This has been some winter.  Snow covers most of the US:

SnowCover_zps9a0fc584.jpg

See that blank spot in the middle of Tennessee?  That's where I live.  We have had a cold, wet winter, including record low temperatures...but no snow.  Monster snow storms have passed by to the north, then to the south, then to north and south simultaneously.  And here we sit...no snow and dry streets.

Not complaining, you understand...just enjoying a little slice of global warming.  For what it's worth...Al Gore lives here too.

• Like 1

In (southwest) Finland where I live we are having unusually warm and rainy winter. Today it´s +3C (37F) when normally in February it´s something like -25C (-13F). And there´s no snow, in fact I was just doing some work in my garden  :huh:

This has been some winter.  Snow covers most of the US:

See that blank spot in the middle of Tennessee?  That's where I live.  We have had a cold, wet winter, including record low temperatures...but no snow.  Monster snow storms have passed by to the north, then to the south, then to north and south simultaneously.  And here we sit...no snow and dry streets.

Not complaining, you understand...just enjoying a little slice of global warming.  For what it's worth...Al Gore lives here too.

ooo, Mike! :P

You shouldn't just look at North America in isolation. At the same time as the US has been experiencing an exceptionally severe winter, the UK has been battered for over two months by Atlantic storms that normally track much further north.

Both these extreme weather events are connected, and both are connected with what's been going on in the Pacific. As you know I did  a recent blog on this and if you truly are interested in understanding what's going on then you should read the Met Office report which ties in the Pacific / US / Canada / UK weather events  :)

What's funny is the Brits are renowned for constantly banging on about the weather - it's our favourite national pastime - and guess what, Americans have been doing exactly the same for the last two months.

And that change is undeniable :P

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/1/2/Recent_Storms_Briefing_Final_SLR_20140211.pdf

• Like 1

No snow where I live - might have something to do with the fact that I perform a anti-snow dance every morning :P:funny: I'm not a big fan of snow :puke:  :gikkle: 

Thank you, thank you thank you. :worship: Your dancing ( I thought you wouldn't dance :huh: ) seems to work up to where I live. :glomp:

Thank you, thank you thank you. :worship: Your dancing ( I thought you wouldn't dance :huh: ) seems to work up to where I live. :glomp:

LOL - No, I don't dance in front of people, but in the privacy of my own house I dance all the time :funny::lol:

running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

Zombie, I will pass on the opportunity to debate global warming/climate change.  It would inevitably lead to political wrangling and prompt the forum moderators to close the topic as violating the rules.

Suffice it to say, the weather is crazy, but then it always is somewhere.  When it is crazy where you live, it becomes a topic of discussion.  When enough people are discussing it, a government agency will publish a paper on the subject.  When a government agency publishes a paper on the subject, it becomes political.

One thing weather is not...it is not political.

No snow where I live - might have something to do with the fact that I perform a anti-snow dance every morning :P:funny: I'm not a big fan of snow :puke:  :gikkle: 

Invites the bear to dance in my back yard - at night and inside the confines of our privacy fence.  More than twice the average annual snowfall in our area is quite enough!

• Like 1

Zombie, I will pass on the opportunity to debate global warming/climate change.  It would inevitably lead to political wrangling and prompt the forum moderators to close the topic as violating the rules.

Shame you chose not to read the Met Office report Mike. But I quite understand.

All those bothersome facts and data.

All that detailed but oh-so-tiresome scientific analysis.

All that measured language.

All those irritating considered opinions by world class meteorologists working for the the world's leading Meteorological agency.

And how inconvenient that the well educated leader of Britain, who last time I checked is of a like-minded persuasion to you, should be entirely comfortable with and fully accept its data analysis and findings :gikkle:

Oh, and btw, I believe it was you who was taking the swipes, Mike :lol: *checks Mike's first post - nods head sagely :funny:* - the only "change" I referred to is the unusual interest of Americans in the weather :P So I do hope you will now stop wingeing about the weather. It really is getting tiresome.

• Site Moderator

Generally speaking, most people are more concerned with the weather conditions in their part of the world. And like everyone else, I too get tired of listening to the same stuff over and over again and again. I know one thing for certain. Weather is constantly changing.

OMG, imagine if the weather didn't change at all!!  :o Or if there was no weather. 'What's the weather like today?' 'Same as yesterday: non-existent.'

Well it would still be weather, even if it would be always the same weather. I agree with you, though, it would be boring and we had one topic less making small talk, oh my. And what should I write on my postcards?????

I love pesky facts, scientific lingo and such, but that should be expected, right.

It snowed another couple of inches last night, and snow removal is starting to become a serious issue. Because of all the snow we've had so far this year, and the fact that this is a very crowded, built-up urban area, they have no place left to put it. So, along almost every major road there are view-blocking snowbanks throughout, and they have actually stopped plowing many residential streets because they are running out of resources and there is no place to put them. 

Sly, I am inviting you to dance in my yard when you finish in Kitt's. The snow has been messy and constant this year. I would willingly ship some of the snow storms back West so California wasn't having such a dry spell. What is going to be bad is the melt this year. I can bet parts of the country are going to be really soaked as all that snow melts and heads out of the mountains and into streams and rivers.

• Like 1

Sly, I am inviting you to dance in my yard when you finish in Kitt's.

I'll drive the little blue one out there as soon as she is done here. Start lunch and I will call when we are 5 or 10 min out so you can put the kettle on!

I was told by a woman today that my town was rated #6 in the highest amount of snowfall in the U.S. this year. I don't like my town very much right now.

But doesn't getting to look at throngs of very hot UM boys make it worth while? :P 

As bundled up in layers of clothing and coats as they are right now? No.

But just think when spring rolls around....If UM is anything like my campus, its eye candy galore, x10,000 because of how big that school is. :P To me it would be worth it, haha. 

• Like 1

But just think when spring rolls around....If UM is anything like my campus, its eye candy galore, x10,000 because of how big that school is. :P To me it would be worth it, haha. 

When the spring come around and even in the summer it's a much different situation. You can crash your car looking around if you're not careful.