Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 3,047 Words
  • 2,592 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Mental Health will be discussed. I will flag specific chapters where it is heavier than others

I Hate This Town - 34. Chapter 34: Reunion Part I

Things went faster than he could have ever imagined. He had accepted an offer on his house a week after it was officially put on the market. They were working out all the details and then he’d have one less obstacle to worry about. Unfortunately, it’d still probably be at least a month for everything to be finalized. Alec was trying to find houses in Iowa that he wanted to look at when he got back. He’d even entertained the idea of buying something completely online so it’d be ready for him when he got arrived.

He'd shot that plan down and he found himself getting frustrated as he scrolled through the listings on his laptop. He’d already arranged packers and movers. He even settled on storage. All he needed was the old house to sell and the new house to magically appear. Alec was growing impatient and irritable. His phone vibrated and he scowled at it before dragging it to him. He hadn’t heard from Finn today and he was positive that it’d reflected in his mood. They normally started and ended the day with a phone call, but the blond had been silent that morning. He glared down at his screen, blowing out a puff of air when he saw a message from River.

[R: I was not prepared.]

Alec frowned and tilted his head a bit. Prepared for what? He’d been hearing from River sporadically which made sense with the time difference, but that’d been bothering him as well. He felt like everything was bothering him and he really needed to get over it.

[A:What do you mean?]

The bubbles indicating his friend was typing popped up immediately and Alec bit his lip as he waited. It wasn’t like his friend to be vague.

[R: Just how busy Kenji is. He didn’t even pick me up when I got here. I maybe see him for a couple hours every night and he’s normally still working on something in the hotel room!]

[A: I mean…he has all of his business…business.]

[R: Shut up. It sucks. I feel like I’m always alone. I don’t speak the language and Tokyo is so freaking big it’s terrifying.]

[A: Come home?]

River’s text bubbles didn’t appear right away this time and Alec frowned down at his phone. As if it was the device’s fault that what he’d said might have upset River. He didn’t know what else to say! If his friend was miserable, he shouldn’t be there. Alec rolled his response over in his head. Was he being selfish? Did he suggest it simply because he was lonely too? His train of thought derailed when his phone vibrated aggressively in his hands. Now, River was calling.

“Hey, listen if that ups-“

“I’m in love with him.”

Alec lowered his phone, confirmed it was River calling, and then double checked. He was positive that he’d never heard his friend say that. Sure, he’d crushed on people, but River had kept love out of his vocabulary when it came to romance. Alec was still trying to process it when he noticed how long he’d been silent.

“Are you sure?” His palm almost connected with his forehead. What a stupid thing to say. Especially when talking to someone who didn’t throw the phrase around carelessly.

“Yeah, well, I mean I don’t know. I’ve never been in love before, but this is different from anything I’ve ever felt.” River sounded near panic as he rambled and Alec sat up more.

“Hey. Hey. It’s okay. It’s okay to be scared and it’s alright that you feel that way.” Alec said in what he hoped was his softest, most comforting voice.

“Tell me I’m crazy. Stupid. Tell me I need to come home, Alec.”

“Why would I do that?” Alec’s face pulled down into a frown.

“Because it’s true.” Alec’s eyes widened when River’s voice started to sound…wet, “I can’t do this, man. I’m so freaked out and I barely ever see him. Is this what my life’s going to be? Fuck that. Fuck this. I don’t want to be in love.”

“River, breathe. You’ve only been there two weeks, so obviously these feelings aren’t new. Have you talked to Kenji about any of this? Not even the love thing-though you should-just how alone you feel?” Alec asked.

“No. He’s here for work. I knew that when I came. It’d feel weird complaining now.” River’s voice was shaky and Alec hated how far apart they were.

“That’s not like you. You always talk about things when they’re bothering you. This is the second time you’ve avoided doing so with Kenji.”

“I know! I know, okay? I feel childish as fuck and I hate it, but I can’t do it.”

“Deep breaths, pin cushion. I know you’re freaked out, but maybe it’s a good thing? It could mean your feelings are real. You don’t want to throw that away Riv.”

River sniffled and Alec confirmed he was crying. River wasn’t a baby like him. This was out of character. He sighed, “Listen.”

“I am listening.”

“You care about him?” Alec asked.

“Y-yeah.” River hiccupped.

“He obviously cares about you. Anyone can see that when you two are together.”

River made some strangled noise that Alec took as a confirmation, “Then you don’t actually want me to tell you to run. You aren’t a runner, River.”

“I’ve never had something that scared me enough to want to run.” River said softly and Alec was relieved to hear his voice evening out.

“Run toward Kenji instead of away. Double down. If it doesn’t work out, we’ll deal with the fallout, but River, what if it does? I want you to be happy and I’ve never seen you look at anyone that way.”

“Have you tried poetry?” River chuckled, sniffling more, and then let out a sigh. He cleared his throat, “Alright, meltdown, finished. God that was gross.”

“I do it to you all the time.” Alec smiled and rubbed the back of his head, “My turn?”

“I will pass the break down baton to you, good sir.” River snickered softly.

“Nothing is moving as fast as I wanted. I haven’t heard from Finn today. He hasn’t been able to get his classes and everything together, so I have no idea when he’ll actually come here. It’s been two weeks and I feel like a piece of me is missing.” Alec rambled.

“Oh good, I’m not the only irrational crybaby. I get it. He’s your person. He was that way when we were younger too. His presence comforts you.” River said.

“Shut up.” Alec was pouting, but he couldn’t stop himself.

“I’m positive Finny boy is just as desperate to get to you as you are for him to come. He’s obsessed with you. In a cute way.” River laughed again.

“I feel like I’m going to have a real break down. I want to go back. It’s so lonely here. I had friends and I never acknowledged them and I feel like an asshole.” Alec was still rambling.

“Wait, which friends?” River interrupted.

“August, Sage, Lukas, and Cam.” Alec sighed.

“You’re an idiot. They know you’re friends. They’ve always considered you a friend. They just also know you’re a bit of a loner.” River laughed, “You’re so damn dense Alec.”

“Thanks.”

“Don’t be a brat now. I love you. They love you. Finny boy loves you.” He could perfectly imagine River’s teasing grin.

“Yeah, yeah. Go tell your serial killer that you love him.” Alec smiled.

“Hm, he did come to the hotel without his suit jacket last night. Maybe it had blood on it!” River gasped and Alec rolled his eyes.

“Goodbye weirdo. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Let’s practice! I love you, Alec!”

“I love you too, dork.”

“That’s not how you should address Finn when you say it. You c-“

“Goodbye River!” Alec laughed as he hung up, glancing down at his phone.

There was still nothing from Finn and he closed his eyes as he leaned back against the couch cushions. It was unrealistic to expect the other man to call on an exact schedule every day. Finn had a life. He had responsibilities that he couldn’t ignore simply because Alec was feeling lonely. With that, he made himself start moving. He’d spend some time looking at houses later. For now, he needed to call the realtor and see how everything was going. It’d be great if things were set in stone and he’d actually have a departure date solidified.

 

Alec didn’t hear from Finn at all that day and his mood crumbled pitifully. He was sulking around his house when he decided to stop being a needy brat and make use of his time. Again. He was right in his guess of a month, which meant he’d have limited time to make plans with people. When it got closer to the time to leave, he would be far too stressed to organize anything. He scrolled through his phone and added names to a group chat before sending off a quick message.

[C: U sent this 2 Lukas. Doesn’t matter wat I say he’ll make me go.]

Cameron’s message came almost at the same time that his husband’s did.

[L: Of course! WE’LL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

[S: I don’t believe we have plans. I will let August know. He doesn’t get on his phone during studio time.]

Alec let out a breath of relief. Some part of him still thought they’d reject him. He wandered to his closet and looked through his clothes. They’d soon be packed. He should set some aside so he had something to wear when they were. That wasn’t something he needed to worry about right now.

He made himself focus and picked a loose, rose-colored, button down made of silky-feeling fabric and some jeans. His hair was grown out and the blue was fading to an unpleasant greenish color, so he worked with what he had. Styling it as neatly as he could. He needed a haircut too and his result made him frown. It’d have to do. His options were limited.

[S: I will take care of the reservations.]

Alec raised an eyebrow in confusion but shrugged. Sage could be in control if he wanted. The guy was totally type ‘A’ so perhaps the thought of anyone planning something for him made him uneasy? It didn’t really matter. Alec trusted him to pick something good. He had good taste and he was more rational than any of the other attendees. Except for maybe when it came to August.

Having got himself ready too quickly, Alec rested back on his couch. Sitting around waiting was the worst thing for him right now. It let his thoughts drift. Why hadn’t Finn called him or even texted? Was he really that busy? He could’ve overslept. He had to stop jumping to conclusions. He missed his boyfriend and it was causing him to question everything. He’d been asking himself what he’d done wrong, but he hadn’t come up with an answer. That was because there wasn’t one. He hadn’t done anything wrong. Finn was simply busy and just hadn’t had time. That was all.

He let his head fall back and stared up at the ceiling, letting his phone drop into his lap. Staring at it wouldn’t make Finn contact him faster. It was like watching boiling water. A watched pot would never boil or something like that. He stretched his arms above his head, reaching toward the sky and groaning softly as it loosened his tight muscles a bit. Everything was fine. Things were moving along at a fair speed and it’d all work out. Worst case scenario, Finn wouldn’t be able to come to Washington before he was finished up. That’d be fine because he’d be back home after that. He didn’t need constant contact from his boyfriend to confirm that. He nodded to himself. He probably wouldn’t even need his phone at dinner. That’s how totally fine the situation was. He was rational and mature.

He straightened and snatched his phone quickly when it vibrated again. He groaned out loud when he saw that Sage had messaged him again. Not that he’d been expecting Finn. It really was fine.

[S: Farfalle at six. I’ve reserved a table. It’s under your name.]

Alec replied quickly and settled in for the nearly two hours remaining until it would be socially acceptable for him to leave for the restaurant.

 

Farfalle was an upscale Italian restaurant. The food was amazing. The restaurant itself was decorated beautifully and there was an open bar. Alec was considering skipping the food all together. He eyed the bar as he stood to the side, waiting for his group. Cameron strolled in, wearing a black sweater and black jeans with clunky, black combat boots with far too many buckles. Lukas was still in the doorway, holding it open and talking to someone.

“Someone he knows?” Alec asked, nodding toward the big man.

“No. He just met ‘em. You know how he is. Holds the door and somehow manages to make a best friend.” Cameron rolled his eyes, but Alec caught the way his eyes softened when he looked at Lukas.

“Alec! Thanks for inviting us!” Lukas pulled him into a spine-crushing hug and Alec thought his eyes might pop out of his skull. At least the black, gray, and red argyle sweater vest that he was smashed against was soft. When he released Alec he checked over his ribs to make sure none were broken as he looked up at Luke. At least he was wearing regular grey pants today instead of corduroy.

“Don’t mention it.” Alec winced when Lukas patted his shoulder and possibly dislocated it.

“I had intended to arrive earlier, but August was stopped. As per usual.” Alec let out an undignified squeak as Sage appeared next to him. He wore another huge hoodie with baggy, oversized jeans. His brown hair was a chaotic mess and there were dark circles under his eyes.

“Stay up late gaming again, Sage?” Lukas laughed and Alec winced at the volume. He might actually lose his hearing if Finn and Lukas were ever in the same room.

“There was only one battle left. I was in the zone.”

“He beat it for the record. I woke up to go workout and he was a little lump of zombie on the couch. I’m pretty sure he didn’t sleep at all.” August smirked as he draped his arms around Sage’s neck, leaning against the smaller man to a degree that made Alec worry for Sage’s back.

“Sleep is for the weak.” Cameron scowled.

“Not all of us can survive purely out of spite, Cam.” August grinned.

“Anyway,” Alec said turning to the hostess, “Table for Alec or Kennedy?”

“Oh yes, for six. Right this way.” She said, smiling.

“I’m sorry, it’s only for five. If that makes a difference.” Alec said as he followed anyway.

“Six is correct.” Was all Sage said as he pushed past Alec. August winked and then shoved his hands in his pockets as he followed his boyfriend. Alec stared at August’s back for a long moment. He was in an Armani suit. With a metal band t-shirt underneath. Blasphemy.

“Why are you so overdressed August?” He asked as he trailed behind them.

“I had an awards thing before this.”

“They won.” Sage nodded as he sunk into the chair August pulled out for him. Lukas pulled out both Alec’s chair and Cameron’s, smiling at each of them.

“Was it a big deal?” Alec asked as he scooted his chair up to the table. It was round with a thick, cream-colored tablecloth and a vase of flowers in the middle. It was pretty. The whole restaurant was.

“Eh, it was televised and what not.” August shrugged, laying his head on Sage’s shoulder.

The smaller man petted his hair gently as they both looked at his menu. Alec glanced over and watched Cam point to something on Lukas’ menu. He’d leaned close enough that he’d earned a sloppy kiss on his cheek. He scowled at Luke, but there was a faint pink tint to his cheeks. Envy slammed into Alec and he rested his elbow on the table as he gazed disinterestedly over the menu too. He missed Finn even more now. It wasn’t fair that he was so far away. Alec wanted cuddles and kisses. He’d never noticed how much of a buffer River had been.

“Do you know when you’re going to close on your house?” Lukas asked.

“About a month.” Alec said, resisting the urge to run his fingers through his hair.

“That’s so long! I couldn’t be away from Cam Cam that long!” Luke gasped and frowned, “Are you sad that it’s going to take longer?”

“I could do with some time apart.” Cam sighed, playing with his long hair. Luke pouted at him and Cameron sighed.

“He is coming here, is he not?” Sage asked, fingers moving through August’s white hair and black roots. August looked like he was on the verge of purring, drooling, or taking a nap.

“He was supposed to, but things haven’t been going to plan. I’m not sure if it’s going to work out.” Alec shrugged.

“That’s unfortunate. Perhaps, it will make your reunion more meaningful.” Sage said with a soft smile.

“I hope so. I’m driving myself crazy. I’ve never felt so needy. I mean I’m codependent, but it’s getting ridiculous.” Alec laughed.

“Gross.” Cameron’s nose scrunched and he stuck his tongue out.

“I think it’s adorable! Good for you Alec!” Lukas announced to the whole restaurant. They got some looks but Cameron stared anyone brave enough to stare, down.

“You seem really happy.” August agreed.

“I am. Well, I will be when I get back and see Finn.” Alec sighed.

“That’s good, or this surprise would’ve been super awkward.”

Alec jolted as the chair next to him was pulled out and a very familiar ass plopped down into it. His eyes widened as he stared, even a little open-mouthed. His brain had completely shut down. The forced reboot was taking far too long to complete and he couldn’t find any words.

“Hey baby.”

Copyright © 2022 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 55
  • Haha 1
Thank you for reading and if you choose to do so reacting and commenting.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 9/13/2022 at 4:34 PM, weinerdog said:

When  the hostess said " Table for six" I started to put 2+2 together. [snip]

2+2 equals 4!! The table was for six. 😜

Good stuff, @Demiurge! My second time of reading (but first time of commenting...). Just binge-read the first 34 chapters (that's how readable this story is).

  • Like 2
Link to comment

River strikes again. The surprise guest arrangement has all the hallmarks of River's organisation.

If Alec won't say it, I will. River you are crazy. Stupid. You need to come home. Mr Smug Charmless Watanabe is not worth it. I am sorry, he was too busy to even bother to come and meet you at the airport and leaves you alone all the time? Really, bullshit excuse.

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..