemaker was pure luck, but the information was priceless.  However, Fenn was a big surprise.  His testimony will put Stuerm down for good.  Smart move by Ty to get him quickly to the EC with the warning about the other evaluator.  I do wonder at the wisdom of sticking around.  This chapter has really ramped up the tension! Looking forward to seeing the results. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, raven1 said:

I like how Ty set Stuerm straight on his friends in the Owensville pack as well as Cyrus.  Ty got off to a great start by noticing the reactions of the pack wolves in the shop where he looked at the rockers.  I hope he gets them as a reward when he takes down Stuerm.  Running into Hunter and calling him out took some guts.  Stumbling onto Richard Shoemaker was pure luck, but the information was priceless.  However, Fenn was a big surprise.  His testimony will put Stuerm down for good.  Smart move by Ty to get him quickly to the EC with the warning about the other evaluator.  I do wonder at the wisdom of sticking around.  This chapter has really ramped up the tension! Looking forward to seeing the results. 

Tension!!! *snort* Ah, love it! 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 2/26/2022 at 8:13 AM, Patch1 said:

Shit is about to hit the fan!!!!  Damn what a packed chapter!!!  Ty did a lot in a small amount of time.  I think it's time for some charred wolf!!!  Let the fireballs land where they may!!! 🔥 Seriously, another great chapter in a loooooong line of great chapters!!  You know it's great when the chapter ends before you realize it's really began (if that makes sense)!!!  I know I've said it before but I love your writing style.  It is so easy to read and get lost in the imagery.  Your words truly do paint a picture!  💗

I agree on shit is about to hit the fan! And your words truly do paint a picture!

On 3/23/2022 at 2:06 AM, raven1 said:

I like how Ty set Stuerm straight on his friends in the Owensville pack as well as Cyrus.  Ty got off to a great start by noticing the reactions of the pack wolves in the shop where he looked at the rockers.  I hope he gets them as a reward when he takes down Stuerm.  Running into Hunter and calling him out took some guts.  Stumbling onto Richard Shoemaker was pure luck, but the information was priceless.  However, Fenn was a big surprise.  His testimony will put Stuerm down for good.  Smart move by Ty to get him quickly to the EC with the warning about the other evaluator.  I do wonder at the wisdom of sticking around.  This chapter has really ramped up the tension! Looking forward to seeing the results. 

Ty setting Stuerm straight was something that might be either bad or good~ Ty notices things with the way the pack acts and knows something is up! I hope he takes down Stuerm and there is no bad problems for those that talked or with Ty.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Story Reader said:

Ty setting Stuerm straight was something that might be either bad or good~ Ty notices things with the way the pack acts and knows something is up! I hope he takes down Stuerm and there is no bad problems for those that talked or with Ty.

Ty is, most likely, the most experienced alpha in the North American continent. I only hope he's using every ounce of experience with his case with Stuerm. 

Thanks for commenting, SR!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Now we're getting somewhere!

Somehow I don't think it is going to be as easy as it sounds. I suspect there's more to Hunter than meets the eye. I also suspect that Stuerm won't be easy. One doesn't hold that kind of power for that long without having much more at one's disposal.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Stuerm ain't going down easily...part of me thinks Fern is a plant to get to Powell...

Ooooh... Interesting thought. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..