Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Cody Needs a Partner

Cody's Man  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Cody end up with...who should his partner be?

• Matt
    • Brian
    • Robbie
    • Brad
    • Marcel
    • Max
    • Danfield
    • Cole
    • Alejandro
    • Someone we haven't met yet
    • Someone on Matt's Hockey team

• 2 weeks later...

Cody's bevavior has me convinced he really shouldn't be settling down. Dude's not ready yet. I think he'll settle down in his early 30's like Ace did.

I happen to agree. He likes playing the field. Also, I don't think he will end up with Brian. I know some want him to end up with Matt, but I really do see someone else coming along.

Cody's bevavior has me convinced he really shouldn't be settling down. Dude's not ready yet. I think he'll settle down in his early 30's like Ace did.

"Settling down." That's an interesting concept. What does that mean to Cody? Probably something different than it does to you, to me, to Matt, to Brad, to anyone else. I think Cody desperately wants and needs love, but he needs to find love like that which will still give him his sexual freedom. I don't think that for him, "settling down" can mean a monogamous relationship. I could see him happy in a Stef/JP kind of relationship, but I'm not so sure about a Brad/Robbie one.

• 3 weeks later...

"Settling down." That's an interesting concept. What does that mean to Cody? Probably something different than it does to you, to me, to Matt, to Brad, to anyone else. I think Cody desperately wants and needs love, but he needs to find love like that which will still give him his sexual freedom. I don't think that for him, "settling down" can mean a monogamous relationship. I could see him happy in a Stef/JP kind of relationship, but I'm not so sure about a Brad/Robbie one.

Actually, I think Cody should settle down with Carullo, the beefy football player that Matt's been doing on the side at Stanford...Cody's big dick (bigger than anyone else's in the storyline) will really fill Carullo to satisfaction, and Cody will finally feel completely engulfed...without having to hold back on entry.

Edited by kjames

Yeah, he's more like Lou and Marcel or JP and Stefan. I think he and Max can manage it. :2thumbs:

I think it will take some work on Max's part to handle that kind of thing. He's a monogamous guy.

Surely seven different men are enough for him?

God I hope not.biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...

It looks like Mark is setting up Kevin as Cody's "forever" guy...but...I dunno. Like Mark said, I don't think Cody could ever really be settled down in the way we think of it as.

Cody needs to get away from just being an agent to being a true deal maker, packaging the director, producer, writer and actors and then getting a percent so he can start to build a base.

Kevin is frankly too good for Cody. A Stanfurd guy would get bored pretty quickly with someone like Cody. The sex might be good, but Kevin needs someone more intellectually challenging.

They might have good sex, but even that gets old.

• Like 2
Kevin is frankly too good for Cody. A Stanfurd guy would get bored pretty quickly with someone like Cody. The sex might be good, but Kevin needs someone more intellectually challenging.

They might have good sex, but even that gets old.

Damn. Burn.

Cody's not book-smart, but one of his things is that he's supposed to be people-smart...he can read a person like that. That's his strength as a character. Still, I feel fatigue with this character, considering that he's been a love interest for the main protagonist for three stories.

Edited by methodwriter85

That's specious reasoning. Cody isn't a college graduate, therefore not capable of intellectual discussion or having any substance? Wow, just . . . wow. I don't think we have even remotely enough information about either Cody or Kevin to be making a determination on them as to their compatibility. Both have only ever been explored as f**k buddies to the primary characters. Keep in mind, Kevin has been showcased as a slut himself, and has quite a bit of notches on his own bedpost. Acting like he is some sort of innocent or virginal saint is certainly ignoring what information has been presented. Infact, the only difference between Cody and Kevin is age and the fact that Kevin is in college.

To be honest, I know many college graduates that are vapid, shallow and barely worth the air they breathe, and I can state that I know people who have never seen the inside of a college campus who are witty, intelligent and more than capable of holding their own in deep discussions. It's pure elitist bs to assume college educated equals deeper and more interesting, while non formal educated equals one dimensional buffoon.

• Like 3

You and Tim both have pretty good points here- it hasn't really been demonstrated that Cody is intellectually challenging, so I can see why Tim would react the way he has to Cody. By the same token, we haven't really seen Kevin display a keen intellect, and it's only an assumption that Kevin has one because Kevin goes to Stanford. For all we know, Kevin might be one of the guys who's really good at memorizing and test-taking, but is not all that smart.

You and Tim both have pretty good points here- it hasn't really been demonstrated that Cody is intellectually challenging, so I can see why Tim would react the way he has to Cody. By the same token, we haven't really seen Kevin display a keen intellect, and it's only an assumption that Kevin has one because Kevin goes to Stanford. For all we know, Kevin might be one of the guys who's really good at memorizing and test-taking, but is not all that smart.

Being good at memorizing and test-taking may get you into an institution like Stanford, but it's not enough to keep you there.

True. If I were honestly interested in Cody and Kevin's storyline I'd sugged for you to expand on Tim's theory- have Cody be insecure about being with a guy as smart as Kevin- but...the story's already pushing 50 chapters, and I rather the rest of the story actually focus on characters that I really care about..

But again, that makes the assumption that Cody is stupid, or somehow lacking in cognitive skills simply because he didn't got to Stanford. If that were to be the only way their relationship were to be expounded on, better to just ignore it entirely than rely on such a flimsy, and insulting premise.

Edited by Hermetically Sealed
  • Like 2

I'm sorry, did we ever find out what Kevin majors in? If it's vaguely related to what Cody does (and Cody apparently does his job quite efficiently?), that might be a common point of interest in which both have very profound things to contribute to a conversation.

I didn't get the impression Cody was a bookworm-type intellectual either, but I do feel he's quite intelligent, knowledgeable, and educated (just not from a post-secondary institution) and that the people he interacts with should be well aware of that. Brad and Robbie certainly are. So I think the two actually go quite well together.

And Kevin doesn't strike me as the high and mighty intellectual either. More like someone who is intelligent but lives in the real world.

• Like 1

But again, that makes the assumption that Cody is stupid, or somehow lacking in cognitive skills simply because he didn't got to Stanford. If that were to be the only way their relationship were to be expounded on, better to just ignore it entirely than rely on such a flimsy, and insulting premise.

There is a huge distance between being stupid and not being intellectually developed or intellectually curious. Cody can be smart in a lot of ways and great at what he does, but people who go to elite universities (and as much as it pains Tim, Stanford is an elite university) operate on a whole different plain, have different interests intellectually and those people share common experiences. I have seen big problems in my straight friends marriages where one person went to college and the other didn't and I mean problems that relate directly to the knowledge gulf or gap. Those that both went to college, still have problems, that just isn't one of them.

I'm sorry, did we ever find out what Kevin majors in? If it's vaguely related to what Cody does (and Cody apparently does his job quite efficiently?), that might be a common point of interest in which both have very profound things to contribute to a conversation.

I didn't get the impression Cody was a bookworm-type intellectual either, but I do feel he's quite intelligent, knowledgeable, and educated (just not from a post-secondary institution) and that the people he interacts with should be well aware of that. Brad and Robbie certainly are. So I think the two actually go quite well together.

And Kevin doesn't strike me as the high and mighty intellectual either. More like someone who is intelligent but lives in the real world.

I am pretty sure Stanford does not offer any majors in how to be a Hollywood agent, which is what Cody does. While most agents these days have four year degrees and many have law degrees, MBA's or both, it wasn't like that a while ago. Cody might be smart, probably is smart, but he would still lack a lot of that experience and knowledge that is common to college students in the books they read, the psych and philosophy classes they take, the sciences they study and so on. It doesn't mean that Cody is stupid, but when all the other guys are talking about such topics, it is bound to be awkward.

If Kevin is at Stanford he IS high and mighty intellectual. Not only are there no dummies at Stanford, even among the athletes, there are no mediocre intellects. Stanford gets the top 2%-3% of students in the country and students that are admitted lower than that, say in the top 7% would be the athletes or a disadvantaged student, but would still have a high GPA and test scores.

There is a huge distance between being stupid and not being intellectually developed or intellectually curious. Cody can be smart in a lot of ways and great at what he does, but people who go to elite universities (and as much as it pains Tim, Stanford is an elite university) operate on a whole different plain, have different interests intellectually and those people share common experiences. I have seen big problems in my straight friends marriages where one person went to college and the other didn't and I mean problems that relate directly to the knowledge gulf or gap. Those that both went to college, still have problems, that just isn't one of them.

And yet, not going to college does not mean someone isn't intellectually developed or curious. The most politically savvy individual I know graduated from HS with honors, was a national debate award winner, loves philosophy as well as history and religious studies, yet he dropped out of college his first year and works as a translator for the Air Force.

As to the gap between couples, I have to disagree also with that. Can there be problems? Certainly. Does the difference guarantee that? No. Just from those I know in similar situations, it's a similar interest in learning that matters more than whether or not one attended a college or not. Example, my parents are both voracious readers, their house filled with books in every room and even the hallways. My father has two degrees, while my mother has none. Yet, they both engage in frequent discussions on history, religion and politics. Another couple I know, the husband has no education outside of HS, while his wife has a degree. He loves to engage in historical and religious discussions, as well as learning how things work and relate to each other; his wife, not so much. If anything, she gets exasperated when he starts up such discussions with his friends because she has no interest and tends to get left out.

I have seen people, who are very intelligent go to elite schools, not out of a desire to learn more about the world, or expand themselves, merely to get the social prestige. Sure, they were able to handle the work load, and they weren't lazy about it. But there was no interest beyond what they needed to get through it. They don't care about intellectual discussion, nor care about what's going on in the world, unless it directly effects them.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to have problems in the situations you mention, just that in my personal experience, there is more to it than a simplistic, College= intellectually curious, Non-college=intellectual apathy. And so far the only argument that seems to be put forth in Kevin and Cody not surviving as a couple is; Cody is not a college graduate (that we know of) and therefor is intellectually apathetic, while Kevin is at an elite school and must be intellectually centered. To me that is simply a false argument based on limited facts (if any at all).

Edited by Hermetically Sealed
  • Like 1

And yet, not going to college does not mean someone isn't intellectually developed or curious. The most politically savvy individual I know graduated from HS with honors, was a national debate award winner, loves philosophy as well as history and religious studies, yet he dropped out of college his first year and works as a translator for the Air Force.

As to the gap between couples, I have to disagree also with that. Can there be problems? Certainly. Does the difference guarantee that? No. Just from those I know in similar situations, it's a similar interest in learning that matters more than whether or not one attended a college or not. Example, my parents are both voracious readers, their house filled with books in every room and even the hallways. My father has two degrees, while my mother has none. Yet, they both engage in frequent discussions on history, religion and politics. Another couple I know, the husband has no education outside of HS, while his wife has a degree. He loves to engage in historical and religious discussions, as well as learning how things work and relate to each other; his wife, not so much. If anything, she gets exasperated when he starts up such discussions with his friends because she has no interest and tends to get left out.

I have seen people, who are very intelligent go to elite schools, not out of a desire to learn more about the world, or expand themselves, merely to get the social prestige. Sure, they were able to handle the work load, and they weren't lazy about it. But there was no interest beyond what they needed to get through it. They don't care about intellectual discussion, nor care about what's going on in the world, unless it directly effects them.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to have problems in the situations you mention, just that in my personal experience, there is more to it than a simplistic, College= intellectually curious, Non-college=intellectual apathy. And so far the only argument that seems to be put forth in Kevin and Cody not surviving as a couple is; Cody is not a college graduate (that we know of) and therefor is intellectually apathetic, while Kevin is at an elite school and must be intellectually centered. To me that is simply a false argument based on limited facts (if any at all).

I would never pretend that going to college makes you intellectually curious or not going to college means you aren't, but I'd have to say that those are the norms. Louis L'Amour's autobiography, Education of a Wandering Man, talks about how many people he met self educated by reading the classics, but I would say that is rarer now than it used to be. I can't imagine too many people who didn't go to college reading Plato, Pliny, Cicero, Plutarch, et al or studying Maslow and Milgram for the fun of it. Again, I am sure there are exceptions, but I don't think them the rule.

Cody isn't a college graduate, didn't go at all that I remember and has never shown any interest in intellectual pursuits and hasn't done much to show huge ambition in advancing.

Everyone postulates and projects. I've known Kevins and Codys and I've never seen it work when the two get together.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to know the number of self taught I've encountered, although, I have met far less among the twenty-somethings and teens than I used to, which is disappointing.

I still really don't think we know enough about either to make a determination. The only thing we have ever seen of Kevin is as a sex companion. We have no clue about his interest in anything academically. In fact, about all we do know is that he likes big dicks and he has slept with a lot of guys, without remaining tied down to anyone until Cody. If anything, I think it will be their own sexual proclivities that do them in before anything else. lol

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..