Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 4,125 Words
  • 3,382 Views
  • 43 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death in the Shadows - 7. Chapter 7: Mourning Man

The red and blue lights glowed. The passing bodies were nothing but blurs. The concrete curb he sat on was cold as ice. His entire body numb. As was his mind.

Dirk swallowed, then winced. Performing the action was intense and difficult. He wanted to hurl, but he knew there was nothing left in his stomach. Finding the strength, he looked up and saw the ambulance’s red strobe light.

Then the blood splatter on the wall again flashed in his mind.

Falling over on his knees, he dry-heaved. Tears, snot, and slobber dribbled from his face. He stared at his trembling hands as they held him up. I… They did…

He pulled the trigger. His fingers pulled the damned trigger. I killed her.

Sounds of wheels rolling managed to annoy him enough to break through his senses. A stretcher was ushered in front of him and into the ambulance. I-Ingle! Dirk fought to rise, but his knee gave out, sending him crashing down to the pavement.

“Dirk! Easy, Dirk!”

His underarms were gripped, and he was carried back to the curb. “Is… Is he—”

“He’s good. Shot, but good.”

Glancing up, he registered that his assistant was Henry. Dirk whispered, “Was… was it silver?”

The Chief sat down next to the bear, keeping a hand on Dirk’s shoulder. “Yes, but it passed through. He’s being treated for internal burns.”

A trickle of solace seeped into his mind. G-good. He pivoted towards the house. Officers and a forensics member were entering and exiting the front door.

Just as he caught sight of his deed, Henry turned him away. “Don’t look at it, son.”

“But I did it. I killed her.”

“You did what had to be done to save—”

“She was my mate,” seethed Dirk.

Henry clasped hard onto his shoulder. “Keep your voice down. Not everyone here is exposed.”

Biting his lip, he didn’t want to give a damn! He clenched his eyelids and coughed, then sobbed. “She was meant for me. Aliz gave us a life together. And… And I tore it up!”

“I’m… I’m sorry Dirk, but what else would you have done?”

The question froze time. Dirk blinked and fixated on the fleeing ambulance. What else… Ingle could’ve died. Did… Did Sarah kill Shaw? “Chief?”

“I’m here.”

“W-what’ve they found so far?”

“I… If she was your—”

“Tell me,” Dirk growled.

Henry’s sigh liquified Dirk’s muscles. “Ingle was shot with a silver bullet. Do I need to say any more?”

“Chief!”

The person yelling was familiar. Dirk looked up as Henry waved at a pair of officers. Seeing a friend, he managed to scramble to his feet. Mason, Vincent, and Tierney ducked underneath the tape. Lumbering, Dirk shamelessly flung himself into the New Yorker’s arms. “Tier… Tierney.”

“Hush, my delta. What happened?”

“I killed my destined!” He cried, gripping the lycan without caring how much strength he was using.

He couldn’t remember when he sat on the curb again, but Tierney’s gaze never strayed. Dirk slurred and stuttered through the entire scene. The only subject he couldn’t explain was his own actions. Why? Why did I pull the fucking trigger?

“Dirk,” Tierney whispered, “stop beating yourself up.”

“But I deserve it. I—”

“And I don’t care.”

The bluntness shook him to his core. His alpha didn’t care? “What?”

“Listen, and listen closely. I recognize she was your mate, your destined mate. But that woman shot one of our fellow pack members. One of your fellow officers.” Tierney’s eyes were unwavering, but Dirk could tell they were about to turn red. “Your actions are justified. Your instincts were justified. Do you hear me?”

He heard Tierney, but it fell on deaf ears. “No, I don’t. How could I do that to my des—”

Tierney slapped him. Staring at the asphalt, the burning pain on his cheek was the only thing he felt. “And what else would you let her get away with, Dirk? Would you let her keep killing if she wanted? She used a silver bullet on that officer. That makes her a hunter. Only people who know our existence would use such a thing. Why your destined was a hunter, I don’t know. But I know Aliz has her ways. She put Sarah on your path for a reason.

“Learn from this. Search within yourself, but don’t let this decision dictate your life.”

The bear trembled. Tierney’s words echoed in his mind. I know he’s right… but I just—

Alpha right.

M-my bear?

Alpha right. No argue. Mate… mate is killer.

But did she kill Shaw?

Not know, but she attack lycan.

So what do we do?

We look.

Agreeing with his animal instinct, he bit his lip and looked at the house. Patting Tierney’s shoulder, Dirk walked toward Sarah’s home. He was about to pass Henry before being stopped by the human. “Let me in.”

“No way. You’re in no shape to investigate this.”

Dirk snarled. “Ingle’s out, so that makes me your only detective. I need to figure out if she…” He rolled his neck and shoulders, pushing his feelings away. “If she’s behind Shaw’s murder.”

The chief had a stern grimace, but after a few seconds he stepped to the side. “I’ll take the bedroom.”

Not sure if I could handle that right now. Best he takes her room. Grunting, the bear stepped inside. The scent of her was intertwined with blood. Clenching his fists, he focused. He found one of the officers and approached. “What’ve you found so far?”

“Not much yet. The forensic guy went out with the coroner, but we bagged the pistol and the shells.”

“What’s the model?”

“Nine millimeter Browning.”

Matches the caliber from Shaw’s wounds, but that’s not a lot to go off. “Send for the FBI team, if they’re not already on the way. I want them here to help canvassing.”

“On it, boss.”

As the uni called for assistance over the radio, Dirk took to the kitchen. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary, so he started with the drawers. Giving a few junk-laden ones a thorough search, he found the utensils and seethed. The scent was unmistakable. Silverware. Forks, knives… they’re all silver. Add another chalkmark to being a hunter. Stooping, he opened the cabinet under the sink. He felt his heart plummet. In a planted holster was a revolver, stocked with more silver. Was she paranoid? Recalling all of his encounters, he dismissed the notion. No, she was calculating. She could read minds. I’ll probably find more than this. Five bucks says one’s under the couch cushions.

Finished, he went into the living room. As expected, he found a Glock in the sofa. “Henry! Found two more guns.”

“That’s cute.”

The remark piqued his curiosity. He was about to pass the splatter, but he stopped. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and hugged the opposite wall, avoiding the mess. Before he entered the bedroom, he shivered. Sarah’s scent was strong. It took every ounce of willpower to continue forward. I… I need to see this through!

That’s when he saw what Henry had found. A pump-shotgun laid on the bed, as well as two pistols and a few knives. The silver in the air was suffocating. He took a step back and shielded his eyes. She… She’s actually a hunter. Why? Why the fuck would Aliz do this?

Not know.

This looks bad, but still nothing connecting her to Shaw. “Did Sarah ever talk about her dad to you, Chief?”

“Nope. She was real quiet around me after she moved here. Why?”

“None of this makes sense. Her file says her dad’s dead. Passed about a year ago, but she talked as if he was still alive. Hell, she had a call from him over a week ago.”

Henry straightened. “Sounds like we need to find her phone. Check with the unis outside and see if it’s been bagged.”

Following the order, he got the evidence log and saw the phone was there. We’ll look into that later. Let’s go to the backyard. Thought I saw a shed back there.

Along the way, he walked slowly, not wanting to miss anything. He scanned the yard. There’s the shed… and no recent digging. As he reached the door, he noticed two things. A padlock prevented him from opening it. His nose also twinged. No…

He gripped the door and tried to open it, but the odor blasted his nose. Turning towards the house, he yelled, “I need bolt-cutters!”

An officer came running just as he headed to find them himself. The lock snapped off and he entered the small barn. Nothing was aflame, but the scent burned. No… I don’t believe it. I can’t believe it!

Behind a push-mower was a black duffel bag. The cop shined a light on it. Dirk shook as he knelt. Pulling on the zipper, he gagged and covered his nose with his arm.

“What is it, sir?”

Dirk remained silent as he stared. Black boots, black pants, shirt, socks, and underwear. All of it stinks of smoke. He stood and left the shed. Needing support, he leaned against the wooden fence, slid, and sat. Hearing the human’s steps, he sighed. “She did it. She’s the one who killed Shaw.”

He wanted to cry and roar. He wished to shift and run into the woods, never to see civilization again. The one he loved was a hunter and a murderer. Where… where were the signs? Dirk lifted his head and whispered, “Get the Chief. Tell him to come here.”

“No need, sir.”

When he looked to his left, Henry was sauntering to him. “I’m assuming the worst?”

Dirk nodded lackadaisically. “Black bag in the corner. Clothes that smell like a burning building.”

The chief nodded his head to the officer, who took the signal to leave. “Can you tell if it smelled like Shaw’s?”

“Don’t know. The smoke’s strong, but… But everything points to it being her.”

“It doesn’t make sense. How did she get caught up in this mess with Stefan?”

He didn’t feel like having the conversation, so he shrugged.

Henry took the spot next to him, grunting as he knelt. “You were persistent with working the case. This is the time to tell me if you’re good or not.”

Dirk sighed and rested his head against the wood with a thud. He closed his eyes and felt his cheek muscles twitching. “Stefan got to Shaw, so who’s to say he couldn’t talk to anyone on the force. Maybe he’s got an informant with the Hunters Association. Maybe he felt her magic at some point.”

“All sound possibilities. We’ll have to hope she left something on her phone or laptop. Collin’ll go through those over the next few days. Mace said he’ll get the phone Stefan gave Vincent to see if there’s a matching number.”

“Stefan’s smart, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up.”

“Wouldn’t be so sure,” Henry muttered. “Vincent thinks he’d keep the number. The bastard can be across the world in a minute, so there’s no need to ping its location over and over again.”

That’s true. A small pleasantry for him, I guess. “Still, we can see if the EC would get a location on him and send a shadow mage of their own after him.”

“Don’t bother. They’ve tried; it’s in the files. They made an attempt a few years ago with no luck.”

His anger bubbled. The man responsible for coercing his destined was going to go unpunished. He slammed a fist onto the grass. “Fuck!” The rest of emotions flooded within him. Dirk bit his lip and tried to fight the incoming tears.

Henry patted his shoulder. “I’ll give ya a few. I think the FBI team just got here, so I’ll have them take over for our guys so they can head back to the station and pull all info on Sarah.”

Dirk watched as the chief rose and headed for the house. The sun was setting. Seeing the orange sky made him sob. The color… It’s the color of her hair.

***

“Room fourteen. Try to let him rest, okay?”

“Of course,” said Mason. “Ready, pup?”

Vincent nodded. They thanked the receptionist and left to find Ingle’s room. The stench of the hospital was nauseating, but him and Mason wanted to check on him. He got shot because of Stefan. I feel partly at fault for this. “You think he’s okay?”

“Ingle’s a tough guy. Haven’t been shot with a silver bullet, but if anyone can handle it, it’s him.”

The statement sounded ominous. “You’ve been shot before?”

“Yeah, but it was a normal bullet. Nothing a shift couldn’t fix.”

The mage palmed his shoulder, remembering his fight with Griffith in the parking garage. It did hurt, but that was a claw. “What’s it like?”

Mason appeared uncomfortable. “It depends. I was hit in the side when I was in wolf form. It felt like when I was stabbed in the shoulder, but it can be more painful when a bone is struck. Why are you asking?”

“I feel like I should know if I’m ever in a fight.”

The men stopped walking as Mason grabbed Vincent’s shoulder. “Just know that if you’re hit, get out. Got it? I don’t…”

Vincent understood. “I know, big guy. Same goes to you, okay?”

Continuing, they held hands and pumped positive energy into their bond. He’s right; I don’t know what I’d do without him. They reached the room and knocked. “Ingle?”

The lycan was dressed in a baby-blue gown with his shoulder bandaged. Vincent swallowed when he noticed the pink and red blotches seeping through. What bothered him the most was Ingle’s behavior and emotions. The man was trembling, and a blend of anger and sadness wafted through the air. He’s pissed! “Ing—”

“Alpha.”

Vincent looked to Mason. The taller alpha approached. “We wanted to see how you were doing.”

Ingle shut his eyes and growled. “My partner just tried killing me. Doin’ fucking peachy.”

“You’re alive.”

“She shot me with silver. She’s a fucking hunter.”

Vincent leaned against his mate and whispered, “No one knew.”

“But I should’ve,” seethed Ingle. “I rode with her every day. Talked to her every gods be-damned day!”

“She was a telepath. She knew how to act to keep herself hidden. You can’t blame yourself for that.”

The patient stared at him. “What? This entire time, she could read my thoughts?” His lips were pressing against each other before sitting up. “I need out of here.”

Mason got to the bed before he could swing his legs to the side. “Stop.”

“I’m fine, Mace.”

“No shit, but you need to keep up appearances. You were shot. You’ll be out in a few hours anyway.”

Ingle snarled before hurling himself back in bed. “I just need a shift.”

“I get it, but you’ll be wearing a brace for a week or two. Might look suspicious if you go back to work tomorrow without one.”

As the lycan grumbled, Vincent bit the inside of his cheek. I didn’t even think of that! Damn… If anyone saw my fight with Griffith, then I’d have to sit and suffer until I got to the hospital. That sucks! “Did you want some food? I can get you anything you want.”

Mason smirked. “He means that. Anything in the world. What was that you got from Calabria last night, baby?”

“Nduja.” When Ingle raised an eyebrow, Vincent chuckled. “It’s a spicy pork sausage from Italy.”

“Oh… Right, shadow magic. That stuff sounds good.”

“It’s a little early there, but I can see what’s open.”

Looking around, he saw no one was around. His vision went gray as he blurred through the hospital. Checking his watch, he ran towards Italy. After traveling with the compass, he knew to adjust his trajectory when crossing the ocean. It’s still weird to see the red needle change direction when I’m going straight.

Arriving, he found his way to Reggio Calabria, but wasn’t satisfied with the options. Figures; it’s one in the morning here. Maybe Okinawa…

Vincent rushed into the country, nearly passing the city. Whoops! I guess I’m getting faster at running. He wandered the streets with a smile. Finding a vendor, he ducked into an alley, emerged, and walked towards him. He opened his phone’s translator app and saw skewers with chicken and vegetables. That’ll do! Asking what they were and if card payments were accepted, Vincent purchased five yakitori. When he was given the container, the vendor bowed his head. Right, I’m in Japan. Vincent returned the gesture and left.

Once in Ingle’s room, he waited for a nurse to leave before appearing. “Nothing was open in Reggio Calabria, so I got you some yakitori from Okinawa. Hope that’s okay.”

Ingle blinked several times as Vincent set the box in his lap. “I, uh… That’s fine? And what’s this again?”

“Yakitori. I think it’s chicken.”

Mason snorted and laughed. “You didn’t ask what it was?”

“It’s what the guy said, but it smelled great.”

The officer slid a piece off and ate. “Shit… that’s good. Damn, that’s really good! You didn’t have to do that, Vincent.”

“I thought it’d be nice. Might convince you to rest in bed a bit longer.”

Ingle huffed while taking another bite. “It helps. Thanks, guys. Do you know how Dirk’s holding up?”

Mason shook his head. “Haven’t heard, but him and Henry are handling the scene.”

“Figured Henry would step in, but Dirk shouldn’t be running around. He might go crazy.”

“Don’t count him out. He’s a tough guy.”

“Yeah, but he shot his destined. I don’t have to have one to think what he’s going through right now.”

Thinking about his bond, Vincent silently agreed with him. Yeah, I’d go nuts if I lost Mace.

Yes. Lose mate not good.

The three hushed when a different nurse entered, but they relaxed as they recognized her as pack. “Sorry, guys! They got me running around with my head cut off. Mr. Ingle, you’re good to go. Just keep this on anytime you go out in public for the next week, all right?”

She handed him a brace, and as he took it, Ingle prepared to stand. “Justin, miss.”

They flashed a smile to each other, and she twirled her hair before departing.

Mason bent backwards to watch her leave, then laughed. “You mustn’t be your normal self if you let Alexis off the hook.”

“Hm?” The lycan struggled to clasp the strap under his arm.

“Alexis. The nurse that asked for sanctuary a few years back. You’ve had the hots for her since.”

Ingle snapped the clasp into place and grunted. “Right, right. Nah, I’m not for all that right now. Just got a lot on my mind, Alpha.”

“All right. Henry told me to tell you that if he sees you at the scene, he’ll rip you a new one.”

“I’ll take it. Can’t even think about being anywhere else. Can either of you pass me my phone?”

Vincent obliged, but felt Ingle was acting bull-headed. “It looked like they had everything covered. You should eat and rest.”

“He’s right,” said Mason. “Your wound’s been cleaned, but it’s still healing. You’re going to need that food to keep up your strength. But if you’re going to be stubborn about this, I’d head to the station and dig up anything you can on Sarah.”

Ingle nodded. “Sounds like a plan. I’ll eat this real fast. Don’t need anyone asking where I got real Japanese food. You guys mind dropping me off? Jeep’s parked at the station.”

The couple agreed and waited for the lycan to finish his food. During that time, Vincent noticed the officer’s mood changing. He’s starting to smile again. At least we can get his mind off everything, even if it’s for a short time.

After dropping Ingle off, Mason decided to call Henry and get an update. Eavesdropping, Vincent heard enough to make his stomach churn. Pistols and a shotgun, all loaded with silver. How did she keep all of that a secret, especially from Ingle?

“—I’ll check with my liaison and see. We haven’t heard anything about HA activity since the attack years ago.”

HA? What’s that? If he’s talking about the attack where Dave’s brother died…

“I’ll give you a call when I hear something, Henry.” Mason hung up, set the phone in a cup-holder, and palmed Vincent’s knee. “What’s on your mind?”

“What did you mean by HA activity?”

“Hunter’s Association. Not exactly a threat to our way of life, but organized enough to be a problem.”

“How so?”

“They operate off outdated chat rooms, from what I understand. No physical headquarters, but they have a few online operators that review tips and rumors, then dispatch hunters based on the threat.”

Vincent scowled. “I haven’t heard about them.”

“They’re more of a threat in larger cities. I’ll give Remis a call and recommend their pack go on alert.”

“I’ll handle that if you need to call Lily.”

“Thanks, pup.”

Both men retrieved their phones. Scrolling through his contacts, Vincent had to smirk, even for a moment. I’ve never had so many numbers saved. Ever since I met Mace, I met so many new friends. He tapped Remis’ name and waited.

“Vin! Been a hot minute since I heard from ya. What’s going on?”

Hearing the Irish accent made Vincent smile. “Sorry, Remis, but it’s business. We’re thinking we had a hunter living in Owensville and they just acted.”

“Aw feck! Think it was a sleeper, or is it HA?”

“We’re not sure. Mace is talking to Lily about any documented rumors, but he recommends you guys to go on alert or something.”

“Better safe than shot, I suppose.”

Vincent cringed at the word choice.

“Eh? Somethin’ happen?”

“One of our members got shot with silver. He’s recovered, but… The hunter was destined to Tierney’s enforcer that moved with him.”

“Ifreann fuilteacha,” cursed Remis. “Did they catch the bastard?”

“Dirk… Well, he killed her.”

Remis sighed. “Hate to hear that. I’ll get with Ashford and put the pack on alert. Suggest you all do the same. Remind me in a week to plan an eatin’ house day with you two. And bring ol’ furball too! Lad owes me a pint.”

Vincent chuckled. “Will do. It’s good to hear from you, Remis. Tell Bartlett and Ashford we said hi.”

“Roger. Stay safe.”

His call ended, but Mason still had his phone to his ear. He’s probably on hold. Vincent whispered, “Remis says hi, and Caleb owes him beer.”

Mason rolled his eyes. “Waiting for Lily to get info from the EC spymaster. Went ahead and had her check for MPCP and SIP as well.”

“I’ll call Fenn while we’re waiting.”

Once connected, he explained the situation to the beta, only leaving out the destined detail. “Thanks for letting me know, Alpha Bolton.”

“Vincent.”

“Right… Sorry, still getting used to that.”

“You probably have your hands full, but we’re here for you.”

“If hunters hit us, you’re my first call.”

Hanging up, Vincent came to a realization. I’m an emergency responder! Thinking of Holly’s offer, he contemplated working for the EC. It allows me to practice running in the shadows, and I’ll be helping out other shifters.

More fight too.

Right, I could use that experience too. It makes too much sense.

Agree. Work for EC.

I’ll… I’ll talk to Mace about it. I want his input before we throw ourselves in harm’s way.

As he pocketed the phone, Mason set his in the holder again. “Lily said the spymaster didn’t have anything for any of our packs, but they advised us to be on the lookout for the next week. Closest area of activity is up in South Bend.”

“So the EC has a spymaster?”

“Yeah, no one but Marlo and Bylus know who they are. They follow the HA rooms, different social media groups, and anything else that might cause shifters trouble.”

“Right. I think I’m figuring out how structured the EC actually is.”

“They’re good, but there’s still some faults. Like how you were awarded Mesker Park. That was a hole in the bylaws.”

Vincent grumbled. They’re not perfect, but still…

“Something on your mind?”

The mage held Mason’s hand. “I want to talk to both you and Cyrus before taking the next step, but… When I helped take Stuerm to the EC headquarters, their shadow mage said they’re always looking for help. I don’t know if it’s from tonight, or when Fenn said I would be his first call if they were attacked.

“But I think I want to work for the EC.”

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 44
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



4 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

What a mess. The telepath was really a hunter with a large number many silver bullets and weapon her house. She is dead and the evidence was found to show she killed Shaw. The case is closed. But,Dirk survived and has killed his destined. He is crushed. Ingle was shot by his former partner and is disturbed. The telepath was really able to hide her identity as a hunter. 

Dirk is going to have trouble working out the loss of his mate. He is fortunate to have friends to support and counsel him.

The presence of a hunter caused Vincent and Mason to warn nearby packs and the EC. The packs will be on alert for a while. The loss of the telepath hunter might cause and inquiry and visit by a hunter or hunters.

I am surprised Vincent has decided he wants to work for the EC and improve his skills. The hunter death in their midst or a possible new attack made him think more.   He met an EC shadow mage and said he could be useful to the EC. He plans on talking with Mason and Cyrus.

I wasn't expecting a heavy Dirk section to this story... but hey, content! Expect a lot from Owensville new bear in the near future. 

Who knows what's coming to Owensville and surroundings! Was Sarah even acting on the HA's behalf? Will we even find out? All depends on that forensics guy. 

Vin working for the EC? I wonder if this was the choice time to get Mace's opinion after two of his pack members were shot at...

4 hours ago, Kitt said:

I smell another visit from the gods on the horizon! Hope someone remembers to ask how to help Dirk thru this. Losing a destined mate is bad enough. Being in the impossible position Dirk is might prove to be too much!

I'm willing to pay for information on how y'all keep getting in my dang Google Drive. $5 per route found. 

3 hours ago, mansexlover said:

Great chapter as always  I really feel for Dirk.

I hate to be the guy... but Dirk had some karma coming from picking on Vincent during their first meeting.

3 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Dirk is a mess. On the positive side, his bear is very pragmatic about what had to be done. His bear will help him through this.

Knowing the HA doesn't have much of an organization is both a positive and negative. It doesn't provide a tangible target. If big cities are at a worst threat, why was she here unless only for Stefan? How many more hunters does he know?

Our Vincent is truly spreading his wings by wanting to work for the EC.

Dirk is a mess, but can we blame him. He was given his perfect soulmate, but it seems Aliz got the packages mixed up in the mail. 

The bigger cities are more susceptible. Doesn't mean small towns are off the table. We also don't know if Sarah was even sent to Owensville. More details are needed. 

2 hours ago, Paqman said:

I hope his card company is Lucan owned. The fraud algorithm will be getting suspicious if he keeps buying stuff all over the world faster than anyone could fly between locations.

This is very funny! I might add a small detail in a future chapter. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

OMG, have to wonder if Dirk will ever fully recover from this.  Ingle will be okay, but no one will hunt longer or harder for details about how this hunter slipped  into their lives.  We need some of her backstory.  Is her father really dead; or is he a hunter and this was just a backstory, if so he could come looking for revenge.  

I could see how Vincent's ability would give him a leg up working for the EC; but he needs to be training, would this actually help that?

Great chapter, can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

OMG, have to wonder if Dirk will ever fully recover from this.  Ingle will be okay, but no one will hunt longer or harder for details about how this hunter slipped  into their lives.  We need some of her backstory.  Is her father really dead; or is he a hunter and this was just a backstory, if so he could come looking for revenge.  

I could see how Vincent's ability would give him a leg up working for the EC; but he needs to be training, would this actually help that?

Great chapter, can't wait to see what happens next.

Dirk's recovery is a mystery, and we'll need to keep a close eye on him. I know the author certainly did...

Vincent EC work might be beneficial. He'll get to use his magic for regular purpose and not just training when the mood takes him. Using his power practically, it'll become second nature to him. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Interesting developments, take aways from across the globe, silver bullets , betrayal,  you certainly gave us all of it in this chapter, it seems that they are heading for a major battle ahead, a really great chapter, 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting developments, take aways from across the globe, silver bullets , betrayal,  you certainly gave us all of it in this chapter, it seems that they are heading for a major battle ahead, a really great chapter, 

Major battle, eh? The question is what kind will it be. Can't wait for y'all to find out. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Poor Dirk.  He is devastated after killing his destined mate Sarah.  I also hope for divine intervention to help him deal with this.  It is encouraging that his bear is handling this more logically.  Also having Mason and Vincent there will help him.  It is important that he decided to distract himself by working on the case.  Sarah is still a mystery that needs to be solved.  I believe that she was an active member of HA, and the shifter community will soon be in danger from the HA.  Vincent's decision to work for the EC is a good way for him to get experience in real life and death fights.  It will also help him with his assignment from Yakob.  Great chapter!  Again! 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Paqman said:

I hope his card company is Lucan owned. The fraud algorithm will be getting suspicious if he keeps buying stuff all over the world faster than anyone could fly between locations.

I had the same thought.  Usually, especially in today’s world of identity theft, you have to notify your card companies that you will be traveling overseas and using the card in order to not initiate an automatic freeze until they can verify the use.  Although Vincent could have told them that he does a lot of last minute traveling, so they shouldn’t be surprised at charges from various global locations.  But he’ll still have to be careful.  He can’t logically have charges in Tokyo, then Italy and then Indiana, all within a 2 hour stretch!  They really will assume identity theft!

I said in the last chapter that Dirk was going to be devastated.  Of course he is.  Right now, he is in shock.  I agree with Henry.  He really shouldn’t be working the scene, but right now, he’s working on adrenalin.  Sarah is proving to have been such an evil person as a Hunter, that investigating the scene like this may actually help him overcome his natural Lycan inclinations to run. His bear is surprisingly level-headed in this situation.  He may be functioning right now, but when he falls in a couple of hours from now, he’s going to fall hard.  He’s going to need people around him who can hold him up physically and emotionally.  Tierney will be there for him.  So will Vincent, Mace, Dave and the rest.

I’m glad Ingles will be fine.  Silver bullets are no jokes to Lycans.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Poor Dirk.  He is devastated after killing his destined mate Sarah.  I also hope for divine intervention to help him deal with this.  It is encouraging that his bear is handling this more logically.  Also having Mason and Vincent there will help him.  It is important that he decided to distract himself by working on the case.  Sarah is still a mystery that needs to be solved.  I believe that she was an active member of HA, and the shifter community will soon be in danger from the HA.  Vincent's decision to work for the EC is a good way for him to get experience in real life and death fights.  It will also help him with his assignment from Yakob.  Great chapter!  Again! 

Y'all stuck on this HA business, huh? Might have to switch up some further plans...

We'll see what Mace thinks about his destined wanting to be in harm's way in the next chapter. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

I had the same thought.  Usually, especially in today’s world of identity theft, you have to notify your card companies that you will be traveling overseas and using the card in order to not initiate an automatic freeze until they can verify the use.  Although Vincent could have told them that he does a lot of last minute traveling, so they shouldn’t be surprised at charges from various global locations.  But he’ll still have to be careful.  He can’t logically have charges in Tokyo, then Italy and then Indiana, all within a 2 hour stretch!  They really will assume identity theft!

I said in the last chapter that Dirk was going to be devastated.  Of course he is.  Right now, he is in shock.  I agree with Henry.  He really shouldn’t be working the scene, but right now, he’s working on adrenalin.  Sarah is proving to have been such an evil person as a Hunter, that investigating the scene like this may actually help him overcome his natural Lycan inclinations to run. His bear is surprisingly level-headed in this situation.  He may be functioning right now, but when he falls in a couple of hours from now, he’s going to fall hard.  He’s going to need people around him who can hold him up physically and emotionally.  Tierney will be there for him.  So will Vincent, Mace, Dave and the rest.

I’m glad Ingles will be fine.  Silver bullets are no jokes to Lycans.

I smell financial trouble for Vincent. He'll need some advice. Maybe Cyrus could ask Teddy for him? Honestly, I didn't give banking much thought with Vincent's sudden traveling. This will be clarified in future chapters. 

Dirk is the author's latest victim. When will I lift my thumb? Meh, I don't know...

  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

Great chapter! I really feel for Dirk…I could not imagine losing my mate.  I’d probably go bonkers. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, JR Tittle said:

Great chapter! I really feel for Dirk…I could not imagine losing my mate.  I’d probably go bonkers. 

Thanks for reading, JR! I have no idea what I'd without Noah. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/25/2022 at 4:40 PM, Paqman said:

I hope his card company is Lucan owned. The fraud algorithm will be getting suspicious if he keeps buying stuff all over the world faster than anyone could fly between locations.

Omg, too true! I just got that call this morning as my card was used in traveling but then I arrived and was restless and driven to online shop at 0300; fraud alert, your card purchases have been suspended until verification from our fraud department…..

Too funny, but oh so true.

I’m getting paranoid as @astone2292always seems to drop a new chapter when I’m starting my 8-10 hour driving shuffles between Alabama and central/south Florida…oh the pain of update teasing 😈.

Edited by Philippe
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
17 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Y'all stuck on this HA business, huh? Might have to switch up some further plans...

We'll see what Mace thinks about his destined wanting to be in harm's way in the next chapter. 

Well….Stefan wants to destroy Vincent and expose the supernatural world; and Sarah was apparently tied to his operation in some fashion. Was she canvassing the entire pack for all members? She was a powerful weapon to have free (telepathic) exposure to the leadership echelons of multiple packs. Let alone the training knowledge and allegiances to include Vincent’s.

Fortunately, most telepathic skills tend to be present thought mind reading; as opposed to full  mind scans. Therefore the victim has to have guided conversations or Locale inspired thoughts or memories.

@astone2292, have have some wickedly possessed fingers you must get under control. These evil villains that keep popping up to hurt our special pack members and even ripping the heart of a destined mate…you are evil to let those phalanges loose upon your keyboard!

Sarcastic Season 2 GIF by Friends

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Philippe said:

Omg, too true! I just got that call this morning as my card was used in traveling but then I arrived and was restless and driven to online shop at 0300; fraud alert, your card purchases have been suspended until verification from our fraud department…..

Too funny, but oh so true.

I’m getting paranoid as @astone2292always seems to drop a new chapter when I’m starting my 8-10 hour driving shuffles between Alabama and central/south Florida…oh the pain of update teasing 😈.

I don't mean to post during your driving times. It just so happens to be posted at that moment! :gikkle: Sometime between Friday and Sunday. 

50 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Well….Stefan wants to destroy Vincent and expose the supernatural world; and Sarah was apparently tied to his operation in some fashion. Was she canvassing the entire pack for all members? She was a powerful weapon to have free (telepathic) exposure to the leadership echelons of multiple packs. Let alone the training knowledge and allegiances to include Vincent’s.

Fortunately, most telepathic skills tend to be present thought mind reading; as opposed to full  mind scans. Therefore the victim has to have guided conversations or Locale inspired thoughts or memories.

@astone2292, have have some wickedly possessed fingers you must get under control. These evil villains that keep popping up to hurt our special pack members and even ripping the heart of a destined mate…you are evil to let those phalanges loose upon your keyboard!

Sarcastic Season 2 GIF by Friends

I'm not sure if Stefan wants to destroy Vincent, so much as offer a fair chance for revenge. Sarah was obviously brought into Stefan's world, but was she offered greatness, or a single opportunity? Perhaps her phone and laptop have answers...

I'll ask Noah whether he thinks my fingers are evil as well. :gikkle:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Another WOW chapter!!  Loved seeing the "human" side of Dirk...dealing with the grief and the anger...knowing he killed his destined is a lot but Dirk is a tough one.  I feel like he will eventually make it out ok (or at least I hope he will).  Having Sarah as hunter may be a tough pill to swallow but is she linked to the business with Dave's brother? 🤔 Hmmmm....  Anyways, another triple read for me before I could even comment...  So damn good!!!!!  Was in the zone for sure on this one! :worship:

  • Love 3
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

Another WOW chapter!!  Loved seeing the "human" side of Dirk...dealing with the grief and the anger...knowing he killed his destined is a lot but Dirk is a tough one.  I feel like he will eventually make it out ok (or at least I hope he will).  Having Sarah as hunter may be a tough pill to swallow but is she linked to the business with Dave's brother? 🤔 Hmmmm....  Anyways, another triple read for me before I could even comment...  So damn good!!!!!  Was in the zone for sure on this one! :worship:

Ooooooooh! Such a spicy suggestion! Is Sarah connected to Dave's deceased brother, Christopher? Holy crap! Where are the phone and laptop records?!? 

Dirk is a tough cookie, or at least has appeared to be one. Let's see if the author can make him crumble...

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
23 hours ago, astone2292 said:

I'll ask Noah whether he thinks my fingers are evil as well. :gikkle:

How can you expect a fair and honest assessment as HIS fingers invoke…

No…ah…ah…ahhh

No….ahhh

despite the sound of…, disagreeable pleasure??

Yes, yes! Fingers can be delightfully evil 👿 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Wow!  What a Chapter! I feel as if I'm out of breath.  Poor, sweet bear Dirk. I will be interested to find out the connection between the Hunter and Stefan!  Can't wait for more chapters.awkward people GIF

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..