21 minutes ago, aditus said:

I remember we had a package of tinsel that we used every year for many christmases. My mother would carefully remove the tinsel from the tree along with the lights and ornaments when we took the tree down. It would be packed away with the other decorations. We were very poor and my parents were extremely frugal.
;–)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aditus said:

I like that story! And I like the idea of spider ornaments. I want some of those. :) 

Spoiler

Regarding one thing the article mentioned, of the Child Jesus turning the cobwebs into silver and gold, I was reminded of a thing I learnt recently. In the Czech Republic (and I assume elsewhere in former Czechoslovakia and other countries in the area) gifts aren't brought by Santa Claus or Father Christmas, but by the Child Jesus. It's become a largely areligious tradition, and the baby appears sometimes depicted as a cupid-like cherub, or sometimes as an older child, often wearing something similar to a Santa hat. I find holiday traditions from across the world fascinating. :) 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I like that story! And I like the idea of spider ornaments. I want some of those. :) 

Hide contents

Regarding one thing the article mentioned, of the Child Jesus turning the cobwebs into silver and gold, I was reminded of a thing I learnt recently. In the Czech Republic (and I assume elsewhere in former Czechoslovakia and other countries in the area) gifts aren't brought by Santa Claus or Father Christmas, but by the Child Jesus. It's become a largely areligious tradition, and the baby appears sometimes depicted as a cupid-like cherub, or sometimes as an older child, often wearing something similar to a Santa hat. I find holiday traditions from across the world fascinating. :) 

When I was a child I didn't wait for Santa but the Christkind

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, aditus said:

When I was a child I didn't wait for Santa but the Christkind

Yes! That's another version of the same one. How fun! 

When my mum was a kid, they were visited by the Yule Goat. Didn't look anything like the Santa-like figure presented in that photo, though. Looked more like this:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Much like the children in this photo (from a 19th century Swedish children's book by Elsa Beskow) my mum hid under the table the first time she saw the Yule Goat... It was my grandfather in a mask, of course.

He used to be a thing in Swedish tradition as well. The name has just remained in Finland and is now used for Santa Claus. In Norway, we always had the 'nisse', which was part of the inspiration for the modern Santa Claus.

EDIT: We're way off topic now, we'd better stop.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Haha 3
11 minutes ago, Slytherin said:

Hey :angry: what are you doing hiding under my chair?!! :funny:

Well if Zombie’s hiding under your chair, he’s closer to the wasp and spider. Since the wasp isn’t flying around, they'll go after him first. That leaves you much safer because you’re standing on top of the chair!
;–)

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Well if Zombie’s hiding under your chair, he’s closer to the wasp and spider. Since the wasp isn’t flying around, they'll go after him first. That leaves you much safer because you’re standing on top of the chair!
;–)

The tarantula hawk is very unaggressive towards humans. You kind of have to want it to sting you, or step on it or something, at least according to this dude who got stung on purpose cause apparently that's his idea of fun. It's mostly only aggressive if you're a big-ass spider.

• Haha 2
  • Wow 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, JayR said:

Yuck... not a big fan of spiders actually 😅 but some pics really look breathtaking 

however, they'd better stay there in the pics hehe 

stay in the pics

...and stay in your mind  :evil:  :gikkle:

spacer.png

Edited by Zombie
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Zombie said:

stay in the pics

...and stay in your mind  :evil:  :gikkle:

spacer.png

whyyyyyyyy 🙈 my sweet dreams don't include these creatures gosh 😆

• Haha 3
  • 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator

For all of you that are skardy pants of spiders, snakes and such...

How about a bat that is actually the size of a human being, and wing span up to 5'6" 😮 

https://ca.yahoo.com/style/photo-human-sized-bat-philippines-180625737.html

image.png

I don't care if it is a vegetarian, I"d take a spider and snake, even venomous, over this thing :o 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, wildone said:

For all of you that are skardy pants of spiders, snakes and such...

How about a bat that is actually the size of a human being, and wing span up to 5'6" 😮 

https://ca.yahoo.com/style/photo-human-sized-bat-philippines-180625737.html

image.png

I don't care if it is a vegetarian, I"d take a spider and snake, even venomous, over this thing :o 

Have you never seen those videos of rescued baby bats wrapped in towels and being fed fruits like bananas? So adorable! Then again, anything man-sized other than an actual man is still a no for me. 😋

• Haha 2
  • 2 months later...