[DomLuka] desert dropping ch. 8

I keep forgetting I am betting that Gina was probably Italian....I shouldn't assume, but I am betting a guess.......and Italian mothers are strong and loving yet domineering..you are right, Grandma Alice has pushed all our buttons...a loveable eccentric lady but boy oh boy..to the moon Alice...(with all due respect to Jackie Gleason)

she is pushing mine.....she personifies Italian drama...(many a Shakespearan play set in Italy...he knew....LOL) Italian drama for the uninformed makes Gay Drama look like amateur night......

None of them seems Italian to me. They don't talk long enough, with enough emphasis, and I haven't read about them waving their hands around alot. Of course that's a stereotype, just like "Italian mothers are strong and loving yet domineering".

From a purely logical perspective, since Eddie's last name is Soarda, and Rory's last name is Norick, Norick must be his mother's last name. And that sounds about as Italian as Swensen.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep forgetting I am betting that Gina was probably Italian....I shouldn't assume, but I am betting a guess.......and Italian mothers are strong and loving yet domineering..you are right, Grandma Alice has pushed all our buttons...a loveable eccentric lady but boy oh boy..to the moon Alice...(with all due respect to Jackie Gleason)

she is pushing mine.....she personifies Italian drama...(many a Shakespearan play set in Italy...he knew....LOL) Italian drama for the uninformed makes Gay Drama look like amateur night......

None of them seems Italian to me. They don't talk long enough, with enough emphasis, and I haven't read about them waving their hands around alot. Of course that's a stereotype, just like "Italian mothers are strong and loving yet domineering".

From a purely logical perspective, since Eddie's last name is Soarda, and Rory's last name is Norick, Norick must be his mother's last name. And that sounds about as Italian as Swensen.

ROFLMAO! Mark, God I love you!!!! You just keep me laughing! Man, how do you come up with all those lines of yours? Loved it... LOL

Love and Peace,

Solace

Just to show you all what a seriously lost Domaholic I am:  I have done genealogical research in the past, so after I read this post, I went to one of the genealogy websites to check on the derivation of the name "Norick"  :P   :rolleyes:   :lol: .

Kitty

And? You can't just leave us hanging, what'da find out?

heheh :)

Speaking of being a lost Domaholic, while working out yesterday, I was wondering what would have happen if Dom had switched Luke's character name with Rory's character name.  Imagine the fun we would have with that:

Eddie Soarda's voice over the phone  "Luke, I am your father."  <with the Darth Vader voice breathing deeply>

I just can't tell if you're wrapped too tight or not tight enough. :wacko:

Sharon

If you ever tie your lineage into mine, I have got a treasure for you. I have 4 cases of family records that I have accumulated over the past 15-20 years. Now, due to work and being a Domaholic, I have no time to work on it!

One day.........!!

Cool, thx Kitty.

And it also brings up something I've thought about for a while that I've thought was cool about Dom's work - how (to me) he frequently uses very unusual last names. For example, Dovan, Knightly, Phelman, Pruitt, Keslin, Gurrick, Rixis, Ashpock, Clair, etc... Don't really know why it matters, but... somehow the "differentness" of the names makes them seem even more real.

Hmmm... just noticed... Connors. Another last name that appears in two different stories - maybe TLW's no-name city is close to Phoenix? hehe

Cool, thx Kitty.

And it also brings up something I've thought about for a while that I've thought was cool about Dom's work - how (to me) he frequently uses very unusual last names.  For example, Dovan, Knightly, Phelman, Pruitt, Keslin, Gurrick, Rixis, Ashpock, Clair, etc...  Don't really know why it matters, but... somehow the "differentness" of the names makes them seem even more real.

Hmmm...  just noticed...  Connors.  Another last name that appears in two different stories - maybe TLW's no-name city is close to Phoenix?  hehe

You're right, the last names do make a difference, although I'm not sure why, either. :lol: I don't think there's a duplicate of 'Conners' but there is something close if you're talking about Angela Conners from DD and Shane Conner from TLW. :P Okay, so it's pretty much the same, but the 's' makes the difference, sort of. I wonder if Dom knows what he's doing with these names or if he's making them up on the spot. I absolutely love the name Aiden Knightly. :wub:

*gasp* Oh the horrors. I just read Chapter 8 (It was Wednesday yesterday) and I must say that I was shocked.

The box got opened. *shock shock shock* I wasn't expecting that.

Other than that yeah, everything else is pretty much Dom-esque.

Now we all know what was in the package - and still nothing really happened!!

Wow, cliffhangers are OK, but gee, one can only wait this long!

Dom, great story! I know you are probably a working guy like the rest of us - but we are all waiting in antici.......pa........tion! So PLEASE, don't let us wait too long!

Each and every day I think "Today will be the day he posts a new chapter ... today will be the day ..."

I'm flippin' out  -- in a good way.

Unfortunately, he mentioned that he was gonna work on chapters of TLW next. (though - it's a great story if you haven't started reading it) :)

Guest patrick

Is there any news on when the new Desert Dropping chapter is going to be added?

Is there any news on when the new Desert Dropping chapter is going to be added?

Patrick,

Dom is currently working on a couple chapters of 'The Log Way', so it may be a while before he gets to Desert Dropping. He could surprise us (if his creative juices inspired him to write DD in between TLW), but you'll probably see a couple chapters of TLW before you see a new Chapter of DD.

HTH,

Vic (These are just my guesses based off his other posts, I've been known to be wrong before)

Guest patrick

Hmm...thanks Vic. I saw the note about finishing a couple chapters of TLW, but I was hoping that he was working on that simultaneously. Oh well. I am sure that is quite overwhelmed already! I guess we'll just have to be patient. :(

Hmm...thanks Vic.  I saw the note about finishing a couple chapters of TLW, but I was hoping that he was working on that simultaneously.  Oh well.  I am sure that is quite overwhelmed already!  I guess we'll just have to be patient.  :(

Hey Patrick...in between the waiting for more Dom Chapters..don't forget to check out Matt, Meg and Appollo's amazing stories.......I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy:)

BTW..I love your Avator:) makes me feel less lonely, if you check out my Avator:)

Rainbow Hugs and Hershey Kisses and Rainbow Jelly Beans for the way cool Avator...remember we have to stick together...oh wait, isn't that your line to me..hee hee:)

well, I loved the DVD..so hence, my love for the Avator..and yours too:)java script:emoticon(' :wub: ')

Michael

Hmm...thanks Vic.  I saw the note about finishing a couple chapters of TLW, but I was hoping that he was working on that simultaneously.  Oh well.  I am sure that is quite overwhelmed already!  I guess we'll just have to be patient.  :(

While I'm waiting as much as anyone, Dom's chapters tend to run in the 11-13k word range. (Chapter 8 was 11,487 words, for example) Even if it flows well, that's a lot of writing to do, and I hear rumor that Dom's got a life on top of it... :)

Guest patrick

Hey Patrick...in between the waiting for more Dom Chapters..don't forget to check out Matt, Meg and Appollo's amazing stories.......I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy:)

BTW..I love your Avator:) makes me feel less lonely, if you check out my Avator:)

Rainbow Hugs and Hershey Kisses and Rainbow Jelly Beans for the way cool Avator...remember we have to stick together...oh wait, isn't that your line to me..hee hee:)

well, I loved the DVD..so hence, my love for the Avator..and yours too:)java script:emoticon(' :wub: ')

Michael

The two main groups which seem to be consumers of animated children's movies seem to be children and gay men...what do those two groups have in common? 0:)

and I totally agree with you....there are adult themes in many a Looney Tunes cartoon......and "Rocky and Bullwinkle" was clearly a heterosexually-oriented one....or how about Popeye and Brutus......Gay lovers?

LOL

"I yam what I yam."

Kitty :)

With a little imagination, just about any film can be construed to have homosexual undertones. I suspect that the perception of the interpreter has more bearing than the way the movie was meant to be.

Now we all know what was in the package - and still nothing really happened!!

Wow, cliffhangers are OK, but gee, one can only wait this long!

Dom, great story!  I know you are probably a working guy like the rest of us - but we are all waiting in antici.......pa........tion!  So PLEASE, don't let us wait too long!

I don't think it's cliff-hanging so much as taking seriously the character development and giving us detail about the emotional action. It would have been very disappointing if the box had contained some ludicrously implausible plot device (the title to Disney Land, we're all millionaires, hey, there's now no problem being gay, not having known about my father, etc etc coz the magic box solved it). I love the fact that Dom takes the time to let us into the internal life of the characters so much. Plot is good but inner plot is better.