[dkstories] Dreams Of A Father

Wow!

Just wow!!

It has been a while since I had a wet throat after reading a story......Damn!

Just...another wow!!

Hurry up and start, and then finish, Rich Boy....'cause I want to read what happens to Garret and Paul.... :P

BeaStKid :devil:

I can only echo what's been written already. Excellent last two chapters, and it's been a privilege to read the story.

Dan I have to say, is one of my favourites on GA; his illtelligent and original storylines really capture the imagination. Looking forward to whatever comes next. :worship:

Thanks to those who have already commented and I hope others will comment as well. There were a lot of things I liked in this story, and first among those was actually getting out of Garret's head at times and seeing how the minds of some of our other characters worked. I do have a clear storyline in mind for Dreams of a Son, which will be worked on after I have finished Rich Boy: Inheritance (and the conclusion of dreams will hopefully be the last time I commit to finishing up a trilogy). Not that I'm tired of the stories, but I feel so limited at times by having made the committment to finish these stories that I think it limits me as far as providing good stories.

Dreams of a Son takes place around sixteen years after Dreams of a Father and will, of course, focus on the trials that eighteen-year old Paul Atrix goes through.

Rich Boy: Inheritance is already started (although just barely), and when I've finished about half the chapters for the story you will see some new chapters start posting. If anyone wants to work on a graphic for it...I won't object. :)

Please, if you've just finished Dreams, let me know what you think. This story was a complicated one for me, and I'd like to know what worked, and what didn't. Thanks!

I made already a comment in the review. What was interesting in this story was the description of the religious groups, the prophet, the sisters, and the fight between the archbishops. It remains me (from far) what happens now in the the Roman Curia, the administrative apparatus of the Holy See, the apparently divergences between the Pope and some more liberal cardinals. I

Edited by old bob
Dreams of a Son takes place around sixteen years after Dreams of a Father and will, of course, focus on the trials that eighteen-year old Paul Atrix goes through.

Isn't Paul five at the end of DOaF? Then, sixteen years later, shouldn't he be 21? :unsure:

• Site Moderator

The next saga should be interesting as we might see Paul grow up some or we just may jump ahead in years.

Dan left us with just a glimmer of hope that Garret might be back, but I don't really expect it to happen. Garret did dream of his death during the dreaming.

Did Dan leave us with a goat moment? I'm not going to say one way or the other. That's up for you to decide.

Well done Dan.

Again Dan, amazing job :) You have a gift for putting the readers in the same space as your characters, so much that it seems like we're right there standing along side Paul, Garret, and the rest of the cast. Your talent for inventing scenarios and projecting them throughout the story is above par as well, the littlest snippets of info in one chapter becomes the whole plot of another.

I can't wait to read more stories by you Dan, you're the best :)

Eric

Dan you are an evil evil man. One that is really good at writing riveting endings that make you roll over and beg for more.

So moar please!!!

Looking forward to the next installation of RB tho.... I've gotten enough emotional trauma over your evil DOAF story. :D

Dan I can't thank you enough for your stories. I am currently on Chapter 17 of Dreams Of A Father. I like to take my time reading so that when I get to the end of one chapter you have completed the next one. I'm real fortunate this time as now the whole story is complete.

You're the best and I have enjoyed reading your stories for many years and hope you continue for years to come.

Sincerely,

James

First time poster here. I have loved this story from the beginning like some delicious secret that only I knew of. I would check as often as I dared to see if there was a new chapter. Usually not, but when one appeared it was special ... like a child with a much-wanted toy.

This was achingly beautiful, and made me so sad at the end. But I have faith that there is more greatness to come.

I must admit that I'm fairly salivating at the thought of a return to Rich Boy, however.

Dan, if you read this ... I feel so privileged to have been able to read your work. You are a masterful writer and a true puppeteer to my soul. Thanking you seems somehow inadequate, but it will have to do.

To all Dan's fans everywhere, I send greetings from Birmingham, AL. Good health and happy times to each one of you.

Madison Cole

Thanks guys! It really is good to hear that you enjoyed this story so much. Dreams of a Father really scared me when I set about writing it (which is why it took so long, at least in part). There were so many differences in this story from others that I have written, writing it wasn't the easiest of experiences.

There were also a lot of fears involved. I knew how much Garret's character changed from the first story, but I wasn't sure if I could express the reasons for those changes soon enough to carry the character through the first few chapters. Then there was too much background stuff without anything happening and that caused the story to chug along right at the beginning (not a good thing). Plus, there was the problem of showing things from Paul's perspective. Obviously (from the ending) he will play a major role in the next part of this story, and I needed to put some flesh on his character now, before writing that next part. I also wanted to show what's going on with some of the supporting characters from the first story (like Alex, Lukas, and Billy). Normally I limit the perspectives in my stories to one or two people, but this one had ended up with several and I worried about making each of them 'distinct' in their personalities and tone.

All of which can be summed up with: I'm really, really glad people liked it!

• Site Administrator

Dan, I have to apologize for not commenting and thanking you so much earlier.

I read Dreams of a Father religiously and enjoyed every chapter. If anything, I don't know if I can wait for Dreams of the Son, but somehow I will :P .

That last chapter, wow!!! I don't think I have felt such emotions over a scene in a book as I did when Paul woke up and realized it was just Neil and him now. If anything, it tore my heart out. I guess I was still waiting for Garret to notify Neil to bring Paul up to the Command Centre. My throat actually closed up with the realization of what happened.

I have to admit that I do not usually get into space sci fi stories with the exception of Tophers'. I will now admit that since following the characters of this series I have a new favourite :worship: .

When I think back to when we first met Garret in the whorehouse and to see him evolve from escaping, starting a shipping company, to helping the Republic beat the federation, to him marrying and siring his son and onto the kidnapping and saving Paul to his ultimate sacrifice of giving his own life for all of humankind it is an amazing tale so far.

I have nothing but high expectations for the next book and I know for sure you will deliver.

Thanks again,

Steve

• Site Administrator

Well, as I told you privately, I finally took some time to read the story. As always, wonderful work Dan!

Myr

Gah, I put off reading the story until it was completely done, and hoped that when I finished, this story would be finished.

As I read more of it, I realized that that probably wouldn't be the case, but I still held hope. Even if the ending was hastily written and sloppy, I would have been glad for an ending.

And then it turns out to be a cliffhanger, and there's another book in the works.

Geez. I'm spread out so thin with all these stories, there are times when I get them confused.

But, anyways, great story DK.

I just started reading your works the other day. The cliffie to the first part had me really angry; the ending to this part... Let's leave it at I really can't wait to see part 3.

Good work.